Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 Election Results are in. One clear winner. >

Election Results are in. One clear winner.

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Election Results are in. One clear winner.

Old 11-23-2005, 11:19 AM
J_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Election Results are in. One clear winner.

The results of the AMA election are in. The clear winner is... apathy, IMO.

“AMA Election Results

For EVP
Doug Holland 5667
Horrace Cain 2542

For Dist 3VP
Bob Brown 871

For Dist7VP
Bill Oberdeick 916

For Dist11VP
Bruce Nelson 640

Congratulations to the winners ..!

Dave Brown
AMA President"

AND FROM 2003

2003 Election Results
(Added 11/26/02)

Executive Vice President
Doug Holland 12,585
Doug Barry 3,689
Horrace Cain 3,155

District III
Bob Brown 1,866

District IV
Bliss Teague
Randy Elliot 1,099

District VII
Bill Oberdieck 1,437
Dave Gish 827

District XI
Bruce Nelson 1,112

Old 11-23-2005, 11:43 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Election Results are in. One clear winner.

Dang my write in for BB didn't show. At least the Most helpful person from that big state LOST.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts

suprising how many didn't vote for holland this time around. 7000 or so less than he got last time.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:24 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Some just don't want to waste the time to beat a dead horse and make it drink
Old 11-23-2005, 05:55 PM
J_R

Mongo

Spin the numbers anyway you like. There are certainly a number of ways to do so.

The bottom line is that last time about 19,400 of the approximate 175000 members, or about 11% of the membership, voted. This time about 8200 of the 1650000 members, or 5% of the membership, voted.

Of course, that was after leveling the playing field by not showing the voter who was the incumbent on the ballot.

Perhaps the mass apathy was caused by the lack of prepaid ballots. Do you suppose spending $.37 to vote ran off fully half of the voters?

Maybe the AMA board should be elected by the 3000-3500 leader members. It sure would save a lot of money by not having to send ballots to the circular files of so many uninterested members. Hmm. Probably could never get a by-law change to do that… too much apathy to raise the issue.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:55 PM

ORIGINAL: J_R

Mongo

Spin the numbers anyway you like. There are certainly a number of ways to do so.

The bottom line is that last time about 19,400 of the approximate 175000 members, or about 11% of the membership, voted. This time about 8200 of the 1650000 members, or 5% of the membership, voted.

Of course, that was after leveling the playing field by not showing the voter who was the incumbent on the ballot.

Perhaps the mass apathy was caused by the lack of prepaid ballots. Do you suppose spending $.37 to vote ran off fully half of the voters?

Maybe the AMA board should be elected by the 3000-3500 leader members. It sure would save a lot of money by not having to send ballots to the circular files of so many uninterested members. Hmm. Probably could never get a by-law change to do that… too much apathy to raise the issue.
How hard is it. The only way Holland could have lost is if he were convicted of a lurid sex crime - he keeps such a low profile that nobody knows what he does, so the assumption is that it's magic and AMA can't survive without him. The rest were unopposed. People weren't apathetic, they knew the score before the game was played.

Abel
Old 11-23-2005, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never got an election ballot
Old 11-23-2005, 09:01 PM

ORIGINAL: J_R
Sounds like an excellent way to stuff the ballot box, McNeill style.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:07 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts

just somewhat suprised that, with someone as contentious as horace running, and tony's late entry as a write in, that there were not more votes cast in that particular race.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:42 PM
J_R

ORIGINAL: mongo

just somewhat suprised that, with someone as contentious as horace running, and tony's late entry as a write in, that there were not more votes cast in that particular race.
The official results are now on the AMA site. Write-ins for EVP were a total of 57. We know that at least one was for BasinBum, according to vicman.

Old 11-24-2005, 12:44 AM

Dam, didn't win. Congrats to Doug and good to see a strong showing for Horrace.

I looked on the AMA site, couldn't find a break down of write ins. Just curious.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:01 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With only one office in contention, I can easily understand why there were so few votes. Maybe we need term limits or at least an office must have two candidates. Some of the VPs have been in office forever - I'm not sure if mine is even a modeler.

Paul
Old 11-25-2005, 09:33 PM

ORIGINAL: RCPAUL

Maybe we need term limits . Paul
Word.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:43 PM

With only one office in contention, I can easily understand why there were so few votes. Maybe we need term limits or at least an office must have two candidates. Some of the VPs have been in office forever - I'm not sure if mine is even a modeler.

Paul
Paul, would you please answer these questions for ignorant me?

1. Why are there no candidates running against the majority of incumbents?

2. How would "term limits" create more candidates at the incumbent's term expiration?

3. If a potential candidate is too afraid of being defeated in a contested election, do you think he will be worth a tinker's-dam when facing a group of strong experienced bureaucrats or will he become just another 'Me too, Me too" flunky as most do?

4. Since the AMA consists of such a vast majority of politically irresponsible members with little interest and/or knowledge of the stated objectives of the Academy, and they have no interest in ridding the Academy of the deadwood. Therefore I ask, why do you think that deadwood would entertain a Bylaws change to set elected officer term limits, thus ending their own time, when as things are, they can remain , as you state, "....in office forever?"

5. Why do people prefer a law/rule to relieve these people from their duty and responsibility of properly exercising their ballot and also going out among other voters to sway those others to also cast a ballot?
Old 11-26-2005, 01:58 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You will have to write to and ask Joyce for that info. She will provide it to you...

Old 11-26-2005, 08:51 PM

Please don't limit my ballot choices by throwing out perfectly good incumbents.

