Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Will the AMA be there?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Will the AMA be there?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 07:34 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Will the AMA be there?

Top Gun 2008 begins on Wednesday, 23 April 2008, and runs through Sunday. I wonder if the AMA will be there this year? They have not been in the past, even though, Frank Tiano has installed signage welcoming them to the event. Greg Hahn will be there (as a competitor), but will the rest of the EC bother to attend, or will we have to read about it elsewhere? The District V Vice president has not been there for the last several years, and this is THE EVENT in his district. He does go to The Joe Nall, but not the premier event in the Southeast. This event draws tons of people who are being exposed to the hobby for the first time, and it's a shame to allow that many interested people to walk away, and never hear about our organization. I'll be there, but I'll be working the event.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 04-20-2008, 08:15 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will the AMA be there?

I wonder if the AMA will be there this year?
If you are a member, than that means the AMA will be there. Members are the AMA, those people in Muncie are just the paper pushers. You should contact them and ask them if you can get some AMA gear.

When I did the DOGS event at the OMP booth, RCU sent me some shirts, stickers, hats, banners and other propaganda to cross promote their brand within our booth. I'm sure those people up in Muncie would be more than happy to send you some promo stuff if you want to take it upon yourself to help promote your organization, you should ask.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 PM
abel_pranger

Stickbuilder-

AMA or no, you're right, it is the premier event and I'm sorry to say I'll be missing it this year as I won't be returning to FL until mid-May. Hope your working the event doesn't get in the way of your enjoying the show to fullest.

Abel
Old 04-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Silent-AV8R

I'm curious what other events the entire EC has attended that makes you think that Top Gun is being slighted?? And for the record the giant scale folks see Joe Nall as "THE" event. Giant scale aerobatics guys see the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout as "THE" event. The heli guys see the IRCHA Jamboree as "THE" event. Point is that the definition of "THE" event varies.

And I am NOT trying to denigrate the Top Gun event. But it is important to recognize that many others would not agree as to what "THE" event was. And it would be nice if your District VP was able to attend, but that is not always practical or possible.

I am also curious if you sent this question to the actual EC members and your District VP? Seems like that might have been a more effective way to find out what they were planning and to communicate your sense of the opportunity that Top Gun provides.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:51 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

I'm curious what other events the entire EC has attended that makes you think that Top Gun is being slighted?? And for the record the giant scale folks see Joe Nall as "THE" event. Giant scale aerobatics guys see the Tucson Aerobatic Shootout as "THE" event. The heli guys see the IRCHA Jamboree as "THE" event. Point is that the definition of "THE" event varies.

And I am NOT trying to denigrate the Top Gun event. But it is important to recognize that many others would not agree as to what "THE" event was. And it would be nice if your District VP was able to attend, but that is not always practical or possible.

I am also curious if you sent this question to the actual EC members and your District VP? Seems like that might have been a more effective way to find out what they were planning and to communicate your sense of the opportunity that Top Gun provides.
Well, for starters, they held a mini-convention (or something of that nature) at the Joe Nall last year. The Nall was reported by the Vice Presidents for District 1 and District 2, but not by District 5. Top Gun is not an Aerobatics contest, but rather an invitational event for the best in the world, not what is best on the West Coast.

I have asked the District 5 Vice President to attend, or at least send someone to represent the AMA. We'll see whether or not he does. Hopefully this answers all your questions, and rebutts your comments.

This was not posted as a rant, but is a reasonable question. The AMA is not represented at this contest. I think it should be. What's your problem with that?

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 04-21-2008, 04:06 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What record is the record of which you state? Are you the spokesman for all ".... the giant scale folks..."? Where did Stick state "....the entire EC..."? As one with some familiarity with AMA attended shows, I suspected that stick was speaking of maybe some staff there with an AMA Booth set-up, along with the DVP or maybe a couple of Associate DVPs. That would constitute a definite presence of AMA.

There you go being the spokesman for the Dist. V DVP. In addition Stick stated, "....this is THE EVENT in his district." Stick never claimed world-wide recognition of the event, although it does invite such.
Where did Stick so state that he had not? Stick only stated what he was wondering about. In my not-so-humble opinion, I think Stick has a perfect right to do such.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

What record is the record of which you state? Are you the spokesman for all ".... the giant scale folks..."? Where did Stick state "....the entire EC..."? As one with some familiarity with AMA attended shows, I suspected that stick was speaking of maybe some staff there with an AMA Booth set-up, along with the DVP or maybe a couple of Associate DVPs. That would constitute a definite presence of AMA.
Against my better judgment, here goes. First Hoss, you know perfectly well that "for the record" is a rhetorical statement used in discussions, so why feign ignorance?

