Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Helping To Promote The Hobby In 2009?

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Muroc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helping To Promote The Hobby In 2009?

Oops, forgot to ask. How is that helping to promote the hobby? Can it be counterproductive?

And I'm sorry to hear about you losing your flying site.

Frank
Old 03-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Live Wire

As you can probably tell I am not to happy , but hell I am only an old fart with nothing to say.
I can not remember how long I have been a member of AMA. Have seen the good and the bad but I think the good out does the bad and that is a great way to have it. I would like to see more people flying, but till things CHANGE I don't see many younger people in this hobby.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: Muroc1

I try to talk about our hobby to everyone I engage in conversation. You would be surprised in how many people would say "I used to build model airplanes."

That's all it takes to start talking RC.

Two new guys approached me about joining our club since my first post.

Frank

Frank, if you told me the sun was out at high noon on a clear day, I still wouldn't believe what you say here.

Ron
Old 03-24-2009, 08:42 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Ron, since my last post 2 guys came up to me, gave me all their RC gear and said, "I *@#K'N QUIT [>:]"!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Hey Ron, since my last post 2 guys came up to me, gave me all their RC gear and said, "I *@#K'N QUIT [>:]"!!!

I'd come more near believing you....

Ron
Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

quote:

Hey Ron, since my last post 2 guys came up to me, gave me all their RC gear and said, "I *@#K'N QUIT "!!!

I'd come more near believing you....

Ron
Watch for a garage sale soon[sm=bananahead.gif]

I supported a local aviation day at the Moose lodge and spent an afternoon with three classes of kindergarteners launching rockets, flying little airplanes, and letting teachers drive an RC car while they were studying transportation. I agreed to support my club by writing the newsletter and helping on field days and even volunteered to be an instructor pilot. Yeah I also CD all the club events too.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:26 PM
combatpigg

Long ago, way before I was ever into these toy planes I worked for a Chief Warrant Officer who was a great guy, but all he wanted to talk about was his religion and also his model planes. He just had that "proselytizing streak" in him that compelled him to recruit others to share his joy. What a very sharp and likeable man he was and a great US Army officer.
Now I wish I could look him up and talk planes with him. I'm sure he contributed to my interest in this sport, but with a delayed effect.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:33 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About the best you can do is just make sure folks know where your field is at if they ever get the bug to wanna fly. It also helps to have nice friendly and helpful folks around when company comes. I have learned that you can't force folks to take an interest, but for those who might have an interest....well they need to know there is a place nearby that they can go for help. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink is applicable to our hobby as well.

You can send a few magazines to the library, ask the scouts and other organizations out during the year and hope you light a spark, but to try to push it upon someone is not going to bare much fruit. I truly believe each flyer that last beyond the first crash and continues to fly with more determination than before all share the same certain gene. Problem is there is no way of telling who carries that gene and who does not. So I would say having an open gate to the community at your airfield is probably the best thing you can do to promote the hobby, and if someone that comes see's something they like, then perhaps they might join you.

I help train a few new people throughout the year, and I have found it best to kinda let them find there own interest in the hobby. I like to build my own planes, but the sure fire way to run someone off is to tell them that all there future planes should be scratch built or kit built, or that all future planes should be pattern type planes running glow engines and never electric. I try not to push my own interest and try hard to support the new guy in whatever aspect of the hobby he or she wants to partake in regardless if its an ARF or Kit or Gas or Electric, or even rubber power or free flight as far as that goes. Whats fun for me might not be fun for you and vice versa. Just try to be friendly and helpful.

