Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

club info

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:09 PM
fred herbert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default club info

our club ama sancaiton, decided to stop our news letter 1 year ago and go web site, now we have no news letter and web site has not been updated for almost 1 year,good excuse not to pay my dues . i want to see the minutes from all the meetings. oh its on state property , and with ama card i will fly there as a tax payer
Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 AM
rcmiket

Default RE: club info

This has nothing to do with the AMA. Let me guess the same 4 guys have been doing all the newsletters and club duties for years right? Apathy another club killer.
Mike
Old 01-27-2010, 08:52 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

As a club president, I can attest to the difficulties of getting members to participate by submitting articles for either newsletters or websites. Sometimes there is a vocal minority complaining about the lack of communication, but there is a much larger silent majority that just wants a flying site maintained. Club leadership is often very busy behind the scenes working with the landowner or the local authorities, addressing complaints of club members or neighbors, or just trying to ensure the club remains in existence. If you want a club newsletter, volunteer to write it, publish it, or maintain the website for a year. Then come back and complain about it.

Brad
Old 01-27-2010, 01:20 PM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

As a club president, I can attest to the difficulties of getting members to participate by submitting articles for either newsletters or websites. Sometimes there is a vocal minority complaining about the lack of communication, but there is a much larger silent majority that just wants a flying site maintained. Club leadership is often very busy behind the scenes working with the landowner or the local authorities, addressing complaints of club members or neighbors, or just trying to ensure the club remains in existence. If you want a club newsletter, volunteer to write it, publish it, or maintain the website for a year. Then come back and complain about it.

Brad
I wouldsuggest that you get an editor though.

It sounds like just more of the "what are you going to do for me" attitude that seems so prevalent these days.

Meh.
Old 01-27-2010, 01:35 PM
bradpaul

Does anybody really wonder why both AMA membership and Club membership is in decline when an excuse to not pay club dues is "I don't get a newsletter and the website has not been updated"?

Of course the OP still plans to fly at that site...... just not pay dues.

Brad
Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Both my clubs send me monthly newsetters.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fred herbert

our club ama sancaiton, decided to stop our news letter 1 year ago and go web site, now we have no news letter and web site has not been updated for almost 1 year,good excuse not to pay my dues . i want to see the minutes from all the meetings. oh its on state property , and with ama card i will fly there as a tax payer
I think this can be a two-edged sword. I cannot help but have thoughts on both sides of these issues. If club dues are high then what is included - a newsletter, web site, cook-outs, flyers (the paper kind), etc.? Some have every right to complain and others have no right because it all depends on what the guidelines are that are set forth. This is the grey area.

I think our club dues are fairly high at $100.00 a year and yet, I still haved mowed grass many times and will occassionally help with other things if needed. However, that is my nature and I would do that for anybody that I am involved with. Does that mean that I should be doing these things under the $100.00 per year fee, well not totally. Sometimes it angers me because it does not seem right.

There are many variables in what is to be included in club dues. I have done web sites and newsletters for other organizations for various activities and maintenance on either of them is not a big deal at all. I even offered to work with our web site and somehow I think it may have been hard for those involved to "give that up" (for lack of a better term). I don't know this to be true, but my thoughts went in this direction and maybe totally unwarranted.

There are times when I am disappointed with the "upkeep" of our web site because I think it should be included in club dues although I did not read, nor was I told, in our guidelines that a web site was to be kept up or we would have a newsletter. I do like having them and think it makes a club so much more "professional" and up-to-date. I just thought those things were to be a part of any normal organization.

I really don't think the price for our club is too high when you consider all that is involved in my area to rent land and keep up with all the things needed to keep a club going. Our treasurer is "spot on" with finance reports, nothing is hidden, and I really appreciate that. Just knowing your club's finances can really put you at ease understanding club dues.

It ain't the end of the world for me, but sometimes does frustrate me at times. I don't have time to be more involved so I am pleased with just paying the fee but I do wonder what is included. For me, it all boils down to the fact that my main thing is flying and pretty much nothing else. I really don't care much for all the activities and get-togethers although I don't mind having a couple people around to chat with at times.

I like to fly and don't mind flying alone one bit. As a matter of fact I love the solitude and focus/concentration I can put into flying. I often go by myself (one other person with me for safety) when no one is there, and fly, fly, fly. Bottom line for me - I joined the club so I would have somewhere to fly my planes. [8D]

Old 01-27-2010, 10:24 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Fred,
I think you need to fire the officers of the club-you know, get rid of them and do not pay them another dime.

