Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is modeling becoming too diverse?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Is modeling becoming too diverse?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:19 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is modeling becoming too diverse?

LCS: Yep. Pretty predictable response.

Actually Mr. Stickbuilder, I spent a total of 10 minutes "researching" that while I ate lunch. It's not difficult or time comsuming to find and paste examples of your false sense of superiority. You ask " What does that garbage have to do with diversity"? Quite a bit actually. People of your ilk do not promote diversity, you stifle it.

You say I have a problem with builders. What is a builder? I have built kits in the past. Does that make me a builder or am I disqualified in your eyes because I own and fly ARFs also. Does the possession and enjoyment of ARFs make me impure and unworthy? I feel so .... dirty now.

30 minutes after I posted I was at the field alternately flying my Sukhoi, training a newbie and visiting with my flying buddies until well after dark. Great day thank you. Hmmm. Think I'll do it again today. Or maybe I should stay in my shop and burn all my ARFs with "rotton glue joints and unacceptable hardware" since I " have no interest in how to trim or balance the model to make it into a good flyer."

Yeesh.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you should take your own advice, and just enjoy whatever it is that you do. That would be my suggestion to you, rather than you attempting to make what I have to say sound like something else. Which statement did I make, that you can show as not being the truth? Me, I'm going to go fly some of mine this afternoon. Hope you enjoy yours as well. Fly safe, and bring them all home (in one piece).

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 09-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

I do enjoy what I do and I like to see and encourage other people to enjoy what they do.

I'll decline your invitation to point out any fallacies in your statements as the debate has been hashed and rehashed to death in other threads.The accuracy of your statements were not brought into question in the first place but merely the condescending attitude in which they are presented. Hell, I actually agree with some of them.

Flying again today. I may even drag out the old kit built Super Sportster 60. Hope you enjoy yourself also. That's is what it is all about.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Mike in DC

ORIGINAL: Robotech

If building ( substitute FF, CL, Eflight etc. ) is not interesting to a person no amount of ribbing, poking, jeering or lecturing is going to persuade them to spend any of their free time doing it.
You're wasting your breath lecturing to stickbuilder. If a person enjoys posting condescending comments, I'm afraid no amount of pointing this out to them is going to stop them from continuing to post condescending comments. You did your best. As Kris Kristofferson wrote, "Everybody needs somebody that they can look down on. If you can't find nobody else, well he'p yourself to me."
Old 09-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mike in DC

ORIGINAL: Robotech

If building ( substitute FF, CL, Eflight etc. ) is not interesting to a person no amount of ribbing, poking, jeering or lecturing is going to persuade them to spend any of their free time doing it.
You're wasting your breath lecturing to stickbuilder. If a person enjoys posting condescending comments, I'm afraid no amount of pointing this out to them is going to stop them from continuing to post condescending comments. You did your best. As Kris Kristofferson wrote, "Everybody needs somebody that they can look down on. If you can't find nobody else, well he'p yourself to me."
Mike,

Nope, wrong, I don't look down on anyone. I just made some observations. If it looks like I think I'm better than you, sorry bout that. I don't, I just would like for everyone to know both aspects of the hobby, and so many are missing out.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 09-23-2007, 03:56 PM
KidEpoxy

Both?
Now the entire areomodeling hobby is just 2 things?

Fisrt plane I flew was my scratchbuilt twin .15
Well, first plane I groundlooped about 60 times prior to that first & last 3min flight.
Cause I certainly wasnt gong to pay good money for a kit or for someone elses plans.

Nothing wrong with folks that build,
thats what we call the guys that SPAD, right? Model Plane Builders.
They save a bundle & that is OK by me.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:16 PM
abel_pranger

Yo! Pizza Delivery Guy-

Do you get to collect/keep the boxes from past deliveries? Those and pol campaign posters snagged the day after elections can keep an resourceful MPB well stocked with needed materials. And let's not overlook roadkill for making your own glue.
Don't play if you can't pay? Bah!

Abel
Old 09-23-2007, 04:23 PM
JUGFLIER

I went to the AMA District 5 jamboree in Harvest Al. yesterday. Let me say that the NARCA club put on a first class event. The thing that was remarkable is how all the different kind of flying styles were represented there and flew side by side and got along great.