Moderator:
My earlier comment in this thread was something I responded to with a big smile while enjoying this thread. I will try to enjoy myself a little less while I am here on RCU next time. I am suprised I have made it over 2000 post without gettting banned. I got banned after my thrird post on the Traxxas website when I made the awful and unforgiveable comment about the gears in my Traxxas truck being a bit weak. Please don't let RCU go down that over moderated road! In 6 years on RCU thats the first time I have seen a mod threaten to shut a thread down over such light and actually quite friendly comments.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:10 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In 6 years on RCU thats the first time I have seen a mod threaten to shut a thread down over such light and actually quite friendly comments.
You must not visit the ama forum much.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: vicman

In 6 years on RCU thats the first time I have seen a mod threaten to shut a thread down over such light and actually quite friendly comments.
You must not visit the ama forum much.
Back when I used to frequent this forum we used to be able to throw chairs around the room and talk bad about each others mama's! Now I make some cute comment about my ole ball and chain and it's "Lets shut er down! Things are way off course and out of control!" Ban the kangaroo guy!!!! Off with his head!!!!!
You honestly wanna know something to promote the hobby? Ask someone to come visit the old AMA forum here on RCU. You couldn't buy good entertainment like that, and I figured it was part of my $58 yearly fee to AMA to be able to come in here an rant and throw chairs around the room. Them was truly the good ole days! It used to be you had to be beating up another RCU members mother plus his sister before you would see a mod! Now its getting all civil like! I guess I never was worth a hoot at coloring between the lines and always did tend to wander...................... In keeping with the subject...the old AMA forum was a much better promotion tool for the hobby, and I always figured that probably 95% of the people who came to visit this forum didn't even fly a Plane more than once or twice a year, but still considered themselves part of the hobby thanks to the old AMA forum and the entertainment it always provided. Now it seems it is only a legend!
Old 03-24-2009, 11:08 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

I don't see many younger people in this hobby.
I would have to agree with that to some extent. When I was a kid...everybody on the block would come rushing to the ball diamond to watch my Cox PT-19 control line. Now I doubt it would attract much attention at all. Kids have to much other forms of entertainment today. Kids today would think we were silly running around the yard playing war with sticks. A nice stick made a good rifle, bow and arrow, bat, etc. etc. We found very simple things to entertain ourselves....so to own an airplane that actually flew....well that was just something entirely to cool for words. Even free flight and rubber powered Planes built from old comet kits were really awesome marvels. So while my small fleet of RC Planes are still to cool for words...I have had kids look at them and just kinda shrug there shoulders and say "Those are sorta neat, but I have a new XBOX or Nintendo" Of course there is always an exception, and we will still get the occasional kid, but I think you are correct in saying that not as many kids will take interest as those kids from my time in the 70's and 80's. (I'm 40)
Old 03-25-2009, 03:05 AM
Muroc1

As you can probably tell I am not to happy , but hell I am only an old fart with nothing to say.
I can not remember how long I have been a member of AMA. Have seen the good and the bad but I think the good out does the bad and that is a great way to have it. I would like to see more people flying, but till things CHANGE I don't see many younger people in this hobby.

That is a shame, that's for sure, real sorry to hear about your field. But you are right, the good definitely outweighs the bad.

Frank
Old 03-25-2009, 06:39 AM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

Well, I usually show up at a Local Ultralight Airshow 4 times a year. People always asks me questions about the hobby... mostly about prices of planes, how much is it to get started, how long have I been flying etc.

I try to target children the most do to the fact I remember how excited I was when I saw my first R/C airplane when I was 7 years old back in the 70's. It plants the seed, like it did me.

My Club stays out of the Lime Light from what I've seen... we are a small club, so I try to promote on my own.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

I don't see many younger people in this hobby.
I would have to agree with that to some extent. When I was a kid...everybody on the block would come rushing to the ball diamond to watch my Cox PT-19 control line. Now I doubt it would attract much attention at all. Kids have to much other forms of entertainment today. Kids today would think we were silly running around the yard playing war with sticks. A nice stick made a good rifle, bow and arrow, bat, etc. etc. We found very simple things to entertain ourselves....so to own an airplane that actually flew....well that was just something entirely to cool for words. Even free flight and rubber powered Planes built from old comet kits were really awesome marvels. So while my small fleet of RC Planes are still to cool for words...I have had kids look at them and just kinda shrug there shoulders and say "Those are sorta neat, but I have a new XBOX or Nintendo" Of course there is always an exception, and we will still get the occasional kid, but I think you are correct in saying that not as many kids will take interest as those kids from my time in the 70's and 80's. (I'm 40)
For me Younger people are your age and I have seen some of these game that the kids and some adults play, They are some thing else.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:50 AM
KidEpoxy

They pay hundreds of dollars on a Wii Fit game
so they can play the Virtual Jogging In The Park game.