Second, here is what the OP said:

but will the rest of the EC bother to attend,
That certainly appears to infer that he was talking about the entire EC.

As always, I regret posting in this forum. You guys have fun.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Guys......anyone who genuinely wants to spend a day or a weekend watching this show does not need to be asked. If the question is whether or not the AMA has a responsibility to attend all the major events of all the SIGs [not just the ones who spend the most money on their toys], then the AMA might as well hire a full time crew[s] to weave around the country and make the scene at all the major events so that no one feels left out.
I would expect to see columnists from the major magazines [including MA] there at any rate.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Silent-AV8R

Post error
Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, I saw this post problem above. I have already passed this on to Marc so that he can get the programmers looking at it.

Ken
Old 04-21-2008, 10:06 AM
DocYates
My Feedback: (102)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

StickBuilder,
Please look for me, I will be there, my first time as a competitor. I am flying in the Pro-Am class and would love to meet you.
Looking forward to good weather and an enjoyable trip
Take care
Tommy
Old 04-21-2008, 12:16 PM
BillHarris

I have asked the District 5 Vice President to attend, or at least send someone to represent the AMA. We'll see whether or not he does...
I'm not suprised that the former D5 VP didn't attend TG, there may not have been antique shoppes conveniently nearby [)] , but I am surprised that current D5 Veep hasn't attended, nor that an AVP hasn't attended, what with Florida being the "biggest AMA" state in D5 (IIRC) with 4-5 AVPs (IIRC).

Bill

PS congrats, Tommy for being a competitor at TG.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:50 PM
DocYates

Thanks Bill. I'm a little nervous but excited. It should be a great experience.
Tommy
Old 04-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: DocYates

StickBuilder,
Please look for me, I will be there, my first time as a competitor. I am flying in the Pro-Am class and would love to meet you.
Looking forward to good weather and an enjoyable trip
Take care
Tommy
Dr. Tommy,

I'll see you There. What are you flying? Usually, it's easier to find a plane than the competitor.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 04-21-2008, 01:32 PM
DocYates

Airtractor 502B, yellow with blue trim. A simple plane but sometimes simple can be good.
I will look for you.
Tommy
Old 04-21-2008, 02:20 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silent-AV8R:
Second, here is what the OP said:

but will the rest of the EC bother to attend,
That certainly appears to infer that he was talking about the entire EC.
DRATS! Touche! Oh Silent One!

Glad that wasn't a rattlesnake, but I got bit just the same. [sm=red_smile.gif]

Tried to save you, Stick, but the quicksand is just too deep!
Old 04-21-2008, 03:30 PM
BillHarris

AT-502? Sweet. Photo attached.

I'm working my way up the "scale masters" level some day. "Pipe dream" now is to do my PZL Wilga (been working on it for millenia now) or a Transavia Airtruk (or something with "character")...

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28827.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	934136  
Old 04-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

DRATS! Touche! Oh Silent One!

Glad that wasn't a rattlesnake, but I got bit just the same. [sm=red_smile.gif]

Tried to save you, Stick, but the quicksand is just too deep!
And Hoss, imagine my surprise that you let this one get by you:

Greg Hahn will be there (as a competitor), but will the rest of the EC bother to attend,
Greg Hahn is a paid AMA staff member (Technical Director), he is not on the EC.

But the point is taken that each of us would like to see the AMA out in the trenches more. And each group thinks that everyone else is getting all the attention. Mom always did like you better............
Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Stickbuilder

Doc, I'll look you up. I'll be wearing the funny Zap official hat and shirt.

Bill, AMA 4720

Silent-AV8R

As I said, I'm not starting a rant, but can you imagine an event of this magnitude, and the AMA not being present to offer their services and benefits to the public? At least having a token representation there to pass out literature, and someone to report on the event for Model Aviation? The absence of the AMA speaks volumes. Sorry that I ruffled your feathers with the post, but I think the subject warrants further questioning. How would you feel if the AMA chose to ignore your premier West Coast event, or chose to ignore the Nall, or the NEAT fair? I think that you would be whizzed in a major fashion.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 04-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
How would you feel if the AMA chose to ignore your premier West Coast event, or chose to ignore the Nall, or the NEAT fair? I think that you would be whizzed in a major fashion.

