Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA charges too much

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA charges too much

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 01:17 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AMA charges too much

Maybe AMA should pitch it differently, you know those annoying comercials for kids over in indonesia? I think they should take a spin off that! "For a little more than $1 a day, you can help keep a modeler off the streets, give him a flying field and see him fly his plane, please, won't you help?" And the pan shot is of a little kid with a broken airplane standing infront of a cow pasture!?
Seriously, it's just a little over $1 dollar a day, my freakin car insurance for my pathetic jeep cherokee is more than the things worth and more in one payment than the AMA membership. Yes I do believe that the "non-profit" thing is nothing more than an accounting practice, I think the AMA should spend the money on promoting the hobby around the country insted of a so called "Mecca" in muncie. Possibly a traveling roadshow and open houses along the way at AMA fields, all expenses paid. I'm sure alot of clubs do this, but they have to do it themselves, out of membership dues for the club, it'd be nice to see AMA pull up with a trailer and pull out an event.
I got a little off track, but I buy auto insurance for my POS jeep, to cover me driving
I buy health insurance to cover my for illness and injury
I have renters insurance to cover where I live and all my possesions or the building incase I do something stupid
But if something bad happens and it's my fault, I could have my rates go through the roof, but AMA won't cancel your membership nor will your rates for them go up, it's still $58 bucks. I used to fly renegade for years, club presidents knew this and let me fly because they just took me under thier wing and said I was a guest, well I finally realized that it wouldn't be fair to keep doing that so I sucked up and bought it to be nice. I realize that right now with people losing jobs and the national unemployment rate hovering at 17% makes it tough, but if you saved $1.11 a day, you'd be covered for the next year.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:15 AM
Mode One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: jester_s1
I honestly think the drop in AMA memberships is due to the simple decline in aeromodeling interest. Flying isn't the high tech and cool activity it once was and that shows in the number of younger people who want to do the hobby. People who really want to fly models will mostly join clubs and it seems that most clubs understand the value of supporting the AMA. Renegades will always be on the fringe and park flyers are a different kind of modeler. I do believe that AMA will continue to decline as younger people pursue other interests. What I hope is that they don't try to change aeromodeling to make it more palatable to potential members who aren't interested, or start trying to milk their members in order to maintain the budget and staff that they've gotten used to.
The above opinion seems logical and makes a lot of sense to me!
Old 12-09-2009, 07:09 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: jester_s1

What I hope is that they don't try to change aeromodeling to make it more palatable to potential members who aren't interested, or start trying to milk their members in order to maintain the budget and staff that they've gotten used to.
I couldn't agree more. Very well put.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:27 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I rarely weigh in to these threads about AMA anymore, because little is ever actually said. The AMA threads are, unfortunately a magnet for the recreational arguers in RCU. The good news is, it keeps them HERE (mostly) so that few others even notice them.

I have a thing or two to say, and I'll let you weigh out your own answers.

I'm a long-time AMA member, and I've known several folks who collected on AMA insurance. I see you are challenging somebody to show you somebody who did collect, and that's not necessary, as folks DO collect from them. I guess I'll challenge you to read through these interminable AMA threads and you'll read of many who have.

I also challenge you to find just 20 people who have the USAMA insurance, and to find just 4 people who have collected anything from them.

The USAMA "Bashers", as we are called, have researched the company in question. They do not respond to any questions we ask. They do not come in here and talk about what they have to offer. Their address is linked to a very well publicized list of scam companies for the past 6 years minimum. We're not digging for these facts, they are there for you to go and see for yourself. None of this is made-up or contrived, I have offered them the opportunity to come in here and tell us about themselves.

NOTHING.

That is their response for any and every query.

You'll also want to ask the fellas here that bash the AMA whether they have the USAMA coverage. You get a lot of responses like "Are you calling me a liar?!?" and other diversionary tactics. They'll also say things like "I am simply advocating the use of alternatives to the AMA!" Which translates to; "I'm just trying to see if I can con these guys into buying the USAMA so I can see what happens!" They may even have AMA.

I'll say this much. USAMA is just 20 bucks, and I'd like to see you join and see what happens too. Because after all, it's YOUR 20 bucks and YOUR butt on the line when your plane breaches the windshield of that Lexus or Mercedes over there. Not mine.

