Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA & Airshows??

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA & Airshows??

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 04:24 PM
carden cap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA & Airshows??

Anyone out there do any demos at full scale airshows? I fly in one every year here in town and have a great time doing it. For those that do, are you seeing more hoops that you have to jump through to fly at them now a days? The AMA is a great organization for our hobby but I just have one complaint about them. This year the airshow is requiring me to get an "additional insured" letter from the AMA. No problem I thought to myself so I call up the AMA. I'm told I have to be a club member and I have to get an officer of the club to sign the "additional insured" form and that letter is going to cost $20. Why do I have to pay extra? This should come with our membership since the AMA does promote elligible pilots to fly at full scale airshows. I dont belong to a club because the field I fly at does not have a "club" membership nor is a club. Mac just graciously lets anyone fly there whenever they want. I guess all the money I spend in the shop are my "club dues" But now I'm stuck to try and find a club to join and hastle the officer to sign my documents. Why doesnt the AMA let individuals get the same items as a "club" member? I do understand promoting your local flying club but why the extra step? I just dont get it. I am going to comply with their rules and join a club so I can fly at this event. But I just had the question of "why"?
Old 03-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: AMA & Airshows??

Did you place the same question at the AMA Forum on THEIR website? I am interested of the response as I also participate in Full Scale Airshows but I do it with the "sponsorship" of a club. It is not my club but the organizer calls me up to participate.

[link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/forums/default.aspx]Link to AMA Forum[/link]

Rafael
Old 03-12-2010, 05:15 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

Perhaps the Insurance people at the AMA can explain it better, however, our Club puts on a demo every year at the Local Full Scale AirShow, I serve as the Co-ordinator for our participation and secure that Additional Insurance; from what I understand, the insurance is not so much for yourself, but Insurance for the Organization putting on the Airshow in the event you cause damage or incur some liability, so they would not have to be responsible for, or finacially liable for; and covers yourself on those premises if you were to have a mishap, our insurance we have with our AMA membership covers you when you fly at an AMA Santioned Field or event, and flying at your Club or another Chartered Club. Further, the AMA Insurance is extended to AMA Members in good standing and further to that, the AMA provides Insurance to individual Clubs that are AMA CHartered and in good standing

Again, I could be wrong, but thats the way I understand it, and I have to agree that additional Insurance is needed when you fly at a Full Size Air Show, because basically our individual Insurance that comes with your membership does not cover this, and the AMA Insurance only covers its members, not persons flying without AMA Membership.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:18 PM
BMW325Ci
My Feedback: (1)

No, the AMA does cover you at Airshows, it specifically says it on the front page at the bottom of the letter that was sent with the new membership. Either way you cut it whether you have the "Additional Insured" AMA is still a secondary insurance. If anything happens the primary insurance is hit first (the airshows insurance) and then if that is exhausted then the AMA insurance kicks in.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:34 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The so-called "additional insurance" is to insure the air-show organization like a club can provide insurance for its site-owner. That is a primary insurance for the sponsoring organization, not the individual AMA member.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:44 AM
KidEpoxy

Members get liability insurance to handle liabilities against the member,
CLUBS get site insurance to take care of liabilities against the landowner/operator.

Wherever a member flies, if HE gets sued the AMA insurance is applicable within its restrictions,
but without the CLUBS Site insurance the landowner has no AMA protection:

If you dork a PF into someones car in the Walmart parking lot-
When they try to sue Walmart going for their DeepPockets, and AMA wont protect walmart.
But if they sued the pilot then the pilots AMA insurance will apply.

The way to have walmart covered by AMA landowner insurance is:
Form a AMA club that walmart permits to fly in their parking lot,
and have the club get a site insurance cert for walmart
.... now there is AMA insurance for when either the pilot, club, or walmart get sued

Thats the theory work,
where is the practical exercise:

Problem: You want/need a site insurance cert for your airshow activity, but that takes a club.
Solution: Contact LittleCrankshaf here about joining the TUFF club($0 dues $0 initiation) and having TUFF get the cert for your site.

Not all clubs are a hassle or expensive.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:48 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

try this;
apply for a class c restricted sanction for the airshow flying demo, sanctions can be issued to individuals. then you can get that additional insured ins cert for the folks that need it.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 PM
BMW325Ci
My Feedback: (1)

Was hoping someone from the AMA would chime in here since this is the "AMA Discussion" section.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: BMW325Ci

Was hoping someone from the AMA would chime in here since this is the ''AMA Discussion'' section.
Staff and/or the EC rarely posts on RCU. As suggested above you can go to the actual AMA Forums on the official AMA website and stand a much better chance of a direct answer.

But the information you have gotten above is correct. Repeated just once more below:

1) Only clubs can get insurance for site owners. Just the way it is. That insurance is primary for the site owner.

2) If you obtain a sanction you can get event insurance, essentially one-time site owner, for that event.

3) Your insurance coverage as an individual member only covers you for your liability and does nothing for the site owner.

As far as the fees, that seems so small that I am not sure why it is an issue. Even my insurance for my company will charge a fee for issuing an additionally insured certificate after I exceed a certain limit. It is usually about $25.

You can also email Iilona Maine directly at: ilonam-at-modelaircraft.org replace the -at- with @ Or call the AMA and ask to speak to her.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:11 PM
rick b

Can anyone tell me where i can find out about R/C air shows in my area please. Thanks
Old 03-15-2010, 10:49 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: rick b

Can anyone tell me where i can find out about R/C air shows in my area please. Thanks
You have to be a member of the Airshow team to know where you are flying...LOL Just poking a little fun at a very good question that I hope someone will answer.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:40 PM
carden cap

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: rick b

You have to be a member of the Airshow team to know where you are flying...LOL Just poking a little fun at a very good question that I hope someone will answer.
Maybe if this was a thread about "where to find R/C Airshows" you might find where some are.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:17 PM
cj_rumley

You can try [link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/events/calendar.aspx]HERE.[/link]