Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA District X Special Election

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

AMA District X Special Election

Old 06-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Tarasdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA District X Special Election

The question I would ask there is how much more would it cost the AMA to have those events move from place to place each year? If it's not a significant expenditure I'd tend to agree with you. Doesn't really affect me since there are very few events I'd travel to attend anyway, and those are generally very close to home. Still, I can see where you're coming from and can easily sympathize.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:47 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: ltougas

I believe if we study the past effort and build on it we can successfully complete this project.

I’m very excited about this goal and as your District X Vice-President I will work very hard to achieve it.

Lawrence Tougas

Thank you Mr. Brown and Mr. Tougas This thread has been great and enabled me to make a considered choice. This special election has indeed been turned into a some sort of national flying site issue and I cannot vote for any candidate who carries such an agenda.

John
Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 AM
ltougas

Tarasdad,
I want to respond to your post regarding a slippery slope and having 1 Western United States Flying Site create a demand for many more.

I understand your concern; let me tell you my thoughts. If we set a criteria that, say 75% of a District’s membership should be within a 2 day drive of an AMA owned facility, and we define a 2 days drive as 10 hours each day, certainly long but doable let’s take a look at what we have now.

Using Google maps with Muncie as our destination here are the drive time between various cities in Districts I-IX. Starting with Denver and moving around the map clockwise we have Denver at 18:46, Rapid City SD. 18:12, Bismarck ND.17:55, Minneapolis, MN. 11:19, Milwaukee, WI. 5:48, Detroit, MI. 4:09, Buffalo, NY. 7:38, Boston, MA. 14:44, Bangor, ME. 18:21, Philadelphia, PA. 10:29, Greenville, NC. 11:20, Charleston, SC. 11:57, Miami, FL.20:09, New Orleans, LA. 13:47, and Houston, TX. 18:13

Now let’s look at Districts X and XI. Starting at Tucson, AZ. 29:00, Phoenix, AZ. 29:00, San Diego, CA. 34:00, Los Angeles, CA. 34:00, Las Vegas, NV. 31:00, San Francisco, CA. 37:00, Eugene, OR. 38:00, Seattle, WA. 36:00, Billings, MT. 23:40, and Salt Lake City, UT. 25:00.

I have not decided where our AMA West flying site should be, in fact I’ve said before that a group of modelers working on the question taking into account geographic center of the district, population center of the district, a welcoming city, accommodations for visitors and more should be considered. That being said let’s compare the District X, and XI cities to the city chose last time this effort was pursued, Visalia, CA. The driving time from those same DX and XI cities to Visalia are, Tucson, AZ. 11:01, Phoenix, AZ. 9:04, San Diego, CA. 5:11, Los Angeles, CA. 3:13, Las Vegas, NV. 6:03, San Francisco, CA. 3:57, Eugene, OR. 11:02, Seattle, WA. 15:49,Billings, MT. 21:14, and Salt Lake City, UT. 12:34.

So you can see most of the Midwest, Eastern Seaboard, and South is within our definition of a 2 day drive to Muncie, while none of the cities in Districts X and XI are. With the addition of only one additional AMA site we can serve the members in these two Districts.

We would have a site available to host major competitions, a portion of the Nats, and large fun flys like the Joe Nall event. A site that will be a capital asset for the AMA and since land is at a 10 plus year low we should see long term appreciation of this asset. As I meet members on my visits around the District easily 9 out of 10 people find the idea of an AMA West site exciting, and something that they would support. As your District Vice President I think it is a worthy goal and one I will pursue.

Lawrence Tougas
Candidate for AMA District X Vice President
http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/
Old 06-11-2010, 09:41 AM
ltougas

Tarasdad,
We have been concentrating on the AMA West discussion, and seem to have lost track of your question on how to build membership in post 153, I gave two of my ideas in post 154 but I didn't see your response, what do you think? I'd also like to hear other members ideas on how to build our membership.

Lawrence Tougas
AMA 232
Old 06-11-2010, 10:41 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: ltougas

I'd also like to hear other members ideas on how to build our membership.

Lawrence Tougas
AMA 232
First off IMO our decline is due to many things but the very biggest reason is the fact we have become more concerned about the "membership" than the hobby. I think our concerns should be more about growing the hobby with the realization our membership numbers will take care of themselves if we do.

The decline we are experiencing now is the result of decades of actions/policies we have embraced for many years. Other than to belong to an AMA club and have the requisite insurance there isn't much else to justify an AMA membership for most of us....

