Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

New/Revised AMA Safety Code item:

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

New/Revised AMA Safety Code item:

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 AM
archerry
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New/Revised AMA Safety Code item:

If you ever drive down California hiways, you will notice signs posted to report drunk drivers.... If you suspect, call the number and it's up to them to respond; they will bring the equipment to do the testing...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:13 PM
Erich_F

Something tells me that the responding State Trooper won't take that very well.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not question drugs as some prescription drugs, or medical ''weed'' is beyond my scope. OTOH, I can sit and have a good Mexican lunch, 2 beers to wash it down, and never know any influence, or be labeled a drunk driver. [i]Now, may I do the same for RC flying?

Hoss, I cannot believe you actually drink and drive from the above post- you are impaired after drinking period...............Not how much-Beer has never sharpen any motor skills-keep up the two beer lunch routine-I hope you have a designated driver because we now have a "no refusal" law in Texas.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:30 AM
KidEpoxy

Jim,
I am far more dangerous behind the wheel BEFORE I've had my first coffe
than I am AFTER I've had my first beer.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:03 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

Hossfly,

Please relax and calm down. I hate to see anyong get their blood pressure so high. I only read the first page. I hate to bring this up but why was this rule ever put in place with 8 hours? Why not 12 hours? Is the reason to do with reaction time a perosn flying is reduced?

Lets look at some of our senior flyers that have reduced reaction. If you want to place that rule back then you need to address the old men that still want to fly no matter if they are a danger to others or not. We have all seen that.

I have no issue with any 2010 rules. I have no issues with our seniors flying. I feel we should respect our seniors and help him if needed with all the respect in the world.

I even will go and say this issue might not have been brought up and could be in poor taste. Is this an issue with the rule or is this an issue with people loosing more authority in controlling people. Some have call this type of person as fun police.

I am not calling any person any name to include yourself. Your older than I am and I want to give you the respect you should receive. So relax and have a Merry Christmas and a happy new year.

Crash99
Old 12-23-2009, 10:34 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: crash99

Hossfly,

Please relax and calm down. I hate to see anyong get their blood pressure so high. I only read the first page. I hate to bring this up but why was this rule ever put in place with 8 hours? Why not 12 hours? Is the reason to do with reaction time a perosn flying is reduced?
C-99, no need to sweat my blood pressure reference the OP topic. It holds well below the requirements for a 20 year old jet-fighter pilot, and I soon will turn 74.
If anything would stir it up is that this thread so readily illustrates the difficulty so many individuals have in comprehending a main subject. I stated very specifically that only one item is of concern. That concern is that club officers, contest directors, safety officers, and all club members no longer have a firm rule with which to make a determination reference the alcohol use of model fliers at/on any given time period.

Personally I don't give a tinker's dam about the time period itself. However the 8 hour rule - very probably stemmed from the FAA 8 hour rule in 1:1 scale operation - did present a firm rule. "Under the influence" provides absolutely NOTHING for the model airplane environment.
In that respect, I wonder why individuals in a rule making body would make such a change. In 1968, when I first started working for UAL, the company pilot rule was 24 hours minimum between bottle and throttle. In 1985 some "Management Pilots " were caught having a PARTY within about half that time before flying back to USA from Japan. Well, immediately UAL dropped the limit to 12 hours. Had it been a bunch of regular LINE PILOTS, we all would have been fired. [:@]

//snip//
I even will go and say this issue might not have been brought up and could be in poor taste. Is this an issue with the rule or is this an issue with people loosing more authority in controlling people.
Crash99
Are your questions just to stir some pot, or simply because you failed to read/comprehend the first post?
Old 12-23-2009, 11:02 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

That concern is that club officers, contest directors, safety officers, and all club members no longer have a firm rule with which to make a determination reference the alcohol use of model fliers at/on any given time period.

I think the change was to eliminate other's from liabilities of someone else's indiscretions... It puts the burden squarely on the individual making the poor choice. A good change IMO
Old 12-24-2009, 12:01 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know many clubs forbid flying while consuming alcoholic drinks but I really dont there is a much of a problem with intoxicated modelers as a whole.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:58 AM
rolsen12

Who is going to be the judge as to what drug or beverage is Dangerous to flying at a particular field?
I know of some that can walk a straigh line that a normal person would be out cold.
Old 12-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Archie League

"If you are under the influence" of alcohol or medications that can effect you. Sounds pretty simple to me. This is the standard for tens of thousands of people working in the Aviation feildand has been for a long, long time.

Remember, you are medically disqualified if you are taking antihistamines. These meds have been determined to impair you.So have vascular dilators, all psych meds, painmeds, anti-spasm or muscle relaxers andmost chemo meds.

My question has always been this: if I might be impaired, why are you asking me if I am impaired. Wouldn't my impairment blind me from knowing that I was impaired ?

Good luck coming to terms with the new, (old) rule.And let us know is you see any drug testing at your field.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:10 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: ira d

I know many clubs forbid flying while consuming alcoholic drinks but I really dont there is a much of a problem with intoxicated modelers as a whole.
That really is a very good point...this thread is a bunch...err..much ado about nothing.
Old 12-24-2009, 08:45 PM
crash99
My Feedback: (3)

I agree for myself. But I don't drink. But who am I to say you can not fly due to I think you have been drinking, impared from drugs or just to old to fly safel Not me and I am a CD. I just feel we need to keep in mind that flying is fun and I will not be the fun police. I want to see the group increase not decrease. I guess I am 100% ok with what the AMA has done. Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

Crash99
Old 12-25-2009, 10:32 AM
The Toolman

Probably something the ins co. come up with to figure how to weasel out of paying a claim.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:26 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: ira d

That really is a very good point...this thread is a bunch...err..much ado about nothing.

For once, I can agree wholeheartedly with LCS. It is an extremely small issue. I have not seen any alcohol related problems at the flying field in many, many years. Back in the 1970s and 1980s, a local club did have a couple of members that really did drink and fly in ways that were not safe. They are long gone. And even then, I never saw ANYONE under the influence at an AMA event for a CD to worry about.

The present local club culture simply does not promote or encourage drinking and flying.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:44 AM
gzkpez

I would think a 8 hour rule is pretty restrictive. If I had a drink at a working lunch or just meeting friends etc.; I would not be able to fly after work. One drink or beer will pretty much would be gone in most of us after only an hour. There will be some alcohol left in our eyeballs for a lot longer, but I do not think that will effect your vision and certainly not your reflexes. There are some issues if you go up in altitude, but we stay on the ground when we fly our models. And if I was binging (as in the past) it would effect me for at least 24 hours.

I do think at most flying fields alcohol should be banned; mostly for community relations, being family orientated, Dram act, etc.