Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is it okeydokey to choose not to vote in AMA election

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Its ok to choose to not vote in AMA elections
62.50%
Its not ok to choose to not vote in AMA in AMA elections
37.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Is it okeydokey to choose not to vote in AMA election

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 PM
kid chuckles

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is it okeydokey to choose not to vote in AMA election

The reason 93% didn't vote is because 93% join because they have to. INS being the reason and only reason. And that is all they are interested in is a place to fly, and don't give a squat about the politics of the AMA. IMO.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:46 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: MikeL

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Is this a picture of yourself??

Bad hair day. I'm sure you've had them.

Yeah.....but I am pretty sure I have not had a bad "clown makeup" day.
Old 10-16-2008, 02:08 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

nvm
Old 10-16-2008, 04:10 PM
KidEpoxy

Robo-
Are we to assume that your poll addresses Open Members specifically? Are we getting setup for the PPP's don't/can't vote issue again? If so, maybe you could edit the poll choices or simply add more choices for more accurate results. I ask only because you started this poll immediatly after a long exchange on that very topic in another thread.
The poll is as the poll is.
This is a poll of guys here at RCU asking their opinion as to if doing something is right or wrong(including a shades of wrong):
Choosing not to vote in AMA elections.

If you would like to put qualifiers or subsets or define the shade of wrong in your answer, go ahead.
But please consider addressing both sides of any division you make... if you want to say something specific about Oranges then also give even slight attention to your opinion on the non-Oranges as well. It would cut down on assuming things about posts. ex: The few guys that gave the No Vote = No Gripe didnt really address how they felt about folks that dont vote but dont gripe... is that an ok thing to do for them? Dunno, we'd have to ask followup questions to get the other side of a the subset partition they made.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:18 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

Yeah.....but I am pretty sure I have not had a bad "clown makeup" day.
They're all good clown makeup days for you?

I swear, some of you people that frequent this AMA forum wouldn't know how to have fun or be civil if your lives depended on it. Thank goodness they don't, eh? Perhaps this is why so few people take an active role in the AMA. Food for thought, I suppose.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:20 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy
This is a poll of guys here at RCU asking their opinion as to if doing something is right or wrong(including a shades of wrong):
Attempting to assign a moral value to participating in AMA elections is absurd. Some of you seem to equate it with voting at the civic level, which is equally absurd.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:37 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: kid chuckles

The reason 93% didn't vote is because 93% join because they have to. INS being the reason and only reason. And that is all they are interested in is a place to fly, and don't give a squat about the politics of the AMA. IMO.
Bingo, Bango.

When I got into this hobby I went into the LHS and asked what I needed to get startedin the hobby and local club.

Trainer, field box, glo igniter, chicken stick, xmitter, receiver, field battery, starter, and AMA. "Huh, what's AMA"? "Academy of Model Aeronautics, they give you insurance and a monthly magazine." "Cool. Wrap it up."
Old 10-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Robotech

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Alright then. I was just trying to avoid a disagreement over differing premises.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:28 AM
STLPilot

ORIGINAL: Robotech

ORIGINAL: kid chuckles

Bingo, Bango.

When I got into this hobby I went into the LHS and asked what I needed to get startedin the hobby and local club.

Trainer, field box, glo igniter, chicken stick, xmitter, receiver, field battery, starter, and AMA. "Huh, what's AMA"? "Academy of Model Aeronautics, they give you insurance and a monthly magazine." "Cool. Wrap it up."
Right and this is why these guys are worth more to the AMA than those that want to be political. Their $58 is just as green as those who take the time to send in a ballot. In regards to David Agar, who says they shouldn't complain if they didn't vote, bullcrap, they paid their right to speak their mind. This organization is not free. In America if your born here you're American. In the AMA, you are only a member with payment. Voice is heard and right to complain, vote or no vote. Membership has it's privys. This is what KE and that guy in Florida can't figure out. PPP's can still use the email, phone and any other process to contact their VP or AMA representative, whom are serving them.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:39 AM
STLPilot

nvm
Old 10-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Liberator

[/quote]Attempting to assign a moral value to participating in AMA elections is absurd. Some of you seem to equate it with voting at the civic level, which is equally absurd.
[/quote]
Sorry that confused me. Are you saying that assigning a moral value to voting at the civic level is absurd?
This is still a hobby that we do where we play with toy airplanes. Vote or don't vote, just don't spout off you don't like the way things are done.

