Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:34 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Should AMA discontinue the Senior Citizen discount

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

No, actually I am eligible for both. I don't want either of the discounts, but I would support the offering of the Veterans discount. Just so long as they did not try to make them mandantory. Now that you mention it, thanks for the dig though.

Bill, AMA 4720
It has been called to my attention that I may not actually be eligible for the Senior Discount, since I am only 63 years old. I was under the impression that the senior discount applied to those older than 62. I have looked on the AMA site, and cannot find this discount listed. Does anyone know what the age break is?

I apologize for any misstatements that I might have made in regard to this. I assure all of you that it was not intentional.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-30-2008, 06:11 AM
Muroc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,

According to the membership application (http://www.modelaircraft.org/PDF-files/902.pdf) it states "Those 65 or over by July 1, 2008 may take a $10.00 deduction in dues."

Looks like you have a couple more years.

On a side note, I also noticed that there is additional info on there now about Park flying.

Hope that helps,

Frank
Old 08-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As I said, Sorry for the misinformation. That's what it was. I don't wish to appear to be somehing that I'm not. Actually, I would like to swap actual ages with some of the younger guys here, and they can take all the discounts that they want.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 08-30-2008, 07:23 AM
Muroc1

I hear ya Bill. If I could turn back the clock to when I was about 17, yet know all the things I know now, WOW, what a difference I could have made in my life compared to what it is now. My Dad had an expression for that, "Too soon old, too late smart."

Frank
Old 11-07-2008, 01:03 PM
ltougas

Giving Seniors a discount comes from the mistaken belief thast Seniors are poor, and in need of assistance. The fact is that Seniors are the most affluent segment of our population. If the AMA wants to help people in need do it directly and set an income level that below which the dues are reduced. Right now the AMA is giving away $400K plus per year.
Old 11-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I'm not a member of the AMA, but MAAC. I have to agree, some of the current seniors are quite affluent (parents of the baby boomers). Unfortunately, I will not have the retirement income my parents have, and will probably be trying to scrape by on my Canada Pension, Old Age Security, RRSP's (if there's money after the kids and bills) and savings. Some present employers do not have a company pension plans. Hopefully after food, drugs and taxes I might have some money for model flying in 18 years time.

Jim
ORIGINAL: ltougas

Giving Seniors a discount comes from the mistaken belief thast Seniors are poor, and in need of assistance. The fact is that Seniors are the most affluent segment of our population. If the AMA wants to help people in need do it directly and set an income level that below which the dues are reduced. Right now the AMA is giving away $400K plus per year.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

I don't think it's right some of you have the retirement income to be able to fly and own numerous models while some don't. It would be good if the AMA could keep track of how many fliers there are and how many models there are and if you have over a predetermined amount they should tahe the excess and give them to those who have fewer than the predetermined amount.

Wouldn't that be an obamanation.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:39 PM
The Toolman

"Spread the Planes"

LOL
Old 11-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wouldn't that be an obamanation.
We already have that. Still a very masterful definition. [:@]
Old 11-08-2008, 07:45 AM
704hank
My Feedback: (1)

Ron
Look out you are getting to close. RC KEN may go out
and buy some more lock's![sm=wink_smile.gif]
Hank
AMA#674791
Old 11-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Rufcut

If you are a senior and feel you need the discount, take it. If you don't need the discount, don't take it. Let your conscience be your guide. Problem solved.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:00 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Well Ive been a senior for more years than I want to count and have naver taken the discount till this last renew, this time the budget was a little tight so why not

cheers Bob t
Corsair Brotherhood #5
AMA 13377
Old 11-08-2008, 06:17 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Well Ive been a senior for more years than I want to count and have naver taken the discount till this last renew, this time the budget was a little tight so why not

cheers Bob t
Corsair Brotherhood #5
AMA 13377
Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 PM
704hank

What has that got to do with what Ron said?????[sm=72_72.gif]
Hank
AMA#674791
Old 11-09-2008, 08:11 AM
Rufcut

