Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Civil Discourse

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Civil Discourse

Old 02-13-2007, 10:39 PM
TopThumbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Civil Discourse

Civil Discourse (this is a paste - I don't know the who the author is. I read this on another site I frequent and immediatly thought of this forum):

1)Recognize a person's right to advocate ideas that are different from your own.

2)Show respect for others.
a)Discuss ideas, not people
b)Use helpful, not hurtful language

3)Agree to listen.
a)Respectfully hear and listen to differing points of view
b)When unsure, clarify what you heard
c)Realize that what you say and what people understand you to have said may be different
e)Recognize that people can agree to disagree

4)Speak for yourself, not others.
a)Speak from your own experience

"Democracy is a means of living together despite our differences. Democratic deliberation is an alternative to physical violence. It is predicated on the assumption that it's possible to disagree agreeably, that it's better to laugh than cry, that one can vigorously contest the positions of one's adversary without questioning his or her personal integrity or motivation, and that parties to a debate are entitled to the presumption that their views are legitimate if not correct."

-Thomas Mann

Bill

ps, would a sticky be out of the question?
Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 PM
JUGFLIER

Default RE: Civil Discourse

Great post
Old 02-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Silent-AV8R

Screw you!! I'm right, you're an ignorant fool. And your Mother dresses you funny too!!! [&:]
Old 02-14-2007, 12:28 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Phaedrus-MMVI

Screw you!! I'm right, you're an ignorant fool. And your Mother dresses you funny too!!! [&:]
Hey! Wait a minute there. I haven’t even posted in this thread until now.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:54 AM
Silent-AV8R

I'm still right. Who needs to hear the other side??[:'(]
Old 02-14-2007, 03:15 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

amen brother, MMVI

and just so ya can be jelous.
i will be flying in corpus christi this weekend with ron lund and tb, jk, cy, and a whole buncha other great folks.
<BAG>
Old 02-14-2007, 09:01 AM
TopThumbs

ORIGINAL: Phaedrus-MMVI

[X(] Now I gotta clean the coffee spray off'n my screen

Old 02-14-2007, 09:22 AM
JUGFLIER

I think everybody just has "cabin fever". Man those guys in the northeast are just gettin pounded by snow. And it's cold here in dixie. I think once springtime comes and we start crackin up planes we wont have time to see who is arguing with who. And we probably won't care. I'll be spending my nites trying to get em back to gether for the weekend.

As for me i know i have been involved in a little verbal joust, but i have made my point and moved on. ( I really want you guys to think i'm a swell guy). I learned from my wife that i rarely can have my way. HEHE. By the way when my wife and i argue, i always get in the last word........Yes dear. But seriously, we rarely agree on everything. But i try to meet her halfway at least, I think sometimes in the flying clubs that is where the macho comes out of some. The ability to rule over, be top dog, however you want to say it. Frankly, if we ran our homes the way we try to run our clubs we would have a full fledged revolt. Plus maybe a few frying pan knots on our heads.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:22 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with JugFlier. I know I am certainly looking forward to Spring and getting to fly more frequently.
This thread reminds me of something I read the other day, entitled "All I really Need to Know I learned in Kindergarden" and when you think about it, it makes alot of sense. Some of the things we tend to neglect in our personal interactions are things that we should have learned, or did learn and have chosen not to exercise, as children.

1. Share everything
2. Play fair
3. Don't hit people
4. Put things back where you found them
5. Clean up our mess
6. Don't take things that aren't yours
7. Say you are sorry when you hurt someone
8. Wash your hands before you eat
9. Flush
10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you
11. Live a balanced life - learn some, think some, draw and point, sing, dance, play and work some every day
12. Take a nap every afternoon
13. When you go out in the world, hold hands, watch for traffic and stick together
14. Wonder
15 Goldfish, hamsters and the little seeds in the styrofoam cups, they all die. So do people. Life is short

Perhaps the best sum to all of this is something I heard a wise man tell me once that certainly rings true.
..."If you always do What you always did, You'll always get, What you always got"...

If we are not getting our way, and things are going bad around us, the first thing we need to do is to see if everyone involved is follwing those rules we learned in kindergarden. After that we might need to look and see if there are changes we need to make in our own life to make things better.

Just my 0.02, and not worth more than that.
Tommy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58152.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	621504  
Old 02-14-2007, 11:41 AM
rcuman

ORIGINAL: JUGFLIER

I think everybody just has "cabin fever". Man those guys in the northeast are just gettin pounded by snow. And it's cold here in dixie. I think once springtime comes and we start crackin up planes we wont have time to see who is arguing with who. And we probably won't care. I'll be spending my nites trying to get em back to gether for the weekend.

I still am trying to get some planes back together from the past year. I hope I do not crash any this year.
Yeah right.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:48 AM
JUGFLIER

ORIGINAL: ldelbert

I still am trying to get some planes back together from the past year. I hope I do not crash any this year.
Yeah right.

