Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Is there more to AMA than paying your money and flying your model airplane?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Is there more to AMA than paying your money and flying your model airplane?

Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there more to AMA than paying your money and flying your model airplane?

Ok, just wondering about something. It is often said that AMA is a benefit to the modeling community beyond just the members of AMA. Since the members and clubs are our greatest visible assets to engage the community at large…what have you or your club done to benefit the rest of the modeling community…you know, other than the club or AMA members?

Example; I helped a fellow to learn to fly at his house in his pasture or helped a guy trim out his model at the school yard or chipped in to buy an interested fellow a parkflyer… or our club worked with the city to allow model aviation in a park without the need of AMA memberships to fly there.

You guys seem to be a fairly active bunch…Let’s here some your accounts.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:11 AM
koastrc

Default RE: Is there more to AMA than paying your money and flying your model airplane?

I have a question sir. You ask the question: Is there more to AMA than paying your money and flying your toy airplane. My question is what is the objective of all this? You and others strike me as very clever people. You have some cool sayings. You make some good points. I enjoy some of the things that is posted. I still don't know why? Is it to change the AMA? Make the AMA better? Do away with the AMA?
I joined the AMA to compete. If my plane is better than your plane we needed a place or system to prove it. The birth of the AMA? We got a news letter every other month. It just had where the next contest would be. The AMA may of had One full time employee. Some time in the late sixties we got a news letter proclaiming the AMA had ten thousand members. The AMA has grown over the years as the members demand more from the AMA.
You are clever, perhaps you can help me understand why all the going on about the AMA.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:14 AM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Is there more to AMA than paying your money and flying your model airplane?

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Ok, just wondering about something. It is often said that AMA is a benefit to the modeling community beyond just the members of AMA. Since the members and clubs are our greatest visible assets to engage the community at large…what have you or your club done to benefit the rest of the modeling community…you know, other than the club or AMA members?

Example; I helped a fellow to learn to fly at his house in his pasture or helped a guy trim out his model at the school yard or chipped in to buy an interested fellow a parkflyer… or our club worked with the city to allow model aviation in a park without the need of AMA memberships to fly there.

Perhaps as the thread-starter, you could lead by example and list some of what you have done to get things rolling.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:17 AM
tail strike
My Feedback: (1)

From what I understand the AMA has spent a lot of time, money, and effort olbbying congress for our use of frequencys, right to fly our modles and much more.
If it weren't for the AMA we proably would not be able to fly our toy planes as you put it.
I don't have a toy plane I have a scale model airplane that I fly in IMAC compitions.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:38 AM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

This thread, just another example of AMA Bashing! Our Sport is under more scrutiny than ever, the FAA wants to regulate it, Homeland security wants a piece of us, tree huggers want to eliminate us from using public land that would be better served as nature trails; the list keeps growing; and if not for the AMA, these groups would have their way.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 AM
fytrjok
My Feedback: (2)

A toy airplane iz somsing zat you vind up und it rolls along za floor! A model aircraft is somsing altogeser different...lift und drag coefficients, airfoil shape, CG und ving design all corespond to zer full scale equivalents...

Heinrich Dorffmann
Old 10-14-2009, 11:52 AM
AB Bob
My Feedback: (20)

Our club has opened up the field for Boy Scouts, to fly model rockets and to our VFD for their annual picnic. Some of our members provided visual entertainment for the attendees (well at least until the band showed up!). There was alot of interest from the members of the VFD, as well as members of their families. Hopefully some will get into the hobby. AMA provided event coverage.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 PM
KidEpoxy

Our club has opened up the field for Boy Scouts, to fly model rockets and
that almost sounds like your club is letting non AMA insured pilots fly there as club guests []
Old 10-14-2009, 12:13 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

OH BOY! Another chance to do some AMA BASHING!! [sm=tongue_smile.gif]

I save up the magazines and donate them to group homes.

