Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Ready to sell my Stuff and send AMA their Membership Card Back!

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Ready to sell my Stuff and send AMA their Membership Card Back!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 12:31 PM
BlenderBender

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready to sell my Stuff and send AMA their Membership Card Back!

Ok...well here is the Story....

We learned last year we were going to be losing our field due to the sale and development of the land this club had flown on for 31 years. About the same time we heard one of the other clubs in the area was being pushed out also by the county ... it was being developed also. So I am guessing all in all there will be somewhere around 150 members in this club.
So after months of trying to find a alternative site we found a piece of county land that was purchased with funds that would not permit it to be resold for development and it was zoned for active recreation only.. we thought this was perfect! The down side was the land was back to its native state in other words very rough! After months of working with the county through all the usage agreement and with the AMA to have the club chartered with the additional insurance to cover the county... the public hearings .......the board of county commissioners .... we finally got this thing sign off on and we could start developing the site... which meant disking and leveling and planting seed and waiting!

So everything was going according to plan we were on the site which is a beautiful site it is like a green patch of land in the middle of the moon! lol 8 acre's to be exact.

Then last weekend so people came out and said " well I guess we just lost our flying site " we were kinda puzzled what they were talking about and he explained that they were down the road about a mile and that there were 4 guys all together flying gliders on Sundays the road in a cow pasture and they would have to find somewhere else to fly. We asked them to join and they didn't like that idea to much stating that when they fly they are kinda all over being gliders and they are in the air for long periods of time.... but they had other places they could fly. So we didn't think to much about it.

Then last weekend they called and said that they changed their minds and that they were going to continue to fly there and that we needed to work out some sort of freq arrangement ... now there were 10 guys instead of 4 and they wanted us to block off 8 channels for them to use. Well it didn't sit real well with us so we contacted AMA to see how this could be handled ... we were told that if we didn't give them what they wanted that we were in direct violation of AMAs rules and that we would lose our charter even though they were not a charted club and we had no way of knowing that they were even flying there.

This has struck a nerve with a lot of the members let me remind you that just lost 2 fields.... And they can't understand how the AMA would back 4 guys flying in a cow pasture that nobody even knew about versus 150 AMA member flying at a chartered club?

Are we wrong in the way we are looking at this??
Old 03-01-2006, 12:39 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: Ready to sell my Stuff and send AMA their Membership Card Back!

when you, individually, and yall, as a group, sign the AMA membership application and charter application, you, in the royal sense, sell you soul to the AMA and agree to abide by all their rules. not their fault that yall, the group, did not do complete due dilligence in checking out the new area for other nearby users.
hardnosed attitude, yes, but ya gotta read and abide by all the fine print, or don't play in the game.
Silent-AV8R

Somehow I would bet that what you were told by AMA was NOT that you had to give them what they wanted, but rather that you needed to work out a plan. That plan may, or may not, have been what "they wanted". The AMA does require clubs to work out a plan if they are within 3 miles of each other.

Are these guys a club?? Are they AMA members?? If so, and they refuse to work something out then they are not in compliance with the safety code.

In the end are you saying that all the hard work that you guys did to get this field, which sounds great, is worth flushing away because out of 50 channels giving up 8 of them is unreasonable??
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

They (the AMA) has no choice. The glider guys have rights (granted by the FCC) to the frequencies as well. Of course it is in their best interests (the glider guys) to work something out as well.

The glider guys apparently do not need AMA sanction and you do, and the AMA cannot have you operating with a known source of interference that close. THe AMA has no recourse and no authority over the glider guys at all

I would take the 8 frequency deal and celebrate, sounds like you are coexisting with some level headed guys. That or you could offer to buy them all spread spectrum radios, they might go for it.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:47 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Phaedrus-MMVI

<snip>
In the end are you saying that all the hard work that you guys did to get this field, which sounds great, is worth flushing away because out of 50 channels giving up 8 of them is unreasonable??
Exactly. If that's too much of a compromise, then do sell all your stuff and send your AMA card back to Muncie.

Abel
Old 03-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

Work it out with them and go on. Or, do what we did and give those involved free membership in the current club even though they wander around and fly for long periods.
This usually turns out to be a problem of the mind rather than reality.
Those that might have to change frequency will have to look at it like breaking a prop on a big bird, you just cuss and shell out the cash for another one.

