Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 What status to fly in International RC competitions for Team USA? >

What status to fly in International RC competitions for Team USA?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Both American legal residents and citizens
53.45%
Citizens only
46.55%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

What status to fly in International RC competitions for Team USA?

Old 01-13-2006, 07:57 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What status to fly in International RC competitions for Team USA?

Ok Dion I will explain how it's different, First off the pro teams are privately owned and do not represent the united states of America they only play here and as a privately owned buisiness the owner is free to hire any one he or she chooses. Now on the other hand the U.S. olympic team is made up of only U.S. citizens. pro athletes from other countries play for their home countries. (example) Yao Ming who plays for the Nba Houston Rockets he is a chinese citizen and at olympics time he plays basketball for the chinese national team. If he was to become a naturalized citizen of the U.S. he could then play for the U.S. if he so choosed. So my vote is any U.S. team should be comprised of U.S. citizens only
Old 01-13-2006, 08:07 AM
My Feedback: (21)

and do not represent the united states of America
Oh please, pro athletes don't represent the USA? Come on ... have you ever been outside the USA and looked to the inside. Or just looked from the inside. Pro athletes are heros and legends of the USA and are symbols of our country and our freedom since day one.

Maybe not on paper they don't represent us (except of course when they do play Internationally in exhibition games quite frequently) but in the public and politcal image pro athletes more then represent the USA and what we are about. Representation of one's country means much more then just a multi million dollar contract.

Try telling one of your young relatives that pro athletes don't represent the USA. Tell them there is no Santa Claus while your at it.

The only difference is that it's just more accepted and the "norm" that pro athletes can be citizens or non citizens. You've been conditioned and brainwashed I guess from the powerful and rich owners of sports teams and media stations and publications to spend your hard earned dollars on overpriced tickets to watch non US citizen athletes play games on your home soil. Welcome to America, the land of opportunity.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:13 AM
My Feedback: (5)

Old 01-13-2006, 08:24 AM

Old 01-13-2006, 08:35 AM
My Feedback: (1)

No professional teams do not represent the U. S. They are privately owned buisinesses and while some pro teams will play exhibition games in other countries they do not represent the U.S. in any world games we have U.S. teams for that. (example) The U.S. dream team (olympic basketball) all team members were professional players All were also U.S. citizens. and another Miracle on ice Hockey team all members were U.S. citizens and if memory serves correctly All were amateurs at the time of their gold medal win.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:49 AM

Couldn't let this pass up either. If you're Tier1(accredited high school diploma), you need a score of aroung 35(depending on which service). If Tier2(non-accredited high school diploma) you need a score around 50(depending on which service).
Thanks for keeping an eye out on me woops and cross referencing my posts, I really appreciate that! I certainly don't want to sound like a fool in my research.

You my man!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:11 AM

some pro teams will play exhibition games in other countries they do not represent the U.S. in any world games we have U.S. teams for that.
Tell that to the countries that they play. You can try to keep pushing this fact till I'm blue in the face, but you're wrong.

Why do many pro athletes wear an American flag on their jersey's or helmet's? Why do we sing the national anthem before each professional game? Why do they play 2 national anthems if 2 countries are playing each other like in hockey when we play Canadian teams?? Heck we even stand for their national anthem. I can sing "Oh Canada" better then our own. BECAUSE PRO ATHLETES REPRESENT THEIR COUNTRIES!

I mean come on dude, how can you say that pro sports don't represent America?
Old 01-13-2006, 10:14 AM

I CANT BELIEVE STL IS STILL ARGUING WITH HIMSELF ABOUT LAST NITES POST WHERE HE INSULTED ME THEN WHINED ABOUT ME GETTING EVEN BY INSULTING HIM BACK SHEESH GET OVER IT AND TAKE UR MEDICATION
Old 01-13-2006, 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: LeeL

... and as a privately owned buisiness the owner is free to hire any one he or she chooses.

Actually, I thought that most private companies had to sponsor foreign citizens for green cards, and that in order to do so they had to show that there were no US citizens that met the job requirements. Is this not the case???

I am not sure how sports teams get around this since I am sure there are plenty of qualified US players in any sport.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:26 AM
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70
Does your mommy know you are writing that kind of stuff? Sounds like you might need a bar of soap for that little potty mouth! .................................kids nowadays
I'm amazed you guys are actually feeding that troll.
You are right Chuck. I took the bait, hook, line, and sinker! Time for me to refocus on the good debate, and not allow myself to be reeled in so easily!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:41 AM

ORIGINAL: LeeL

Ok Dion I will explain how it's different, First off the pro teams are privately owned and do not represent the united states of America they only play here and as a privately owned buisiness the owner is free to hire any one he or she chooses. Now on the other hand the U.S. olympic team is made up of only U.S. citizens. pro athletes from other countries play for their home countries. (example) Yao Ming who plays for the Nba Houston Rockets he is a chinese citizen and at olympics time he plays basketball for the chinese national team. If he was to become a naturalized citizen of the U.S. he could then play for the U.S. if he so choosed. So my vote is any U.S. team should be comprised of U.S. citizens only
To save me some typing, I will just quote your post because I agree with it 100%. Privately owned Teams SHOULD have the freedom to hire whoever they like! World Teams should be comprised of citizens from there own countries. In a country comprised of 250 million Americans, I would find it hard to believe that you would be unable to find enough American Citizens to make up a World Team! If money is the issue than maybe some kind of grant or something should be set up to assist those American Pilots who posses awesome flying skills, but lack the funds to compete. I am not sure if that is the right answer to the situation, but I am sure there are things that could be done to make certain you have enough American Flyers to make up a Team!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:48 AM

