Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

A few newb ?'s

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

A few newb ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 05:43 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few newb ?'s

A few newbee questions:

(not a newbee to flying or modeling but to innerworkings of AMA)

When chartering a new club Iknow you have to have a safety officer but what other (and how many) offices are REQUIRED?

Also, I know you have to have at least 5 members to charter but how do you set a MAXIMUM member limit as far as the AMA is concerned? Or is that done within your own club and you just notify the AMA "hey, we set a max membership of x?"

And lastly, (as far as AMA is concerned) is it possible for a club to only allow certain kinds of models to be flown at their club site?

Thanks in advance!

Smitty

Old 02-12-2010, 09:37 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts
Default RE: A few newb ?'s

ORIGINAL: smitty1001

A few newbee questions:

(not a newbee to flying or modeling but to innerworkings of AMA) [img][/img]

When chartering a new club I know you have to have a safety officer but what other (and how many) offices are REQUIRED?

your club by laws would spell out that requirement for you. most have pres, VP, and sec treasurer in addition to the SO. there are sample by laws you can adapt in the ama PDF section

Also, I know you have to have at least 5 members to charter but how do you set a MAXIMUM member limit as far as the AMA is concerned? Or is that done within your own club and you just notify the AMA ''hey, we set a max membership of x?''

again, your club by laws would define any max member number. i don't think AMA even cares about your max limit.

And lastly, (as far as AMA is concerned) is it possible for a club to only allow certain kinds of models to be flown at their club site?

yes, that would be defined in your club by laws.

are ya seeing a trend here?

Thanks in advance!

Smitty

good luck,

mongo
Old 02-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Silent-AV8R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When chartering a new club I know you have to have a safety officer but what other (and how many) offices are REQUIRED?

Here is the link to the Club Charter Package
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/915.pdf

The AMA site also has a boilerplate document of bylaws for you to use and many other informational documents as well.

Here are the requirements set forth in that package:

The following MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS MUST be met in order for your group to become (or continue to be) an AMA Chartered Club:

1) Your group MUST consist of five (5) or more current AMA members;

2) At least three (3) of the members MUST be over 19 years of age;

3) A minimum of three (3) current adult members (19 years or older) MUST be named as officers of the club, one (1) officer being Safety
Coordinator with access to E-mail. Three-month trial members cannot hold an officer position;

4) Each and every club officer MUST be a current AMA member.

5) Each and every member of the club who participates in club flying activities MUST [per the AMA Bylaws, Article III, Section
2.(b)] be an AMA member of Junior, Senior, Open, Three-Month Trial, Park Pilot, Affiliate, or is a current Model Aeronautics
Association of Canada (MAAC) member. An Affiliate or MAAC member may not be an officer of the club.

6) The majority of club activities relates to the building and flying of model aircraft, and its organizational operation is on local (such as
city, town, village, county) versus regional or national level.

7) To charter for 2009, your club must have a current set of bylaws on file that are in compliance with the AMA minimum standard.

8) Provide latitude/longitude for flying site(s) regardless if additional insurance is required.

9) Safety coordinator must have access to e-mail.
Also, I know you have to have at least 5 members to charter but how do you set a MAXIMUM member limit as far as the AMA is concerned? Or is that done within your own club and you just notify the AMA ''hey, we set a max membership of x?''
That is done in your club bylaws and there is no requirement to notify AMA when you set one, when you change, or if you have or do not have a limit.

Absolutely. There are all kinds of clubs that limit what can be flown. My club does not allow turbines due to our landowner being worried about fires. There are heli only clubs, electric only clubs, glider only clubs, and so on.

What you cannot do under any circumstances is limit membership based on the Federally defined discrimination standards such as race, ethnicity, religion, gender, etc. But if you want to have a rule that says everyone must wear pink tu-tus while flying, then that is fine.
Old 02-12-2010, 11:07 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smitty

Seems everything else is pretty well defined for you, however one point may need another few words. If your club wishes to be a "Leader Club" - AMA Document 708 Leader Club Award Application - you are restricted from having a limit on the number of club members.
However that restriction is one in a list of six rules that a DVP can waive one of. So there is a way out of that major restriction.

Best to get the document and refer to it. Same for all activities.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:55 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill,

The thought of you in your pink tu-tu flying uniform is not a pretty thought.........:>)
Old 04-16-2010, 11:35 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

snip...

Also, I know you have to have at least 5 members to charter but how do you set a MAXIMUM member limit as far as the AMA is concerned? Or is that done within your own club and you just notify the AMA "hey, we set a max membership of x?"

Thanks in advance!

Smitty

In many cases the restrictions as to what can be flown, or how many members can be in the club are done to conform to the landowner's requirements. Our land lord does not allow any form of fuel planes and electrics must be small and quiet. So no glow, no jets and no screaming electrics. We are primarily a glider club so these restrictions are compatible with what we fly.