Bill, AMA 4720
See, I think this is the problem. You see it as the AMA "choosing" to ignore this particular event, or "choosing" to ignore events in general. I am not aware that AMA has sent a contingent to any major contest. The Tucson Aerobatic Shootout, Joe Nall, etc. Certainly none of the soaring events (like Visalia, where we ge 300+ entries). So maybe it is a bigger question.

I know that in my District the VP works hard at getting around and we as AVPs also attend and report on events.

It just seems to me that the better place to pose this question is with the AMA Leadership directly, and that was my main point.

Bill
AMA 4172
Old 04-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Stickbuilder

See, I think this is the problem. You see it as the AMA "choosing" to ignore this particular event, or "choosing" to ignore events in general. I am not aware that AMA has sent a contingent to any major contest. The Tucson Aerobatic Shootout, Joe Nall, etc. Certainly none of the soaring events (like Visalia, where we ge 300+ entries). So maybe it is a bigger question.

I know that in my District the VP works hard at getting around and we as AVPs also attend and report on events.

It just seems to me that the better place to pose this question is with the AMA Leadership directly, and that was my main point.

Bill
AMA 4172
I have posed the question to our DVP. Now it remains to be seen whether or not he will (or will have someone) attend the event. They (quite a few of the EC membership) do attend the Nall. The Joe Nall is a great event, but it is but a Fly-in (writ large). The TOP GUN event is international in flavor, and has a huge following. I don't think that you can honestly say that you don't pay attention to who and what is there. It is not an Electric event, although there will be electric powered models there. It is not an aerobatic event, but rather is a Scale contest of the highest order. Perhaps you don't like scale, but then again, maybe you do.

As I have stated several times, I have posed the question to the leadership of the AMA, directly. The membership needs to be aware of the fact that they choose not to show up. Is this your AMA dollars at work? I sincerely hope not.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
Perhaps you don't like scale, but then again, maybe you do.
Wow. Where did you get that? So if someone expresses another viewpoint they hate scale?? That is the issue. You think the AMA is not sending people because they "hate scale"!!

My only point is that each group thinks theirs is the premier event. Nothing more, nothing less. I think Top Gun is an awesome event and I only wish it were closer to me. But as far as International goes, it is not alone. The Tucson Aerobatic Shootout attracts invited pilots from around the globe. So do other events.

I know the EC wishes they could get to more events, but then you can count on hearing people gripe about the EC spending money traveling to events!! Can't win!!

As I have stated several times, I have posed the question to the leadership of the AMA, directly. The membership needs to be aware of the fact that they choose not to show up. Is this your AMA dollars at work? I sincerely hope not.

Bill, AMA 4720

Why couch it in such negative terms?/ They "choose" not to show up. Can’t be they cannot due to other obligations, lack of budget, time conflicts, family conflicts (remember, they ARE volunteers) or any of the 100 things that can keep a person from going to an event. Nope, they CHOOSE not to show up out of a lack of interest or whatever. That's my point. Why make it into a negative right off the bat?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:19 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder......I have posed the question to our DVP. Now it remains to be seen whether or not he will (or will have someone) attend the event.

Bill, AMA 4720
......they are drawing straws right now to see who has to go
Old 04-21-2008, 10:44 PM
GAP-RCU

This seems too obvious, but nobody has mentioned it here: How much respect does Frank Tiano carry with the upper echelon of the AMA? Maybe this is a taboo subject.

I ask only because I've sense that there has been friction in the past. My understanding is that Tiano's latest project (very large model show) side steps the AMA altogether. Could a long history be the reason the AMA turns it's attention elsewhere? I've only been an AMA member since 2000, so no doubt, there's a lot that I don't know.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:54 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

While I agree it would be good for the AMA to attend Top Gun, I also have to say, that after having been to both Joe Nall and Top Gun more than once, it appears to me that MANY more people attend Joe Nall. That may be why the AMA selects that venue over Top Gun for the membership meeting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.