We faced the same problem two years ago after moving from our 12 year old site. The new site was within 2 1/2 air miles of a dozen flyers that flew on a fellows private property.

We decided that rather than go thru the hassle of frequencies and not knowing if someone else would show up on a different frequency that we would give them free membership if they permanently closed down the other site. We had no worry about infrequent use of the other site as the site owner is an officer in another club and is our contest director.

This has worked out well for us and most of the ones that joined free have started paying dues just because they feel that the site has more to offer than just a place to take off and land.

Go to www.hawkfield .org to see what we did when we had to start over. The current field is a long way from the 75 X 650 asphalt runway we had but the propex makes a good surface and we have a nice little country airport.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:07 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

In my opinion, ya'll should offer them free membership for life. They were there first. They should have the right to the place. Ya'll should ask them to come to a special meeting to discus what to do about it. Have the best manored members of your club there to represent your club and work out a deal. Have all members of their club sign this. Have all who need to sign from your club sign. If anyone else were to come up later, thems the beans, you're now in position to say that your club was there first and the AMA should back you on this.

JMHO
50%
Old 03-01-2006, 01:07 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Matt implied, another situation that could be avoided by Spread Spectrum!!!! Can't wait
Old 03-01-2006, 01:15 PM
BlenderBender

OK....I wanted to get the feed back....beleive me this was not my post but as officer of the club I wanted to get a objective view from the outside looking in.... that note was emailed to me not word to word from one of the club members and I was looking for an objective way to present this to our club at this weekends meeting.

I would like to thank you all for giving me a outside prospective!
Old 03-01-2006, 01:20 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

I personally think it's in everyones best interest to either

1) work out a frequency agreement
2) as others have said, give them free membership to your club

By the sounds of it you guys have worked to hard on this new location and it really does sound nice to let this get in the way. We have long time members that fly gliders and once they are up, they are up so high that it really does not matter anyway and even if they "roam around" as long as they stay off the runway and remain in the pilot station area what is the harm.

It really does not sound like much has been done at this point ot try to settle this amongst yourselves. You might be surprised if everyone sat down for a breakfast/lunch/dinner somewhere and hash it out. You know how rumors can get around. I'm not saying that this is happening but with 150 members you know how things can change as it is passed on to one another.

We had to do that this past year and in the end it all came out well. We had been looking at a similiar situation with the county. We had the land all set for us on a 10 year lease though we did not have anything done to it yet (the county was even going to prep the land) and it was discovered that there were 50 people in a private club within 2 miles. Some had heard that we were gonna come in and shut them down so off they went to complain to the other members so they formed a club and got a charter and proceeded to put up a fight.

After some words in the monthly meetings at both clubs it was decided to sit down over dinner, show them the proposed layout and offer them free lifetime membership with the idea that any new members they get would pay the normal membership fee. They/we put it to a vote and the general membership for both places liked it. In the end we combined two clubs into one under a new name, the "private club" now has a much better field to fly at as we do, got totally free membership and everyone gained a ton of new friends.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:37 PM
SSRCCPREZ

WOW!! ia m impressed not one person suggested shootin the gliders down!!!...Hmmm...Must not be a D1 field...LOl j/k.
None the less, I think compromise is the first approach, and if all else fails hold the owner of the cow pasture responsible for all liabilities as the landowner granting use!!! In other words do unto others as other have done to you....
I have a similar situation in my hometown outside my regular club. We have individuals flying and causin problems for others. I kindly remarked to the landowner his LIABILITY god forbid if anything ever happened....haven't seen those flyers since.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:09 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

The glider guys have rights (granted by the FCC) to the frequencies as well. Of course it is in their best interests (the glider guys) to work something out as well.

The glider guys apparently do not need AMA sanction and you do, and the AMA cannot have you operating with a known source of interference that close. THe AMA has no recourse and no authority over the glider guys at all
Some misconceptions that need to be cleared up, and have been discussed ad nauseum in other topics.

First, no one has a "right" to any frequencies. Use of the frequencies is regulated by the FCC, and everyone operating within the regulations has permission to use them.

Secondly, no one needs AMA sanction. There is no law requiring AMA membership to fly any model. AMA has established a structure whereby membership confers certain privilidges, most notably providing supplemental insurance to protect the member from liability.

Third, AMA is not restricted to powered flight. There are gliders, free-flight, control line, etc.

