Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

As usual ama behind times

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

As usual ama behind times

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 07:28 PM
The Toolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: As usual ama behind times

ORIGINAL: CRG

Since when is it the AMA's job to keep us informed of new technologies that may or may not have some application to modeling? They'd need a whole separate publication for that alone.

If and when it becomes applicable I'm sure they'll write about it.

I think the criticism is unfair, and unwarranted.

Ultra lightweight batteries for rc planes? If you read a little, you'll see they can make them paper thin....Wouldn't it be nice if your covering was also your battery?

I guess any new design for an airplane/engine/radio shouldn't be talked/wrote about until its on the market and a surprise to everybody? I bet you sure didn't get into rc without doing a little investigating first.

Don't you enjoy reading about new technology coming that can be used in rc planes, even if it isn't fully ready yet? They sure talked about 2.4 radios quite awhile before anybody started making them.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:31 PM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I'd like to see Toolman Product Reviews, but sooner or later you know he'd sell out to tha man just like everyone else.......[8D]

Hey, everybody has a price, an mine is lots of sweet chocolate stuff/junkfood.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:09 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

......that's where the real money in this sport is, product reviews!![sm=greedy.gif]!!

Batteries made out of algae...too bad they can't be made out of another liquid that comes to mind, some of these monkey-spanks around here would be millionaires...
Old 11-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Beam
My Feedback: (1)

Just wait PlaneJim, Hoss and Epoxy will have something else to blame on the AMA!!!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Mode One

"As usual ama behind times".

For the above statement to make sense, it needs to be proven the technology is pertinent to model aviation use?

Is it?
Old 11-27-2009, 06:42 AM
The Toolman

Old 11-27-2009, 06:42 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pickup... I like learning of all new technology that is out there... keep'em coming. I would think that everyone would like to hear of new battery technology... as fast as it seems to be changing right now. It ain't your mothers D-Cell anymore.

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

Been in the news awhile back, but just showed up again.. You'd think MA would have been on the ball an getting this out. I guess they don't have anybody there with enough getup an go to keep up to date on stuff like this

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...smadefromalgae
Old 11-27-2009, 06:45 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: on_your_six

Nice pickup... I like learning of all new technology that is out there... keep'em coming. I would think that everyone would like to hear of new battery technology... as fast as it seems to be changing right now. It ain't your mothers D-Cell anymore.

Been in the news awhile back, but just showed up again.. You'd think MA would have been on the ball an getting this out. I guess they don't have anybody there with enough getup an go to keep up to date on stuff like this

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...smadefromalgae

Thank You Sir, I'm glad somebody else has the ability to look ahead. To many here that are stuck in the past.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:50 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: Beam

Just wait PlaneJim, Hoss and Epoxy will have something else to blame on the AMA!!!

Epoxy is the glue that keeps this forum together......hahahahhahaha
Old 11-27-2009, 09:49 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I agree that we all want to hear about new technology, and we, as members of the AMA should try to keep our minds open to new possibilities. There is certainly the possiblity that this new technology could give us the capability to have custom fitted batteries into our fuselages that weigh less.

Should we fault the AMA that they didn't identify this article 45 days ago and put an article into the most recent AMA magazine (which probably went to press about the same time that article came out). Lets not be ridiculous.

AMA isn't "behind the times" on this. While the discussion has been good, the subject line on this thread reveals an attitude that no matter what the AMA does or doesn't do, somebody will complain.

Brad
Old 11-27-2009, 09:58 AM
The Toolman

Brad, if ya go back a few posts you'll see where I showed Frank an article from March of 2007 about it also....
Old 11-27-2009, 11:59 AM
LarsL

I think Toolman's title for this thread speaks to his unconditional feelings about the AMA. Of course he is entitled to have any opinion he wants. My feeling is that he is being unfair, as I have read many articles that spoke to new technologies and developments in our hobby.

With the logic that Toolman has used in his argument, should he also not chastise the AMA for not writing an article about hydrogen powered internal combustion engines that would make our hobby/sport cleaner, cheaper, etc.? That is technology that has been written about for some time and in fact is referenced in the link that he provided in his initial post. Since he has posted that he is an IC guy and not electric oriented, I would really think he would be after the AMA for that.

Lars
Old 11-27-2009, 12:34 PM
The Toolman

No.1.....Your right, I don't really think very highly of the ama or ama or ama for that matter.

