Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Wow, some of you are very bitter toward the AMA

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Wow, some of you are very bitter toward the AMA

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 09:31 PM
The Toolman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wow, some of you are very bitter toward the AMA

I'd say Hi Bob, but I'm afraid ken'll delete my post
Old 01-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Navy_1

Let me ask a question I have asked it many time before and never gotten an answer. What is the AMA going to do for me? I have homeowner INS so the AMA INS doesn’t really matter. Most clubs want an AMA card to fly. The only club I went to after meeting the president I stopped flying for a few year, quatting AMA rule this and AMA rule that since it was the only safe place to fly in the town I used to live in i just stopped. in fact i think one of the AMA rules he told me was my son could not come out there un less he was 10( typical case of old man sysderom)
So again what are they going to do for the member.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Mode One

ORIGINAL: Woody218-RCU
What's the problem? Why so bitter? Maybe if you lay it out here you can get it off your chest. I think a lot of you ''AMA haters'' have had a problem with an individual, and you attribute your bad experience to the AMA as a whole.
Take all of the people here who post their bitter opinions about the AMA and subtract all the people who say nothing here and you will have a very good ratio of what reality is. You can't convince them that things are good and they can't convince you, that things are bad! Thus, you have reality!
Old 01-08-2010, 11:45 PM
5150flyer

Don't be too negative about the AMA. Yes they need to do a better job, but the hobby and all of us would be worst off without them. Here is a brief list of what they have done for me:

[ul][*] The magazine is OK[*] The insurance is a good backup to my homeowners[*] They have supported the hobby in congress - but I am not sure what they accomplished[*] I like flying at clubs with rules and their rules are good[*] They have a lot of information and help on how to setup and run a club[*] $58 per year isn't much - you cannot even golf 18 holes for that kind of money[*] AMA contests are as well run and fair as you can expect
[/ul]

I own a farm and I don't need the AMA nor a club. But, I just think being part of a group with the same interests is more fun.

However, I do hope the AMA is reading these comments. They need to do a better job.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:39 AM
Navy_1

Golf only only cost me $20.00 on Base( thank god)
what in congress do they need to support? is there something going on are they trying to tax it too Obama said it OK so it must be( ya right bla)
havent been to a contest yet would like to go to the Heli flying they have every year.
does teh Magazine only cater to Fixed wing?
the only club i have gone to with AMA rules did not go over well with me

5150flyer thank you for posting and giving me answers know knowing that i will look in to it when i get home i live in Japan (active duty) as far as i know AMA dosent really do any thing over. just hope i can find a club that dosent have the old man syndrome lol
Old 01-09-2010, 05:44 AM
jim_franks

Sorry to lump you into the group and yes I did kind of made a broad statement. No time to do a study on statistics. Sorry for that if I offend. Checked out the thread. Good information learned alot and that is what I'm on here for.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:40 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL....not much to learn here. Having an AMA thread in RCU is the equivalent of the LaBrea tar pits. Much is said, yet nothing is ever settled. Always full of posturing, insults, flaming, belittling, expressing of opinions because they have the right to, then attacking others for having a different opinion.

Once you've spent time in the AMA threads you'll see some names that show up over and over. For 58 bucks a year you wouldn't think anybody with a lick of sense would spend as much time as they do, but indeed...that is EXACTLY what they do.

If anything ....ANYTHING....had ever come of it, then I could see it. But nothing changes. The other AMA thread is coming up in the ranks now because this one started up, and I have to laugh. Go ahead, read through it.

Then decide if your time is worth something. If it is, you're in the wrong place. But, as I've said before...and as I'll say again...it keeps most of the worst recreational arguers out of the REST of RCU for the most part, so inasmuch as that is true, it provides a service to us...

LOL.....This is like the time loop they got trapped in on those Star Trek episodes! Round and round.....
Old 01-09-2010, 09:43 AM
The Toolman

All of you people that complain about us haters as you call us, why do you keep reading/posting here if its just BS an a waste of time.

