Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
 Yes or No.  I am an AMA Member >

Yes or No. I am an AMA Member

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes -I am an AMA member
85.98%
No -I am not an AMA member
14.02%
Voters: 535. You may not vote on this poll

Yes or No. I am an AMA Member

Old 11-05-2008, 02:29 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yes or No. I am an AMA Member

He mentioned clubs in general not AMA clubs. See quote.

It's terrific that you guys could fly from the street. I don't think I could manage that with my models. I prefer controlled ground conditions and clear airspace. Maybe the AMA could come up with a program just for guys flying small electrics in urban areas so that they could form their own clubs.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Robotech

It's terrific that you guys could fly from the street. I don't think I could manage that with my models. I prefer controlled ground conditions and clear airspace. Maybe the AMA could come up with a program just for guys flying small electrics in urban areas so that they could form their own clubs.
What does that have to do with, "Yes or No. I am an AMA Member"? The topic is not Yes or No, I am an AMA Employee, Spy, White Rat, whatever..........

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-05-2008, 09:10 PM

..............or not form clubs. That would require that AMA marketeers understand what park flying is all about, and so have a fundamental clue that could possibly lead to offering a product that would be attractive to park flyers. Will it happen? Don't bet the farm.........

Abel
Old 11-05-2008, 10:57 PM

ORIGINAL: dalolyn
why go when I have always had a landing strip and a wide open space to fly.

I dunno. Comraderie? Hanging with the boys? Learning new techniques? Seeing new models? Meeting new folks with similar interests? Fun? Other than that not much benefit to clubs.

ORIGINAL: KE
wow,
its like you listed off why I was StreetFlying with a bunch of guys in Freemont/SJ rather than street flying alone. You could even say improved safety (more eyes to spot danger). We even had some AMA & Club guys streetflying with us, cause... you know... AMA'ers are welcome to fly with us on the street (even though it is less than reciprical).
All of that is availible to non members

What are you talking about?
You tell him about how clubs are not much more than comraderie etc, and I demonstrate that you can have all the stuff you listed without any membership. You then get into him saying it was general clubs.... no duh. WHen I say no membership required to have fun that implies No AMA / No SFA/ No XYZ nor PDQ... no need for you to spin it to anything else.

The streetflyers were not a bunch of PFs, we had it all from 60glow Heli to PF to 1.20glow. Who said anything about small electris in urban areas... certainly not the guy that started this line of chat nor me.

Robo, good job.
You listed stuff and said there was not much other reason to join clubs... and the stuff you listed folks dont need to be in a club for... so you are saying there is not much reason to join clubs cause you dont get anythig you cant have without joining. Way to promote the AMA, they got nothing to offer.

If you had just let the guy say his peace without trying to counter it,
these past several posts arguing it wouldnt be here.

" I don't think I could manage that with my models."
Keep practicing, you'll get good enough some day.
45' wide street with 1000' rollout & 500' threshold vs 40'wide club under 500'
(white line between red dots is 500ft "runway"... onto dirt at club)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92161.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1066466  
Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 AM
My Feedback: (9)

Scuse the &^)*(& out of me. My KE writing comprehension goggles fogged up for a minute. I thought you were implying that all clubs were AMA. And, BTW, your picture of your "street flying" site hardly matches the name. Urban maybe, "street flying" No, I want to see you flying your stuff off of busy intersections with traffic lights and power lines. We fly less than a eighth of a mile off main street in a town of 60K.

See map. Field circled in red. Not what you pictured when I wrote that it was an eighth of a mile off Main is it.

Name:	Qo38683.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	1066480  
Old 11-06-2008, 12:07 PM

"BTW, your picture of your "street flying" site hardly matches the name."
What do you call an endless slab of asphalt with lanes, stopsigns, sidewalks, cops, and oh yeah.. cars?

"No, I want to see you flying your stuff off of busy intersections with traffic lights and power lines."
Why would anyone fly there when there are other far safer streets to fly off?

So you are now promoting unsafe flying
along with saying clubs have nothing to offer?

If you were going to pick a street to fly off,
which would you pick?
Hows about the one with the giant vacant lots in a weekend dead industrial park

Name:	Ki19385.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	1066619  
Old 11-06-2008, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have generally belonged to a club. At the moment I belong to two. Both are distant, and I seldom attend club meetings. I do receive the monthly newsletter put out by each club. I like to fly competitively, thus I belong to clubs which put on contests and include members who travel to other contests. I know most of the people in both clubs, and contribute to club contests by helping judge. Over the years I have belonged to a half dozen local clubs. All have had members who were sport fliers. Everyone got along fine. The sport fliers help organize and run contests, and their efforts were well appreciated. The competition fliers help the sport fliers get their stuff working better so they can have more fun.

