Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Election for AMA Executive Vice President

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Horrace Cain Life/Leader Member D VIII
40.95%
Mark Smith DVP D9
40.00%
I will write in someone else
2.86%
Undecided
10.48%
I probably will not vote
4.76%
It was my decision to opt for non-voting status by selecting PP prog
0.95%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Election for AMA Executive Vice President

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:09 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Election for AMA Executive Vice President

Unofficial at this time, but it has been reported that Horrace Cain will be on the ballot for AMA Executive Vice President in the upcoming AMA election. Mark Smith, VP District IX is the other candidate on the ballot.

8/15/08 IT IS NOW OFFICIAL!
Old 07-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Election for AMA Executive Vice President

I'll start this thread off by saying that I would most probably vote for Horrace, not knowing who the other candidates are, because I have a pretty good idea of where he stands. He certainly has the credentials for the office, and I believe he would work hard for the betterment of the AMA. He, along with the new President, Dave Mathewson, who I endorse whole-heartedly; I think that together they could accomplish a lot.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jim Messer

I'll start this thread off by saying that I would most probably vote for Horrace, not knowing who the other candidates are, because I have a pretty good idea of where he stands. He certainly has the credentials for the office, and I believe he would work hard for the betterment of the AMA. He, along with the new President, Dave Mathewson, who I endorse whole-heartedly; I think that together they could accomplish a lot.

Jim,
There are only two running, the other is Mark Smith, Dist IX Vice President from Shawnee, KS.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Red. Thanks for the clarification. Will need to do some research on M.S.

Old 07-27-2008, 02:34 PM
pilott28
My Feedback: (27)

I do not know Horrace other than his posts here. I do work with Mark Smith on the insurance committee and we have had occasional dialog on other topics. I have always found him to be an active participant without being overbearing, and with a positive and enthusiastic attitude. I think he is progressive and forward looking, with a broad range of modeling interests. I don't live in the district, so my opinion carries no vote with it, but since I have worked with Mark I thought I would throw my 2 cents on the table.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:54 PM
TraxxasTrucks

I think Horrace is the man for the job too. He has the credentials and would work hard for the agenda of the AMA accomplishing quite a bit during his time there.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: pilott28

I do not know Horrace other than his posts here. I do work with Mark Smith on the insurance committee and we have had occasional dialog on other topics. I have always found him to be an active participant without being overbearing, and with a positive and enthusiastic attitude. I think he is progressive and forward looking, with a broad range of modeling interests. I don't live in the district, so my opinion carries no vote with it, but since I have worked with Mark I thought I would throw my 2 cents on the table.
Kieth,

This vote for Exec. Vice President, a national office. All Open AMA members may vote. It does not matter what district you are in.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Unofficial at this time, but it has been reported that Horrace Cain will be on the ballot for AMA Executive Vice President in the upcoming AMA election. Mark Smith, VP District IX is the other candidate on the ballot.

Red, I am not informed as you apparently are. The information has not been passed my way.

If there are only two candidates, then my 'Dear Watson', it is elementary that the Bylaws separating the EVP and the Chief Financial Officer positions passed. The incumbent EVP will become the "appointed" CFO. That subject was on the Agenda for the 07-26-08 EC meeting.

While the current CFO will be continuing to do whatever it is that he does, if I should be elected to the EVP position the CFO will be under a watchful eye and operational secrecy will cease to exist.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:56 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

[ am not informed as you apparently are. The information has not been passed my way.

If there are only two candidates, then my 'Dear Watson', it is elementary that the Bylaws separating the EVP and the Chief Financial Officer positions passed. The incumbent EVP will become the "appointed" CFO. That subject was on the Agenda for the 07-26-08 EC meeting.
Funny, I could not find it in the agenda where Doug Holland will become the appointed CEO. Which one of the items below addressed it?

Nominating Committee Meeting
Muncie, Indiana
July 26, 2008
8:00 a.m.

Executive Council Meeting
Immediately following

1. Opening Business

Introduction of guests

All items on the Consent Agenda will be voted on at one time. Any EC member may request a Consent Item to be pulled and added to the regular Agenda.