The answer is........you can't stand to be left out of it either, but just won't admit it
Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

LOL.....This is like the time loop they got trapped in on those Star Trek episodes! Round and round.....
You got that right. I forget what recurring character you were though LOL.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:46 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

lcs, I was a red-shirt ensign. They always killed the red-shirts....LOL

Toolman, It's just fun to come in once in a while wind up the Tools and toys, and watch them jitter around some before leaving.....

Who would want to be left out of THAT? Just plain FUN....
Old 01-09-2010, 12:24 PM
littlecrankshaf

lcs, I was a red-shirt ensign. They always killed the red-shirts....LOL

Toolman, It's just fun to come in once in a while wind up the Tools and toys, and watch them jitter around some before leaving.....

Who would want to be left out of THAT? Just plain FUN....
Cool...it really should be about having fun...glad we were here for you.

BTW I have always likened myself to Scotty..."I'm giving her all she's got, Captain!" and I think she is going to blow.

Now I am sure Captain Kirk will show up with "Beam me aboard Scotty. There is no intelligent life here" LOL
Old 01-09-2010, 04:07 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Maybe I'm missing something too but it seems you kinda said what he did...you just moved your hands while you said it LOL

He indicated that he wasn't getting anything for his annual dues, and then complained that it's too expensive to try and start his own field.

Seems to me that he really is getting something back for his dues. A place to fly that so that he doesn't have to incur the expenses he indicated were to much for him.

That's the point he is missing. Not sure why you're laughing at my comment.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:56 PM
Hossfly

LOL....not much to learn here. Having an AMA thread in RCU ....? Much is said, yet nothing is ever settled.
Watch it there! Are you saying we operate like the AMA EC?

Always full of posturing, insults, flaming, belittling, expressing of opinions because they have the right to, then attacking others for having a different opinion.
What the devil are you doing with that blanket description? Are you jealous?

Once you've spent time in the AMA threads you'll see some names that show up over and over. For 58 bucks a year you wouldn't think anybody with a lick of sense would spend as much time as they do, but indeed...that is EXACTLY what they do.
Were you personally invited here to do a critique? If not why are you wasting your money? Just who is the "YOU" in "....you wouldn't think..."? To whom are you speaking?

Then decide if your time is worth something. If it is, you're in the wrong place. But, as I've said before...and as I'll say again...it keeps most of the worst recreational arguers out of the REST of RCU for the most part, so inasmuch as that is true, it provides a service to us...
If this place is not worth something, why are you here? Guess you learned all about waste-of-time in a worthless place, while in front of a TV with Star Trek. [sm=lol.gif]

Personally I think it is worth something as I learn more about how others feel about the AMA and aeromodeling, than I can anywhere else, because the area of input far exceeds local flying facilities. I don't particularly like most of what I learn, however a closed fist can not well hold on to something, unless it totally surrounds that something. Same for the mind. If one wants to associate with the real world reality, one needs to forget the "you kiss mine and I will kiss yours" mentality and get into the real action of what is happening now, so as to be prepared for the future.

As someone said, "Ignorance is bliss." Had I practiced being "blissful" during my working years I seriously doubt I would be here today. I also like the little proverb, "It isn't so much what you don't know that will hurt you as that which you KNOW FOR SURE THAT ISN'T SO!"

No one is immune to having their predetermined castles torn down. That creates strong likes and dislikes. Then comes strong friction and whatever goes along with that. IMO when anyone stating, "Attack the issue, not the person," has never heard in his head-set the sound of an enemy fighter's radar fire-lock-on. Again just my opinion, but that includes how many of you attack the "issue" rather than attack the person when you were looking down an AK-47's business end? I have a friend that describes his personality change about that and I love to hear him tell the tale

What do our beloved politicians do during an election race? They spew all the dirt they can find. You vote for the one that does it all the best!

Therefore I still hold to the other proverb: "If you can't take the heat, stay the devil out of the kitchen." [sm=48_48.gif]
Old 01-10-2010, 12:59 AM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Bob Mitchell

That's the point he is missing. Not sure why you're laughing at my comment.
I guess just a poor attempt at humor on my part. [&o]