Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA E Membership(Poll added)

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
I think that the AMA proposal is a good idea
29.41%
I think that this proposal is a bad idea and should not happen.
60.29%
I don't know what to think.
10.29%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

AMA E Membership(Poll added)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006, 03:48 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA E Membership

Nothing in the charter specifies, or excludes, any type of model.
AMA is reviewing it for completeness and to ensure it meets any legal requirements. When it approves the charter, it does so based on the above, not what type of models are flown at the field.
Again, AMA will not tell a club what types of models can be flown at the club's field, it's a local issue and they don't want to get involved running clubs.
Jon
Old 05-02-2006, 04:02 PM
afineman

F106A

You make some rather chilling points, and very well to I might add.

I run the gamut of electric planes, I LOVE how peaceful flying my Slow Stick ( true park flier), But on the other end of the spectrum, I have a 700 Watt 2 pound F18 ducted fan jet on the build table.

I can see a time I would bring both ( 1 will get the hands shaking, and the other will calm them down) with me to the field, so I may be to fast AND to slow for the same club at the same time.

This is REALLY good communications, I give everyone credit for participating.

Now as an Electric/Park flier what are we to do, we are complained about, we are being accused (by only a few) of ruining the hobby, everyone thinks we should be educated about the fields and the AMA before we pick up a tx, people are saying we will ruin their enjoyment of the hobby (fear of a shoot down), the AMA extends an olive branch to us (still needs a little work), and then to find no one wants us around them when they fly.

OOHH picture this IC guys and Electric guys (all in the AMA) wooing the same town asking for the same plot of land, doing battle in front of the town because each wants to exclude the other from their charter. with land in some areas at a premium, this is a battle that could happen.

THEN who gets it? and why?

Now there is some fuel for thought

Brent
Old 05-02-2006, 04:04 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Well, the AMA does have guidelines for a club's by-laws.

but.....
The AMA specifically states that it will not deny a charter for the quality of their bylaws.
Basically the guidelines that the AMA has says that you should include things in your by-laws such as

Resignation of officers or members
Termination of officers
Disciplinary action
Expulsion/reinstatement of membership
Dissolution
Grievance Procedures
Specific flight and ground safety rules pertaining to your individual club (like "no flying over the road on the left end of the field")
How much your dues are
Membership requirements
Purpose ***ding ding*** Most clubs just use the standard "to further the sport of model aviation" but some clubs specifically go into detail...like specifying a specific style of flying or type.
Elections of officers
Terms of officers
etc etc etc.

Its up to the club's discretion as to what they want to include or prohibit in their club. The AMA's standpoint is that if this is ok. If you dont like a clubs rules...start your own club. Simple, and easy. Good for you too, because you dont have to deal with club rules or membership you dont agree with, you can make your own.

Old 05-02-2006, 04:11 PM
bdavison

Afineman,

The AMA has rules in place to prevent conflicts between clubs. In the event that one does occur as you mentioned. Its a first come first gets it kinda deal. The AMA normally decides in favor of the existing club that was their first.....

but not always....

Old 05-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brent,

Move to central Florida. Start a Club. I will join it. (errrr...if you will let I/C fly )

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 05-02-2006, 04:22 PM
Loubud

Hmm. First come, first served and the presumption is the AMA will win. I find that amusing. One person or a group can provide insurance that protects the city involved, not just the AMA. A little research could prove insurance rates better than the AMA. It would certainly explain how a non AMA club exists. And anyone can get their own insurance. A simple rider from their insurance company or a different company altogether. A group of say, 50 fliers can self insure for a good price. And no need for the AMA overview. And as another thought, rules can be made that are fair to all and not by a group that thinks you don't know how.
Lou
Old 05-02-2006, 04:23 PM
afineman

Bill

I'm not ready for Gods waiting room just yet, I still enjoy the New England weather.

I'll take a blizzard any day over a hurricane, besides a good snow base make a good cushion when maiden a plane, EXCEPY a ducted fan plane [sm=eek.gif].