For nearly thirty years District V corporately abdicated it's collective responsibility to hold the DVP accountable. Now that we finally have a good DVP in Tony Stillman, I'd kinda like to keep him around for as long as he wants the job, and yes he's doing a good job.

And . . . what about "at least an office must have two candidates" ? Or what ? The election is cancelled ? The incumbent gets to keep the job if only one opponent shows up ? Someone gets nominated against their will ? What ?

District V may hold the sole distinction of having had a District Vice President who never collected a single vote for any position at all, club, district, or National. That sad condition resulted from District V members failing to exercise their vote, or simply for not caring that the District was dysfunctional for over two decades.

Yes, term limits would have stopped that nonsense short.

OTOH IMHO District V well and truly deserved the McNeill political machine and all that it entailed. The only reason things have changed down here is due largely to the fact that the old goat died in office. I'd like to think that Tony's second campaign would have defeated McNeill, but we'll never know.

Even so, I am not in favor of term limits because it lets the membership off the hook for monitoring the antics of the incumbent, and also because term limits arbitrarily evict the few incumbents who are actually doing a good job.

Enacting term limits would mean Tony Stillman, Dave Mathewson, and Andy Argenio, the newbies on the EC, have a limited amount of time to try to make things work the way they should have worked all along.

We're just now beginning to see some results from the changing of the guard over the last two elections, so please lets not shoot ourselves in the foot by throwing out the good ones just to rid ourselves of dunderheads.

$0.37, adjusted for inflation.

Old 11-26-2005, 10:23 PM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't realize how many HANGING CHADS there must be !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:10 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Here is another question Hoss:

Why would anyone vote for someone who continually insults their intelligence in a public forum?

You might want to think about that one for a little while.

Mike Wizynajtys
AMA 553158
Old 12-07-2005, 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Mike Wiz

Why would anyone vote for someone who continually insults their intelligence in a public forum?

Mike Wizynajtys
AMA 553158
Maybe I could better answer your question if, after reading your second sentence above, I fully knew your intention of the indefinite pronoun "their" within its intended reference to which of the nominal pronouns "anyone" and "someone".
Old 12-07-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Maybe I could better answer your question if, after reading your second sentence above, I fully knew your intention of the indefinite pronoun "their" within its intended reference to which of the nominal pronouns "anyone" and "someone".
Is that a real sentence?
Old 12-07-2005, 09:50 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Apathy? You bet. No horserace if there is only one horse running
Old 12-08-2005, 01:22 AM
My Feedback: (58)

Mike Wizynajtys
AMA 553158
Good going there Hoss! Textbook example of Aswrefg. I am glad you are on your side.

Not hard to understand! Hoss gets all warm and fuzzy right before whatever election he is running in, but quickly reverts back to Horsehead, or whatever end he is, immediately thereafter. He never wins because people never forget. LOL

People may forget your words but they will never forget how you make them feel.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:57 AM

Mike Wizynajtys
AMA 553158
OK. Lets try it again. I continually see you come here on these boards and insult the intelligence of the general membership and anyone else who doesn't subscribe to your views. What boggles my mind is then you ask these same people to vote for you. Why would they vote for you after you've insulted them?

Wiz
Old 12-08-2005, 12:39 PM

OK. Lets try it again. I continually see you come here on these boards and insult the intelligence of the general membership and anyone else who doesn't subscribe to your views. What boggles my mind is then you ask these same people to vote for you. Why would they vote for you after you've insulted them?

Wiz
It is not their intelligence that is what you perceive as "insulted", but the ignorance they display when the answers are at their finger tips. Now if I went to some Computer Group and ask such questions about computers, then I would be readily displaying my ignorance of many subjects that with a little research, I might easily find. In that case I would be insulting my own intelligence simply by grossly displaying undue ignorance, which I could easily correct.

OTOH I find it very strange that when those persons that have so many gripes against an organization (in this case the AMA) will select their elected officers based on ignorance of the organization's directions, the incumbent's achievement and/or lack thereof, along with what is really happening within the organization and the incumbent's position within those happenings and directions. When given an opportunity to secure changes for the betterment of all, or at least a change of direction, so many individuals vote for the status quo which they are complaining about, or just simply ignore their opportunity to direct changes, that is, they refuse to vote.

Unfortunately, many individuals rather use personality and the proverbial "baby-kissing" as their selection of a candidate rather than one that will sort the issues, find the corruption and bring it to light, inform the constituency, and fight for change for the better.
Many of the problems we face daily are definite proof of such mentality geared mainly to self-gratification.

So Mike, it basically boils down to one thing. The AMA membership has had an opportunity to redirect their organization for several years running. The majority of the membership has ignored the issues, and actually, it is difficult for me to accept that item as a sign of triple digit I.Q. performance.

Hopefully you will again have some choices, yet I don't think many of you will go out and campaign for any thing other than, "What will you do for me?" The current AMA hierarchy isn't going to do a darn thing for YOU the member. For sure, you have lost the chance of electing one individual member that would really have accomplished something for you. AMA's future and your wellbeing are simply no longer any of my concern.

The great Hobbico Giant is about to topple. Failure is imminent. AMA will not be far behind, or at least AMA as we have known AMA, especially prior to about ten years ago. You people are getting exactly what you have EARNED.

Old 12-08-2005, 12:55 PM

Well Horrace, I for one have never doubted your willingness to do what you think is best for the AMA. We may not agree on several things, but your intentions always seem to be good. Voters don't have to agree with everything a person stands for as long as they agree on the more important issues. In this past election, I think you may have been be a bit under qualified for the office, but you made up for some of that in determination. Where you failed is in the charm department. Most people can't hear your message through all the contempt you show in your responses to those of a differing point of view. That's too bad.

Wiz

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.