How about getting off your own b*tt and help them find a solution for the website and newsletter-you could be part of the answer on this one-if you wanted to be.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:55 AM
koastrc

Well Brad,
It appears you have been down the old road. Thirty years ago our club had 100 or so members. Last meeting we had about 100 members. Of the original 100 there is about ten or twelve. Those ten or twelve have seen them come and go. My advice to all those that have a problem with their clubs. Run for office, Be Boss, show everyone how it should be done.
Glad you have taken a office in your club. It shows a bit of, do something.
Good luck pal
Old 01-29-2010, 10:44 AM
Telmaster
My Feedback: (106)

If your not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. People tell me that all they want to do is fly! It take a lot of time and someone's energy to make that happen! It's privilege to help where ever you can. "A formal association of people with similar interests" is the definition of a club. If you can, please do your part.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 AM
KidEpoxy

When you only get like 10-15% of folks bothering to mail in an ama ballot,
that sends a pretty clear message that most folks really do just want to pay & fly,
nothing wrong with that
.... unless of course we consider that ~90% to be part of the problem
cause they just want to pay & fly without being involved in the solutions (bothering to even vote)

Its easy to demand folks be part of the solution,
the trick is to not mention the requirements to become a Leader member
Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 AM
bradpaul

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

that sends a pretty clear message that most folks really do just want to pay & fly,
nothing wrong with that
cause they just want to pay & fly without being involved in the solutions (bothering to even vote)

Actually the OP just want's to fly and NOT pay.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:54 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: bradpaul

Actually the OP just want's to fly and NOT pay.
It would be nice if there was some organization that was promoting our hobby as a worthwhile activity on public lands...You know, where citizens could just show up and enjoy the park and fly their models...I think that would be good...but I guess someone will point out how bad that would be...probably cause the demise of model aviation or something like that.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: KidEpoxy

nothing wrong with that

I agree KE that if all you want to do is pay your dues and fly then you should be able to. But if your going to complain about how the system isn't working for you instead of doing something to improve it then that's just Chicken $#!&. Sounds like the OP's probably got a personal gripe with the leadership and is venting it here with his, "I'm taking my ball and going home" self vindication.

I for one do not need a news letter or a website to feel I'm getting my moneys worth at my club. A road grader and an asphault truck maybey but more than anything I just like to fly with my freinds and sit around BS'ing the rest of time.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Archie League

We just mentioned discussing dropping the paper news letter for an electronic one and one of our older, "Burke Society" type loons went haywire. You wouldn't believe the string of disassociated rationals he had why this couldn't be done.

But here is the rub. This guy volunteers for everything and runs for someoffice every year. But he is such a wack job that nobody trust him. He complains constantly and volunteers constantly. But we all know he would drive the bus off a cliff if given a chance. What do you do with one of these guys ?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:32 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Archie League

What do you do with one of these guys ?
Call a vote on whether or not to renew his membership.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:12 PM
bkdavy

Try to find something he can do without killing everyone on the bus.

Brad
Old 01-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Let him mow the field...
Old 01-29-2010, 07:55 PM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: Woody218-RCU

Let him mow the field...
Now that's funny...and a measure put to good use more often than can be imagined...for real...
Old 01-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Call a vote on whether or not to renew his membership.

Maybe it's because he is a Life Member.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: bkdavy

Try to find something he can do without killing everyone on the bus.

Brad
Maybe he was against a new bunch of officers with absolutely ZERO experience calling for a vote on something that was against club Bylaws and those few in the meeting are too uninformed to even discuss the situation.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Hossfly

Let him mow the field...
Maybe that would upset the club even more so because the club has contracted mowing which no one wants to change. It might be extremely difficult to MAKE him mow grass
Old 01-29-2010, 11:29 PM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf
Let him mow the field...
Now that's funny...and a measure put to good use more often than can be imagined...for real...
Maybe he would be doing most of the laughing. [sm=48_48.gif]
Old 01-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Hossfly

//SNIP// But we all know he would drive the bus off a cliff if given a chance. What do you do with one of these guys ?

Right now your main concern is to NOT ever get in front of the bus!!!!!! [sm=devious.gif]
Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 PM
timcat26

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Let him mow the field...
Maybe that would upset the club even more so because the club has contracted mowing which no one wants to change. It might be extremely difficult to MAKE him mow grass
Our club had an arrangement like this....turns out it was one of the Officers and his Son that had the contract. For $300.00 a month. When the County already mowed it for us weekly. For 8 years. Is this the kind of arrangement you're referring to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.