Locally there is no club, just a small group of guys who get together on Sunday and fly, and sometimes go to out of town contests together.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:42 PM

Yes #444159
Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Yep, at least 30 years or more.............9524
Old 11-16-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Joined about 1959 or thereabouts, let my membership lapse from about 1970 to about 1985 to raise a family, then rejoined. Been a member ever since. And will be a member till I can no longer build or fly.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:34 PM

We topped 200 visitors to this forum. How about that! [sm=shades_smile.gif]

Frank
Old 11-28-2008, 09:23 PM

I was just #2112, 2113, and 2114 in the past 4 mins
Old 11-28-2008, 10:04 PM

It's good to know this forum is reaching out to at least that many folks -210 as of right now. That's almost double the "other" forums' numbers.

Frank
Old 11-29-2008, 01:57 AM

I'm an AMA member that's thinking about becoming a life member here in the near future. My home/club field is an AMA sanctioned field. I also fly from time to time with some friends who are diehard outlaw flyers. As long as we fly in a safe area and manner I have no issue with my non AMA member friends who fly in open fields/school yards/streets and such.

Personally I feel the AMA could do some things better however $58 a year is a small price to pay to promote our hobby. Heck I spend more than that per servo for a lot of my planes. Besides if you/your parents can't afford the $58 or what averages out to be $4.833 a month I think you need to worry about more important things than flying the "TOY" of your choice. Also one single accident were the AMA insurance comes into play could offset the cost of the membership for 20+ years. Like many people I work hard for my money so paying a very small yearly fee to not only promote the hobby but also protect myself is just a no brainer for me. I know some people prefer not to be members for any number of reasons and that’s fine it's their business but not the right decision for myself.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:15 AM

Yes, I first joined in 1999-2001. Then life got in the way until 2007. I'm back and lovin' it.

Chuck R
AMA# 588060
Member Pontiac Miniature Aircraft Club

Old 11-29-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: TxDiveBomber

I'm an AMA member that's thinking about becoming a life member here in the near future. My home/club field is an AMA sanctioned field. I also fly from time to time with some friends who are diehard outlaw flyers. As long as we fly in a safe area and manner I have no issue with my non AMA member friends who fly in open fields/school yards/streets and such.

Personally I feel the AMA could do some things better however $58 a year is a small price to pay to promote our hobby. Heck I spend more than that per servo for a lot of my planes. Besides if you/your parents can't afford the $58 or what averages out to be $4.833 a month I think you need to worry about more important things than flying the "TOY" of your choice. Also one single accident were the AMA insurance comes into play could offset the cost of the membership for 20+ years. Like many people I work hard for my money so paying a very small yearly fee to not only promote the hobby but also protect myself is just a no brainer for me. I know some people prefer not to be members for any number of reasons and that’s fine it's their business but not the right decision for myself.
At my age, an annual renewal may be a Life membership.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 11-29-2008, 06:29 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: TxDiveBomber

[/quo
I DO NOT THINK MY PLANES ARE TOYS!!!
I PUT MANY HOURS IN TO THEM OVER 45 YEARS!!!
I JUST CAN'T STAND TO HERE SOMEONE CALL THEM TOYS!
THEY ARE AIRCRAFT. THEY ARE WORKS OF ART! I AM SORRY YOU
DO NOT FEEL THE SAME WAY! THAT IS YOUR HANG UP! JUST KEEP
IT TO YOUR SELF! WHEN I HERE THAT IT JUST MAKES ME MAD![sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif]
Old 11-29-2008, 07:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

At my age, an annual renewal may be a Life membership.

Bill, AMA 4720
LOL!

Don't take any green bananas, Bill.

Abel
Old 11-29-2008, 08:17 PM

This is for RC Ken
You have removed my post that I do not think
was that bad. I have seen alot more then what
I said in my post here. I did keep it civil. I may
have used the wrong eyecons. If you don't like
them then remove them! Feel free to email me
and we can talk about it.[sm=confused.gif]
Hank
AMA#674791
Old 11-29-2008, 08:25 PM
My Feedback: (22)

N
Old 11-29-2008, 08:30 PM

What ?????
Old 02-09-2009, 06:13 PM

Checking the numbers...
Old 02-10-2009, 12:31 AM

Put me down as every other year I am a member when I attend Joe Nall it's required even to spectate. Otherwise no. I normally only join in the years I attend Joe Nall which is about every other year.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:33 AM
Banned

I'm a Member and will be for a long time.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:58 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I first joined, my number was 27816. When I rejoined after getting my son in high school, the number wasn't available, so its now 84638. I was anticipating a couple years ago buying a life membership, then the economy hit. Of course, my boss and HR say it was only a coincidence that not getting a raise for 2 years seemed to coincide with my going over 61 and having had a stroke. And we all know companies don't discriminate, right?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.