Perhaps another arrangement would be for the club to establish a frequency sharing agreement with the glider flyers (give up the 8 frequencies), and then assist affected club members with costs necessary to change their frequencies (new reciever crystals and a trip to the factory for the transmitter). This is cheaper than granting 8-10 life memberships to people that won't be happy with the club, probably won't support the club, and won't be contributing to the general welfare of the club in the long run. If they decide to join the club later, great. Welcome them with open arms.

In the meantime, protect the investment of time and effort thats already been expended, and do whats necessary to get the site operating.

Best of luck with the new site.
Brad
Old 03-01-2006, 02:33 PM
Liberator

Unfortunately Spread Spectum would not help in this situation. The Poer guys probably fly to far out to make it practical, and I know the Glider guys fly far to far out to make it work. As I understand it, spread spectrum would be great in a slope situation where you are keeping the plane fairly close to you, but when your thermal hunting the plane is simply too high.

As in the last thread that related to this, I think it falls to first come first consideration given. I imagine that at some point during the trips out to the new site someone had to have seen the glider guys. If not, well, even though they have not developed anything, I think it is still right totry and work out an agreement with them. Sounds like they have set up a number of frequencys that they need and a very good possible solution has been reached. It's good that you guys are dealing with it now before more money has been pored into the proposed new site.

Good luck to you and the club and glider guys!

Tom
Old 03-01-2006, 02:58 PM
BlenderBender

I am thinking that the best option is giving the Freq's needed to glider guys and take care of the club members that will have to change freq's.

I imagine that at some point during the trips out to the new site someone had to have seen the glider guys. I
If this would have been the case it would have been addressed long before we had gotten this far!

It's good that you guys are dealing with it now before more money has been pored into the proposed new site.
LOL... well kinda... as you know it isn't cheap to clear and manicure 8 acres ... not to mention permitting and cost for the 35 X 350 asphalt runway.

Anyway thanks for the input guys
Old 03-01-2006, 03:04 PM
bdavison

I kindly remarked to the landowner his LIABILITY god forbid if anything ever happened....haven't seen those flyers since

Stabbing fellow model enthusiasts in the back is NOT the way to promote the hobby. This kind of "us against them" attitude is going to kill the AMA. As an AMA member its your DUTY to help the hobby grow, not hurt it. I cringe everytime I see stuff like this going on. For god's sake man...these are your fellow pilots out there. Its like shooting your brother.

I love this hobby, and the people in it. It hurts me when I see other pilots get hosed like that. It doesnt matter if they are 40% pilots, free-flight, control line, parkflyers, 3D'ers.....they are all pilots.

Give them the 8 ch's or freebie memberships for one year. Then support them, give them a helping hand and by all means treat them nicely while they are at your field. Welcome them in with open arms. You may find that you get some great glider pilots that are willing to stick around and pay membership dues if they get something out of it and have a good time.

There is a glider group here I didnt even know about. I recently went to one of their fly-ins and it was tons of fun...and I didnt even fly. Great group of guys. Glider/sailplanes arent my thing, but it was still cool.

Old 03-01-2006, 03:19 PM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Nope, the current spread spectrum wouldn't work but hopefully the radio manufactures are hard at work developing a new system that will work as good as the current system.

You could try to agree to an arrangement similar to what they do at the Joe Nall event. A certain # of frequencies are set aside for the other use, be it heli's, gliders etc. Offer them access to channel 51 and above and keep 51 below for the club. At Joe Nall I think they keep everything below channel 30 for float planes down at the other end. That way there's no conflict...
Old 03-01-2006, 05:21 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

ORIGINAL: BlenderBender

Ok...well here is the Story....

We learned last year we were going to be losing our field due to the sale and development of the land this club had flown on for 31 years. About the same time we heard one of the other clubs in the area was being pushed out also by the county ... it was being developed also. So I am guessing all in all there will be somewhere around 150 members in this club.
So after months of trying to find a alternative site we found a piece of county land that was purchased with funds that would not permit it to be resold for development and it was zoned for active recreation only.. we thought this was perfect! The down side was the land was back to its native state in other words very rough! After months of working with the county through all the usage agreement and with the AMA to have the club chartered with the additional insurance to cover the county... the public hearings .......the board of county commissioners .... we finally got this thing sign off on and we could start developing the site... which meant disking and leveling and planting seed and waiting!