We are no longer planting the seed of Model Aviation at a time it can germinate properly...our flying sites have become remote and exclusive to only the few of us left...even our national events exclude many of us AMAers by the shear distance to participate...

We continually give kudos to clubs that posses, even if adversely, public flying sites and exclude others based on "membership". There isn't any apparent incentive for clubs to promote "the hobby" in an urban setting...Matter of fact, if you attempt something like that you will find a stiff resentment...

I find no initiatives within the AMA to facilitate flying sites for anyone other than "the members"...how long will that work for us????

Bottom line; if we don't find more “real” ways to intrigue our kids early on we will likely go the way of the dinosaur...I have talked to many people over the years about how/when they first desired to be apart of model aviation and without fail the ones that are truly successful had the seed from as far back as they can remember...so, I submit, wasting time trying to get those that could be modelers to be modelers because they are old enough and have the disposable income is futile...we have to grow them...and like the sturdy Oak, it will take time.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:07 PM
DREAMER-RCU

In reguards to Tucson, AZ as a potential regional flying site:

TIMPA has use of 4 square miles of land and is a major R/C flying/contest site. AIAA, Shoot Out, Warbirds, Jet Rallies, Electric events

Silverbell Park (Cholla Choppers MAC) is a major control line flying/contest site. Vintage Stunt, Southwest Regionals

Southern AZ Rockets (TIMPA) has monthly big/high flying FAA clearance ones. National events

Southern AZ Free Flight (TIMPA). Boomer thermals

Indoor flying. We currently have the use of a local High school gym that is a very large basket ball court.

As with most flying sites, our Convention Center, Hotels, Motels, and other attractions are not located at our flying sites, but are near by.

In short, Tucson has what it takes.

Bob Reynolds
AMA L3006
AMA Fellow
AMA Distinguished Service Award
AMA Leader Member
AMA Contest Director
AMA District 10 AVP Emeritus
TIMPA Board of Directors (AMA Safety Officer)
Old 06-13-2010, 09:43 PM
cj_rumley

ORIGINAL: DREAMER-RCU

In reguards to Tucson, AZ as a potential regional flying site:
Bob,

I haven't been in your neighborhood for too many years - last time I was there it was for an R/C unlimited racing event, and TIMPA was in the planning stages - some visionary folks had on display their plans for what was then a dream. I am so pleased and impressed that it has become reality. It would be a fantastic regional flying site, and Tucson is a beautiful locale for it.
Gets my vote and I'll pound the tarmac to gin up support for the D-X candidate that seriously gets behind it.

Cletus

Old 06-17-2010, 08:31 AM
ltougas

Dear District X Members,

I want to let you know about a great event I was able to attend in Salt Lake City Utah. The UTE Radio Control Association had their annual electric fun fly last weekend. They put on a great show and I have written it up along with pictures [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2010/06/utes-electric-fun-fly.html]here[/link].

I have been out traveling the district meeting members for the last five weekends in a row. I've been to seven events and traveled over 3,800 miles in order to meet as many AMA members as possible. As your Vice-President I will continue to take advantage of the pass travel benefits I have as an airline employee to get around the district. I plan to get to all 5 states in our district and to as many club meetings as possible.

If you haven't had a chance to get to know me please check out my [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/]website[/link]. On the site I have information about my [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-background.html]background[/link], my [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-candidate-statement.html]candidate statement[/link], and the most [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2009/10/district-xs-top-eleven.html]frequently asked questions[/link] I get asked when I meet modelers. If you would like to be a campaign volunteer, and represent me at your club please let me know. I'm very excited about the opportunity to become your District Vice-President and with your help we'll make it happen.

Happy Landings,
Lawrence Tougas
Old 06-17-2010, 11:37 AM
Tarasdad

It's been a few days since I've been able to check back in here. Mr. Tougas, thank you for your responses. As for how to reverse the decline in membership I honestly have no answer. I'd have to do a lot of research to find the root causes first, then see what actions might be appropriate. I'm just afraid that one of the problems is the "instant gratification" attitude so prevalent in society these days. RC flying has very little of that, at least from the viewpoint of the video game generation.

That aside, one thing I recall from my previous years in RC is that every kit I purchased had an AMA application inside. Since I've gotten back into the hobby I have yet to see a single application in any of the aircraft I've looked at in my LHS. I don't recall seeing any promotional materials in the LHS at all, and it's one of the bigger ones in the area! This isn't the way I remember it from 15 years ago, when every hobby shop that carried RCplanes/helis had a pad of applications and posters promoting the AMA. It seems to me as if the AMA has stopped promoting itself to the hobbyist. This may just be my perspective, as I said I have been out of the hobby for over a decade.

