Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

As usual ama behind times

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

As usual ama behind times

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 09:31 PM
The Toolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default As usual ama behind times

Been in the news awhile back, but just showed up again.. You'd think MA would have been on the ball an getting this out. I guess they don't have anybody there with enough getup an go to keep up to date on stuff like this

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...smadefromalgae
Old 11-25-2009, 11:07 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: As usual ama behind times

What does the AMA have to do with Algae Batteries?
Old 11-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: PLANE JIM

What does the AMA have to do with Algae Batteries?
Nothing.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:29 AM
jship
My Feedback: (4)

I guess I miss His point!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Mode One

Since when is the AMA tasked with bringing new technologies to light?

WOW, Toolman, you have dug very deeply and gone very far afield into esoteric information to arrive at something else to confirm your belief that the AMA is not worthy of your membership!

Certainly the most lame excuse to get "On the AMA" that I have ever seen, Toolman! I will say this however; YOU DO have "enough getup an go" to post worthless diatribes!
Old 11-26-2009, 08:43 AM
The Toolman

To all the RCU brain trust above that can't read, the ama owns MA Magazine, an thats who I said was behind dropping the ball. Its in big capital letters in my original post. Since MA is hell bent on promoting elec flight now, you would think they would be watching this type technology, just like they would on a new plane design making it's way thru the pipe...

Oh yeah, Mode one, your showing your smarts as usual. You really need to find something to do....hahaha
Old 11-26-2009, 09:09 AM
Mode One

Model Aviation/The Academy of Model Aviation, you mean there isn't a link between the two? And here all the time, I thought Model Aviation was the publication of the AMA!

Your original post is stupid, I have no idea if you are! However, it's always the case when stupid is what stupid does, they start in with the insults!

Happy Thanksgiving Ronnie!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Muroc1

Well let's see, the earliest date I can find on this new battery technology is Sept 15: http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Ne...r/15090902.asp

Even if MA had someone submit an article for submission on this new technology, it would most likely not come out in print until Dec or Jan time frame. Plus, I think it might be a little premature to think that the RC community will be using these style batteries anytime soon.

If MA was a scientific magazine, I would think the OP has made a good point. But since it is not, I'm sure this thread has something to do with this post here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9281391

Perhaps the OP needed something to do over the holidays?

Frank
Old 11-26-2009, 09:37 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: Muroc1

Well let's see, the earliest date I can find on this new battery technology is Sept 15: http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Ne...r/15090902.asp

Even if MA had someone submit an article for submission on this new technology, it would most likely not come out in print until Dec or Jan time frame. Plus, I think it might be a little premature to think that the RC community will be using these style batteries anytime soon.

If MA was a scientific magazine, I would think the OP has made a good point. But since it is not, I'm sure this thread has something to do with this post here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9281391

Frank

Frank, I don't suppose you'd think a battery that was paper thin would be handy in a model plane that depends on its lightweight to be able to fly? NRA's mag on ocassion talks of new metal technology for guns to let the readers know whats headed their way in the near future. I remember years ago when Hot Rod magazine talked of new engine advancements that would be headed to the consumers way in a year or two.

You was doing just fine over on RCG, did they run out of back pats for you over there?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:56 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

Frank

Frank, I don't suppose you'd think a battery that was paper thin would be handy in a model plane that depends on its lightweight to be able to fly? NRA's mag on ocassion talks of new metal technology for guns to let the readers know whats headed their way in the near future. I remember years ago when Hot Rod magazine talked of new engine advancements that would be headed to the consumers way in a year or two.

You was doing just fine over on RCG, did they run out of back pats for you over there?
Hey Ronnie,

More than likely, you would see this in MA if/when someone actually builds something around this technology, and submits an article, or it is seen at an event and reported on.
Wait a minute, you've written magazine articles before, right? Jump on it. You'll be famous. And give us something here to really chew on.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Muroc1

Yes, I do. I think down the road there certainly might be a use in RC for this technology, but to bag on MA for not "breaking the news" on this seems a little harsh when you know it takes time for things to come to print. Don't you think?

Perhaps you can write an article about this and submit it to MA?

