Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA District X Special Election

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA District X Special Election

Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Tarasdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA District X Special Election

As a member of the AMAliving in District X I, for one, would gladly welcome the opportunity to have the DVP or an AVPtake time from their busy schedules to come to my club field or meeting. If they choose to request reimbursment for that trave, fine by me. The fact that this seems to be the exception rather than the rule shows me that the people who serve in these offices are persons of integrity and honor. Thank you. I hope such practices continue in the future.

That being said, there are some major concerns I have for this hobby, which Ihave just re-entered after a 15 year layoff. Primary among those is the acquisition and retention of club flying sites. When I was a member of a club in Texas we faced the problem of finding a new field site 3 times in just over 2 years. Various reasons were given to us for forcing our move, but they all eventually came down to urban expansion and developer money. What will the candidates for Dist. X VP do to ensure that the same thing doesn't happen to clubs here?

Another issue for me is actually the AMA HQ/NFS in Muncie. I don't foresee myself ever getting to Muncie to enjoy the site, although that could change. Now I hear of the potential (however small) of a "West Coast Flying Site" to supplement the Muncie site. As much as that idea intrigues me, what would be the true advantages to me, as an AMAmember in general, be of such a site?How would it be funded?Personally I don't see the logic or the fairness in requiring the entire AMA general membership to foot such a bill, so how would you propose that the funds be raised from within District X? If such a site as a second "national" site isn't feasible, how would these same questions be answered regarding so-called "Regional" sites? While such plans are, as I said, very intriguing there are many questions that would have to be answere before I could unreservedly support them.

The area where Ilive is literally covered with restricted airspace, notably around Edwards AFB. How will the candidates work to ensure that my ability to continue enjoying a hobby I really do love will be unaffected, or as minimally as possible?

There are many other areas where I have questions, but those will suffice for now.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:56 PM
rcplane-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Hi Tarasdad

Nobody can guarantee a club's field won't be moved. Nobody has that power. The best we can do is make our clubs a value to our communities, make them be known as good neighbors, good members of society. We can do this by supporting various agencies like the Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, offering to fly for assisted living residences (they will drive them out in a bus in most cases), helping work at the county fair or helping kids at schools with the AMA's Aero Lab program.......the ways are limitless. The point is, that clubs that are a real value to their communities are more likely to be spared by their city, state or whatever landlord. If possible those will also be helped when finding a new site is necessary.
I have clubs in District X I have been in contact with recently on both sides of this fence. One did basically nothing in its past....they have no new home. Another was involved, held TAG type events and much more and their city found them a new place to fly and paved their runway! I have written articles about this type of thing before, and in the District X newsletter, and I have been gathering information from successful clubs to develop a database of these circumstances so I can pass them onto new clubs or any club that wants to change its image.

In my opinion there will never be a "West Coast Flying site". There are a few dozen reasons but let’s just look at a small few.
Why, who would it be fair to? Not any other districts members that's for sure. Not even all district X would benefit. If it was in so-cal, what good does that do a UTAH modeler or northern NV, Hawaii, even northern California, thats hundreds of miles.
Also....If we make a West Coast flying site, then why not a southern United States flying site, or a Northern United States Flying site, you see my meaning.
Muncie had to be somewhere. We had to have an office, now we have a wonderful, office, museum, and the heritage of our hobby is being protected there. Land there is less than most areas as well. I would guess if you looked at the overall flying population its in a geographically good location. But the point is we had to have a heaquarters, not 2 or 3 or 4.
Money. There is no money to go buying a huge hunk of California (or any other state for that matter), or event to build a huge site if all we were doing was the building. We have a shrinking membership. I think that should be where any real money is spent. Lets help our shrinking membership grow, which makes us stronger when time comes to work with the FAA or any government agencies we may deal with. I surely wouldn't vote to spend money on a frivolous project when it wouldn't do anything for 90% of the membership, and I would hope you wouldn't want me to.

As far as restricted airspace. The AMA is already doing everything it can with the FAA. The best, smartest, and most experienced people are working on it every day. The FAA has rules we have to follow. This is NOT, I will do it my way and present it to the FAA type of deal, they tell you and you comply as best possible. We are working with them to make the best outcome for all. All District Vice Presidents are involved in a wide variety of these meetings, making decisions on subjects as necessary.