There was a control line demonstration with the opportunity for people to try their hands at it. A very good demo on un-powered flight; from hi-start launch to thermal soaring to landing with spoilers. A 40% 3-d flight demo with some very good pilots, Joey Hamilton and Chase Wolk. There were large and small warbirds, cubs and profile 3-d planes and and all kinds of sport flying planes.

I got to see alot of people that i have flown with all around the south and really enjoyed the comraderie. I think we are at our best when we fly, appreciate each others workmanship, companionship, creativity, and recognize that everyone brings something to the table. Even the newbies with arf trainers will one day be the future builders. I think personally the diversity of flying is the great strength of our hobby. We need to appreciate those who come into this hobby, lets face it, many are drawn in because of the ease of getting started today. Years ago, before your first flying lesson, you first had to build the plane.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:07 PM
KidEpoxy

Jug-
I notice you didnt mention Discount Flyers.
Was there adequate representation of that kind of aeromodeling, or do we need to get that SIG to be more noticed.

Abel-
why use fancy glue whan they let me use the stapler at work
what did you think made Pizza expensive to order... all the staples we drivers waste
Old 09-23-2007, 05:31 PM
JUGFLIER

Kid, My apologies, there were two at least of the plastic pizza box type flyers. One of them i even loaned my starter to and helped him tune his engine in the pits, i don't know who he was. There were several of the flat foam style planes but we had 15 to 18 mph winds, didn't see any one put one of those up.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:11 PM
KidEpoxy

Kid, My apologies, there were two at least of the plastic pizza box type flyers
sweet,
then I'm glad to see the diversity representin'
Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Next February, I will be celebrating my 64 birthday and 60th anniversary of participating in the great hobby/sport of model aviation.

I am a builder/flyer. I also have a number of ARFs. And model rockets. I prefer to build, either from kits or plans, or an occasional model from my own warpped mind. I have built flyable models within a few hours (hand launched FF gliders) wintin a week or so (some simpler RC kits and ARFs) and eve as much as 2 decades (a Ted Strader .15 powered P-51 and a Hustler delta from MAN plans, which is stil waiting for it's maiden).

I started with small gliders like the Walker 74s and Interceptors, graduated to Walker, Guillow, North Pacific, Cleveland and Comet kits, then into glow powered FF, CL,, got a couple early ARFs like the old Japanese wire framed silk covered jobs, the Wen-Mac Aeromite .049 CL, Cox TD-1 and the like. I still have my first glow engine, a OK Cub .099 from about 1949 or 50. In 1962, when I got my first regular job, I started in RC with a Super Aerotrol Transmitter/reciever kit which I never got to work. I also built a couple other recievers from scratch, none of which worked, but taught me quite a bit about electronics, and more important, how to troubleshoot, especially how to stick to a job and improve myself. Part of what has kept me working at the same job for a company and in an industry that rarely keeps a given person for more than a couple years. I eventually went through the single channel escapement RC and graduated to multi-channel proportional RC. In a time frame when local flyers were trying to get an electric RC job to fly, and giving up because of the early difficulties, I met with sucsess. Through my involvement in building and flying, I have met many great people, learning more and even having the priveledge of teaching some of what I know. It has been a great learning and growth activity.

There is, depending on the club, quite a classless society in this activity. Just this Sunday, after mixing with truck drivers, retirees, steel workers, and a pharmicist, I got to watch a bank executive fly a great performing turbine model, then help him get a balky .15 glow job started, and show him and several other people the proper launching technique. Next Sunday, after our club meeting, I will be going to another field, either to compete in an FAC Free Flight contest, or just to set around, watch, and BS with the members. Some day I will finally take the time to drive out to a nearby county fairgrounds and do some CL flying with a club I joined almost 15 years ago, but haven't flown with since they had to move to their new location about 8 years ago.

I have seen quite a few people enter the RC flying portion through the ARF plug and play, get pretty good withing a few years, loose interest, and drop out. No growth and expansion of skills and capabilities often seems to lead to a basic boredom and attendant loss of interest.

I hope that even in the future if my health eventually makes it difficult or impossible to continue flying, I will still be able to continue with my current building of planes, model railroad equipment, and ships, including ship-in-bottles. In fact, this last summer I got a nice certificate from a local public library for lending several of my fully rigged sailing ship models to a display program they put on.

