Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

JUNE MODEL AVIATION MAGAZINE COVER.

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

JUNE MODEL AVIATION MAGAZINE COVER.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 10:18 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JUNE MODEL AVIATION MAGAZINE COVER.

June MA has been here for a while, but knowing from experience that it won't contain much of interest, I didn't really look at it. How wrong - it does have something of interest. The cover! The cover hits me in many ways, all negative. Actually it offends me. Wouldn't you think there are many real model airplanes, built (read: BUILT!) here in this country by Americans, more deserving of being featured on the cover of our national body's magaine, than a made-in-China foam *&^%$(!
Wouldn't you think, for example, that Marvin Mace's FF Nats winner, for which many photos and plans are found inside is much more deserving of this important spot. And how about Frank Beatty's "Berkliner-Joyce" on page 168. Who could pass that up for some molded foam?
But then, what can you expect when the contents include such things as "Three ARF's with the same objective....."(Page 74)
What say you???
Old 06-15-2008, 11:20 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: JUNE MODEL AVIATION MAGAZINE COVER.

While I do agree with you, ARF's pay the bills, it is as simply as that. Good Luck, Dave
Old 06-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Silent-AV8R

I agree. We need to stop using everything from China. Not just cheap ARF junk, but stuff that actually will send them a message.

Of course that means you'll be walking naked and barefoot almost everywhere you go since it is nearly impossible to find anything that is not somehow touched by China, but we've got to show them that we mean business!!

BTW, the planes you mentioned probably used many materials that are not from the USA. Like balsa wood, paints, and so on. Maybe we can target them next.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:39 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The pages of MA, as well as the front cover have huge commercial value.
Imagine all the offers of wining and dining that the editors of our non-profit mag have to decline to accept from the manufacturers.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:50 AM
KidEpoxy

Actually CP, you may be onto something.
If we just accept whatever if any kickbacks & Print-ola perks at market value,
and declare its value as "Other MA Revenue",
maybe it can get out of the red ink. [&:]

Of course, getting out of the red ink is important,
cause I think the chinese red ink has lead in it.... or is that Pet Poison in it?

Has anyone sent the ARF GLUE to UL for lead Testing?[8D]
Old 06-16-2008, 01:14 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

As consumers we have to make a decision: Do we want cheap prices or domestic jobs and superior products? I think we made that decision so all of our products come form China and all of our jobs went there too! I think we all understand they build an inferior product for the most part, but we made our bed and now we must sleep in it.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:38 PM
abel_pranger

I can not tell you the depth of my dismay at seeing that cover. I would burn my AMA card right now, except that it would lead to some hassle when I want to use a club field. The editor should burn in the eternal fires for this abominable sacrilege.

Abel
Old 06-17-2008, 07:21 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Hmmm, the cover was about the E-Fest. Was that in China? Long way to travel to fly a foamie.[X(]
Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Rafael23cc

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although I may agree with you in the importing of goods part of your rant, I was at E-Fest this year and was able to talk to a great guy from Wichita, Kansas that is a manufacturer and distributor of foam indoor airplanes like the one pictured on the cover of the magazine. And many more shop owners, and distributors present at the event.

So before we go out bashing the magazine and the AMA like it seems to be a regular occurence in this forum, please get your facts straight. I cannot recognize the model pictured, and cannot say with out a doubt who the manufacturer is.

Electric power is here to stay. Mini and micro aircraft are introducing a greater number of people into the hobby compared to the fuel powered aircraft that we are all used to. If that is the wave of the future, then we have to embrace it, or run the risk of being left behind. It has nothing to do where the aircraft is manufactured.

If you are going to complain about importing goods... Let me ask you a question, what brand of radio equipment do you have? a Polk's Hobby radio? That is the only one I know being manufactured completely in the USA. but I could be wrong.

Rafael
Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

By merely glancing at the cover one could think he received the PPP rag in error. [:'(]
Old 06-17-2008, 11:02 AM
KidEpoxy

RAF-
I dont think it was so much as to WHERE the Foamie ARFs were made,
but that cheap arfs have taken over where folks used to model <the verb>.

Sure I took some comical shots at chinese quality control,
but let me get serious.

What is next for the cover of MA?
Does it matter what country makes a SPAD-ARF put together with staples in 3 minutes,
or that a cheap Roadsign Stapled Spad would be gracing the cover of MA.