Time to go work on my 4 HP, 180 mph TOY PLANE.....and yes it is a TOY. Scale or not, only a little make believe fairy-tale guy is ever going to be able to climb onboard and fly it. It's also only used for play time. Can't call it much else than a toy.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:17 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: dasintex

This thread, just another example of AMA Bashing! Our Sport is under more scrutiny than ever, the FAA wants to regulate it, Homeland security wants a piece of us, tree huggers want to eliminate us from using public land that would be better served as nature trails; the list keeps growing; and if not for the AMA, these groups would have their way.
I suspect he is one of the infamous RCU 27, AMA bashers to the core.

The great work of AMA you mentioned is all behind the scenes, leading some like the OP to question it. In response, I'll quote what the good sisters in her parochial school told her when she had such questions: "Ours is not to question but to believe."

Old 10-14-2009, 12:19 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: AB Bob

Our club has opened up the field for Boy Scouts, to fly model rockets and to our VFD for their annual picnic. Some of our members provided visual entertainment for the attendees (well at least until the band showed up!). There was alot of interest from the members of the VFD, as well as members of their families. Hopefully some will get into the hobby. AMA provided event coverage.
[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 PM
KidEpoxy

Why are so many folks attacking a thread
aimed at letting folks praise what their group of AMAers has done,
as bashing?

Its only bashing if you guys bash and type hate
rather than simply answer the question with all the great stuff you've done.
Stop assuming nobody (including the guys accusing Bashing) has anything good to say about the AMA.

... why would you even assume that anyway?

Yet another chance for positive voices to praise the ama
turned into junk hate posts about bashing that hasnt even actually happened in the thread.

By just post #5 we get this:
This thread, just another example of AMA Bashing!
Just who is he accusing of bashing?
Post4?
Posts 2&3?
Is he accusing the OP asking folks to share the positives they have... is inviting positives now "Bashing"?
Lets get post5 to clearly name who of posts 1-4 he saw bashing.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:52 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

KE, some of the misunderstanding in reference to identifying true AMA bashing is due to a lack of reading comprehension, reading ability, dealing with abstract concepts, maybe even RF interference through their foil helmut liners. Calling this thread AMA bashing is both paranoid and schizophrenic.

Ever notice that it's always the "scale guys" who get sideways when you call their "exact scale flying replicas" ......"TOYs"? The worst cases are those guys who are into scale trains who wear the RR engineer outfits while they play........
Old 10-14-2009, 01:32 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Back on subject, MRCF has:

Boy Scout Aviation Merit Badges (102 Boy Scouts so far)
Scripps Ranch high school NROTC Aviation program (3 years)
Toys for Tots (6 years and running)
Miramar Base Library Book Drive and Young Readers program (2 years)
Miramar Airshow support (22 years)
Young Marines program (3 years)
Devil Dogs (Marine dependents diversion program) (3 years)
Tierrasanta Middle School Aviation day (3 years)
Veterans Day tribute (2 years and running)

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:04 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: s3nfo

Back on subject, MRCF has:

Boy Scout Aviation Merit Badges (102 Boy Scouts so far)
Scripps Ranch high school NROTC Aviation program (3 years)
Toys for Tots (6 years and running)
Miramar Base Library Book Drive and Young Readers program (2 years)
Miramar Airshow support (22 years)
Young Marines program (3 years)
Devil Dogs (Marine dependents diversion program) (3 years)
Tierrasanta Middle School Aviation day (3 years)
Veterans Day tribute (2 years and running)

Just off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

Impressive!

Could you elaborate on the Devil Dogs deal? I am not familiar with that one. Sounds interesting.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:38 PM
KidEpoxy

I'm still fuzzy on the common calling of the Boy Scouts....
is that an activity that AMAers go do for non AMA members,
or is it an activity AMA'ers do for other AMA'ers (like they have to have $1 Yute AMA to fly)
?

Do all Scouts get help/mentoring/sticktime,
or just the ones that agree to sign up with AMA?
Old 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM
704hank

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

or is it an activity AMA'ers do for other AMA'ers (like they have to have $1 Yute AMA to fly)
?