So everything was going according to plan we were on the site which is a beautiful site it is like a green patch of land in the middle of the moon! lol 8 acre's to be exact.

Then last weekend so people came out and said " well I guess we just lost our flying site " we were kinda puzzled what they were talking about and he explained that they were down the road about a mile and that there were 4 guys all together flying gliders on Sundays the road in a cow pasture and they would have to find somewhere else to fly. We asked them to join and they didn't like that idea to much stating that when they fly they are kinda all over being gliders and they are in the air for long periods of time.... but they had other places they could fly. So we didn't think to much about it.

Then last weekend they called and said that they changed their minds and that they were going to continue to fly there and that we needed to work out some sort of freq arrangement ... now there were 10 guys instead of 4 and they wanted us to block off 8 channels for them to use. Well it didn't sit real well with us so we contacted AMA to see how this could be handled ... we were told that if we didn't give them what they wanted that we were in direct violation of AMAs rules and that we would lose our charter even though they were not a charted club and we had no way of knowing that they were even flying there.

This has struck a nerve with a lot of the members let me remind you that just lost 2 fields.... And they can't understand how the AMA would back 4 guys flying in a cow pasture that nobody even knew about versus 150 AMA member flying at a chartered club?

Are we wrong in the way we are looking at this??

Yes !
Old 03-01-2006, 06:29 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does the county, who you diligently worked out the use agreement with, know that these guys are flying on their property without permission and (probably) without insurance to protect the county's rights?
Just a thought!

Old 03-01-2006, 07:09 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: s3nfo

Does the county, who you diligently worked out the use agreement with, know that these guys are flying on their property without permission and (probably) without insurance to protect the county's rights?
Just a thought!

Jerry-

I don't recall anybody saying in this thread that the glider flyers were a) flying on county property, b) without permission of the property owner, or c) without insurance. Where are the lines one needs to read between to come up with that?

Abel
Old 03-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Liberator

Abel,

I am with you, it's like that other post about someone just making an offhand comment to a land owner with the sole purpose of getting fellow modelers kicked off. It is cowardly and chicken $*&@.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Hossfly

I am thinking that the best option is giving the Freq's needed to glider guys and take care of the club members that will have to change freq's.
Good choice. Get the field. Bash the elephants now and stomp ants later.

Gliders and power do not mix well, yet there are those fliers that do both. In the long run you might even become a single club with two sites and freqs. divided proportionally. Lots of good potential.

8 out of 50 freqs. is a small request. Remember 20 years ago we still had only 7 freqs plus the 27mhz to work with.

Best of luck.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:30 PM
ShaneUSMC

Maybe you could invite them over and talk about when they like to fly. If they prefer to fly on certain days at certain times, then let them have the field during those times and noone else. Say Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. is gliders only and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. is powered flight only. Doesn't have to be that particular or only one day, but I'm sure grown men can work something out.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:44 PM
KidEpoxy

A. You could just conceed the 8 channels and have glider guys as friends when you need them.
B. Mention the 150 guys in your club and CounterOffer 6 channels, but accept 8 if need be
C. Promote the death of flying by trying to ground everyone but AMA guys with Liability Hype.
D. Just shoot them down if need be, the ama field is more important than some hics gliding

What would a man of high moral character do?
What would lesser men do?
What would a jerk do?

It's simple, don't be a jerk... kinda like everything else in life
Old 03-01-2006, 11:43 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: BlenderBender

I imagine that at some point during the trips out to the new site someone had to have seen the glider guys.
If this would have been the case it would have been addressed long before we had gotten this far!

Don't sweat this, because the glider guys could have shown up at any point in the process, including 5 microseconds after you cut the ribbon on your new club.

Even Hossfly's vaunted club would be powerless if a couple of the unwashed ARF guys decide to fly next to his bazillion dollar personal monument. AMA would shut them down just as quick!
Old 03-02-2006, 06:55 AM
polstery

One thing that gets me is WHY do people always go at things like this backwards 8 channels was nothing to give up but you had to have it all right from the start, you should maybe be acting like that as a last resort if there was no compromising, but you should have tryied to be nicer in the start of this whole thing then maybe you could of had some REAL friends not someone you had to BUY. Glad it worked out, but I hope everyone learned something, treat OTHERS the way YOU would like to be treated!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.