As far as voting for your next President of the United States...I think its reprehensible if you don't vote. It's still your choice, free country and all, but I think that people that don't vote lack moral fiber.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:45 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

STL, for the record, I am a veteran who served proudly and was honorably discharged, after having done my part to defend the rights of people like you, who want to tell me that my thoughts are all wrong. What does my being a veteran have to do with what I said and why would you bring the subject up about my being a vet? Instead of making accusations, if you had asked me I would have told you. To this day I am an active supporter of Veterans rights as well as work hard to support the MIA groups that work very hard to bring home all the men and women of all wars. My service to my country has no bearing on what I said at all, however I am proud to have served. Your accusation that people who pull a trigger or vote do not have any more say that the next guy us absord. If you do not vote, how is your voice heard in the first place. You want to be a Johnny come lately with, I did not vote for any one, however I think this candidate is wrong and that is why we are all screwed up. As for pulling a trigger, all of our veterans are special people and need to be respected for what they have done to protect our country, which includes our right to vote, weather you think so or not. Am I any better than any one else, no I am not, but I do carry a pride with me that only my fellow Veteran's can carry, so that does make me special in my mind. If you are not willing to be pro active from the start and vote, then you do not have the right to *****. The fact that Hoss disagrees with me has no bearing on what I said as well. Hoss is a better man than you on the issue as he is not making any accusations as to why I said what I said, he is explaining why he disagrees with me, without casting any stones on the water that cannot be brought back. As I said, if you don't vote, don't *****. If you want your voice heard, you register to vote, or in your case pay your dues as a full fledged AMA member, study what the candidates have to say, try and determine which candidate is the best for the job and vote. Voting is an American right, one that is being protected by every man and women that is or has ever served in the military. Being as you are close, go to Washington and look at the memorials, those people gave their lives so that you can vote. In closing, don't you ever doubt my love for this Country that I live in, nor question my Veterans status, as neither of those thoughts are up for discussion here in the AMA forum by you. I have already voted for the candidate of my choice in the AMA election and when the ballots have been counted, life will move on. If who I voted for wins, then I will have what I think is my voice at the AMA, as this person best represents what I am thinking and the direction that the AMA needs to go. It is as simply as that. If the person that I voted for looses then I have the right to contact the winner and let my thoughts be heard. If I had not voted, I had no say to begin with, so I should have no say after the fact. If I am a non voting member of the AMA, that is my choice and if I want a voice in the AMA, I have the right to upgrade my membership to full fledged AMA membership and then I can vote for the candidate of my choice. It is that easy.

Disclaimer: What I have written here are my thoughts and in no manner shape or form reflect the views of RCU.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:16 AM
warningshot

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

STL, for the record, I am a veteran who served proudly and was honorably discharged, after having done my part to defend the rights of people like you, who want to tell me that my thoughts are all wrong. What does my being a veteran have to do with what I said and why would you bring the subject up about my being a vet? Instead of making accusations, if you had asked me I would have told you. To this day I am an active supporter of Veterans rights as well as work hard to support the MIA groups that work very hard to bring home all the men and women of all wars. My service to my country has no bearing on what I said at all, however I am proud to have served. Your accusation that people who pull a trigger or vote do not have any more say that the next guy us absord. If you do not vote, how is your voice heard in the first place. You want to be a Johnny come lately with, I did not vote for any one, however I think this candidate is wrong and that is why we are all screwed up. As for pulling a trigger, all of our veterans are special people and need to be respected for what they have done to protect our country, which includes our right to vote, weather you think so or not. Am I any better than any one else, no I am not, but I do carry a pride with me that only my fellow Veteran's can carry, so that does make me special in my mind. If you are not willing to be pro active from the start and vote, then you do not have the right to *****. The fact that Hoss disagrees with me has no bearing on what I said as well. Hoss is a better man than you on the issue as he is not making any accusations as to why I said what I said, he is explaining why he disagrees with me, without casting any stones on the water that cannot be brought back. As I said, if you don't vote, don't *****. If you want your voice heard, you register to vote, or in your case pay your dues as a full fledged AMA member, study what the candidates have to say, try and determine which candidate is the best for the job and vote. Voting is an American right, one that is being protected by every man and women that is or has ever served in the military. Being as you are close, go to Washington and look at the memorials, those people gave their lives so that you can vote. In closing, don't you ever doubt my love for this Country that I live in, nor question my Veterans status, as neither of those thoughts are up for discussion here in the AMA forum by you. I have already voted for the candidate of my choice in the AMA election and when the ballots have been counted, life will move on. If who I voted for wins, then I will have what I think is my voice at the AMA, as this person best represents what I am thinking and the direction that the AMA needs to go. It is as simply as that. If the person that I voted for looses then I have the right to contact the winner and let my thoughts be heard. If I had not voted, I had no say to begin with, so I should have no say after the fact. If I am a non voting member of the AMA, that is my choice and if I want a voice in the AMA, I have the right to upgrade my membership to full fledged AMA membership and then I can vote for the candidate of my choice. It is that easy.