2. Consent Agenda

a. Approval of April 2008 Minutes*

3. President’s Report
D. Mathewson

a. Carl Goldberg Vital People Award

b. Investment banker’s attendance at a future EC meeting

c. Team Selection Committee appointments

d. Strategic long-range plan

e. 2008 HOF recipients

4. Executive Vice President's Report D. Holland
a. Per diem

5. Executive Director's Report J. Cherry
a. Flying Site Coordinators reports

b. Membership Development/Marketing presentation

c. Reading of mail votes into the minutes

6. NAA Report J. Gaffney
a. Dues and fees presentation
Executive Session
7. Committee Reports
a. Museum Steering Committee
B. Teague
b. Bylaw Review Committee
A. Argenio
c. Marketing Committee
Membership disability discounts
M. Smith
d. Insurance Committee

e. Publications Committee
B. Oberdieck
f. Scholarship Committee
B. Underwood
g. Nominating Committee
B. Teague
h. Safety Committee
B. Underwood
Lunch
8. Old Business
a. 2.4 GHz Site Insurance
B. Underwood
9. New Business
a. FAA ARC report
R. Hanson
b. XFC Report
B. Brown
c. Increase Experimental Aircraft maximum weight
G. Fitch
d. Increase the Aircraft maximum takeoff weight limit
G. Fitch
e. FAI World Championship Team procedures update B. Brown
10. Awards
11. Adjournment

Old 07-30-2008, 03:15 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

i thought the by laws balloting was open untill 31 jul, postmark date. wouldn't that make it rather unseemly to be announcing the win/loss status at this time?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:08 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: mongo

i thought the by laws balloting was open untill 31 jul, postmark date. wouldn't that make it rather unseemly to be announcing the win/loss status at this time?
Not if there is no way to track who voted in what manner...
Old 07-31-2008, 12:23 AM
KidEpoxy

Gee, why did folks have concerns with the Fraudable Ballots... oh, because of junk exactly like this.

Let me guess, they burned each ballot after counting it too?
Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

You are right I am sure KE, unless the votes are from Florida, and then of course we would have to learn to count again because of the "SWINGING CHADS, PREGGO CHADS, ELONGATED CHADS, MISSING CHADS AND ALL THE OTHER CHADS"
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 AM
The Toolman

I went back to one of Hoss's posts, an his date mentioned was July 21st......

Ronnie
Old 08-02-2008, 11:01 PM
rcuman

Red, I am not informed as you apparently are. The information has not been passed my way.

While the current CFO will be continuing to do whatever it is that he does, if I should be elected to the EVP position the CFO will be under a watchful eye and operational secrecy will cease to exist.

This statement right here seems to me that you would be an over bearing person to the people below you. Thus being somewhat of a hinderance to their job. It also seems to me from the above post that you will be behind their back every hour watching what they are doing instead of what you are supposed to be doing. I voted for undecided but now I think I may be swaying to one side now. I admire the fact that you want to make sure that everyone below you is pulling their weight, but there is another side to that coin. If you stand over them keeping a watchful eye on everything they do then how can they do their job properly when you are in the way? As for operational secrecy, please explain why you think there is secrecy.

Thank You

Old 08-03-2008, 05:28 AM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: rcuman

This statement right here seems to me that you would be an over bearing person to the people below you. Thus being somewhat of a hinderance to their job. It also seems to me from the above post that you will be behind their back every hour watching what they are doing instead of what you are supposed to be doing. I voted for undecided but now I think I may be swaying to one side now. I admire the fact that you want to make sure that everyone below you is pulling their weight, but there is another side to that coin. If you stand over them keeping a watchful eye on everything they do then how can they do their job properly when you are in the way? As for operational secrecy, please explain why you think there is secrecy.

Thank You
Agreed, the AMA actually needs politicians, more than they need crusaders. I think Dave Mathewson played the game perfectly. Seriously, the AMA is not that bad off. Sure the numbers might be slipping, but the operational side is not as bad as Hoss and a few others always claims it to be. Also his take on finance is what I would consider inadequate, based on many previous posts.