Your spin really don't cut it with me on the hydrogen engines. The rc bunch is more likely to use a new high tech battery sooner than a hydrogen engine for a model plane. An you know that, don't ya?
Old 11-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Mode One

Still, I wonder if this "New Technology Battery" that is on the horizon, is adaptable to R/C? You'd think an IC guy who has no interest in electric power, but has brought this idea forward, would dig into it and tell us what he has found out!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:05 PM
The Toolman

Read the dang article an you'll see
Old 11-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Mode One

I read the article before making my first comment, Ronnie.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:10 PM
combatpigg

I'll bet a dollar that Red knows about it and is putting info together for an article. I don't think much gets past him in battery land for too long.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:58 PM
The Toolman

It still would be neat to have the covering as your battery, whether you fly elec or glow. They claim to be able to make them paper thin right now with charging times from seconds to 8 minutes.....

<<Moderator edit to remove off topic comments >>
Old 11-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was hydrogen powered RC plane flow several years ago. The hydrogen was stored in the wing spar, in some sort of solid form. Hydrogen was released by injecting water into the spar; power was controlled by rate of water injection. I think the flight reported was about 15 minutes. This was done by some hydrogen fuel company. It was not written up in Model Aviation.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was hydrogen powered RC plane flow several years ago. The hydrogen was stored in the wing spar, in some sort of solid form. Hydrogen was released by injecting water into the spar; power was controlled by rate of water injection. I think the flight reported was about 15 minutes. This was done by some hydrogen fuel company. It was not written up in Model Aviation.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:07 PM
CRG

You're sure? How do you now that? Very nice of you to paint Red with your bitter brush.

If you have anything nice to say about anybody be sure and let us know....

Oh I'm sure he'd do just that for spite, but I don't really give a dang one way or another. I'm pretty much tired of writing articles for mags anyway. I'm sure he has read the info I posted an will take all the credit for it. Thats usually what his type of characters do in the writing biz. Been around it to many years an see it done all the time.....

It still would be neat to have the covering as your battery, whether you fly elec or glow. They claim to be able to make them paper thin right now with charging times from seconds to 8 minutes.....
Old 11-27-2009, 04:26 PM
The Toolman

You're sure? How do you now that? Very nice of you to paint Red with your bitter brush.

Oh I'm sure he'd do just that for spite, but I don't really give a dang one way or another. I'm pretty much tired of writing articles for mags anyway. I'm sure he has read the info I posted an will take all the credit for it. Thats usually what his type of characters do in the writing biz. Been around it to many years an see it done all the time.....

Thats because Red has crapped on alot of us over here an caused alot of BS. I don't use brushes, I just tell it like it is.

Be sure an ask Stickbuilder about the great Red.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:35 PM
combatpigg

Yes, the battery right now is a huge limiting factor while scratch building speed planes. I look at it as ballast, but I would just rather not have to look at it at all. Imagine a battery skin that is also structural, too. That would be too much to ask for all at once. Being able to watch it change colors as the charge bleeds off would be nice, too. Right now it doesn't take much battery weight to run a plane for a couple flights, but it's just dead weight that could be serving another purpose like supporting or covering the plane.

Jim, this is the first I ever heard of a hydrogen powered model. Sounds like a future article they might run.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:40 PM
The Toolman

That would be neat Jim...Was they storing the Hydrogen in the wing, or did they have some kind of small hydrogen generator on board of the model plane.

A lot of people don't think about it, but a lot of things the scientists come up with are picked up by the guys at home that end up refining them in their basement or garage for a different purpose than what they was designed for. American Ingenuity at work...
Old 11-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CRG,

I don't know you, but if you had been on the receiving end of Red's viturol as much as some here have, you would not have much use for him either. We can start with him taking text from this forum and exporting it to where the second party can't go and defend himself, all the way to attempting to ban a member in good standing from his AMA District's newsletter, to sticking his nose in the personal business of an AMA member with the AMA. I can go on and on about him, but hopefully you are getting at least part of the picture. He almost cost an AMA employee her job when he stuck his big nose in where it was not warranted.

I'd give one piece of advice. Learn some things about someone before taking their word at face value. He no longer is a posting member here on RCU, and I'll promise you that his recreational arguing is not missed at all.

Bill Hurt
AMA 4720

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.