I hope this has answered some of your questions.

Michael Brown
District X Vice President
Old 06-08-2010, 09:20 AM
ltougas

Dear Tarasdad,

Welcome to our discussion, and welcome back to modeling. When I ran in last year’s District X Election I had three key issues, field acquisition and retention, improving District X’s use of the internet to serve our members, and my long term goal of obtaining an AMA West flying site. These continue to be my top priorities.

I listed site acquisition and retention as number 1 because without it we have nothing. My ideas about helping clubs in this area revolve around being proactive. I believe the most important Officer in a club is not the President or Treasurer, but the Community Relations Officer. If your club doesn’t have one you should seriously consider electing one. This position would be responsible for your clubs dealings with your neighbors and if you’re on public land the entity that controls it or on private land your landlord.

This puts one name and number in place for your neighbors to contact if they have concerns. This person could organize your Community Appreciation day. One club in District X the Livermore Flying Electrons goes around the surrounding neighborhood knocking on doors and leaving fliers inviting their neighbors to join them at their field. While there they serve a free lunch and provide demonstrations as well as opportunities to try flying on a buddy box and simulators. The LFE’s have reported to me the great success they’ve had because they got out knocked on doors and made the first move to introduce themselves.

The Community Relations Officer would issue press releases to alert your news outlets of the positive actions your club has accomplished and events the public can attend. Recently the Trabuco RC Flyers in Orange County California had a community day and it was covered both before the event and after the event by the Orange County Register. This is a Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper that is one of the most significant in Southern California. The reason they were covered was because they made it a priority and they kept in constant contact with a reporter at the paper, their hard work paid off.

Perhaps the most important thing your Community Relations Officer would do is maintain the club’s relationship with your public officials that control your land or a landlord on private land. Today is Election Day. In many parts of our District the Decision makers that control your field are up for election. Club can do several things to take advantage of the opportunities that this presents. Many times we feel that the only thing that we can offer a candidate is money, while it is true that money talks we also have a valuable resource, manpower. Running a local campaign takes a lot of volunteer manpower and we should be aligning ourselves with candidates that are friendly to our cause and help elect them. They need people to put up signs, go door to door asking for votes and leaving literature and manning phone banks calling voters and selling the candidate. If your club can deliver that kind of help the Official will remember it and take your call when you need to talk to them and be sympathetic to you when others raise issues about your field.

Many clubs run fund raisers, why not choose a charity that is important to your public officials or landlord and involve them in the pictures and press releases detailing the money raised or help provided. If we are going to help our community we should double up by selecting a beneficiary that our field’s decision makers support.

Simply find out the Birthdays of these decision makers and acknowledge them with a card from the club.

I have a lot of ideas in this area and it is one of the reasons I want to move event coverage from our column in the magazine to the internet and use that space to discuss the techniques that clubs have found successful to protect their fields.

I support a west coast flying site because as AMA members we deserve a place we can gather to compete and share in our fellowship and love of our sport. Currently the District X members send $1,500,000 per year in dues to Muncie, of that amount less than $20,000 is returned for direct use in our District. You asked how we could fund it; it looks to me like we already are raising a good amount of money now. This is a good time to make an investment in a capital asset that will appreciate over time and bring a tremendous benefit to our members.

Finally I want to touch on the FAA rulemaking that has the potential to affect our sport. This is a critical time for modelers; we need to marshal all of our assets to respond to the upcoming FAA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM). As an Aeronautical Engineer a significant part of my job is responding to NPRM’s, we need to be prepared to demonstrate to the FAA that any alternate rules we proposed will provide the same or higher level of safety than the wording in the NPRM. I do not believe the FAA has any desire to harm modeling, in fact I’m sure a higher than average percentage of FAA staff have been or are modelers themselves, but we need to be ready to respond.

If you would like to learn more about me please see my [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/]website[/link].

Sincerely
Lawrence Tougas
Candidate for AMA District X Vice-President
http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/
Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: rcplane-RCU

I hope this has answered some of your questions.

Michael Brown
District X Vice President

Unbelievable!

How could you possibly come into this forum and give such a well thought out and respectful response...ya know, being an AMA official you must have been admonished by the usual "anti-RCU gang" that merely posting here is certain suicide. Guys like you and Dave M. must have a death wish to risk yourself by posting here...

