Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA charges too much

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA charges too much

Old 12-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Bugalooob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA charges too much

AMA just charges too much and thats why their membership is falling, I'll pay up to 50 bucks a year which is fair and they can keep their magazine.. I just need the insurance to fly at my field like most of us..I'm still debating whether to renew my membership for 2010 because of the cost, I may just fly my electrics at the park where all the parkflyer people go
Old 12-05-2009, 11:18 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

Default RE: AMA charges too much

You’re not the only one that wishes the mag would be optional to reduce the membership fee.

I am one that feels the member's insurance part is worth less than the magazine for most of us while for some of the others it is a great value. Funny thing is; all too often those that benefit the least are the ones that praise and value it the most and even more interestingly, those that benefit from it most, value it the least...really crazy....
Old 12-05-2009, 11:23 PM
skipperwayne

I hear that the USAMA is only $20 and you don't have to put up with a monthly magazine.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:32 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: skipperwayne

I hear that the USAMA is only $20 and you don't have to put up with a monthly magazine.
I am not sure if you erred in a reply to me instead of the OP but I like the mag...
Old 12-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Mode One

AMA Charges to much, in comparison to what? Have you checked what it costs to be a member of a similar organization?

I don't have a problem with your opinion it costs to much; however, I don't feel the same way.

Here are some additional things the AMA helps model airplane enthusiasts with, which I feel are important:

1). I feel that Model Aviation is one of the best magazine on the subject of model aviation.
2). The insurance is important to me also.
3). The organization is in the process of meeting with FAA officials to discuss altitude limitations for model airplanes being discussed. This is a current issue before us at this time and typical of the actions the AMA takes to protect our ability to fly model airplanes.
4). The AMA has helped many clubs find and/or keep flying sites.
5). More important then the personal secondary liability coverage for model fliers, is the site owner coverage provided by the AMA for the owner of the property the flying is taking place from. This provides insurance coverage for the owner of the property at no cost to the owner, covering them for possible liability for our model flying. This certainly makes it much more attractive for an owner to give permission to a club to fly from their property. Obtaining this coverage is at additional cost and is one reason it is good to organize a club to defray this cost.
6). The organization provides a National Contest once a years, for those interested in competition to compete at. Although I have little interest in model airplane competitions, the process helps further development in the equipment I use.

There are more reasons I feel my $58.00 dues are worth their cost. If your interested in finding out more, spend some time at the AMA website reading up on the benefits of being a member.

Like I said, I feel it is reasonable for you to feel the way you do! Please honor my opinions, by not giving me a nasty drubbing because you disagree!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:41 AM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Wow. That's less than half the cost. What's the scoop on this option?Are they a division of the AMA?
Old 12-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Mode One

USAMA may be a new kid on the block. From what seems to have been gathered, no one knows much about it; or, if it is legitimate. Strongly suggest the use of due diligence! They will surely take your money. The question is, will they provide the service paid for?

There is much to learn about this right here at the RCUniverse AMA FORUM.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:08 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Mode One

USAMA may be a new kid on the block. From what seems to have been gathered, no one knows much about it; or, if it is legitimate. Strongly suggest the use of due diligence! They will surely take your money. The question is, will they provide the service paid for?

Actually I strongly disagree...there is very little to learn about USAMA here in this forum...mainly just a number of people bashing them and casting aspersions about there credibility.

The reality is that their insurance certificate is posted on their website...If they are perpetrators of wire-line, mail and insurance fraud as the bashers here suggest, it really amazes me they wouldn't just try to sell bogus models on the for-sell-listings and scam much more money a lot faster... you guys are so hard to believe…
Old 12-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Actually I strongly disagree...there is very little to learn about USAMA here in this forum...mainly just a number of people bashing them and casting aspersions about there credibility.

The reality is that their insurance certificate is posted on their website...If they are perpetrators of wire-line, mail and insurance fraud as the bashers here suggest, it really amazes me they wouldn't just try to sell bogus models on the for-sell-listings and scam much more money a lot faster... you guys are so hard to believe…
LCS have you sent in your $20.00, yet?

I have done no bashing here, only suggested using care! However, you are correct, there isn't much information on the USAMA, but what is available is discussed here, on this AMA Forum, whether fact or fiction!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:01 PM
littlecrankshaf

Then...I wonder... how you reconcile:"there isn't much information on the USAMA" & "There is much to learn about this right here"???