Whoops, I used the quick reply instead of directing my reply to ltougas.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: ltougas

Giving Seniors a discount comes from the mistaken belief thast Seniors are poor, and in need of assistance.
Would you considered extending discounts just may be respect for those that have for so long supported society and country? Many businesses extend discounts for favorite customers, such as cards at grocery stores. If I go to one of the supermarkets, there is usually a posted price on items with a lesser price for card-holders. If I don't have a card, I pay the higher price. The choice is mine, either have a card or pay extra. Respect is not only for elders, it's for appreciation for past performance such as regular customer, elders, or whatever the business decides. AMA has selected "Senior Citizen' yet the AMA required age is 10 years more than a "Senior" at IHOP.

The fact is that Seniors are the most affluent segment of our population. If the AMA wants to help people in need do it directly and set an income level that below which the dues are reduced. Right now the AMA is giving away $400K plus per year.
I don't see that as giving away. I rather think they don't budget for that which they don't expect to collect.

Setting an income level is not a real thing. Which income? Who determines what is income and what is not. Taxable income or gross income? What about deferred income that may be being transferred into a Trust, etc. for later use? Far too many factors to consider.
OTOH let's just raise dues 20% and then give everyone a nice fat 20% discount. All will be happy, RIGHT!!
Kind of like women that love those 50% OFF ads in the stores. They love an item, priced at $100, 50% off, now $50. They never think about it being a regular $20 item to begin with.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: Robotech

I don't think it's right some of you have the retirement income to be able to fly and own numerous models while some don't. It would be good if the AMA could keep track of how many fliers there are and how many models there are and if you have over a predetermined amount they should tahe the excess and give them to those who have fewer than the predetermined amount.

SWEEEET!!

Who do I need to send my address to? I'll pay for the shipping.

Frank
Old 11-09-2008, 08:02 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

kinda reminds me of this halloween joke that was making the email rounds this year<G>
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55109.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	1069046  
Old 11-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: mongo

kinda reminds me of this halloween joke that was making the email rounds this year<G>

Good one Mongo!

Frank
Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 AM
KidEpoxy

Good one Mongo
Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Hossfly

Yes, Mongo, good one. It has remained longer than I thought it would. Notice the cartoon illustrated they take from the little fellow's pockets to redistribute, not their own pockets.

71 more days and they start tearing the zippers off our pockets. [:@]
Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

71 more days and they start tearing the zippers off our pockets. [:@]

Must add to the discussion

or mod agrees
Old 11-10-2008, 03:29 PM
704hank

Yes that was a good one! Oh no here comes R/C Ken,
and he has a lock in his hand!![sm=49_49.gif]
Hank
AMA#674791
Old 11-10-2008, 07:02 PM
KidEpoxy

dont look at it as Muncie giving money to the Seniors from the Opens.

If you consider it as Muncie is just not having the Seniors subsidize PPP
so their dues are less than the Opens that do have to pay for PPP to exist,
then it is far more palatable.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 PM
kid chuckles

To me the seniors not only should take the discount they earned it. The kind of thinking that would allow taking the small discount away is the kind of thinking that would do away with Social Security. Well maybe for those folks but for millions of other folks it is needed and not nearly enough. Todays minded people have only THEMSELVES at mind and what can you do for me NOW attitudes. They will suffer for it one day when there is no retirement for them anymore. Most folks 50 and under just DO NOT realise the change it will be. For me the discount is not nearly what it should be most of the seniors are the ones that built up the AMA and now it is a different age group to do so and when they get to be seniors there discount will be not only wanted but expected by the greedy ones that don't think they should pay 10.00 more than the seniors now. Heck it's only 10.00 what you squwaking about as many have said so there you go it's only 10 bucks suck it up and quit complaing about your elders. No respect that is the world we live in now and thanks to the ones that raised your young ones so fine that they would do away with a 10.00 discount for there elders this is the slap in the face you deserve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.