Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 Drug Testing >

Drug Testing

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
20.97%
No
79.03%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Drug Testing

Old 12-29-2005, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drug Testing

Should there be random drug testing at AMA sponsored events and all major competitions?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Drug Testing

My plane has a tough time hitting the cup, and it doesn't like to go in public anyway.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:12 PM

Sure! What kind of drugs are you bringing?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:15 PM
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about drug testing for people creating RCU polls?
Old 12-29-2005, 11:15 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Are there drugs that improve flying ability? What are they and where can I get some?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:33 AM

Ummm....My plane has shy bladder....
Seriousy though, I am not completely opposed to drug testing on its face, but how it is done, when it is done, and what the ramifications would be would need to be well spelled out. For example, if it is a major event,top gun, etc... I would have no problem with a urine test being done prior to the event,prior to contestants arriving, as a term of eligability. There are enough private places local to everyone that do these everyday for companies, it would be easy enough to get one done and have the rsults sent to the CD.
It could be said it is not only a safety issue, but a PR issue. Now I know there will be those who say well we never have had a drug problem before, and that's true. Nevertheless, waiting til we do have a problem may not be a good idea either.
What I would be against is local clubs with small AMA sanctioned events trying to implement this idea. Local CD's have enough ***** to deal with we do not need urine too.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:44 AM

ghostrider23
Good god man - what about our personal freedoms? What is the purpose of this? What good can possibly come from it? If someone is obviously intoxicated the locals can call the police.

It bothers me profoundly that you would even think such a thing is necessary and even more that you don't seem to recognise the implications this could have! What next - drug testing before the company christmas party?

John
Old 12-30-2005, 09:28 AM

Do you have any idea how much each drug screen would cost? If not, try doing some research. If so, would you like to pick up the tab yourself at each event? I wouldn't.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:31 AM

I give my plane steriods.....

While sadly, I can't reproduce.... it sure is a strong flyer!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:35 AM

Pretty gross Avitar there Exeter.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:28 AM

Well let me be the first to officially designate our new member Ghostrider23 as a TROLL. One post and this is what he came up with? Is this the most controversial subject he could think up? The more amazing thing is there are already 4 people on the poll (not counting the Troll) that answered yes.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:41 AM

I think what Ghostrider23 is suggesting is that a competitor might take something to calm the nerves.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:42 PM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 85 Likes on 75 Posts

seems more like a sideways dig at a certain past and curent F3A competitor who had a widely known cocaine problem.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:07 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Will someone please close this troll thread or deleate it. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:14 PM

ORIGINAL: SoCal GliderGuider

Sure! What kind of drugs are you bringing?

Old 12-30-2005, 02:53 PM
My Feedback: (14)

There should be random ego testing to determine if there are people who are trying to fly models that are beyond their current capabilities and blaming everything else when they have a problem.[8D]
ORIGINAL: ghostrider23

Should there be random drug testing at AMA sponsored events and all major competitions?
Old 12-30-2005, 04:06 PM

John:
It bothers me profoundly that you would even think such a thing is necessary and even more that you don't seem to recognise the implications this could have! What next - drug testing before the company christmas party?

John
Ghostrider ask a question. He did not state an opinion as to his own thoughts.

While I was subjected to many random drug and alcohol tests in my profession, and I have no sympathy for either those that use drugs or excessive alcohol, I fully support what SSRCCPREZ said, >>>>"What I would be against is local clubs with small AMA sanctioned events trying to implement this idea. Local CD's have enough **** to deal with we do not need urine too."<<<<

In addition, gr23 stated "....AMA sponsored events..." and "....all major competitions." Here is where the item gets sticky. An AMA Sanctioned Event is generally sponsored by the HOST CLUB, not AMA.
Now, what constitutes a "....major competition?" Why "competition" with no mention of major Fly-In events? IMO, those major FLY-INS should be more scrutinized than a competition since the Fly-In crowd, as a group, is considerably less self-disciplined than those that compete by a standard set of rules and safety considerations. (42 years as an ACTIVE CD instills this in me. )

In this case, this discussion could well be more informative if the originator further examined the whole picture, and narrowed his search.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:36 PM

Why not?