Anyway, I'd like to say your response made great sense and probably gave most of us here something to truly consider. Although I am in another district and can't vote for you, at this point you certainly have my support....Not just because you can apparently see past all the BS rhetoric and post here, as does the other very admirable candidate but mainly because what you say makes real sense...

The AMA needs more guys like you and Lawrence.
Old 06-09-2010, 02:16 AM
Tarasdad

Mike and Larry, I want to thank both of you for your answers to my questions. They have both given me a lot to think about - and brought up another big question.

Quite simply put, without members all else is moot. What are your thoughts on stopping the decline in AMAmembership? For reversing the trend?What should the AMA be doing to promote itself and attract and retain new members?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:01 AM
ltougas

Dear Tarasdad,

I've been giving the issue of declining membership some serious thought. You're quite right that without a healthy growing membership our organization is headed for trouble.

There are two things I've been thinking of to increase membership.

The first idea comes from a local hobby shop owner, he thinks we need to have a national learn to fly day. This is a day that is promoted to the public and one in which the AMA, the industry, chartered clubs, and local hobby shops partner. We start by convincing a model manufacturer to offer a discount on an electric all in one kit that is plane, radio, motor, battery, and charger. It could have a sticker on the front of it promoting the learn to fly day, and more material inside. The chartered clubs that are participating hold an open house type of day where plenty of instructors are on hand. The AMA, and the chartered clubs offer some type on incentive to join right on the spot, your participating LHS is on-site selling the designated plane at a promotional price. What this does is make it as easy as possible for the new member to join while creating an incentive to make a commitment that day. Instructors are right there, discounts to join the club and AMA are available that day only and the plane is right there at the field available at a one day discount. As your District VP I'd be very excited to prototype this idea in District X to judge its success prior to rolling it out nationwide.

The next idea involves partnering with an aviation entity that has a greater name recognition with the Public than the AMA. My dream partner would be the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. AMA's strength is our vast network of Chartered Clubs providing local contacts around the country. The Air and Space Museum has name recognition, and greater educational development skills. If we work with them to develop a curriculum that explains the science behind flight this curriculum could be made available to schools and civic organizations that work with children. They provide the advertising and educational development and we provide the hands on assistance.

I'm told that 75,000 people per day visit the Air and Space Museum on the Mall in Washington DC. Can you imagine the exposure modeling would get by having even a small space to exhibit this program, and the positive results that could be obtained.

Those are my top 2 ideas to increase membership, I'd be excited to hear others,

Lawrence Tougas

Old 06-09-2010, 09:06 AM
Silent-AV8R

Speaking of partnerships with recognized aviation entities:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2010/2010-05-27_ama.asp

http://www.eaa.org/apps/galleries/gallery.aspx?ID=301

AMA also had a booth at the AOPA national convention this year.

I know in the past that the AMA has also attended the annual EAA Fly-in at Oshkosh. Lots of exposure there!!
Old 06-09-2010, 09:27 AM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ltougas

Dear Tarasdad,

<snip>

Currently the District X members send $1,500,000 per year in dues to Muncie, of that amount less than $20,000 is returned for direct use in our District.

<snip>

Sincerely
Lawrence Tougas

Well, No. Some of that $1.5M goes to support the AMA Convention which thousands of Dist X members attended and got some direct benefit from. Some of that $1.5M goes to support Field Improvement Grants and Dist X clubs have traditionally benefited greatly from the Field Improvement Grants program. Some of that $1.5M goes to support the ongoing FAA SUAS rules making effort which will benefit Dist X members disproportionally since many of the SUAS developers and users are in Dist X. Some of that $1.5M goes to support educational programs such as TAG, Aerolab, which has benefited many Dist X schools and members. Some of that $1.5M goes to support modeler/aviation recognition programs like Fellowship, Hall of Fame, of which Dist X has a large showing of noted and recognized modelers.

I find it very difficult to take seriously any candidate for national office who shows such poor understanding of national programs and national level support.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Hossfly

Well, just Dad-Burn and Doggone it, Silent AV8R, you stole my thunder. I was just going to open a new thread with the first link. However I am glad I found your post first as I did not have the 2nd link. That is just fabulous.