If yoyu try to fly 3=d, they will stay tore up.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:07 PM
John Casey
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Great post,

its nice to get to post both sides of a story.

I hope you guys had fun with my threads...
Old 02-14-2007, 01:50 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Boy, all these threads about the other threads that got yanked are starting to make me wish I had logged on the computer instead playing with toy airplanes over the weekend....well not really but it sounded good.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:26 PM
rcuman

ORIGINAL: ldelbert

Yeah right.

If yoyu try to fly 3=d, they will stay tore up.

Funny thing is that my 3D plane is the only one that is not torn up.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:39 PM
SPLIT S

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for me i know i have been involved in a little verbal joust, but i have made my point and moved on. ( I really want you guys to think i'm a swell guy). I learned from my wife that i rarely can have my way. HEHE. By the way when my wife and i argue, i always get in the last word........Yes dear. But seriously, we rarely agree on everything. But i try to meet her halfway at least, I think sometimes in the flying clubs that is where the macho comes out of some. The ability to rule over, be top dog, however you want to say it. Frankly, if we ran our homes the way we try to run our clubs we would have a full fledged revolt. Plus maybe a few frying pan knots on our heads.
I have about 8" of snow/sleet/ice in my yard here in PA so if anyone wants to head North and help shovel, come on up. You can help finish my Extra after we're through.

Dan
Old 02-14-2007, 07:11 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

They are having a major electric meet scheduled for this weekend in Ocala FL, one of the premier flying sites in the country. But it looks like we will only see a high of 60 with below freezing early in the morning. I'm going to try and brave the weather just to support the club.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:28 PM
johns crazy
Banned

ORIGINAL: John Casey

Great post,

its nice to get to post both sides of a story.

I hope you guys had fun with my threads...
Nope, I was offended by the attacks against SAM's and it's membership. It's really too bad that I had to create a RCU profile just to present the other side of the story.
Johns Crazy
Old 02-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Liberator

Ya like apples?

Hmm well I am offended that you can't seem to justify your position. Also that you hide behind some screen name.

How do you like them apples?

Tom Bean
Old 02-15-2007, 09:08 PM
johns crazy
Banned

I actually like apples, but I don't believe that is what you meant.

My position is that John Casey is either jealous of the Sacramento Area Modelers and wishes he could be part of the club, or is that he just wants to attack the Sacramento Area Modelers via these forums in an effort to tarnish their good name as a club with over 20 years under their belt.

My real name is of no importance, I'm just the otherside of the arguement. Speaking for many who are members of the Sacramento Area Modelers. And based upon some of the actions taken by those terminated from the club I would prefer to remain anonymous at this time.

I don't know if that is good enough for you, I would hope it is.

the anonymous Johns Crazy
Old 02-15-2007, 09:40 PM
JUGFLIER

"My real name is of no importance, I'm just the otherside of the arguement. Speaking for many who are members of the Sacramento Area Modelers. And based upon some of the actions taken by those terminated from the club I would prefer to remain anonymous at this time. " Quote Johns crazy.

Well since the majority doesn't have a voice in your club, I guess you might speak for many. But since the Majority don't get to speak..... GO AWAY.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:58 PM
johns crazy
Banned

Jugflier,
I was very civil to you in the other thread, but as stated in the previous thread. I'm done responding to your posts. Johns Crazy will cease to post except in response to John Casey posts attacking SAM's. Before I go I would like to wish you well and ask, that you reserve judgement for only those cases that you have first hand experience. So there you have it, I'm going away now.
Johns Crazy
Old 02-15-2007, 11:06 PM
JUGFLIER

Mr crazy, please dont go away thinking i hate you, i don't. I do feel since John is the offendee he has a right to tell his story. I do believe the threshold for club dismissal rises above unsportsman like conduct. It is apparent from yours and his posts that his dismissal was more of a getting rid of the leader of the opposition than a real justifiable reason. Hope your club does prosper, i also hope that down the road you guys can admit to your own resposibility in this. And most all i hope your board has learned a hard and valuable lesson.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:03 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: johns crazy

Nope, I was offended by the attacks against SAM's and it's membership. It's really too bad that I had to create a RCU profile just to present the other side of the story.
Johns Crazy
Mr Crazy,

I do not recall Mr. Casey attacking the SAM club or it's membership but only illuminated a few particular above reproach persons in his apparent estimation. I may have missed it but more often than not I believe he actually cited majority of club members as being sympathetic to his cause.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:37 AM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll probably get jumped on for saying this, but just because John Casey states that the majority of club members were sympathetic to his cause does not make it true. In my opinion most of the club members were fed up with his antics. But what would I know, I only belong to the club that was disrupted. In fact I would almost guess that now I'll be called a gang member, nazi, or something else while being accused of embezzlement.

Jimmy Skids
Old 02-16-2007, 10:28 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Liberator

Hmm well I am offended that ... Also that you hide behind some screen name.

How do you like them apples?

Tom Bean

Sounds like road apples to me.

Signed,

Just another screen name.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.