Brent
Old 05-02-2006, 04:24 PM
hobbynutt

Once apon atime, back in the 1970"s I went to my local HS to fly my 40 trainer. The 20 miles to the field was a pain. I was all alone, not even a stray golfer. I started to take off from the parking lot, tail was up all was good. Out of the bushes up the bank, comes this kid on a 10 speed. He goes right in front of my plane and it tries to eat out the rear wheel!
All I can say is, "GOOD LUCK PARK FLIERS."
Old 05-02-2006, 04:28 PM
bdavison

Stickbuilder

There already is an Electric only club in Florida...

http://www.sarasotasilentflyers.com

NO GLOW ALLOWED, and yes they are a AMA chartered club. This is what I meant about how you set up your by-laws. They specifically prohibit glow in their rules.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:51 PM
bdavison

I know I am starting to sound like a broken record, but here is my proposal:

1) Get rid of the whole e-card concept. No club flying privelidges, 200 ceiling, etc. just wont fly (pun intended)

2) Offer a dues reduction for the first year to any new member...a significant one. Get the clubs to do the same.

3) Really impress on the clubs thay they need to welcome the e-fliers, help them, and make this a positive experience for all of us.
Terry,

It looks like the e-ticket did get killed.
The AMA already offers a "reduced" trial membership for new members, and its DIRT CHEAP. Only $19.95 and you get full benefits for 3 months...and the money you payed is transferrable to a full membership if you decide to continue. Check it out here. https://www.modelaircraft.org/trialmemberapp.aspx
As far as your last request...we are trying HARD. Its a difficult task getting the old timers on board, but things are improving.

Wish ya the best.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:55 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: afineman

Bill

I'm not ready for Gods waiting room just yet,

Brent
I'm not ready yet either. As to taking a blizzard over a Hurricaine, I wouldn't know. I guess a Blizzard could cause a New Hampshire redneck to lose his mobile home as well.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:08 PM
bdavison

Loubud, what rules exactly in the AMA safety code do you consider "unfair". I would consider them pretty fair, and as we've seen in the past, the AMA membership has voted and amended the safety rules if one of them became "unfair".
Old 05-02-2006, 05:33 PM
TerryE
My Feedback: (12)

BD;

I can honestly say I am glad the e-ticket was cancelled.

I had a "blinding flash of the obvious" on the way home today. I have a 1.5 hr commute (one way)[:'(] and Ias I was mulling all this over I suddenly realised:

The AMA can't control or influence the local clubs, and whet they "allow:...

... therefore...

The e-ticket membership HAD to have no field privledges ! [X(] The AMA couldn't dictate to any club that they had to allow anything [X(]

NOW it all makes sense....

Still, kinda sad when you really think about it.

TE
Old 05-02-2006, 06:16 PM
bdavison

BINGO!!!!!

Exactly. It was the confusing wording that I think really put off alot of potential voters. The AMA really needs a press secretary to go over these things before they release it. Ive seen quite a few "e-mails" that have gone out lately, that would really confuse people unless they had a through background understanding of how everything works.

For the most part I think the average club would accept the e-ticket, but perhaps we will never know. It is possible that the AMA will try again, hopefully with some re-vamped e-ticket proposal...but who knows. Ill talk to Tony tonight to see how things are going with the proposal and to see if its been rejected.

Darn shame in my opinion. I still think this could have been a huge opportunity if presented correctly.

They went out of their way to let everyone know that it would give the parkflyers the opportunity to form their own clubs and fields, but few managed to grasp the concept of what a really good idea that was, and how it would benefit the parkflyers to have the opportunity to form their own AMA chartered clubs.

When I first saw it, I envisioned a mass exodus of parkflyers into the AMA all starting their own e-clubs in cities everywhere, gaining AMA support and help in aquiring new fields. All this leading to improved facilities for parkflyers to fly at, and really getting things organized. Eventually with time having AMA sanctioned events and competition for electric flyers, with the electric flyers at the heart and soul of the planning. You could even eventually have a chartered chapter in your region with clubs for glow, electric, FF, etc. So no pilot would be left out.

Wouldnt it be great if they had a indoor or electric freestyle competition at the NATS. Id be packing my planes up to go.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Loubud

BD,
I'm sure there are AMA rules that people find unfair. Plus, now on the outside, it doesn't matter what I think of the rules anyway.
Park Flyers appear foreign to the AMA. I know that you are trying your best to change attitudes at the AMA but it's going to be a long haul. But it ain't over till it's over and I think that there are enough people like you inside the AMA to give the P/F's another shot.
I fly over a farm just behind my house. Many hundreds of acres. The land owner and I have rules too. The Condor Club's field is small compared to what I fly over. Geez, I need an acre just to crash land.
Since the Condors are 25 miles away, I fly here.
But I still wish you luck and await Glacier's report on what he finds.
Lou
EX-AMA
Old 05-03-2006, 09:45 AM
TerryE

I just gotta link to this... [X(]

I wonder what the reaction to this would be at most AMA clubs....especially my local one !

