Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

City or County R/C Parks

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

City or County R/C Parks

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 07:55 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default City or County R/C Parks

I need a little help here.I know that there's city and county maintained flying fields outthere because I've visiteda few.Here in El Paso there's city ordinances against flying R/C Aircraft in our parks.I have the ordinance and its spelled out clear as day. That'show this started.I recently got a hold of a guy in the Parks and Rec. who's willing to sit down with us to discuss the possibility of a actual flying site/park for our use. To make a long story shortI'm lookingtocompile a list of city/county parks ifthere's a website that would help.I'm looking for help in selling this idea to the city. I will ask one thing please don't turn this into circus ( you know what I mean).I already have the AMApamphlets and talking points. Thanks Mike
Old 05-29-2009, 08:10 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: City or County R/C Parks

http://tuffclub.net/
Old 05-29-2009, 08:16 AM
rcmiket

Nice, The website says "Park" but the also mentions thanks to theowner of the property. Is this a actual citypark. Thanks Mike
Old 05-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Silent-AV8R

Not a comprehensive national list, but in the LA area there are three flyhing sites located in City and/or County parks.

Sepulveda Basin/Apollo Field - Los Angeles City Recreation and Parks Department
Whittier Narrows - Los Angeles County Parks and Recreation
Pomona Valley Model Airplane Club (PVMAC) - San Bernardino County Parks Department
Toerrey Pines (San DIego) - City and County of San Diego

In Arizona the Sun Valley Fliers field is in a City of Phoenix Park

In Las Vegas both their fields are in City Parks, one in the City of North Las Vegas the other in the City of Las Vegas (Famous Bennett Field)

You might also contact the AMA to see if they have a list broken down along those lines.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:51 AM
littlecrankshaf

Our primary flying site is in the Northside Park.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Rufcut

Very nice flying field courtesy of the City of Farmington, New Mexico. http://www.sjrcclub.org/
Old 05-29-2009, 09:38 AM
rcmiket

Thanks this is what I'm looking for. A city this size has a problem recognizing just what impact a nice site would do. Our weather allows 365 days a year of flying the right sitecould host several big events a year thus having a economic impact on the community. Thanks again.
Mike
Old 05-29-2009, 09:50 AM
littlecrankshaf

Mike

I hope you noticed that his flying site is open to non-AMA.

Seems to be a truly great flying site.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

Thanks this is what I'm looking for. A city this size has a problem recognizing just what impact a nice site would do. Our weather allows 365 days a year of flying the right sitecould host several big events a year thus having a economic impact on the community. Thanks again.
Mike
You can make the point that if you host events you will attract people from all over the US. The Sepulveda Basin site in LA does several national events each year from jete, to helicopters, etc. Each attract a 100 or so folks and a great deal of attention to the site and the host City.

And of course, the Torrey Pines soaring site is internationally reknown as one of the premier soaring locations anywhere!!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:29 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

www.firelandsfloatflyers.com  We fly at the New London Reservoir Park and Campground
Old 05-29-2009, 09:02 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

wichata falls tx(possible spelling errors here) has what your are looking for as an example to present to the city folks. public flying site on city/county fairgrounds land. open to all without proof of ama or other insurance.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:27 PM
abel_pranger

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

<snip>

And of course, the Torrey Pines soaring site is internationally reknown as one of the premier soaring locations anywhere!!
And you don't have to be bothered with the hoi polloi AMA members that used to fly there. It is now members only, AMA membership and club membership required. I haven't flown there for more than a decade, but Silent-AV8R made a big ado out of reminding me of that sad loss of a fine public (sort of, AMA was required, along with six bits per visit to defray cost of coinsurance for the city) soaring site.

Abel
Old 05-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Silent-AV8R

A post which contributes nothing to the conversation but does allow you to both bash the current structure to fly there and me. Nice.