IMO, this is one of the most positive things that AMA has accomplished in the many years I have been an active AMAer, ranking right up there, and with site-owner insurance and obtaining the 50 72 MHz. airplane frequencies.

Just maybe this is the start of AMA, just maybe, thinking on a proposed concept of a couple years ago where AMA would reorganize following EAA's set-ups. It certainly makes my day for today.

Maybe you could start a new thread with all the info. Folks need to see just what can be done, has been done, and with the future technology, there is no foreseeable end to where this first step could take AMA and the sport/hobby of aeromodeling.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:57 AM
ltougas

Jerry,
I believe you've misunderstood my point. I used the term, "direct use in our District". You've listed programs that as you've correctly stated are at the National level, none of which are for the exclusive use of our District which was my point. All of the programs you've mentioned are of value they are simply not District specific.

Lawrence Tougas
[link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/]http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/[/link]http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/
Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 AM
ltougas

Bill,
I agree the partnership with the EAA and our relationship with AOPA are good things. I've been a member of both organizations and they are adding value to the AMA.

Lawrence Tougas
[link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/]http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/[/link]
Old 06-09-2010, 10:16 AM
Silent-AV8R

The attached photo is District X AVP Darwin Barrie in a Ford ad in the EAA magazine. That is his car and plane (RV-7). He mention RC in the text
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Sq48141.pdf (263.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-09-2010, 10:18 AM
littlecrankshaf

Jerry,
I believe you've misunderstood my point. I used the term, ''direct use in our District''. You've listed programs that as you've correctly stated are at the National level, none of which are for the exclusive use of our District which was my point.

Lawrence Tougas
[link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/]http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/[/link]http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/
FWIW Your points seem valid to me.

Just don't understand why you are constantly being attacked by so many here...is it just the old guard????don't know...but if it is some kind of smear campaign that would certainly be enough to make a change IMO.

For someone to come in here and proclaim "I find it very difficult to take seriously any candidate for national office who shows such poor understanding of national programs and national level support".to counter your points about your district's direct use support or programs is certainly cause for concern and the need for a reality check... Sorry, but the previous exchange initiated by 3nfo just reeked of GOB doo IMO.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:19 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Hossfly

Well, just Dad-Burn and Doggone it, Silent AV8R, you stole my thunder. I was just going to open a new thread with the first link. However I am glad I found your post first as I did not have the 2nd link. That is just fabulous.
Sorry Hoss, but it seemed to fit here perfectly!!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:58 PM
ltougas

I've updated my website with pictures from last weekend's Jerry Ortega Scale Fly-In. It was organized by the Scale Squadron of Southern California which did a fantastic job putting on a first rate event. The update is [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2010/06/scale-squadron-puts-on-winner.html]here[/link].

This weekend I will travel to Salt Lake City to attend the UTE R/C Association's Electric Fly-In at the Jordon Model Port. I have links to the event and a map to the field on my [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2010/06/salt-lake-city-event.html]website[/link].

I've been traveling every weekend because I'm trying to meet as many District X members as possible. I want to give them a chance to meet me and ask questions in order to cast a well informed vote.

Lawrence Tougas
Old 06-10-2010, 09:11 AM
TimJ

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Jerry,
I believe you've misunderstood my point. I used the term, ''direct use in our District''. You've listed programs that as you've correctly stated are at the National level, none of which are for the exclusive use of our District which was my point.

Lawrence Tougas
FWIW Your points seem valid to me.

Just don't understand why you are constantly being attacked by so many here...is it just the old guard????don't know...but if it is some kind of smear campaign that would certainly be enough to make a change IMO.

For someone to come in here and proclaim ''I find it very difficult to take seriously any candidate for national office who shows such poor understanding of national programs and national level support''.to counter your points about your district's direct use support or programs is certainly cause for concern and the need for a reality check... Sorry, but the previous exchange initiated by 3nfo just reeked of GOB doo IMO.

Agreed.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Silent-AV8R

I hope that people are not confusing asking questions about a candidate's positions as "attacking" them.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:26 PM
s3nfo
My Feedback: (14)

Jerry,
I believe you've misunderstood my point. I used the term, ''direct use in our District''. You've listed programs that as you've correctly stated are at the National level, none of which are for the exclusive use of our District which was my point. All of the programs you've mentioned are of value they are simply not District specific.

