Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Wow, some of you are very bitter toward the AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Wow, some of you are very bitter toward the AMA

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 PM
The Toolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wow, some of you are very bitter toward the AMA

Yes its to cold here also, gonna be down below 0 for the next few nights. It'll be monday before it even gets up to 32 in the day here.
I'm in the middle of restoring an old wheel horse Garden tractor right now for something to do. I have a nice heated shop, so its no big deal. Propane is up around $2 gal now, so I kinda watch how warm I keep it out there.
Airplanes kinda take a back seat with me in the winter, I'd rather mess with my little tractors
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 PM
bradpaul

Yeah it is going to be cold this weekend in Florida also.

Brad
Old 01-07-2010, 10:24 PM
The Toolman

LOL....20's an 30's to you all is like below 0 to us. Hope ya got all your plants covered an protected. I guess they are having a heck of a time with the fruits down there over this
Old 01-07-2010, 10:36 PM
bradpaul

The area I live in in central Florida is the center of the nursery and fernery industry. There are an unbeliveable numbers of greenhouses in the vacinity. Friends in the industry say they are spending huge mounts of money on propane to keep their plants alive. I guess evetybody will see the effect this spring when the significant othere go to Lowes or Home Depot for plants.

And f course we may all be drinking OJ from Brazil..............

Brad
Old 01-07-2010, 10:47 PM
The Toolman

Its al gore an that dang global warming thing....Thats whose fault it is IMO. I say he has finally pizzed mother nature off an she's gettin' even
Old 01-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Mr. Mugen

Good thing we mowed the lawn yesterday eh?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91588.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1351714  
Old 01-08-2010, 12:36 AM
cordell staker

well, lessee. When I was a kid in the 50's just reading about the AMA made my interest in the sport/hobby legitimate. For years I was out of the hobby with other family interests. Then we started an annual trip to the Indy 500. Decided to drop by AMA and see the place in Muncie. Joined back up, picked my number, AMA51111. Felt good...liked what I saw. Yeah, I wish AMA was located in Denver, so I could fly off their lawn, but that's about my only gripe. Seems they survived the wallstreet bailout over the subprime stuff, and none of the folks back there went to jail with Madoff. Also seems they have done a bit of talking to Washington since the 9/11 event , and we can still fly some pretty big and fast planes & jets capable of delivering a frozen turkey over a bridge or building.

I like the AMA. I sleep better knowing my little old sixty bucks has someone else keeping my favorite hobby/sport alive and well.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:24 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I agree. As an NRA Life member, I am aware of what is required for dealing with the government. If you don't have some sort of national body to represent you, you don't exist. You have to have something to bring to the table when dealing with the bureaucrats. They understand votes and a national presence.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:43 AM
TestPilot-101
My Feedback: (4)

I've been in this hobby since 1964, and this is how I see it.
The AMA is not a perfect organization. But the buck starts
and stops with it's members not the people that we elected to run it.
If your bitter of upset with something about the AMA let them know
about it, then post your results. I've contacted them, and called them
out (so to speak) on different subjects. I received responses all the way
from the top of the AMA food chain. The point is, they will listen if you
have something important to call their attention to.

If you want someting to complain about follow the money trail.
That will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck!

But over all the AMA has our best interest at heart.
Thats why flying models are still in the future and not a thing of the past.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:11 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: TestPilot-101

I've been in this hobby since 1964, and this is how I see it.
The AMA is not a perfect organization. But the buck starts
and stops with it's members not the people that we elected to run it.
If your bitter of upset with something about the AMA let them know
about it, then post your results. I've contacted them, and called them
out (so to speak) on different subjects. I received responses all the way
from the top of the AMA food chain. The point is, they will listen if you
have something important to call their attention to.

If you want someting to complain about follow the money trail.
That will make the hair stand up on the back of your neck!

But over all the AMA has our best interest at heart.
Thats why flying models are still in the future and not a thing of the past.
You are essentially right about a lot of what you said but the problem, that even the OP doesn’t seem to understand, is that if anyone discusses possible changes among others here they are immediately painted as an "AMA hater†by the Howdy Doody painters club…then things break down into something other than the discussion about the merits of those possible changes…

How to get around that and discuss things like; optional MA, Safety code wording, PPP problems, MA revenue losses, AMA representation at the local level and on and on... Just the mere fact that anyone of those things is an issue to them evidences at least some interest in making AMA better. All too often, everyone with any single concern is grouped into one category…that is the problem here.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Mr. Mugen

Time to get over the AMA hater thing. Some people are just that. If your not one of them then why defend those who are? If your not one of them then why so much fuss over it? Let a painter paint. Don't defend his work if he himself does not like it. Everyone has a view......not just yours.