Hows about a nice HoB 1/12 Texan electric kit built?
Or a Shrike kitbuilt with a 2500w outrunner? <careful, it lands a little fast>
Or a E-DNU internet plan built?

There are plenty of E-planes that have been crafted by members,
and wood kits for e-building

Why put comercial imposed arf covers on a NON-PROFIT ORG member magazine?
Maybe we need a Not'er For Profit magazine the members can get on the cover of
rather than comercialized, profit driven cover of MA.

When said like that, it kinda makes the arguement that manufactured dictate whats on the cover seem silly.
Either run MA as a member supported magazine that doesnt bend knee to the manufactured demands,
or get out of the red ink and print what whatever makes money.
But the members are paying for manufactures to dictate covers dont make sense. Pick one plan & run with it.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:37 AM
crownvic

I can rember when it was the cheap junk from Japan then it was Tiwan now it is China with Walmart as a perfect partner!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:31 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

And you guys think the e-ticket holders are actually worried about voting privliages? Seems to me the AMA has switched gears in the right direction ... a little late, but at least better than never so they say.

Great cover ... loved it. A turn in the right direction for the new millenium.

Oh and by the way ... if you want the chinese to stop making toys at a lower price ... stop buying it.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:42 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Either run MA as a member supported magazine that doesnt bend knee to the manufactured demands,
or get out of the red ink and print what whatever makes money.
How do you intend to "make money" without utilizing people and companies whom are willing to spend money? Ask for more member donations????
Old 06-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Clay Walters

Well, how do you feel about genuine, 24 carat, All-American, junk? Personally, the Chinese manufactured items that I'm buying have been quite good to me and even more so for the cost. After all, they only sell over here what OUR companies and vendors have them build and offer to sell here. It can be junk and it can be high quality.

If it wasn't for Sony teaching us that Japanese can make quality electronics; Honda quality motorcycles and now cars, JR for R/C radios...we'd still be making the snide "Made in Japan" remarks in the same tone.

What about Ferrari, BMW, Mercede Benz, etc.? Subaru? Volvo? Stihl? Husquavarna?

Yeah, why buy all that foreign junk when you can get a good solid American made RCA or Indian, Homelight, or Rambler? Oh yeah; you can't.

If no one was buying the dang things MA wouldn't be featuring them on their cover,

Clay
Old 06-17-2008, 02:31 PM
Rafael23cc

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

RAF-
I dont think it was so much as to WHERE the Foamie ARFs were made,
but that cheap arfs have taken over where folks used to model <the verb>.
What is next for the cover of MA?
Does it matter what country makes a SPAD-ARF put together with staples in 3 minutes,
or that a cheap Roadsign Stapled Spad would be gracing the cover of MA.
I think I understand what you are saying. I was there, and there were hundreds of subjects to pick from as far as taking pictures is concerned. I came back with over 100 pictures in my camera and I was only there from Friday at about 8pm to Sunday at 8am. Out of those 100+ pictures, most were poorly composed, pictures of airplanes under/on tables, stuff at the vendors booths ect. My point? Although the opportunities for a great shot were there, how many you think were worthy of a magazine cover?

Yes, I came back with pictures of the prop that displays a message while spinning, I took pictures of the flying witch, I took pictures of the foamy combat, the peanut gallery the paragliders, and I took pictures of the helicopter competition (of course!). But none of them were worthy of a magazine cover. So I ask the question, are we looking too hard into this?

Back tou your comment on the SPAD. If the main report of the magazine, is based on RC Combat, and the photographer managed to get a great picture of a SPAD cutting a ribbon, then why not put it on the cover of the magazine?

Are we absolutely sure that money is behind the selection of the cover, and not just that it was a great picture? Some of us need to go out and fly more. I have sid it before and I say it again.

And to finalize my statement, and to go back to my corner, I would add that I was corrected in the fact that Polk's Hobbies Radios are not manufactured in the USA. So what do we have left? [8D] Although I think I was misled in the beginning of the topic and importing goods is not the real subject of this thread.