I just bought two propellers and a little pilot and they cost me 58 dollars. It's not a cheap hobby. It never has been. Fussing about it and stirring things up won't change that either. But when I go flying, I know that my dues are paid with AMA, so if somebody breaks into my car while I'm in the bathroom of the gas station and takes my plane and my TX, I'm covered. Or if I fly my plane through the windshield of my wife's car because of a surprise wind gust on approach. Two pay-outs to me right there.

Up north, when I lived in Maine, most of us guys didn't renew until spring, because hey, we weren't flying, right? Right around St. Patrick's Day 2 years ago, somebody with a big truck backed up to my house and relieved me of all my planes and lot of household items. AMA coverage ends on January 1st, even if you bought it in June. You got, it, I hadn't renewed and I wasn't covered. All the guys in my clubs now renew in December each year, and ME? I've got my AMA through 2011, no more lapses for me. By the end of this year I'll be renewed through 2012.

Your time, your planes, your physical health, they are all worth far more than 58 bucks a year. You may not even have to pay for it! My wife often gives me a gift certificate from my local Hobby Shop. You can lay out the AMA form, all filled out and ready, and do the same thing you do when you want you wife to buy you a plane. Who among us has not circled a plane in a catalog and talked about it in front of her? Do we ever do it otherwise? No, she doesn't give a jump about planes. We do it because Christmas is coming.

Look through the AMA threads, you'll see names over and over again. Go a while back and you'll see me, arguing with them. They rarely have anything new to say, they're just lifetime members of the Bash-the-AMA club.

No bank is perfect, you find the one that has the least number of funny quirks, one that fits your lifestyle and spending habits. No restaurant is perfect, you look until you find one or two that have the kind of service you like, the best menu. No insurance company is perfect, you look for the one that offers the best coverage for your needs.

Read how much these guys have written. For 58 dollars a year, these guys have literally spent WEEKS in front of their computer, arguing with all comers against the AMA. It just doesn't add up. Do they have lives of their own? With all the time they spend there arguing, who would care about AMA? They couldn't possibly find any time to go and fly.

Use your head, be suspicious of these guys. AMA isn't some giant corporation, they are an entity that was created to support our hobby, and we all have the option of using them or not using them. When 90 percent of us do not go and see the beautiful facilities there, that means that about 15,000 of us DO make the trip. The truth is, that closer to 25 percent of us go there, many of us multiple times. They are careful about giving away money Willy-Nilly without the requirements being met. They do that to protect all of us. Any insurance company does that.

Anybody who makes such a fuss about 58 dollars a year really...and I mean REALLY...needs to go and find a cheaper hobby.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 AM
KidEpoxy

"Anybody who makes such a fuss about 58 dollars a year really...and I mean REALLY...needs to go and find a cheaper hobby. "

Have you explained that to the EC guys that created the PPP?
Seems folks have found a cheaper hobby, its called Flyin model airplaines without sending a check to muncie
and you should be elated to hear they are doing exactly what you want:
They got out of the Pay Muncie hobby, just as you decreed.

Win - Win, you get what you want & they get what they want
Old 12-09-2009, 11:14 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

This is what I was talking about, These guys are recreational arguers, they are not here to do anything in particular, they found a controversial subject and they just try to lure people into their arguments. Nothing is solved and there is no redeeming value to what they do in here.

You don't have to look hard to see what you're dealing with.

I said what I came to say, unsubscribing now (You'll want to do that too or your mailbox will be full all the time) and I'll wander back in a few months from now.

Jim
Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 AM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

I rarely weigh in to these threads about AMA anymore, because little is ever actually said. The AMA threads are, unfortunately a magnet for the recreational arguers in RCU. The good news is, it keeps them HERE (mostly) so that few others even notice them.

I'm a long-time AMA member, and I've known several folks who collected on AMA insurance. I see you are challenging somebody to show you somebody who did collect, and that's not necessary, as folks DO collect from them. I guess I'll challenge you to read through these interminable AMA threads and you'll read of many who have.

I also challenge you to find just 20 people who have the USAMA insurance, and to find just 4 people who have collected anything from them.

The USAMA "Bashers", as we are called, have researched the company in question. They do not respond to any questions we ask. They do not come in here and talk about what they have to offer. Their address is linked to a very well publicized list of scam companies for the past 6 years minimum. We're not digging for these facts, they are there for you to go and see for yourself. None of this is made-up or contrived, I have offered them the opportunity to come in here and tell us about themselves.

