Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Would you pay $78.00 a year for AMA if they offered PRIMARY insurance?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
YES!!!
55.03%
no.
43.62%
no, but I would join AMA and buy USAMA
1.34%
Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Would you pay $78.00 a year for AMA if they offered PRIMARY insurance?

Old 09-30-2009, 11:15 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Would you pay $78.00 a year for AMA if they offered PRIMARY insurance?

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Score one for Littleshaft

What amazes me is how all the devout AMAers are overlooking the benefit of this other company if indeed proven viable.

If AMA members were to take the primary insurance offering from this company it would decrease the payouts by AMA thereby helping AMA. AMA could then focus more on the promotion of the hobby. Maybe even decrease dues…

Another big advantage is less exposure to your current primary insurances like your home owners. Would you really want to claim a model accident on your home owner’s policy?

Guys, you are so defensive of AMA you are missing the point.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:21 PM
KidEpoxy

Default RE: Would you pay $78.00 a year for AMA if they offered PRIMARY insurance?

Sure LCS,
Since AMA is Self Insuring the first couple hundred $k or claim,
makes sense to get $20 outside Primary to protect AMA from having to pay anything for claims under $1mil.

But like I said earlier here,
The $78 AMA could very well be just standard $58 AMA ($10 Weschester) with Muncie buying a Primary policy ($20 USAmA) for each guy.
$78 AMA is $10Weschester & $20USAmA paid by Muncie for AMA member insurance
Old 09-30-2009, 11:25 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

Sure LCS,
Since AMA is Self Insuring the first couple hundred $k or claim,
makes sense to get $20 outside Primary to protect AMA from having to pay anything for claims under $1mil.

But like I said earlier here,
The $78 AMA could very well be just standard $58 AMA ($10 Weschester) with Muncie buying a Primary policy ($20 USAmA) for each guy.
Sure...maybe AMA might even require each member to buy USAMA.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:33 PM
KidEpoxy

That would make Ilona's job a little easier too.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:04 AM
Luftwaffe Oberst
Banned

I'll keep it simple. Yes I would pay $78.00.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:53 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bingo! K3- I USED to belong to LRC* in Lou., Ky and the 'guys in control' there are very shortsighted as to how a club should be run. The number of flyers that exited that club due to the last bout of 'crap' is staggering. Two other clubs have been spun off from there due to this same crap happening in the past. Those guys are willing to risk losing the field for future pilots in order to 'validate' their myopic agenda. You need privately held (and, ideally, membership owned) fields, simple by-laws that can't be interpeted for the 'agenda' and leadership that doesn't have 'power' to bully membership.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:52 PM
koastrc

This is all some nice stuff. Homeowners, primary, no insurance, other insurance companies, and I don't need insurance. Perhaps not the way it has been said. If it cost $78.00 for primary insurance and it is a good policy, I would be for it. All the talk about insurance is something to me. In our area of the country Allstate and State Farm have asked for a increase in the price of homeowners of only 60%. They were the first to ask so far.
The first thing people say is that is your part of the country. In several states, the states themselves have to come up with insurance pools. Much like cars. If a person is required insurance and no company will sell it to them. That person goes into the pool. It is not cheap.
If a land owner says to fly on their land you must have insurance. You find yourself in the same spot as the car guy, no insurance no drive. In our case on this subject, no insurance no fly. One person did say he had a place that he could fly without worry. To that, I for one feel very happy for him.
Each day we hear about the cost of insurance. There is some very smart people on this and other Model Aircraft forums. Model aircraft and insurance is something we just don't think about. I think perhaps we need to start. Maybe some of the people that read this forum can come up with a way to help us all insure our hobby.
All someone has to do is pick up the paper or turn on the TV and read about the housing problem. If you can't pay for your house, then you won't have home owners. The sad truth that number is still growing. For some this hobby is one of the few things they have to smile about. It would be a shame for them to have to give up their hobby because they have no insurance.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:48 AM
cj_rumley

I would pay an additional $20 to cover unnamed additional insureds, specifically the owners of any sites that permit me to use their property to fly. And to answer the question I anticipate, liability insurance policies covering unnamed additional insureds are written. This would provide AMA members that do not belong to clubs with the same benefit they currently subsidize for chartered club members.

Cletus
Old 12-13-2009, 02:22 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ira d

I would pay $78.00 for primary ins perhaps a bit more, I have always felt that AMA should be primary are at least offer the option.
I can remember when I had an apartment, didn't even think about renter's insurance. All I carried on my P/U was liability. My AMA insurance was primary then. Can still be for lots of folks.

CR
Old 12-13-2009, 02:28 AM
Charley

If you can't pay for your house, then you won't have home owners. The sad truth that number is still growing. For some this hobby is one of the few things they have to smile about. It would be a shame for them to have to give up their hobby because they have no insurance.
The fact is that if you are having trouble making the mortgage payment, then there is no dough for models. Let's face it. This hobby is becoming more and more for the affluent members of our society.

CR
Old 12-13-2009, 03:08 AM
Charley

I haven't read this entire thread so forgive me if I'm restating earlier posts.

Regarding AMA Liability Insurance being secondary to homeowners or renters insurance: How many of us have homeowners insurance tha covers us up to over two million bucks? I, for one, am happy to have that big an umbrella over my head for a paltry ~$50 a year!
We gotta get real, people! Read the caps on liability in your homeowners/renters policies. Then decide whether or not AMA's insurance is worth it.

CR
Old 12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
The Toolman

There's more than a few of us that would be happy to not receive the mag and a reduction in the price for that....
Old 12-13-2009, 03:43 PM
skipperwayne

What does that have to do with the topic of this thread?

I'm a renter, therefore, I'd rather not pay more.

I seem to have heard somewhere that AMA insurance will cover the deductible for your home owners insurance. Is that true?
Old 12-13-2009, 04:00 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: skipperwayne

I seem to have heard somewhere that AMA insurance will cover the deductible for your home owners insurance. Is that true?

Hey, hot shot, if you don't like what I post, don't read it then. When ya come to my posts, just move your mouse real fast past them.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:41 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Nothing.

Very true. In the case of a minor, let's say 3K "incident" and a 5K homeowners deductable, your AMA coverage is for all practical purposes primary.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:19 PM
skipperwayne

Thanks for the info, K-Bob.

So, as I see it, AMA should modify the insurance policy and remove the coverage for HO deductible since my annual dues subsidizes that payment for all those folks who have HO insurance and say they don't need the AMA coverage. Right?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:35 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Charley

ORIGINAL: ira d

I would pay $78.00 for primary ins perhaps a bit more, I have always felt that AMA should be primary are at least offer the option.
I can remember when I had an apartment, didn't even think about renter's insurance. All I carried on my P/U was liability. My AMA insurance was primary then. Can still be for lots of folks.

CR
If you are a home owner and have HO insurance then AMA wont be primary, I would venture to guess that for the marjority of the AMA members the AMA
insurance wont be primary.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:52 PM
cj_rumley

Thanks for the info, K-Bob.

So, as I see it, AMA should modify the insurance policy and remove the coverage for HO deductible since my annual dues subsidizes that payment for all those folks who have HO insurance and say they don't need the AMA coverage. Right?
Your troll rates a D- [:'(]

Fish that bite on it, into the bait bucket you go.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:49 PM
cyclops2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hell
99 % of us pay a home or apartment insurance policy WITH PRIMARY coverage....................

How many times should someone pay insurances to play with their toys ??????????????????????????????????????

Offer your policy company $ 30 for additional toy model coverage. DUUUH. How much more coverage would they give, just to cover or RC toys ???? At least $ 500,000,000. No bull

Rich