And in regard to the PPP, the biggest problem is that those don't believe it won't work, don't need the service, go figure.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 AM
kid chuckles

Man he has done that a bunch of times. Hoss has said that he would be for the people and not for only what is best or thought best for the upper AMA folks. And he has shown that here and by what he does. Think he will be very good for US and keeping a watchful eye doesn't mean get in the way. If i understand then he would just try to make sure we were being looked out for before higher AMA members that get alot for not much while we struggle to get something as small as primary ins. (just example) not meant to get off on ins. Thanks Hoss you do seem to be member oriented and not for the MAN lol.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:58 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcuman

Thank You

rcuman,

From what I have seen from the Staffers, they need some oversight. For the past few years, it would appear that the Staffers are running the Executive Committee (by telling them what they can publish for dissemitation etc.) instead of the elected officers running things and handing down policy to the Staffers. We have been experiencing a case of the tail wagging the dog.

If that would equate to better services for you and the rest of the membership, then it would be worth the effort. We have had several things crammed down our throats, in spite of the majority of the opinions that the Staffers solicited opinions on, and it's time the members opinions counted for something more than, "Well we did put out questions regarding this, and acted as we felt was appropriate". Not We acted as the membership requested.

If you think that I'm wrong, just take a look at how large the staff has grown in the last 5 years. Look at what that has done to the fixed overhead of the Academy. If you think that operating the magazine at a loss is a white elephant, look at what it costs us to staff the facility at Muncie. If you think I'm mistaken, just look at the telephone list that you can find on the AMA website.

As to whether Horrace would be standing over their shoulders, I think that the possibility of him doing just that might serve to get the Staff off their collective Butts, and get them doing something that the membership wants (for a change).

A perfect example of this occurred last year when Joyce Hagar asked several of the membership for their opinions on a tiered membership plan. The majority of the responces were in the negative. We got the PPP anyway, which is decidely a tiered membership, and one in which those who join, get absolutely no say in the operation thereof. No ability to vote, nominate, or anything. They do get reduced insurance coverage, and a quarterly magazine. If the staff were interested in allowing the membership to have a say in how the Academy is operated, then why not allow these members to nominate officers, or even vote on the National, and District elections? Doing what the Staff did serves to front-load their agenda to their liking, and nothing more. Otherwise, why not allow the Park Pilot Program members to vote, at least on matters that would concern only them and be able to vote for those who would be making the rules that they have to live by?

Let me say one more thing here. I, personally am not against the Park Pilots. I think that they needed to be included in the AMA membershp. I have (and if you will go back and look, rather than having a knee-jerk reaction to what I posted), always been against a tiered membership which would make a second class group of members, and one that would mean that that group could not have any say in the rules that Govern them. While I choose not to fly that type of model, my choice does not go against their rights to fly what they wish.

I will be voting for Horrace Cain.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You could not ask for anyone more dedicated or genuinely interested in his mission. If he is the type who demands an honest effort and day's worth of work from the staff, good. Hoss is clearly the guy with the credentials. The other guys might be just as qualified, but who knows?
Old 08-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Red Sch>
Funny, I could not find it in the agenda where Doug Holland will become the appointed CEO. Which one of the items below addressed it?

Nominating Committee Meeting
Muncie, Indiana
July 26, 2008
8:00 a.m.

5. Executive Director's Report J. Cherry
a. Flying Site Coordinators reports

b. Membership Development/Marketing presentation

c. Reading of mail votes into the minutes
snips here and there

6. NAA Report J. Gaffney
a. Dues and fees presentation
Executive Session
7. Committee Reports
a. Museum Steering Committee
B. Teague
b. Bylaw Review Committee
A. Argenio
c. Marketing Committee
Membership disability discounts
M. Smith
d. Insurance Committee

e. Publications Committee
B. Oberdieck
f. Scholarship Committee
B. Underwood
g. Nominating Committee
Red, the Bylaws ballot postmark cutoff was July 21, 08. EC meeting was 7-26. I have a document stating AMA would hold for 3 days from 7-21 before final count.

Notice 5c above. reading mail votes into minutes. This could be some EC mail vote, the Bylaws vote, or BOTH. You have to read between the lines to get real information.

After 6a above, there is an Executive Session. ????? Is 6a something about NAA dues and fees or a member dues and fees????
Any appointment for '08 could have been initiated there.

I have no clue as to the alpha listing under 7. above but down the line one can locate the Bylaws review Comm. report and Oberdieck's Nominating Committe Report. That will include who is on what ballot.