Hey kid I know you are better then that last statement!
I am disappointed in you.[]
Old 10-14-2009, 05:27 PM
KidEpoxy

If you think my question is disappointing,
wait till you get their answers.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:44 PM
704hank

Kid
If you know the answers what is the point?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 10-14-2009, 06:03 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

?

If you think my question is disappointing,
wait till you get their answers.

In the case of one of the clubs I belong to, ALL the scouts get stick time (if they want it). Sorry that disappoints you.

Now in keeping this thread about the positives, maybe Kid E. will share some of his clubs contributions.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:43 PM
psb667

Im not sure about this. Hopefully one of the jeffco guys will chip in here but I dont think that our local field at the state park would let us fly without the ama. I could be wrong though happens more often than i like.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:17 PM
KidEpoxy

P51
In the case of one of the clubs I belong to, ALL the scouts get stick time (if they want it)
This is great news.
I have been trying to get folks to accept letting non-AMAers fly (like your Scouts) at the invitation/guest of AMA clubs (aka Pay Per Day), but have always had folks declaring everyone that flys, even 'guests'(Scouts/PPD) must have AMA brand insurance by muncies rules. Can you share with us how you got around that, so others can get non-AMA community folks(Scouts/PPD) flying as club guests too.

Now in keeping this thread about the positives, maybe Kid E. will share some of his
Me?
I used to live near a flyin place,
and as a regular there I would help new folks tune, trim, and learn to make a decent approach... all without carding them or asking for compensation (beyond reasonable LilChocoDonut expenses [8D] ). The LHS would tell newbs to go to the AMA field, and if they dont want that then they can go to the flyin place for laid back help or even lettin a guy do it himself if he really wants to.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:49 PM
bkdavy

If you read the AMA rules carefully, you'll find that any AMA member can provide a one-time introductory flight to a non-AMA member using the AMA members equipment and a buddy box, and still be covered by the AMA insurance. In addition, a registered Introductory Pilot can also provide instruction and introductory flights to non-AMA members. Our club uses these provisions to provide demonstrations to Boy Scouts, Community Fairs, and open houses at the club. The best thing we can do to promote the hobby is give people a chance to try it, and we do.

Brad
Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 PM
jessiej

I suppose the value of the AMA to an individual would be in part dependent upon how that individual views his hobby. It seems that most here describe their hobby as "RC".

I consider my interest to be "Model Airplanes" and "Model Building". I enjoy freeflight and control line as well as radio controlled model aircraft. I enjoy building and have no interest in ARFs.

Perhaps an organization such as "Academy of Remotely Controled Flying Devices" is needed?

jess

Old 10-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

//snip//
Looks like you are searching for the SOS/DD that each thread here tries to take. Rather boring actually.

Well, Jetero had a great BIG IMAC Contest a couple weeks ago. Lots of spectators and 65 contestants. After the official competition on Sunday afternoon, there were 4 Introductory Pilots and 5 good airplanes, 2 OF WHICH WERE MINE! We also had a TAG program. Simulators, and lots of clubmember help. During that flying, spectators were treated to some fantastic 3D flying and heavy IMAC patterns by a few great pilots.

Using the regulations as bkdavey explained, we did not bother using the IP paperwork but right on with giving lessons each pilot furnishing his own fuel etc, and we ran 43 first timers through the program. Each group had an instructor on the main Tmtr. another instructor helping the newbie on the slave Tmtr. and a couple guys helping with refueling, etc. Models were in the air all the time.
Our spectators came from "flyers" passed around in LHSes, Dr. Offices, and such other places. In addition we had local radio and news papers promoting the event with one newspaper having the event on its front page.

In addition we had a raffle for 15 items ranging from a $5000.00 airplane, radio, engine down to a much lesser item. I won a $275.00 advertised MSRP, which was 11th place electric, plane, motor, speed control, battery, and 4 hitec servos. So our club can put on a show, aimed at both competition big time and the folks off the street.

Every club can if they get off their butts and just DO it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.