B-25, 101" wingspan, 35 pounds AUW.... and electric [X(]

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...64&postcount=6

No, I don't know him, but I would like to.

If I only had the money....
Old 05-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Glacier Girl
My Feedback: (4)

Well here's a copy of the email I sent to all the listed clubs in PA.

I'm writing to you to get some additional info on your club.
I've been contacting clubs in the area to check the waters, so to speak at becoming a club member.
Question I have is that I fly electric powered birds, ranging from small park flyers to version that are over 5 feet in length, also flight speed on some of them are well in excess of 100mph, are there any limitations, on your memberships, concerning these types of planes? Other then the obvious safety, preflight inspections, and flight check outs?
I appreciate your taking the time in looking at this.
Thanks,
Brad

We'll see what the response is, and I'll post all the replies, good or bad.

I'm beginning to realize the prejudices out there are going to be a tought nut to crack, re private clubs make the rules, the AMA only approves them, and has no real power at enforcing discrimination policies. Kinda like the old "It's my ball and I'll take it home if you don't want to play by my rules" thing.
So maybe we come up with our own ball so to speak, maybe it's time to unite the E crowd, and make the AMA ours. Heck if we have the ball and the field, it's going to make it a little hard for others to play our game unless they want to play by our rules.
Then the narrow minded ones who've given the grief to the new guys will see what its like to be on the other side.

And Lou, yeah I tend to play the pauper role, I show up in the beat up shop van, figuring the guys at the field may take pity on me. Plus I can't fit that many birds in the Cobra's trunk, 42 gallon fuel tank takes up a lot of room, and the Lotus, has a smaller trunk yet.
I'm not like Ray, showing up in his Bentley.

stickbuilder and bdavison, you're both ok in my book, even though I'm a Yankee, and you're both Crackers. See I didn't even mention the gas thingy.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Stickbuilder

I ain't no dam cracker. I jest moved down heah frum Tinnissee. I'm a Redneck hillbilly. Transplanted, but I still bleed BIG ORANGE!!! "Rocky top you'll always be home sweet home to me....Good old rocky top....Rocky Top Tennessee!!!!!!! YeeHaw....Go Big Orange.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 05-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Glacier Girl

Dang you're a "Ridge Runner" like me?

Hey I have an idea[sm=idea.gif]

Bdavison, has the poll going on over here about what should the AMA consider to offer as an E card.
Anyhow I told him to find that out he needs to go to the horse's mouth for that answer.

Pop over there and I'll present my idea.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Loubud

Hold on there Glacier,
Lets not gloss over this Lotus thing.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:19 PM
nyflyer56

Guys, I think someone hit this on the head. the $19.95 trial membership is the ticket. It allows the park crowd full access, and if they want, stay and form an AMA E-club with equal rights as all others. my only thought would be to make that trial membership for 6 mos or a year.

Phil
Old 05-03-2006, 06:50 PM
TerryE

NY;

Yeah, I totally agree. 3 months is useless as a lot of the fliers wont go out that much.

A one year membership would really be the ticket.

TE
Old 05-03-2006, 07:05 PM
nyflyer56

Terry,
I thought this out further and posted a more detailed Idea, on the 'Poll" thread, check it out
Phil
Old 05-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Glacier Girl

Lou,
The Lotus was a really stupid move on my part. More Oooohhh,Ahhh then anything.
It was the biggest POS I've ever owned. Nothing more then a God forsaken go kart.
Lotus is nothing more then a bunch of various mfgs. parts cobbled together into a quazy race car. You think electrics are expensive, try this on, shifter knob broke, new $1800.00 just for the part, I managed to find a used one in N Dakota,( I still haven't figured out what one was doing out there), for $800.00, final bill to install and set it up was over $3000.00, for a stick of metal.
And don't get me started on Lucas wiring in these beasts.
LOL
Old 05-04-2006, 06:37 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Okay folks, I was interested in Bdavison's poll, but he didn't give an option for NO, so I thought I would give those who want to vote no an option for that. These results won't be going to the AMA on my part. He has a great poll, but there aren't any options for me.

Enjoy,
50%

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.