We as a people have turned running around the park into an indoor activity.
(completely unrelated news : more & more folks are overweight or obese these days)

You know what is just like that Virtual Jogging Thru The Park?
Actual jogging thru the park.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:19 AM
combatpigg

KE, I get a kick out of the people who spend hundreds at a gym.......then spend hundreds to have their cars detailed, yard work done, house cleaned, pool maintained, fed with pre prepared fast food, etc.

Then they still claim they don't have any time for building planes,
To reach out to these people, the hobby has to be promoted as a completely "turn key deal", where all they have to do is pay with credit, open a box, then plug in another wallwart charger.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:31 PM
Live Wire

KE, I get a kick out of the people who spend hundreds at a gym.......then spend hundreds to have their cars detailed, yard work done, house cleaned, pool maintained, fed with pre prepared fast food, etc.

To reach out to these people, the hobby has to be promoted as a completely "turn key deal", where all they have to do is pay with credit, open a box, then plug in another wallwart charger.
Great responce,
Old 03-25-2009, 03:54 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Oops, forgot to ask. How is that helping to promote the hobby? Can it be counterproductive?

Frank
Actually it could be a good thing for the hobby and maybe the club as well. If they (the club) are able to acquire and maintain a flying site without AMA, it then would allow non-AMA enthusiasts as well as AMA members to use the facilityand to also be club members.

One of the best clubs and flying sites here is not AMA...it is a great place to fly and a great club to be a part of.

Believe it or not AMA is not always the right tool. In some cases it can have negative results. When AMA clubs attempt to monopolize public flying sites it easy to understand the negative effects.

Conversely, if that is the only way to gain access, then it is a positive. It really matters specifically how the tool is used.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

You got that right. How about those that spend more driving to a well maintained AMA chartered field in week or two to fly their $1000 model, than a years AMA membership will cost them and compain about the $58 membership dues ?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:22 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

You got that right. How about those that spend more driving to a well maintained AMA chartered field in week or two to fly their $1000 model, than a years AMA membership will cost them and compain about the $58 membership dues ?

Never heard from anyone fitting that example. Actually have heard little about the expense of AMA at all... more about the perceived need of being forced than anything else...not the dollar amount unless they fly inexpensive models…but that is easy to understand.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Red Scholefield

Never heard from anyone fitting that example. Actually have heard little about the expense of AMA at all... more about the perceived need of being forced than anything else...not the dollar amount unless they fly inexpensive models…but that is easy to understand.
Do you think that if AMA was FREE people would perceive as being forced to join in order to fly at an AMA chartered field?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:28 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The thread is starting to slide off topic here. The thread isn't here to discuss if the AMA dues are too high. Let's get back discussin the topic, which is "Helping To Promote The Hobby In 2009".

Ken
Old 03-25-2009, 06:23 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Frank
Actually it could be a good thing for the hobby and maybe the club as well. If they (the club) are able to acquire and maintain a flying site without AMA, it then would allow non-AMA enthusiasts as well as AMA members to use the facilityand to also be club members.

One of the best clubs and flying sites here is not AMA...it is a great place to fly and a great club to be a part of.

Believe it or not AMA is not always the right tool. In some cases it can have negative results. When AMA clubs attempt to monopolize public flying sites it easy to understand the negative effects.

Conversely, if that is the only way to gain access, then it is a positive. It really matters specifically how the tool is used.

That's a good point. I never thought about it that way.

Frank
Old 03-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Muroc1

Our club dues are only $35 per year which includes manicured grass all year round which allows even the smallest electric to fly from it. Shoot, we even have guys practice their putting skills on it when we are not around. I do think that helps with bringing in new folks.

Frank
Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Muroc1

Hooray for our club! I just got another email today from someone wanting to re-join our club again. I guess the economy isn't slowing down the RC business as much as I thought it would.

Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.