Lawrence Tougas
Don't believe I've misunderstood at all, just disagree about what constitutes "direct benefit".
When the Chula Vista club here in San Diego gets their check from the AMA Grants Program, that's money from a national program going "directly" to a club in Dist X paid for with the $1.5M dues Dist X members paid for the Dist X clubs "direct" use. I don't agree that just because it's a national program that money spent here should not be counted as "direct" support. Dist X members receive considerably more than the $20,000 in "direct" support for their $1.5M in dues spent than your original post would lead readers to believe, and since this is a campaign thread, specifically targeted toward leading members to the conclusion that a fair portion of their dues are not being spent in their District, members should have the full picture, not a skewed representation of where their dues money is spent.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM
ltougas

Jerry,
I understand your point, I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree.

My comment was originally in response to how we can pay for a West Coast AMA flying site. It’s important to remember the past efforts in this area. When this was last pursued there was support for it at the national level through the Executive Council. The need is still present so if it was a good idea then it’s still a good idea. I believe if we study the past effort and build on it we can successfully complete this project.

I’m very excited about this goal and as your District X Vice-President I will work very hard to achieve it.

Lawrence Tougas
Candidate for AMA District X Vice President
Old 06-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Silent-AV8R

District X already has an existing facility that comes fairly close to being a District flying site. The TIMPA field outside of Tucson, Arizona.

http://www.timpa.org/
Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 PM
TimJ

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

District X already has an existing facility that comes fairly close to being a District flying site. The TIMPA field outside of Tucson, Arizona.

AV8R you almost make it sound like there is an existing District X facility. There isn't one at this time. Although the field you have pointed out does look like a prime candidate for a District Facility, not just for flying, but a meeting hall, and other things. The idea is to have a place members is district X can goto for all modes of model flight. Simular to the Muncie home base field, but may be not as large.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: TimJ

AV8R you almost make it sound like there is an existing District X facility. There isn't one at this time. Although the field you have pointed out does look like a prime candidate for a District Facility, not just for flying, but a meeting hall, and other things. The idea is to have a place members is district X can goto for all modes of model flight. Simular to the Muncie home base field, but may be not as large.

Well, no, I did not. I simply stated that operationally the TIMPA site is run similar to what a District site would be run like. It has hosted numerous large events (Tucson Aerobatic Shootout for instance) and is a great facility.

So the question is, what would a "dedicated" District site do that the TIMPA site does not?
Old 06-10-2010, 06:43 PM
Tarasdad

While the idea of providing funds based on District contribution may sound like a good idea I feel it's more the tip of a VERY slippery slope. What's to stop the states within a District from demanding funds distribution on the same basis? After all, if a state contributes 90% of the District's membership dues, why shouldn't that state get 90% of the money coming back into the district? Heck, let's break it down farther and compare which counties within said state provide the most dues!

Same goes with "regional" flying sites. No matter where you choose to put such a site there will always be members for whom it will be next to useless due to distance. Might as well start planning official state, county and city AMA flying sites right now. While I agree that the Muncie site is far too far from the vast majority of the membership to ever be visited (much less used) by them I also agree that the AMA has to have any HQ somewhere! I was able to visit the Renton, VA site once on vacation years ago, and while it was a nice place to visit I recall it being rather on the small side, and really not that "user friendly" so to speak.

Guess what I'm saying is that I have some serious reservations about starting down any path that has the potential for so many pitfalls.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:04 PM
TimJ

So the question is, what would a ''dedicated'' District site do that the TIMPA site does not?

ORIGINAL: TimJ

check bold.

Tarasdad that is an interesting thought.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:26 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

I also agree that the AMA has to have any HQ somewhere!
Sure, no argument there...but why have such an expansive flying site??? and all the expenses associated with it???Just playing devils advocate...OK...please don't get bent...

A modest office complex and museum would be enough, I would think...as it stands now it has become a "exclusive but lavish free club" that only a few can enjoy on a regular basis...Yes, there are a number of “the privileged” that have moved there to "take advantage of the system"...LOL... inside Joke...

There are many of us that would prefer the NATS and other events to “travel”...For many of us it seems we have been inconvenienced if not totally excluded for the convenience of a few...and worse yet, at our/everyone's expense...but that is just another viewpoint to consider...If you care...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.