Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is AMA a monopoly

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
60.71%
no
39.29%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Is AMA a monopoly

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 09:56 AM
KidEpoxy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is AMA a monopoly

nope, not buying it.

Either list the events in MA free as non- ala carte product, as a core mission
Or they can sell NatsEntry as charging ala carte for product, like charging for MA event listing

You cant play both sides of the Core Mission Card: Nats are free but pay for listing in MA (which you spout as the tax req mailing to ALL members), not require internet so only internetters get the core mission Model Aviation Event listings
Old 08-24-2006, 10:54 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

For some reason the AMA members always has to jump...

Ok... AMA isn't a monopoly, Peterpan is my bull dyke daughter, and I am Santa Clause. I can choose my reality like you have also.

AMA can continue on with their extremely successfull smart business plan and continue the “my way†or the hi-way exclusionary tactics till pigs fly. Flying foam isn't so bad after all...flying foam isn't so bad after all...flying foam isn't so bad at all...

See you later Peter,

Santa
Old 08-24-2006, 11:08 AM
SoCal GliderGuider

De facto Monopoly. Actually it's worse than that. It tends to give it's members false security as illustrated in their projection of fantasies. Although many have figured out it's entrapment as membership is down over 100,000 from about 15 years ago.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:15 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Here we go again. Name one part of the AMA's de facto which has eliminated competition? The magazine? The secondary insurance? Use of flying sites?

Last time I checked AMA's magazine didn't make it to a Barne's and Noble, but I have seen others. Funny that a monopoly can't even beat out their competition when it comes to their #1 media channel, that's one heck of a monopoly!

My homeonwers covers me first before their insurance kicks in. A "secondary" insurance provider that's a monopoly? What about the primary insurer, they don't count?

I can walk to a dozen places to fly my airplanes where I live. Some parks, some open spaces. I have to drive many miles to find an AMA field. Oh, I forgot, that other myth that all parks don't allow RC flying and where all the rest are dominated by the evil AMA.

As far as the declining membership, talk to the EC, that's their job, to promote or hit the street. What happened in the last 15 years, everything grew in age, while everything around the AMA adapted to the times. EC did not recognize it and lost out. Can't blame Muncie, they've tried their best while some of the elected officials brought them down.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:45 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Ok... AMA isn't a monopoly, Peterpan is my bull dyke daughter, and I am Santa Clause. I can choose my reality like you have also.

AMA can continue on with their extremely successfull smart business plan and continue the “my way†or the hi-way exclusionary tactics till pigs fly. Flying foam isn't so bad after all...flying foam isn't so bad after all...flying foam isn't so bad at all...

See you later Peter,

Santa
Santa,

AMA only has "my way or the highway exlusionary tactics" as it pertains to the use of AMA chartered fields and the limit of insurance coverage extended to them. AMA is private club just like any other. They are no different than your local country club that only allow members and their guest to play on the golf course--with the required appropriate attire.

Of course, you probably consider them a monopoly since they won't let any old joe in cutt-off blue jeans play golf on the club course. After all, I have a set of clubs, they have to let me play or its a monopoly!!!!

Go fly at the local park, local school yard, buy some property and fly alone or with your buds until the guys in white coats show up for you. But don't keep thinking the AMA is a monopoly.

Geez, what am doing? This guy thinks he's Santa for cryin' out loud!!!

P.S. My condolences on your daughters condition.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:20 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: P-51B

AMA is private club just like any other.
Wrong! I think you are bright enough to figure out why that is not so, if you try. HINT; the first A

Of course, you probably consider them a monopoly since they won't let any old joe in cutt-off blue jeans play golf on the club course.
Yea, your right we do need to keep that type out.

Yet another silly comparison of AMA to country clubs and some other crapola. Good going on the original thought.

The difference that you and others conveniently overlook is the fact that those that we keep outside our fence can still hit our golf balls.

P51 Keep your head in the sand and repeat...I see no problem...I see no problem.