Before you sling the whole "personal freedom" idea out there, let's remember that your "personal freedom" stops where the law begins. It is, quite simply, against the law to use controlled substances. That being the case, sorry folks, you don't HAVE any expectation that your "personal freedom" will be protected...at least, not any mythical "personal freedom" to use illegal drugs. The "personal freedom" you have is the freedom to choose to break the law...and pay the consequences if you're caught.

Of course, the law may not be to your liking...you may think the law is wrong. Fine. An RC forum is hardly the place to discuss that though.

If we're speaking of legal drugs...such as alcohol...then it's clearly a greyer area.

However, the suggestion that you have a responsibility to present yourself clear of mind and sound of body, without being under the influence, at an event where the safety of others depends upon your reaction and judgement certainly seems to meet the criteria of a prima facie argument. Furthermore, at least initially, it seems reasonable to suggest that the individual(s) and/or organization accepting liability for the event would want to ensure that you have done so.

So yeah...at least in some cases (remember...we're speaking in general terms not specifics here) the idea seems perfectly reasonable.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:49 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I think that this is definitely more of a PR issue. There should also be alcohol testing. I also think that it should be up to the CD in most cases, but I think that this should take place before/during a well publicized event(TAC, Nats, DLM, Top Gun Etc.) Let's face it. If someone shoots up in the wrong place before a flight and while he is flying he kicks the bucket,(so to speak) how is this going to look on model aviation internationally(think baseball). Definitely before/during F3A trials where any nation is represented, but that will need to be done professionally(unlike what's happening to Lance Armstrong). I also think that a club hosting a small event that will represent RC and help their reputation in their community should definitely do random alcohol testing(breathalyzer/strait line) as that could easily be achieved. The drug testing would be difficult to monitor, but needs to be done during major who's the best type of contest.

Woops
Old 12-30-2005, 06:42 PM

This troll doesn't merit discussion.
Old 12-30-2005, 06:45 PM

Is there a problem at contests or major events that drug testing will fix? Oh, I know ... it will identify banned steroids whose use might enhance the performance of those competing in hand-launched glider competition. [sm=bananahead.gif]

Mike
Old 12-30-2005, 07:06 PM
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: the-plumber

Nope, and it's sad how many are taking it seriously.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:52 PM

ORIGINAL: MrMike

Is there a problem at contests or major events that drug testing will fix?
One might submit that safety is a series of steps taken to AVOID problems before they occur, rather than react to them once they have.

ORIGINAL: the-plumber

And, you'll note, none of us are discussing the troll...save you.

We ARE discussing the ISSUE (s)he raised. Perhaps some think it's an issue worthy of discussion. Perhaps others (such as myself) think it's interesting merely as an exercise in rhetoric. In either case, it seems to me that it serves nobody to enter a discussion with no contribution beyond "I don't find this discussion to be of value."
Old 12-30-2005, 08:47 PM

I'm sorry I got sucked into answering. The question is "Should there be random drug testing at AMA sponsored events and all major competitions?" Part of my answer was "What is the purpose of this? What good can possibly come from it?" Is this in response to performance drugs that competitive sports has banned?

Horace this has nothing to do with a condition of employment. It is an example of thinking that more rules and regulations can solve social problems.

GBoulton says "One might submit that safety is a series of steps taken to AVOID problems before they occur, rather than react to them once they have." I am truly tired of having big brother dictate laws in order to assure my safety. Safety is my responsibilty. Let OSHA write rules for our model airplanes and they will have cages on the propellors, guarding around the motors and mufflers so you can't get burned and a monorail in the sky that you hook your plane up to so a radio failure won't have any unexpected departures. Totally safe.

John
Old 12-30-2005, 09:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is crat.
If anyone has a drug or alcohol problem, they can be disqualified by the CD, and thrown off the site.
He is LAW at the event. He needs no more evidence than he feels comfortable with.
Do some real good for all of us by stopping illegal imigrants from entering the country
Do something really usefull with your frightned brain.[sm=thumbdown.gif]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.