NOTHING.

You'll also want to ask the fellas here that bash the AMA whether they have the USAMA coverage. You get a lot of responses like "Are you calling me a liar?!?" and other diversionary tactics. They'll also say things like "I am simply advocating the use of alternatives to the AMA!" Which translates to; "I'm just trying to see if I can con these guys into buying the USAMA so I can see what happens!" They may even have AMA.

I'll say this much. USAMA is just 20 bucks, and I'd like to see you join and see what happens too. Because after all, it's YOUR 20 bucks and YOUR butt on the line when your plane breaches the windshield of that Lexus or Mercedes over there. Not mine.

I just bought two propellers and a little pilot and they cost me 58 dollars. It's not a cheap hobby. It never has been. Fussing about it and stirring things up won't change that either. But when I go flying, I know that my dues are paid with AMA, so if somebody breaks into my car while I'm in the bathroom of the gas station and takes my plane and my TX, I'm covered. Or if I fly my plane through the windshield of my wife's car because of a surprise wind gust on approach. Two pay-outs to me right there.

Up north, when I lived in Maine, most of us guys didn't renew until spring, because hey, we weren't flying, right? Right around St. Patrick's Day 2 years ago, somebody with a big truck backed up to my house and relieved me of all my planes and lot of household items. AMA coverage ends on January 1st, even if you bought it in June. You got, it, I hadn't renewed and I wasn't covered. All the guys in my clubs now renew in December each year, and ME? I've got my AMA through 2011, no more lapses for me. By the end of this year I'll be renewed through 2012.

Your time, your planes, your physical health, they are all worth far more than 58 bucks a year. You may not even have to pay for it! My wife often gives me a gift certificate from my local Hobby Shop. You can lay out the AMA form, all filled out and ready, and do the same thing you do when you want you wife to buy you a plane. Who among us has not circled a plane in a catalog and talked about it in front of her? Do we ever do it otherwise? No, she doesn't give a jump about planes. We do it because Christmas is coming.

Look through the AMA threads, you'll see names over and over again. Go a while back and you'll see me, arguing with them. They rarely have anything new to say, they're just lifetime members of the Bash-the-AMA club.

No bank is perfect, you find the one that has the least number of funny quirks, one that fits your lifestyle and spending habits. No restaurant is perfect, you look until you find one or two that have the kind of service you like, the best menu. No insurance company is perfect, you look for the one that offers the best coverage for your needs.

Read how much these guys have written. For 58 dollars a year, these guys have literally spent WEEKS in front of their computer, arguing with all comers against the AMA. It just doesn't add up. Do they have lives of their own? With all the time they spend there arguing, who would care about AMA? They couldn't possibly find any time to go and fly.

Use your head, be suspicious of these guys. AMA isn't some giant corporation, they are an entity that was created to support our hobby, and we all have the option of using them or not using them. When 90 percent of us do not go and see the beautiful facilities there, that means that about 15,000 of us DO make the trip. The truth is, that closer to 25 percent of us go there, many of us multiple times. They are careful about giving away money Willy-Nilly without the requirements being met. They do that to protect all of us. Any insurance company does that.

Anybody who makes such a fuss about 58 dollars a year really...and I mean REALLY...needs to go and find a cheaper hobby.
Rather than pull out the very last sentence and do the sound bite commentary that seems to prevail in this forum, I'm going to quote your whole post and say how excellent and well thought out it is.

Hey, hold the door.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 PM
flying16150
My Feedback: (2)

About 15 years ago , I got bit real good by a twin engine I was trying to adjust, well I turned the claim into the AMA and they did pay, Now I cant speak for all the negativity that you all are expressing , but what I can say is no one forces you to renue your membership dues, but on the other hand if you want to do what you love to do which is fly and you have to fly at a club field and they say you have to have your AMA card , then the choice is simple , you either fly or you dont. but still the choice is yours , I have been to the Nats and Ive enjoyed the facility, but no one draged me there , I made the choice to go, so to hear you all wineing about never going  well again thats your choice.  The only thing I will say is the could have built it some where else other than Muncie, guys if you go there stay out of the strip clubs (nothing to brag about )   and the town isnt that much better lol lol but the people are frendly and the food was good.. and luckaly there was a bowling alley behind the motel .
Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 AM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

my only visit to muncie ia was a bit before the AMA moved there. main impression of the place. it would be a prime location for insertion of the enema tube, if the earth ever needs it.

never figured out what made it so attractive to the AMA to locate there.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

I try to stay out of these anti-AMA threads, because trying to present a valid case of why the AMA is a good organization is like trying to convince an idiot he is not Albert Einstein. I will only echo what Jim posted up a few posts...if you're going to whine about $58 a year, find a cheaper hobby.