Rafael
Old 06-17-2008, 02:56 PM
KidEpoxy

Raf-
Perhaps we would have more cover quality pics brought home if they did like car shows...
and get more Bikini Girls to model the models. [sm=thumbup.gif]

cheers
Old 06-17-2008, 06:58 PM
Stickbuilder

I just checked. The pulse is flatlined, there are absolutely no vital signs at all, and the core temperature is at ambient air temperature. The horse is dead. Why not stop the beating? This is turning into another of those God Forsaken ARF vs Build, or Electric vs Wet power arguments. There will be no winner. It will just let the Moderator throw his weight around and close yet another thread.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 06-20-2008, 07:18 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

For "Stickbuilder" etal! Please go back to my initial posting, which had nothing to do with "arf vs build, electric vs wet" or similar comments. My objections were to the use of a photo of a non-US flying toy on the cover of our national body's magazine when, I feel strongly, there are numerous real model planes built by Americans that deserve the spot.
I am aware of the commercial gain to the magazine, its personnel and reviewers, but the basic fact remains, we are Americans and should promote our own products and people as much as possible. I find it more insulting and demeaning that examples of American efforts were included inside the magazine more deserving of the cover spot.
My reference to "flying toy" will no doubt offend some of you. I strongly defend your right to do what you like, fly what you like, but you can not compare the ?? on the cover to a wood or composite model plane built from either a kit, plans, or personal design. Nor will the foam flyer ever know the degree of personal satisfaction that builders of the latter enjoy.
I was once referred to here in RCU as being full of "crapola" because I pointed out that Sanyo, Panasonic etc, definitely authorities on the subject of rechargeable batteries, do not recommend connecting them in parallel as some R/C "experts" do.
I was called a "jerk" because I wrote that "Z" bends are not all that precise and asked for examples where such are in use in any high-quality precision commercial equipment. None showed up!
So if you disagree with me that strongly, at least be original - and for crying out loud, spell it correctly. EloyM AMA 1995 (0riginal issue from the 40's).
Old 06-20-2008, 09:56 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GLOBAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:57 PM

Again, the cover was about E-fest. Indoor flying. Foamies are probably the most popular indoor flyer. Doesn't matter what is flown. Just fly and have fun. Fun is the is operative word.

Magazine covers are designed to get your attention. It got yours. You looked inside and found something you liked, right?
Mission accomplished.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:10 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: 804

Again, the cover was about E-fest. Indoor flying. Foamies are probably the most popular indoor flyer. Doesn't matter what is flown. Just fly and have fun. Fun is the is operative word.

Magazine covers are designed to get your attention. It got yours. You looked inside and found something you liked, right?
Mission accomplished.
I took mine out of the mailbox, walked to the garage, and deposited it in the trash can. The landfill is grateful for another piece of junk mail. I couldn't begin to tell you what was on the cover, much less what was inside. One by one, I'm dropping my subscriptions to the magazines that are heavily into both ARF and Electric. That leaves me with only a couple of options, both European. So you guys are right. I can't buy USA any more. I'm down to 2 vehicles. One from the USA, and one from Sweeden. No Pacific rim junk in my garage.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 06-21-2008, 08:36 PM
KidEpoxy

Stick
With an attitude like that,
you should grab some 1/16 sheet & a #11, and come on over to the 1/2A Forum. We'll hook you up with some plans that are just a handfull of hours from starting to cut to mounting your US Cox049 on & prop flip flip flipping to a US made good time. You could whip out a DNU in no time.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Mission accomplished.
I took mine out of the mailbox, walked to the garage, and deposited it in the trash can. The landfill is grateful for another piece of junk mail. I couldn't begin to tell you what was on the cover, much less what was inside. One by one, I'm dropping my subscriptions to the magazines that are heavily into both ARF and Electric. That leaves me with only a couple of options, both European. So you guys are right. I can't buy USA any more. I'm down to 2 vehicles. One from the USA, and one from Sweeden. No Pacific rim junk in my garage.

Bill, AMA 4720

That's okay. There are plenty of people with positive attitudes about toy airplanes to keep MA and the other rags afloat. But, you should at least recycle. If your not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, trash wise that is.[X(]
Old 06-21-2008, 10:34 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Mission accomplished.

Bill, AMA 4720

That's okay. There are plenty of people with positive attitudes about toy airplanes to keep MA and the other rags afloat. But, you should at least recycle. If your not part of the solution, you're part of the problem, trash wise that is.[X(]
The problem is that they won't allow us to opt out of receiving the junk.

Bill, AMA 4720

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.