Myself, I’ll just buy stock in Dow.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:33 PM
STLPilot

What? This is number #1 inconsistency in this forum that AMA is not a private club and they are dead wrong.

I'd love to be a member of every organization out there, all of them, but there is only one way and that's to write a check and even then you have to be approved for membership.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:47 PM
littlecrankshaf

What? The AMA is certainly a private club. It's role is to support it's members.

This club analogy is getting old. AMA is not a club. The AMA charters clubs. You can not just twist things to suit your belief system.

Go fly somewhere else please…you are bugging me.
Old 08-24-2006, 12:54 PM
STLPilot

AMA is the world's largest sport aviation organization, representing a membership of more than 170,000 from every walk of life, income level and age group. Where does it say that it represents the millions of other fliers around the world? Not a club huh?

Maybe it's not a club, if you don't belong to the club???
Old 08-24-2006, 01:08 PM
littlecrankshaf

AMA is the world's largest sport aviation organization, representing a membership of more than 170,000 from every walk of life, income level and age group. Where does it say that it represents the millions of other fliers around the world? Not a club huh?

Maybe it's not a club, if you don't belong to the club???

No! Where does it say club? It says world's largest sport aviation organization… That it is…maybe...but not a club! I think the author should have qualified it (AMA) as the worlds largest model aviation organization instead...but what the hey...

Actually, it has been argued by many and I think even you, that it represents the hobby in general in the US.

Even if you can find some rendition of some view that apparently supports your current view doesn't make your point any more valid. There are plenty of errant view points.

But in this forum, as of right now the vote shows AMA as a monopoly. Argue that!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:10 PM
P-51B

AMA is private club just like any other.
Wrong! I think you are bright enough to figure out why that is not so, if you try. HINT; the first A
The first A in what?

If you mean Academy...so what? Every club has a name.

Of course, you probably consider them a monopoly since they won't let any old joe in cutt-off blue jeans play golf on the club course.
Yea, your right we do need to keep that type out.

Yet another silly comparison of AMA to country clubs and some other crapola. Good going on the original thought.

The difference that you and others conveniently overlook is the fact that those that we keep outside our fence can still hit our golf balls.

Oh, I get it!!! Because they CAN play their game somewhere else the AMA IS a monopoly!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19601.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	512541  
Old 08-24-2006, 01:14 PM
P-51B

No! Where does it say club? It says world's largest sport aviation organization… That it is…but not a club!

This is the the closest you have come to being logical, but using that line of logic, the AMA doesn't charter clubs, they charter other organizations (ie clubs that are tax exempt non-profit organizations)

But in this forum, as of right now the vote shows AMA as a monopoly. Argue that!
Gee, because the poll says so, it must be accurate.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:18 PM
STLPilot

Actually, it has been argued by many and I think even you, that it represents the hobby in general in the US.
You're right, that happens through a natural process, not through what they focus on. What your trying to argue is that the AMA should allow non members to be part of it's CLUB? What you don't understand is that the AMA fuels itself from membership, no membership, no money. Want to apply for marketing director at AMA, take a shot at it.

I already did argue that. We are talking about the same group of soldiers who are voting that Santa Claus exists too. There is your arguement. There is a difference between feeling and fact. Feeling, AMA is a monopoly. Fact, AMA is not a monopoly. Feeling, there is Santa Claus. Fact, don't want to ruin the surprise for the kids.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:26 PM
wildchild45177
My Feedback: (11)

No.

A monopoly has sole control and infulence over a given business domain.

1. The AMA is a club that one chooses to join to support model aviation.
2. If you want to fly RC you can do it without being a member of the AMA.
3. For those that look at AMA as a source of insurance, it is only secondary insurance anyway, and you can get coverage on your own (you may pay more, but you can get it)

Those are just the three that popped into my head immediatly, I'm sure more will follow since there is a lot of empty space to fill there.
Just try to go join a field without AMA and see if you fly there.
Bob
Old 08-24-2006, 01:32 PM
littlecrankshaf

yeppers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49309.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	512557  
Old 08-24-2006, 01:42 PM
littlecrankshaf

STL

You just keep talking in circles. You manage to contradict yourself more than I contradict you.