Old 01-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: mongo
never figured out what made it so attractive to the AMA to locate there.
Cheap land and a far less expensive labor pool compared to DC. The location was also chosen based on proximity to a high number of AMA members.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:13 AM
flying16150
My Feedback: (2)

Well Said,
ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

NOTHING.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:52 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

humm:

so while places like Dallas, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and who knows where else also have/had those same features, as well as being major transportation hubs with great airport facilities for travel to and from and excellent visitor facilities were overlooked, they chose muncie ia with no airport, no hotel accommodations to speak of and truly bad modeling weather a lot of the year. well, at least they are consistent in their madness.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: mongo

humm:

so while places like Dallas, Phoenix, Las Vegas, and who knows where else also have/had those same features, as well as being major transportation hubs with great airport facilities for travel to and from and excellent visitor facilities were overlooked, they chose muncie ia with no airport, no hotel accommodations to speak of and truly bad modeling weather a lot of the year. well, at least they are consistent in their madness.
Small point, but while there may be a Muncie, IA, you won't find AMA HQ there.
It's Muncie, IN.

And while Dec., Jan., and Feb., are pretty much out, you won't find many +100 F. temps in the remaining months.
IOW, it ain't all that bad, in fact very nice most of the time.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Erich_F

Mongo,

I never had a hard time getting a hotel room in Muncie. Even a couple weeks before the Nats last year...no I didn't get exactly what I wanted, but suffice to say I had a free hotel stay the entire week

Also, you can't beat the "scenery" at the local eateries, ie, Texas Roadhouse.

BTW, I'll be staying at the Signature Inn again during the Nats and IRCHA this year.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Erich_F

Mongo,

I never had a hard time getting a hotel room in Muncie. Even a couple weeks before the Nats last year...no I didn't get exactly what I wanted, but suffice to say I had a free hotel stay the entire week

Also, you can't beat the ''scenery'' at the local eateries, ie, Texas Roadhouse.

BTW, I'll be staying at the Signature Inn again during the Nats and IRCHA this year.
Yes, and you can thank Ball State U., otherwise known as "Fruit Jar Tech", and another name unusable here, for the "scenery".
Old 01-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Hossfly

Or if I fly my plane through the windshield of my wife's car because of a surprise wind gust on approach. Two pay-outs to me right there.
As a youngester with some ideas now and then, my mom always told me, "Don't count the chickens until the eggs hatch."
She was right more often than me. []

AMA documents re: liability insurance:
>>>> "There is not any coverage for injury to a member of his own family (household and relative/s
living in the member’s household) for claims or suits."

Might need a check on that statement prior to getting careless.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
The Toolman

Mongo,

Also, you can't beat the ''scenery'' at the local eateries, ie, Texas Roadhouse.

Unless there is more than one of these, one in Indiana burnt to the ground yesterday. Was on the news this morn....
Old 01-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Erich_F

Yeah they are all over up there...but I did see that news report. I think that was in Indy, though.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: The Toolman

Mongo,

Unless there is more than one of these, one in Indiana burnt to the ground yesterday. Was on the news this morn....
They are everywhere.
Would you go to a restaurant called "Indiana Roadhouse"?
Old 01-08-2010, 02:35 AM
KidEpoxy

If you guys like Texas Roadhouse in indiana
you should try some of the roadhouses down here in TEXAS.
But I dont see the logic in going to indiana for a steak.

Lots of folks dont have the vacation time or money to visit both AMA HQ and Vegas,
well, unless the AMAHQ was outside Vegas.... hmmmm.
Vegas Dry 110 vs Indiana Humid 95 .... gotta say I'd take the dry 110 every time
Old 01-08-2010, 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

If you guys like Texas Roadhouse in indiana
you should try some of the roadhouses down here in TEXAS.
But I dont see the logic in going to indiana for a steak.