If your not a hater you should not be in this thread to begin with.....unless deep down you are. OP made this thread for the haters....all others should bypass. How is this so hard to comprehend?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:34 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

If your not a hater you should not be in this thread to begin with.....unless deep down you are. OP made this thread for the haters....all others should bypass. How is this so hard to comprehend?
You are really off base.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:13 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I REALLY do not think he is off base at all-he is "painting it" as he see's it and I certainly agree. No personal attacks from me because that would be against the forum rules and I choose not to live life that way, but I guess I will get back on topic.

It reminds me of driving up to a club that you never attended-you know, where there is 6 old men sitting on lawn chairs and b+tching about anything-there are a few posters in this AMA forum and I will paint them all in one group that remind me of the old men in the lawn chairs at the field-unhappy with life for various reasons and really with nothing else to do but b+tch-they do not have the ability to do anything sometimes because of health reasons, money restraints or they just cannot get along with other people-but b+tch and that is the only thing they do-sometimes they bring other b+tchers with them, they travel in packs or groups and they all operate the same way. They resent new ideas, leadership, and usually do not go away.

AMA IS CHANGING -BECAUSE THE MEMBERSHIP IS CHANGING-THIS IS GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:34 AM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

I did make the original post just for the people who have total resentment and hatred toward the AMA. Like I posted back aways, I agree there are things that could be changed, but griping and complaining about it will get you nowhere. Instead, write letters or call your district VP. You may well end up talking to the president of AMA, because I guarantee you, he does care about this organization!! Let them hear your ideas. And please, separate the actions of a few bad bad apples from the organization as a whole. Don't let petty squabbles make you take your eyes off the bigger picture. The AMA exists to help guarantee that the hobby we all enjoy stays alive. Is that so hard for some to see?

Lincoln said it, the good Lord said it, "A house divided amongst itself cannot stand". Instead of griping about what you want the AMA to be, put some action into trying to make it better!

Off the soapbox...carry on!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:55 AM
jim_franks

I think if you look at the posters in this forum (pro and con for AMA) and their history as to where they post they spend most of their time its here and not out there contributing to the other forums on this site. You would think if think if someone was so into the hobby they would be also posting builds, giving advice, and discussing whats new to the hobby and enriching us who are here looking for learning from the experience of others. What I see the AMA forum as is pure entertainment to read as I take a break from reading posts that enrich my knowledge.
Yes there are things I learn from everyone that posts here. Maybe 10% of what I read.
I'm a long time member of AMA. Think they do an outstanding job. Produce a very nice and informative magazine.
I have experienced bitterness in this hobby, but it always from individuals in the Clubs I have belonged to, but never the AMA.
You will never find a single frame of mind in any organization that centers around the only thing in common is RC and they let anyone in that has the money to join. There will always some people that you are not going to please no mater what you say or do. They will always seem to have to much pride to tell you why.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: jim_franks

I think if you look at the posters in this forum (pro and con for AMA) and their history as to where they post they spend most of their time its here and not out there contributing to the other forums on this site. You would think if think if someone was so into the hobby they would be also posting builds, giving advice, and discussing whats new to the hobby and enriching us who are here looking for learning from the experience of others.
No slight intended here I chose to test your theory using you as the example. You have a total of 23 posts at the moment and 13 of those are in the AMA Discussion Forum. So, You are right.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:34 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: jim_franks

I think if you look at the posters in this forum (pro and con for AMA) and their history as to where they post they spend most of their time its here and not out there contributing to the other forums on this site.
Jim,

I hate to inform you but of your 23 posts on RCU, 13 were in this forum...So most of your posts are in here as well.

As far as contributing elsewhere in the forums, there is a plethora of respondents that are tripping over each other to share their knowledge.

I have been posting here for years and probably only a few here know to what degree I participate in the hobby...it doesn't matter but be that as it may, I can tell you that any evaluation of me based on these forums would likely be in error.