The subject could have been covered under any of the items above.

I am currentlt in MI now on a vacation. I should be back to 'work' in TX two weeks from today.

Thanks to all that support me and Thanks to those that do opposite so as to keep the discourse moving.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:51 PM
rcuman

I have experienced this in the past with a business that I worked for. We had gotten a new boss and he had a very micro managing persona. He decided to downsize for more profits and so it was done. A lot of the staff got laid off and money was pouring in by the truckload. Then the company got too big for its britches. The employees were getting tired of the micromanagement and the extra work that they did not get paid to do. Thus resulting in employees quitting that had been there a long time. The company finally folded because of one misguided person who got just a little too greedy.

Granted the AMA probably will never fold but just think for a second of what one overbearing person can do to an organization that has a high rank. Just because the AMA is losing money in one area but making it up in others does not mean that the AMA is doing wrong necessarily. I think the MA is a good tool to get the word out about RC and the organization. One thing they may be able to do is look at how many Ma's are left over at the end of the month and reduce output accordingly. It may not get MA out of the red but it sure would help. Maybe find another manufacture to print it out cheaper. Sure the AMA is not perfect but really what company is?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:20 PM
KidEpoxy

RCUMAN

You made some good points.
What you said holds true for most of the real world,
but there is the Muncie Factor you forgot to compile in your points.

Cutting the MA staff cannot help the $1mil In $2mil Out of MA.
Not at all. Not even a little bit. MA has Free Labor, the $2mil spent on MA doesnt include the labor.... they get to use phantom labor not billed to the MA project to keep their project profitability high. There is no reason to cut the MA staff to help the horrible MA cashflow, because they conviniently dont have to account for the labor spent in $2mil Out <$1mil loss>

Your other point about some projects having to cary other projects that are in the red,
that works if your other projects actualy do cover the loss. None of the other projects do for AMA. The only thing close to this concept is project "Get $Dues From Members". STL has said he would love to see AMA make $10mil profit, but has based his concept of AMA Profit on include taking dues money from members to be Profit: 150k x $6 Dues Hike makes $1mil profit for AMA.

I too would like to see the AMA take on projects that might aide revenue, but with things like FoamCores or AMA Chili I have to wonder if they will do the same Zero Labor accounting to claim profit... heck, lets use Zero Materials accounting and the AMA Chili will "make $millions" as we go broke doing it.

RCUMAN,
would you like to see the MA labor costs put into the MA Cost figures?
Of the candidates listed in this thread, which ones will try to make that happen and which ones will choose to not rock the boat & play nice with others.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:01 PM
STLPilot

Cutting the MA staff cannot help the $1mil In $2mil Out of MA.
Thanks for reminding us that $1,000,000 divided by 150,000 = $6.66 in cost per member towards dues. Divide $6.66 into 12 months and the actual cost is .55 per magazine SHIPPED for each member.

This is by your math, thanks for the so called "blood bath" that MA costs each member in dues. Shheeeez.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:36 PM
KidEpoxy

Thanks for reminding us that $1,000,000 divided by 150,000 = $6.66 in cost per member towards dues. Divide $6.66 into 12 months and the actual cost is .55 per magazine SHIPPED for each member.
thanx for demostrating once again that MA is made by elves off the clock
not to be counted by Muncie or you tryingt o tell us how much MA is costing members.
You know full well the folks that actually did the labor onb MA are gettingt paid by AMA, paid by Dues, paid by members... and you casualy try to say the and "the actual cost is .55 per magazine SHIPPED for each member". Magazines written/edited/filled with ads by who? The free elves?

And once again you are getting $.55/mo out of a $1/year Youth dues check.
I have told you time & time again, do not take more than $1 out of a $1 dues check.
What bank lets you make a $6.60 deposit off a $1 check?

Disinformation.
You know the cost to members is higher because the members paid the folks that did the magazine work,
as stated in the post you are replying to,
you do not contest that folks paid by dues make the mag,
but you give an intentionaly incorrect number excluding all the costs you know about.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:23 AM
STLPilot

but you give an intentionaly incorrect number excluding all the costs you know about.
You and Hoss keep making this claim ... but where is your fact? Sorry I don't but it and numbers NEVER lie.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.