Disclaimer: What I have written here are my thoughts and in no manner shape or form reflect the views of RCU.
Well said. After 41 years of service I think I have earned the RIGHT to vote or not to vote.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:47 AM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: warningshot
Well said. After 41 years of service I think I have earned the RIGHT to vote or not to vote.
Well, because of folks like you, David and hundreds of thousands of other veterans, voting or not voting isn't something that any of us have to earn. The constitution gives us that right (to exercise it or not exercise it as we see fit) and veterans such as yourself have protected that right for us.

All of you have my sincere and profound thanks.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:03 PM
STLPilot2
Banned

Terrific ... you served, welcome to the club. I'm just a tad surprised.

If you do not vote, how is your voice heard in the first place.
The constitution doesn't even give people the right to elect a President, that is given to us by the States. The first amendment gives the person a right to voice their opinion granted to us by not that only serve, but those that help support by going to work everyday and are citizens, unconditionally until that person chooses no longer to have a voice.

You mean to tell me that I need to vote for someone that I may or may not like to have a voice? And what happens after that person that I really do not like or whose politics I can't stand wins ... what then? I lost my first amendment right? What if I as an American am just not political, although I'm a taxpaying member, I can't voice? You don't think I know how to raise a stink? Blog ... press ... protest ... rant on RCU ... start a rally? You think people who don't vote can't accomplish these things and be successful, gravely mistaken my friend.

Could I name you thousands of people names whom have had voices in US History ... and could you prove these people that made a change took the time to vote? Silly. Do you think for a second that all US military currently serving vote too? Come one David don't be that naive.

People get to make choices and tho you've stated your opinion, it's really nobody's business but their own whether they want to vote and/or voice their opinions if they didn't.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:21 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: STLPilot2

Why is that?

If you do not vote, how is your voice heard in the first place.
The constitution doesn't even give people the right to elect a President, that is given to us by the States. The first amendment gives the person a right to voice their opinion granted to us by not that only serve, but those that help support by going to work everyday and are citizens, unconditionally until that person chooses no longer to have a voice.
[/quote]

How does getting up and going to work in the morning help preserve your's or anyone else's right to vote?

People get to make choices and tho you've stated your opinion, it's really nobody's business but their own whether they want to vote and/or voice their opinions if they didn't.
The nice thing about living here in the US is that we have the right to voice our opinions about something which may or may not be of our own business.

And of course the whole premise of this thread is whether it's OK for a voting member of the AMA to just decide not to vote. Of course it's solely to the discretion of the member whether he/she chooses to vote or not, but that's not the question the OP asked, is it?
Old 10-17-2008, 12:28 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

My 2 cents worth, and I will echo what others have said; it's your choice to vote or not to vote; no one is forcing you, and your membership won't be revoked; but if you chose not to vote, the only complaint I want to hear is that you should have voted and didn't.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:29 PM
rcmiket

Sir , with all due respect. Don't you have anything better to do than post in a forum about the AMA and your not even a member(last time I looked)? Why do you even care? I've read your BS for years. Just what do you want? Please clue me in. If you can't stand the AMA the way it is then JOIN and run for office. I'm not happy with the organization but at least I'm a member and vote. Sorry guys if I got this off topic but this guy is something else. Mike Taylor AMA 701133
Old 10-17-2008, 12:36 PM
STLPilot2
Banned

ORIGINAL: Bob Mitchell

Why is that?
Because I'm surprised that someone who served thinks that people need to vote to have an opinion. It's no different than saying that anyone that doesn't vote loses their first amendment right as a citizen. A US soldier serves for peoples rights, not their opinions and political standards.