Yes, I have seen multitude of arguments in the other forums over stuff that matters less than the philosophical or AMA policy debates here. Believe it or not, I started out posting in the other forums but one day I stumbled in here and found an overwhelming amount of information degrading the non-AMA modelers. Some of my best friends are not AMA members and you can rest assure they are as good as it gets. Yep, I found it absolutely appalling that the very members that should be the mentors for our hobby and also the educators for our academy would do such things. Until that changes I intend to be here.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:38 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

No slight intended here I chose to test your theory using you as the example. You have a total of 23 posts at the moment and 13 of those are in the AMA Discussion Forum. So, You are right.
oops...you got that post out before me...sorry, excuse me.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:04 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think most of the "anti-AMA" posts are about wasted money on special programs that are doomed to fail / have already failed, etc. The rest of the "anti-AMA" posts are about rules, policies, etc. that either seem unfair or not in keeping with their stated goals.

How is this a bad thing? How is this being bitter?

"Bitter" is a poor choice of words, "critical" is more like it.

I think most of the problem with the "bitterness take" here is a lack of reading comprehension.
Calling anything that has been said in this forum about the AMA, "hatred" is pure hype and melodramatic.
Don't dilute the true meaning of the word "hatred" here, it's like hearing a child yell, "I hate you" after getting spanked. Save that word for when it really means something.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:09 PM
The Toolman

CP, I think your post pretty much sums it up after thinking about it awhile......

ama=wasting money on pet projects
Old 01-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

I think most of the ''anti-AMA'' posts are about wasted money on special programs that are doomed to fail / have already failed, etc. The rest of the ''anti-AMA'' posts are about rules, policies, etc. that either seem unfair or not in keeping with their stated goals.

How is this a bad thing? How is this being bitter?

I think most of the problem with the ''bitterness take'' here is a lack of reading comprehension.
CP, I concider you a freind and respect you greatly. In fact I am planning a trip to the Seattle area this summer and hope to meet you. I also agree with what you have said but must point out the few that have spoken up here (in this thread) are saying, (loose quote) "I don't get anything for my $58". If you go back and read those posts you will see, I responded to most saying, "Quit spending your money on it then." And pointed out what they MIGHT be getting for their money and that it must be worth it to them for that anyway.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:26 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

67S, July & August is T-shirt time, bring your sunglasses! Set a side a day for slow RC combat, lawn chairs and ice chests.....[8D] Don't forget your AMA card, you have to post it at the beer keg if you're going to be drinking and flying.

I'm mainly saying that this thread is pretty typical of the guys who can't tell the difference between being critical and being bitter. All they see is a big dark cloud, make a few grunting noises and lump it all together as being bad, evil, etc.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:30 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

... but must point out the few that have spoken up here (in this thread) are saying, (loose quote) ''I don't get anything for my $58''. If you go back and read those posts you will see, I responded to most saying, ''Quit spending your money on it then...
Your perception is in error then.

I am on record for saying AMA is a bargain at twice the price...but that is for me and maybe only me….It's not about the money! Period. It is about the benefits one gets...and it is different for each of us, believe it or not, sometimes not a benefit at all to some... Why not just accept that instead of buying into all that negative rhetoric…AMA hater stuff?
Old 01-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

I, too, agree that the AMA is a bargain. I am not saying, nor have I ever said, that if you don't agree 100% with everything the AMA does, then you are a "hater". Hell, I don't agree with everything done, either! But, some of you reading this thread DO hate the AMA. You are bitter toward it. I was just wondering why...

Now, for the rest of you that disagree with some of the AMA's decisions, you and I will never see any organization that we all would agree with 100% of the time. That critter doesn't exist.

Here's one thing that I think about a lot. I know guys who don't have a house, they live in apartments, they have no homeowner's insurance. They have no AMA membership, and yet they go out and fly. Some of you are probably in the same category. Have you considered what would happen to you if your aircraft did property damage or injured or even killed someone? Is that a risk that you are willing to take? AMA membership is a bargain if ALL they did was offer you insurance.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Mr67Stang

LCS, you will note that historically I do not lable or buy into the retoric. But if the best you can come up with is, "I'm not getting my moneys worth." then your (their) solution is simple. Therfore for the scope of this thread, until recent post by yourself an CP, my perception is spot on as I feel I did not misread those posters words.

I agree 100% that wasted money on failed/pet projects and the like are legitimate concerns for all reguardless of your position on this particular debate. To tax me for the next four years before the product becomes available to me so you can create the illusion the bill is deficit neutral is just as bad and deserves more criticism than it is getting. Seems we hold our AMA to a higher standard than we do our own government sometimes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.