One minute this is that and the next this is this and that is that and later that is this. I guess if you continue to shuffle the shells there is no way to find the pea in your game. Heck, a good magician will allow a choice eventually. You suck at this trick!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:45 PM
littlecrankshaf

I think the count is accurate...Are you implying RCU is cheating somehow? Whoosh....
Old 08-24-2006, 01:45 PM
P-51B

ORIGINAL: wildchild45177

No.

A monopoly has sole control and infulence over a given business domain.

1. The AMA is a club that one chooses to join to support model aviation.
2. If you want to fly RC you can do it without being a member of the AMA.
3. For those that look at AMA as a source of insurance, it is only secondary insurance anyway, and you can get coverage on your own (you may pay more, but you can get it)

Those are just the three that popped into my head immediatly, I'm sure more will follow since there is a lot of empty space to fill there.
Just try to go join a field without AMA and see if you fly there.
Bob
To make sure I am clear, which of the two options below are you speaking about?

1. Try to join an AMA chartered club that flies at an AMA field.

2. Try to join a club that is not AMA affiliated and fly there.

3. Try to buy some private property and fly there.

4. Try to fly a parkflyer at the local park.

Based on your wording, I am guessing you are reffering to option #1. But that leads to the question; Why would a private club allow any old joe in cut-off blue jeans to use there facilities?

Old 08-24-2006, 01:54 PM
P-51B

I think the count is accurate...Are you implying RCU is cheating somehow? Whoosh....

Talk about WHOOSH, I'd say this one speaks for itself.

RCU cheating? I have no clue where that comes from. The count (tally of the votes) of the poll is likely accurate. But as STL pointed out, belief doesn't = fact.

Lets try a little first grade lesson:

Accurate: The current poll indicates that those voting think the AMA should be called a monopoly

Inaccurate: The AMA IS a monopoly.

Just because the poll says its a monopoly doesn't mean it is.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:55 PM
littlecrankshaf

P51

You know very well AMA only owns 1 (one) field. Your questions don't make sense in response to wildchild45177's post.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:03 PM
P-51B

P51

You know very well AMA only owns 1 (one) field. Your questions don't make sense in response to wildchild45177's post.

Thats true, AMA only OWNS one field, but the rest of the options certainly apply. Actually for purposes of his question the AMA field and AMA chartered fields can be treated the same.

Old 08-24-2006, 02:08 PM
littlecrankshaf

Just because the poll says its a monopoly doesn't mean it is.

Defining aspects of particular terms are done all the time, for our purposes here, the AMA most certainly a monopoly. Defining language parameters is done all the time. Nothing new!

AMA is considered a monopoly as of this moment in this forum and the usage is correct.

Regardless of what you say we (the majority) will roll with that concept in this forum.

Whoosh….

It is subject to change... just as Pluto is no longer a planet...to some...Get over it!
Old 08-24-2006, 02:09 PM
littlecrankshaf

Thats true, AMA only OWNS one field, but the rest of the options certainly apply. Actually for purposes of his question the AMA field and AMA chartered fields can be treated the same.

So, now you are doing the STL shuffle! Wooosh...............
Old 08-24-2006, 02:16 PM
littlecrankshaf

Lets try a little first grade lesson:

Ok, I'll wait for you to complete the first grade...you will benefit greatly.

BTW I will get your lesson plan together. Don't forget your lunch beave.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:17 PM
P-51B

So, now you are doing the STL shuffle! Wooosh...............

No. I simply agreed that AMA only owns one field. I stand by my statement. No shuffle. No change. No trying to skate around the definition of Monopoly by using woosh without any hint of a logical argument...

Lets state it again; Just because the poll says its a monopoly doesn't mean it is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.