Although I don't especially care for ARFs myself, I don't put people down for it. Whatever floats your boat. If all you want to do is to fly with the minimum time involvement, have at it. Just don't dis me for enjoying what I do. If you want to stagnate, that's your priveledge and business. As long as you enjoy it.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Mode One

50+AirYears, Very well put! We have similar interests, sailing ships, Model Railroading and R/C, modeling practically all my life. However, at 57 years young, I only have 50 years or so of building models. The flying part just doesn't hold the interest for me like it used to for some reason. However opening a kit or planing a model from plans or scratch perks me right up!
Old 10-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, you "KIDS". 50+ and Mode One, you youngsters just have too many interests to attend to. Now we elders are probably a bit more specialized. Next Feb. 19, will be my 72nd birthday.

Hey, it's You guys that are the problem as you are so DIVERSIED!!! Trains, boats, cars and all those non flying things?? How can you possibly waste your YOUTH on such things? Heck, fellows, you will be taking up GOLF if you're not careful. Hope ken allows words such as GOLF in this forum. That is about as dirty a word as I know, even though all my inlaws think it is a way of life. There are some in my club that fly in the AM, then play Golf in the PM. At least that is not contagious. I still sleep in the AM and play in the PM.

Like Mode 1, I prefer being in the workshop than out flying. I was at one time a hard-core competitor in both FF and CL events. Although CL stunt was my thing, I just could not ignore the other events and FF became a most consuming activity in the '60s. I could go back there easily enough but it would take too much "Larnin' "' to get up-to-date in today's technology.

Last Sat. I entered the Club 40 event at a Pylon Contest. That plainly showed that I don't spend enough time on the flying field practicing. OTOH I witnessed the fast folks that spend hours and hours working on a machine that is going to do 5 flights of a minute or so. I am NOT into that kind of time in the workshop!

The diversity in model aviation is a result of technology, youth education, changes in society, and our entire social society. It's evolution just as we put away the coils and condensers when good ol' Ray Arden presented to us the glow-plug. Model FLYING is the mode. Modelers have always come and gone. Like back in the early '70s when the youngster -- can't remember his name -- showed up and won the Pattern event at the NATs for 3 years in a row, then quit and went off to be a Dentist.
Now we have another one doing the same. Check out young Brett Wikizer. He just got into Pattern several years ago. Won every round in NATs Intermediate last year, this year he jumped over Masters and took SIXTH in FAI against all those NAME fliers. I think he is now 17.

Modeling is not too diversive. It's just that the world changes daily and we elders are not keeping up very well. Look to the future and don't dwell on the history of one eye-blink ago.

Now M-1 and 50+, you guys do know -- I hope -- that my jabs were all in fun because I am the real old flart.

edited: spelling
Old 10-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Mode One

From one old flart to another, all jabs were taken as funnin' around!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:47 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to take so long to get back. Just can't see spending hours a day more than a day or two a week punching a keyboard, especially when I spend so much time at one as part of my job. Especially on weekends. Takes too much time away from building, repairing and flying.

Frankly, I have played golf. Mea Culpa!! Or at least pretended I knew what I was doing on a course. Only real attraction it has for me so far is to be one of the last people on a course at closing, around sunset. Can spend hours watching the fox, deer, and other non-human critters galavanting around the course. Takes me twice as long to play a round. Had a bid in on a new position at work once, only bidder on the project who had been working on the product. Thought I was a shoo in. Catbert indicated I looked real good, only had one more person to interview. As I left the interview room, at lunchtime, saw another person coming down the hall carrying a set of clubs. Catbert was pulling a set out of a cupbord. New right then and there I wasn't getting the position.

Hey, Hoss. My birthday is the 16th. Close. Also the anniversary of my first kit build.

As far as diversity, my mother had a saying about people who concentrated on only one small aspect of a big picture. She was referring to music, but I've always thought it applies to anything in life. She used to say that kind of [person was "Somebody who would go to the biggest most elegant buffet in the world, and only eat the dill pickles.

I barely consider myself an old flart. More an LMAP (lecherous middle-aged prevert!) I am currently trying to help an old friend, in fact the father of an old school days chum, who just got out of a nursing home after about 2 years who is trying to get back into some flying before his ephysema stops him. Hopefully this August weather we are having in October will hold up for long enough.

Hey, if a person can't laugh at himself, he ain't got enough of a sense of humor to laugh at anybody else, either. I do a lot of laughing. Except when I see some of those put-down "Talents" that haunt the TV Comedy Clubs.