Lots of folks dont have the vacation time or money to visit both AMA HQ and Vegas,
well, unless the AMAHQ was outside Vegas.... hmmmm.
Vegas Dry 110 vs Indiana Humid 95 .... gotta say I'd take the dry 110 every time
Well, one man's dry heat is another man's oven.
The avg. temp here in the hottest month, July, is 85 F. We do see a few 90+ days, usually in a week long or so stretch, but that's it.
Yes, extremely high humidity makes even 85 uncomfortable, but even that combination is usually short-lived.

One thing's for certain, tho'. AMA HQ and Nats. are in Muncie.
You'll take it and like it.
Or not.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:35 AM
KidEpoxy

To wrap up this segment:
Actually 804, AMA is a member organization that has, now can, and will continue to change by member elected officers. Heck, we even just got something calling itself TermLimits for those in charge. We are not subject to the Take It Or Leave It dictatorship you allude to... the members are the ama and we can change the ama.

If you truely believed it were a Take It Or Leave It situation,
then you would obviously be posting that opinion in the Student Discount thread: There is currently no college discount (nor military discount) and your Take It Or Leave It belief would apply there too.... right?

This thread is talking about the cost of AMA being high for all,
that thread is talking about the cost of AMA being high for a some,
so why would the two threads be treated differently:
The cost is either high or its not,
we may either effect a change in AMAs cost or not
Old 01-08-2010, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

To wrap up this segment:
Actually 804, AMA is a member organization that has, now can, and will continue to change by member elected officers. Heck, we even just got something calling itself TermLimits for those in charge. We are not subject to the Take It Or Leave It dictatorship you allude to... the members are the ama and we can change the ama.

If you truely believed it were a Take It Or Leave It situation,
then you would obviously be posting that opinion in the Student Discount thread: There is currently no college discount (nor military discount) and your Take It Or Leave It belief would apply there too.... right?

This thread is talking about the cost of AMA being high for all,
that thread is talking about the cost of AMA being high for a some,
so why would the two threads be treated differently:
The cost is either high or its not,
we may either effect a change in AMAs cost or not
So, I guess it's "or not", huh?

Chill out. A lecture on AMA politics really wasn't necessary. I really don't care where HQ is, or where the Nats. are.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:53 PM
CoosBayLumber

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I have some very deep troubles with the AMA and right now, extremely deep situations, I have to say that you, Sir, are the one in error. I have a very excellent Home Owner's insurance plan with USAA, being a member there since 1956. It specifically includes model airplanes in the policy as insured, both for damage by fire and windstorm, plus liability issues. I have another HO policy on my summer cabin in MI using a local well competent local agent of a large company. Model aviation is NOT exempeted there. However the total costs to me far-far exceed the public liability cost of AMA membership. [sm=greedy.gif]

AMA insurance is really designed to assure YOU that a fellow modeler has some liability coverage to assist YOU in case the fellow guy injures YOU or YOURS. It also picks up the excess if your own commercial insurance is inadequate to meet your needs should the courts decide you are responsible for injuries to someone else.

I sort of think that Horace is going along the same route I have chosen. I find now that in order to join up with nearly "Any" group they initially ask you for current AMA license number on the application. If you fly or not. Or even think of such, you GOT to belong. I simply ask them, if it is a "Requirement" for membership, or jsut somehting nice to add on to the application. The groups in wich this is not a requirement seem to be survivng, and those that go the old mantra, are now.....

My H.O. policy far exceeds the limits noted via the AMA, but it yeilds to their policy in initial investigations into the incident. The H.O. policy is acting like a secondary aide, not as the primary one. No matter the cost involved in any claim. Kind of like saying your driver's license is only good in the state and county it was issued in. Not valid in any other state, even though they have same rules.

Would be nice if the AMA got out of the business of running everyone's lives, just said YES to the complainers, and allowed everyone else to go their individial way then. May be dreaming, but once the membership qantity drops so that there are a substantial amount of independants and only two members to the AMA this forum will not be needed. If the member is BAD, then let him be so notified, and do not punish the entire group for the one individiual.

Maybe, just maybe, we all should have reacted much sooner.

Wm.