I can only guess you mean he should only consider the negative bashing that you and others throw out here on RCU...is that what you mean to say???

Ok let me make it clear for the OP...

Please go through the threads here on RCU and read the uncorroborated negative stuff about USAMA then make your decision based on that…

Is that better now???
Old 12-06-2009, 12:33 PM
rolsen12

If you think that the AMA insurance is worth anything, you are wrong.
Put the money on a good homeowners policy or a mgood renters insurance policy with a ridetr for R/C.
tHERE ARE MORE WAY'S FOR THE ama to get OUT OF PAYING ANY THING THAT YOU CAN THINK OF.
The insurance is not worth the paper that it is writen on.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:02 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: rolsen12

Put the money on a good homeowners policy or a mgood renters insurance policy with a ridetr for R/C.
tHERE ARE MORE WAY'S FOR THE ama to get OUT OF PAYING ANY THING THAT YOU CAN THINK OF.
I hate to disagree but AMA's insurance is fine but you have to know what it really is....that is the problem IMO...people expect it to be something that it isn't...and that is because of lack of actual good information from AMA...AMA has been run much like an internet forum...the information is being doled out, largely dependant on the one's perspectives dealing it out and conclusions being drawn from that stuff.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rolsen12

While I have some very deep troubles with the AMA and right now, extremely deep situations, I have to say that you, Sir, are the one in error. I have a very excellent Home Owner's insurance plan with USAA, being a member there since 1956. It specifically includes model airplanes in the policy as insured, both for damage by fire and windstorm, plus liability issues. I have another HO policy on my summer cabin in MI using a local well competent local agent of a large company. Model aviation is NOT exempeted there. However the total costs to me far-far exceed the public liability cost of AMA membership. [sm=greedy.gif]

AMA insurance is really designed to assure YOU that a fellow modeler has some liability coverage to assist YOU in case the fellow guy injures YOU or YOURS. It also picks up the excess if your own commercial insurance is inadequate to meet your needs should the courts decide you are responsible for injuries to someone else.

Since AMA's insurance company is probably insuring both parties, then you will have to go to court to get whatever you think you are due. That's the tort system.

It bewilders me that so many come here and are completely ignorant of the way the world works. Spend a little more time reading the Wall St. Journal and listening to Fox News rather than text-messaging, playing computer games, and watching CNN, etc. and you might become more aware of the real world.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Mode One

I can only guess you mean he should only consider the negative bashing that you and others throw out here on RCU...is that what you mean to say???
I'm going to insist you point out where I have ever said anything negative about this organization.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I don't think that the AMA charges enough as an annual membership fee, since:
The AMA provides good secondary liability insurance coverage.
The AMA sanctions events Nationwide.
The AMA represents us in the FAI to enable us to compete on a worldwide basis.
The AMA has helped some clubs get and maintain flying sites.
The AMA publishes a magazine that easily could become a first rate magazine (but they won't).
The AMA holds a National event annually that could become a first rate, and meaningful event (but they won't do that either).
The AMA has a wonderful National flying site in Muncie IN. that 90% of the membership will never see, much less fly at.
The AMA has a headquarters in Muncie IN. that 90% of the membership will never visit (there must be a good reason that this address was selected).
The AMA has a staff employed in Muncie IN. that does not know that they work for the membership, and not for Jim Cherry, nor Dave Matthewson.
The AMA has an Executive Committee who has convinced the membership that the Committee should be manned by those who like to hold hands and sing Kumbyah around the campfire, rather than having a couple of Crusty, Curmudgeonly S.O.B.'s as members of the Committee, if for no other reason than to keep them honest.
The AMA could become a first rate organization, but that won't happen either, since they (the Executive Committee) has not listened, nor will not pay any attention to the wishes of the majority of the membership. Maybe with another dues increase, they would make all of us look for a Governing body who will listen and act as the membership wishes.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 12-06-2009, 06:53 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Are we all paying for that nice new building that a lot of us will never see either from no money to go there or no time to travel there or both? Skip the mag and read it on line. Keep the dues cost at a constant figure. Face it we all want the insurance but probably could care less about what goes on with the rest of the R/C world. And on another note do we all follow the AMA guidelines 100%?
Old 12-06-2009, 07:20 PM
iflyfastashell
My Feedback: (7)

i think most of the complainers are cheapskates. hmm. how many pack of cigs each day.... how many beers each day.....how many planes and parts do you buy.....cheap skates
Old 12-06-2009, 07:21 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would sure like to hear of a single instance where the AMA insurance policy paid anything.... I have been hesitant to approach my homeowners insurance agent... can't wait to hear that cha ching when I say that I am flying model aircraft. I sure would feel better if I were buying primary insurance from AMA not secondary.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:36 PM
littlecrankshaf

I'm going to insist you point out where I have ever said anything negative about this organization.
Well I'll have look back and see...