How does getting up and going to work in the morning help preserve your's or anyone else's right to vote?
Because I did serve for a few years in the USMC. I've also served in the USA work force for 22. Keeping the production going in this country by each and everyone that wakes up in the morning to goto work contributes just as much to this country as those that look to fight. People that join the military make the choice, it's not something they are foced to do and it's a job, a job that sometimes get you killed. But would you like me to post a number of people that have been killed in the US workforce as long as we've been in Iraq. Police officer is a job, fireman, deep sea fisher ... school teacher and yes even those eveil stock brokers. All productive components of this country and ALL afforded equal rights to voice their opinion.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Liberator

I'm just wondering whats up with STLpilot 2 as far as new account? Did you get banned? Is this really the Easytiger of old? no one has ever answered that...
I now return you to the original topic of the thread....Vote and complain all you want, refuse to vote and be mute...those are your choices.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Bob Mitchell

Because I'm surprised that someone who served thinks that people need to vote to have an opinion.
Your comment didn't read that way to me, but oh well.

It's no different than saying that anyone that doesn't vote loses their first amendment right as a citizen. A US soldier serves for peoples rights, not their opinions and political standards.
No one said that, though, did they?

Keeping the production going in this country by each and everyone that wakes up in the morning to goto work contributes just as much to this country as those that look to fight.
That's a stretch, but as you say....you are welcome to your opinion.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Robotech

And of course the whole premise of this thread is whether it's OK for a voting member of the AMA to just decide not to vote. Of course it's solely to the discretion of the member whether he/she chooses to vote or not, but that's not the question the OP asked, is it?
Bold emphasis added.

This was not specified by the OP. I believe the omission of that verbiage was intentional.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:16 PM
Robotech

ORIGINAL: Liberator

I'm just wondering whats up with STLpilot 2 as far as new account? Did you get banned? Is this really the Easytiger of old? no one has ever answered that...
I now return you to the original topic of the thread....Vote and complain all you want, refuse to vote and be mute...those are your choices.
There may have been a problem with his old account. In many cases he would be listed as the last post in a thread but there would be no post visible.

I guess he might have been on double secret probation though. A lot of times it would say "pending approval."

Vote and be happy with what you get.
Vote and raise he11.
Don't vote and be happy.
Don't vote and raise he11.

The only difference is that if you have the opportunity to vote and don't your opinion will not carry the same weight with most of those who did vote.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Robotech

This was not specified by the OP. I believe the omission of that verbiage was intentional.
I caught that.

In my original reply I said that IMO it was OK to join as either a voting or non-voting member, but also IMO not OK to join as open and not vote or join as PPP and complain that you can't.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:04 PM
Blue_Sky

I voted for "Its ok to choose to not vote in AMA elections"

People live with their personal decisions, including voter apathy, based on morals, ethics and personal beliefs. People are free to make their decisions, just as I'm free to criticize and judge their decisions.

That may sound middle of the road. As a proud US Army veteran with an Honorable Discharge, I would not encourage anyone to avoid the military and I would not encourage anyone to serve. Serving or not serving, the decision to lay your life on the line, is a personal decision. In other words, even though I personally believe those that fled to Canada during Viet Nam are cowards, they were free to make a personal decision, just as I'm free to label them a coward. And I'm free to change my mind as well.

We live in a country in which we exercise extraordinary personal freedoms, and we live our lives based on the consequences of our actions. It can't any easier than that. We all lie in the beds we make - condemnation of other people is only a very small fraction of what people bring upon themselves. So the next time you're about to come down really hard on someone, realize that it's likely the person you're about to come down on is miserable anyway. Like I said, we all make our own beds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.