Does anyone remember the story of the Jamaican Bob Sled Team in the Winter Olympics? They even made a movie about it! Would that story have been that good if those people had all been imported from other countries where Bob Sledding is common? The story is great because Jamaicans were manning that sled, and Bob Sledding is something you just don't normally associate with Jamaica! How proud do you recon them Jamaicans were?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:16 PM
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: piper_chuck

Does your mommy know you are writing that kind of stuff? Sounds like you might need a bar of soap for that little potty mouth! .................................kids nowadays
I'm amazed you guys are actually feeding that troll.
You are right Chuck. I took the bait, hook, line, and sinker! Time for me to refocus on the good debate, and not allow myself to be reeled in so easily!
I just used the block function on him. Remember the old adage "children should be seen, but not heard"? I can see that he's posting, but his ravings are magically hidden.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:22 PM

Thanks for the tip Chuck! I had never used that feature before! Really makes the thread much more enjoyable to read now!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:25 PM

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

some pro teams will play exhibition games in other countries they do not represent the U.S. in any world games we have U.S. teams for that.
Tell that to the countries that they play. You can try to keep pushing this fact till I'm blue in the face, but you're wrong.

Why do many pro athletes wear an American flag on their jersey's or helmet's? Why do we sing the national anthem before each professional game? Why do they play 2 national anthems if 2 countries are playing each other like in hockey when we play Canadian teams?? Heck we even stand for their national anthem. I can sing "Oh Canada" better then our own. BECAUSE PRO ATHLETES REPRESENT THEIR COUNTRIES!

I mean come on dude, how can you say that pro sports don't represent America?
You allegedly wanted this poll to be non-biased, but it's now clear that this thread is really just your attempt to push your own agenda. You didn't like the way the last thread on this EXACT SAME SUBJECT turned out, so you decided to bring it up again. What a surprise, nothing new is being said here! It's just the same old stuff (SOS) being said over and over.

This thread isn't about military service or professional athletes/teams, it's about people flying model airplanes. You asked people for their opinions, and we're giving them to you. This US citizen wants our national teams to be made up of US citizens. You want to disagree? Fine! You're not going to change my mind and I'm not going to change yours. Which is more important to you, HEARING what others have to say, or pushing your own political agenda?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the tip Chuck! I had never used that feature before! Really makes the thread much more enjoyable to read now!
You're welcome! As a bonus, he can't even complain directly to you, it blocks PMs too.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:39 PM

I think the poll is doing a pretty good job at showing where the majority of people stand on this issue! As more time passes I look for the poll to become even more lopsided! My prediction is that the poll will stabilize around the 75% vs 25% mark. If my prediction is right, you are looking at 75 people out of 100 believe a U.S World Team should be U.S Citizens. If the poll runs long enough 750 out of a 1000 or 7,500 out of 10,000 or 75,000 out of 100,000 or 750,000 out of 1,000,000 etc etc etc. These numbers would probally be comparable to Abe Lincoln running against the Local Dog Catcher! So you have a real up hill battle convincing me that the dog catcher would be better suited President than good ole Honest Abe!
Old 01-13-2006, 12:46 PM

I think the poll is doing a pretty good job at showing where the majority of people stand on this issue!
Yup, just like the last one. It's a pity someone has such a hard time accepting this.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:00 PM

Old 01-13-2006, 01:13 PM

SAVE MOTHER EARTH!!!!!
Burn coal to stay warm this winter.

woops

Actually Illinois stripped coal is loaded with sulpher[:'(] and not quite as friendly to the planet as the good eastern coal. Strip Mining in my area did make for some nice habitat and lakes for critters though since stripped ground is undesirable to farmers. Very few mines left in the Middle of the Country, and my father in law was lucky to retire from the mine just right before it closed due to the fact eastern coal is so much better and cleaner! Just wanted to put my .02 cents in on your signature!

Back on topic:
Could the minority view please reverify their position on this issue? So you would not be opposed if an entire American World Team was made up of Non American Citizens? Or do you feel that a certain percentage should be Americans with a couple spots left open for non-Americans? I want to make sure I understand the minority position clearly!
Old 01-13-2006, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: woops

These numbers would probally be comparable to Abe Lincoln running against the Local Dog Catcher! So you have a real up hill battle convincing me that the dog catcher would be better suited President than good ole Honest Abe!
UH, what does the local dog catcher support?
The local dog catcher in my off the wall prediction represents "non U.S Citizens"! Honest Abe represents "Citizens Only".
Old 01-13-2006, 01:17 PM

I think the poll is doing a pretty good job at showing where the majority of people stand on this issue!
Majority, yes. Overwhelming majority, no. This poll PERFECTLY shows that when you let the people do the thinking for themselves polls can be more well balanced. The last poll was 89 / 11. This poll is now 60 / 40.

But hey .... I'm the bad guy.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

Majority, yes. Overwhelming majority, no.
You are correct. I believe the overwhelming majority will show up as some more time passes! Just my opinion though!
Old 01-13-2006, 01:21 PM

Old 01-13-2006, 01:23 PM

Well if either one of you knew ANYTHING about statistics this poll has already shown many things.

Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.