They will surely take your money. The question is, will they provide the service paid for?
Not to hard to find some negative aspersions… Now of course if you said the same thing about AMA then I guess it would be a wash…but you probably won’t…

Now since you probably won't I'll say it... AMA will surely take your money. The question is, will they provide the service paid for?

Now does that sound like I'm bashing AMA???...HMMM...your turn...
Old 12-06-2009, 09:17 PM
flashpilot
My Feedback: (6)

I can't agree more. Firstly I am invited to come see my flying site in Muncie. It is always booked for something or some SIG. At one time I had hopes of getting to a Nats but now it resides in Muncie,fat chance that I will go 1500 miles. No hope of it ever getting closer unless an eart quake happens. Also AMA said when they bought the Passadena show it would help keep our dues down, right a year or so later up it went. The magazine as far as I am concerned is garbage with all the battery powered crap. I paid into the AMA since 1970 and am probably going to get out,they built their self serving organization on my and many others dues. I liken them to both the FCC and the AARP each has an angle. The FCC made CB and found they could not control it. I see the AMA as now having found they did not recognize the new memberships they wanted even after making a special membership for those that fly the Fisher Price toys. Now they are losing membership of us old guys that are fed up. Don't over look your power with the money the AMA runs on $$$$ just like our planes run on glow fuel or gas. Look at the campaign for new member they just had, tell me they aren't hurting. I had privy to see the numbers of people they have lost by each state and it is substantial. Lastly I have been flying RC since about 1970, the only time I have ever been shot down was by an electric flier who was visiting our field. No the AMA can turn their electrics into screw drivers or mixers or some other household product. Like the old saying says " Money talks" and the AMA saw visions of dollars in the electric people. Unfortunately for them the electric people have no use for them either. No I am no longer a supporter of the AMA, I do not want to pay for their mistakes again.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:42 PM
DRC1
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: skipperwayne

This was also tried in the late 80's or very ealy 90's...I think it lasted a couple years and then they folded...I don't recall why...

Sportsxxxxxx something or other I think...

Bash the AMA all you want, tough to beat them at this game...

LLD
Old 12-06-2009, 09:47 PM
Mode One

Well I'll have look back and see...

They will surely take your money. The question is, will they provide the service paid for?
Not to hard to find some negative aspersions… Now of course if you said the same thing about AMA then I guess it would be a wash…but you probably won’t…

Now since you probably won't I'll say it... AMA will surely take your money. The question is, will they provide the service paid for?

Now does that sound like I'm bashing AMA???...HMMM...your turn...
POOOFF!
Your Loosing my faith in your ability at counter point and argument LCS!
Old 12-06-2009, 10:26 PM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

AMA charges less (and most modelers cry at spending that much per year to use their local club field) than an eighteen hole round of golf at most good courses in this country. Then they become outraged when they are kicked out of that field to make way for a golf course.

Shoulda paid attention in economics class. Rule 1; You get what you pay for. Corollary; You gotta pay for what you get.

Would not like to pay $200-$300/year it would cost a 100 member club to lease the necessary land, but realize that that is the value of land in these parts. $50+/year for insurance is actually a small price for someone who typically spends over $1k/year on toy airplanes. The hard part has been finding 99 others willing to spend what it will take.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:37 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Bugalooob, it's not possible to argue your point without knowing what a market research survey would reveal. There are no statistics that can show how many would be flyers silently choose not to join based on price. It's undeniable that there are people out there who would like to participate but can't because of money.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:50 PM
jerrysu29

Bogaloob. You sound like a guy that would rather go out and eat a chit burger at McDonalds, than going out to the Out Back for a big steak. WHAT A WEANY WINEY

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.