Frank
Old 11-26-2009, 10:08 AM
The Toolman

804, It's just something that is worth mentioning in a short article in the mag to be on the lookout for. It gets people to thinking about how they could build a little sturdier plane an still be low enough weight to fly good with a liteweight batt such as this.
A product is worthless if someone doesn't have someplace to use it, an elec planes would be a prime example of a use for this technology.
When fiber optics first appeared, there we're people thinking ahead to what else it could be used for besides pretty little lites they could sell in stores.
Thats why I say that MA could do a short article on it an plant the seed in the builders mind.

In another note....Sony has developed a batt that generates elect. from sugar also....

Edit to add winking guy
Old 11-26-2009, 10:12 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay guys, the mud slinging needs to stop. Dave
Old 11-26-2009, 10:26 AM
The Toolman

ORIGINAL: 804

Frank

Hey Ronnie,

More than likely, you would see this in MA if/when someone actually builds something around this technology, and submits an article, or it is seen at an event and reported on.
Wait a minute, you've written magazine articles before, right? Jump on it. You'll be famous. And give us something here to really chew on.

With your tone here, it seems like you might be a non-believer

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89903.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	1321004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21408.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	1321005  
Old 11-26-2009, 10:40 AM
The Toolman

Frank

By the way Frank, you didn't look very far did ya? http://www.futuresoon.com/2007/03/al...batteries.html
Old 11-26-2009, 11:06 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm going to add on to what DavidAgar has said in his warning. For those that feel they can't discuss an issue without slinging personal insults or attacks I would recommend that they not post here. Because if I see any more of them here in this thread (or any others in this forum) I'm going to start putting people in "time out" with a little MS.  The choice is entirely up to you, but do know that the outcome will be assured.

Ken
Old 11-26-2009, 11:46 AM
Muroc1

Frank

By the way Frank, you didn't look very far did ya? http://www.futuresoon.com/2007/03/al...batteries.html

Nice find. Thanks!

Frank
Old 11-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: RCKen

I'm going to add on to what DavidAgar has said in his warning. For those that feel they can't discuss an issue without slinging personal insults or attacks I would recommend that they not post here. Because if I see any more of them here in this thread (or any others in this forum) I'm going to start putting people in ''time out'' with a little MS. The choice is entirely up to you, but do know that the outcome will be assured.

Ken

Sounds good Ken. I like this apporach. This policy might help bring some more folks back to this forum.

Frank
Old 11-26-2009, 12:26 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want to keep up with the times, here is a very interesting site. http://www.sciencedaily.com/

If you want to see something in MA, maybe they will accept an article from you about it. I've submitted five and had two published.
Old 11-26-2009, 12:33 PM
The Toolman

But do they pay anything for the articles? I'm used to getting paid for what I write in the M/C community mags.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:22 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MA paid better than the various aquarium magazines I have written for, and they pay on acceptance, rather than on publication. A good thing! One of my articles, on painting fake metallic letters and numbers, was lost in the office for several years. If you go to the website, you probably can find out what to do to get published. It used to be a matter of submitting an idea and having it accepted or rejected by the editorial board, then writing the article and submitting it.

Many scientific journals have page charges; so much a page for publishing your article. One writes these costs into grant applications.

If you follow Science Daily Magazine, you will see that there are almost daily announcements of "breakthroughs" like that in discussion. Which, if any, will make it to the market is a good question. I do think you better use your lipos to the max as they will soon be obsolete.
Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 PM
The Toolman

I don't mind getting some $ for an article, I just don't want to work for free... If that is the case (free) I have a lot of things around the house I can do for the wife....haha

I am a glow-gas guy, an really don't have any desire to be electric.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:36 PM
CRG
My Feedback: (3)

Since when is it the AMA's job to keep us informed of new technologies that may or may not have some application to modeling? They'd need a whole separate publication for that alone.

If and when it becomes applicable I'm sure they'll write about it.

I think the criticism is unfair, and unwarranted.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:34 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: 804

Frank

Hey Ronnie,

With your tone here, it seems like you might be a non-believer

Whoa, wait a minute. No mud slinging from me. I'm serious. I'd really like to see Toolman style writing in MA.
I haven't bought a model airplane mag. in probably two years. SOS, borring.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd like to see Toolman Product Reviews, but sooner or later you know he'd sell out to tha man just like everyone else.......[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.