I think littlecrankshaft also has a point. Again I'm unsure what the AMA can do to change that. All too many cities and towns have become so afraid of anything remotely even hinting of liability issues that I don't know what, if anything can be done to promote RCflight in more urban settings. Even when I was last in an RCclub it seemed that we were being forced farther and farther out into the boonies, either through land speculation or by regulation. I'm fortunate where I live now in having four clubs within less than an hour's drive, although one of those is in a county park with fairly severe restrictions on flight altitudes and distances. I know there are a lot of folks out there who are not so fortunate. What may be done for them is beyond me at this point.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
TimJ

Tarasdad, the AMA promo items, I fear may be in part of the hobby shop manager's / owner's responsibility to keep the app's in the store. As far as Promo items, I am not too sure what the AMA has available at this time for hobby shops. I remember when I was a hobby shop manager, I had to order new AMA forms every month or so, or I would photocopy new forms for the counter top display that AMA provided. Also, I would drill into the employees to make sure if they have a new pilot, to give them a form. May be the AMA needs to be more proactive to make sure that every hobby shop has an AMA presents? That would require a bit of a marketing budget.

To grow new members, may be start a program that would work with local schools. The best thing I have seen a manufacture do in this industry to help gain R/C pilots is the creation of the Park Zone brand from Horizon Hobby. The first Park Zone airplane was extremely simple, easy to fly and did not drain your pocket book. Through the evolution of Park Zone I think it brought in many R/C pilots who otherwise would have never tried. That product line could be a good asset to use with school programs. The same principal could be done on a human scale. Work with local schools to start clubs, or create some type of science course that teachers could use in their lesson plans............................................. .......
Old 06-21-2010, 02:42 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: TimJ

To grow new members, may be start a program that would work with local schools.
The AMA agrees!!

http://www.modelaircraft.org/education.aspx
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/e...on/AEROLAB.pdf

Old 06-21-2010, 03:00 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: TimJ

To grow new members, may be start a program that would work with local schools.
The AMA agrees!!

http://www.modelaircraft.org/education.aspx
http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/e...on/AEROLAB.pdf

Yep, associating model flying with school should be the fix we are looking for...good plan. When I look back and see how many in the hobby started via such programs it really convinces me of the value of these programs.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Silent-AV8R

I do not think that anyone feels that attracting younger people is the only way to grow and maintain membership, I think it is at least worth pursuing. I started in this hobby at age 11 after stumbling upon some guys flying in a vacant field near my house. So young people can be attracted and stay in the hobby.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
TimJ

With a little tweaking and care, the AMA program would help. With only 13 people of which only 3 seem to be in district 10, I can see how the program is not as wide spread as it could be.

There are so many different ways to try to recruit new pilots. This is only one asset that could be used.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:14 PM
littlecrankshaf

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

I started in this hobby at age 11 after stumbling upon some guys flying in a vacant field near my house.
A very similar experience for myself as well...I was much younger though and it was a public park...but the seed was planted essentially the same way...seems an invariable constant judging by the many I've talked to.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:35 AM
ltougas

District X Members,
I hope you all had a great Father's Day. I sure did. I was able to go flying with my Father, and my Children took good care of me. I reprinted a posting I made last year about my Father's influence on my interest in aviation. You can read about it [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2010/06/happy-fathers-day.html]here[/link].

I will be competing in the Fourth Annual Oakdale Pattern Contest in Oakdale California. I made a write-up about it in my blog [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2010/06/oakdale-pattern-contest.html]here[/link]. If you're in the area please stop by I'd love to meet you.

Happy Landings,
Lawrence Tougas
Candidate for AMA District X Vice-President
Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 AM
TimJ

Don't forget about the "baby boomers". In the next 3-4 years, we will have a large amount of "baby boomers" retiring, and they will be looking for something to do with their time. That could be a good opertunity for our hobby to grow a little.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:24 AM
ltougas

I was asked a great question recently about how to vote if you renew your AMA membership on-line. Here it is;

Question; I do all my AMA renewals online and have never paid attention to the paper mailings (other than MA). When can we expect to receive the pertinent paper ballot in the mail?

If you renew on-line you can still vote. You should be sent a paper ballot in October, it is a postcard with the candidate choices and check boxes next to them. Just check off your choice and drop it in the mail it has return postage on the card for you. If you are not sent a ballot call the AMA at 800-435-9262 select extension 290 and speak to Shawn Grubbs. Shawn will provide you with a replacement ballot.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 AM
ltougas

Dear District X Members,

I have two items I want to bring to your attention this week.