Again, you have not flown there for a decade and yet you are the one who is unhappy about the place. Nobody else who actually flies there shares your opinon, but hey, why let that stop a good rant.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:22 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It appears that we are not going to behave on this one, so it is closed. Thanks Dave

RCMike has asked me to reopen this thread as the information that he was recieving is what he needs for his use. I have removed some of the snide remarks and will leave it open, however if there is another hink of flaming, it will be locked again. Please stick to the subject matter. Thanks Dave
Old 05-30-2009, 08:20 PM
rcmiket

Thanks. Mike
Old 05-30-2009, 09:04 PM
Silent-AV8R

Contact Wes DeCou. He is the AMA Flying Site guy for the western US. I sent his contact info to you in a PM. He should be able to give you some help.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:37 PM
rcmiket

Thanks he's on my list of contacts. Mike
Old 05-30-2009, 10:28 PM
Phil Cole

SCCMAS fly in a Santa Clara County park.   www.sccmas.org
Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rcmiket

I need a little help here.I know that there's city and county maintained flying fields outthere because I've visiteda few.Here in El Paso there's city ordinances against flying R/C Aircraft in our parks.I have the ordinance and its spelled out clear as day. That'show this started.I recently got a hold of a guy in the Parks and Rec. who's willing to sit down with us to discuss the possibility of a actual flying site/park for our use. To make a long story shortI'm lookingtocompile a list of city/county parks ifthere's a website that would help.I'm looking for help in selling this idea to the city. I will ask one thing please don't turn this into circus ( you know what I mean).I already have the AMApamphlets and talking points. Thanks Mike

http://www.bcflyers.com/ Harris County Parks flying site for Bayou City Flyers.

Name Role Email Telephone Telephone
2 A.) Mark Davis President
bc[email protected] B.) Steve Baggett (Neon) Vice President [email protected] 979-793-5215 C.) Boydie Fereday Secretary [email protected] 713-468-7078 D.) Mike Barr Treasurer [email protected] 713-729-9530 E.) Corey Johnson Newletter Editor [email protected] 281-782-4885

Check AMA District VIII Web site and email clubs for their sites if county/city. Maybe establish a significant data base of TX and its bordering states all D-VIII.
Good luck!

Harris Co. has another site on south side. I am not familiar with the operation there. In addition the Sport Flyers also operate on Harris Co. property under (IMO) a rather liberal lease agreement. That is good.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:12 PM
Vettdriver

The flying field here in Abilene is a city park and city maintained.
400ft. concrete runway.

I beleive that the field we flew at during the Austin Jet Rally is a county park.
500ft ? asphalt runway.

Ivan
Old 05-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Vettdriver

The flying field here in Abilene is a city park and city maintained.
400ft. concrete runway.

I beleive that the field we flew at during the Austin Jet Rally is a county park.
500ft ? asphalt runway.

Ivan
Many years back I went to a few events at Abilene and the city did a nice job with the field.

If someone fromAMA HQis reading, a comprehensive and longlist of successful city and county owned R/C fields might be a wonderfully compelling document to have on hand to support other clubs seeking the same thing.

And it should mention the waymodel event****w of out of towners and out of town moneyto these sites...

Old 05-31-2009, 07:04 PM
RV7guy

In AZ there are many. Bill mentioned a couple of them. Here are a few more.

1) Sun Valley Flyers- City of Phoenix- Located in Reach 11 Flood control project
2) Arizona Model Pilots Society- City of Phoenix- Located in Reach 11 Flood control project
3) Arizona Model Aviators- City of Mesa- located in Flood control project
4) City of Chandler- Thude park- Electric and sailplane only (AMA required)
5) Cholla Choppers- Silverbell park- Tucson AZ- Control line facility
6) TIMPA- Tucson International Modelplex- Tucson AZ

I'm missing a few, but we have many. I had a couple of Barley Pops with Wes De Cou the other night. He said he is working on several projects now with various clubs. Wes is extremely knowledgeable when dealing with governmental agencies. He is an excellent speaker as well.

Look for any capped landfills in your area. They are often approachable for use. You've got to get creative and be prepared.

Good luck.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler, AZ
Old 05-31-2009, 09:39 PM
goliathman
My Feedback: (3)

Mecklinberg county NC. Waymer flying field. Owened and maintained by the county. AMA required, so far. www.flyingacesrc.com
Gaston county flyers RC field Gastonia NC. Owened and maintained by Gaston county. AMA required Tue,thur,sat,sun. http://www.gastonrcflyers.org/
Old 06-01-2009, 07:21 AM
rcmiket

Thanks guys this reallyhelps. Mike
Old 06-01-2009, 08:39 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Here are a few more

Buder Park in St. Louis is a county managed flying site (property originally donated by Mr. Buder)

There is apublic flying site in Salt Lake City (I don't recall if it is city, county, or state run).

The Omahawks club in Omaha Nebraska have been using public land for many many many years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.