First I've posted coverage of the Santa Clara Tomcats open house, you can read about it [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2010/07/tomcats-open-house.html]here[/link]. The Tomcats are located on county park land, so as a way to thank the community they put on a show for the public. It is a two day event and draws 2000-3000 spectators each year. As I've said before my primary goal as your District X Vice-President will be to help you find and retain your flying fields. The Tomcats do a perfect job of building ties with their community through this show. Everything about it is geared toward a lay person. There is an announcer that describes everything that is going on in terms the general public can understand. They also keep the show moving with almost no down time between acts. They provide a solid hour of buddy box time at lunch with 6 or 7 stations including a helicopter for people to try their hand at flying. All around it is a first class act.

This weekend I'm going to attend the Woodland-Davis Aeromodeler's Wings of Victory fly-in. This event is open to warbirds of all kinds. As part of my efforts to meet modelers in the district I'll be there, if you're in the area please stop by and introduce yourself. You can read more about the Wings of Victory [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2010/07/woodland-davis-aeromodelers-wings-of.html]here[/link]. The Aeromodelers are a Gold Leader Club and one of the best run clubs in the area so if you've never been there take some time and check them out.

If you haven't had a chance to get to know me please check out my [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/]website[/link]. On the site I have information about my [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-background.html]background[/link], my [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2009/08/my-candidate-statement.html]candidate statement[/link], and the most [link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/2009/10/district-xs-top-eleven.html]frequently asked questions[/link] I get asked when I meet modelers. Please share this information with your flying buddies.

If you would like to be a campaign volunteer, and represent me at your club please let me know. What I'm looking for are supporters who will mention my name at election time and encourage their fellow modelers to vote. I'm very excited about the opportunity to become your District Vice-President and with your help we'll make it happen.

Happy Landings,
Lawrence Tougas
Old 08-11-2010, 01:17 PM
ltougas

Dear AMA District X Members,

The following is a campaign statement I prepared for insertion into District X Club newsletters. Please pass this on to your newsletter editor and encourage them to run it prior to our election. If you would like to get a PDF or text version of it please email me at [email protected]

Happy Landings,
Lawrence Tougas
AMA 232
[link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/]http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/[/link]

Campaign Statement

from

Lawrence Tougas

Greetings,

I want to present myself to you, so that you can make an informed decision when you cast your vote for AMA District X Vice-President this September.

I was a candidate in last year’s District X election. I ran against our interim Vice-President Jim Giffin, who had been appointed by outgoing District Vice-President Rich Hanson. A lot of people told me I was crazy to run against the establishment; that there was no chance of breaking into the AMA Leadership as an outsider. Well I guess they were right because Jim won the election, but it turned out to be the closest election not only in the history of the District but in the entire history of the AMA which is something I am proud of. When the votes were tallied in a District with 28,000 members there was a 34 vote difference between Jim and I. It was a virtual tie but as I’ve told everyone those 34 votes did count and Jim was our new VP and I wished him all the best.

Normally Jim would be serving his three year term, but sadly one month into his term Jim passed away. We are now conducting a special election to determine who will lead District X.

I feel I am the best qualified candidate to serve as your Vice-President and I would like to give you some information on my background, goals, and the critical issues affecting the AMA as well as how to keep in touch with me so that you can decide for yourself who is best suited to be the next District X Vice-President.

Background

I have been a Design/Project Engineer for 23 years in the Aerospace Industry. I have worked in the Defense Industry, and am currently working at a major domestic airline. In Defense I designed parts for two missiles used in the “Star Wars” program, and produced parts for the Space Shuttle as well. In the airline industry on the maintenance side I have been the Primary Engineer, on flight control systems, aircraft interiors, and aircraft structure. On the Operations side I was the Operational Engineer on a wide-bodied aircraft, and as such worked with our Chief Pilots to maintain and modify the aircraft flight manual used by all of our pilots. During my career I have worked a number of long-term projects that required supervising multiple participants to ensure project goals and time lines were met. I believe that translates directly in to skills that an effective District Vice-President would need.

In addition I have owned and operated my own Video Production Company and understand the skills need to be a successful entrepreneur. I know how to market my products, which I think are the skills that our local clubs need to employ to market themselves to their communities to win and retain flying sites.

I’ve been modeling since I was a child. I’ve built and flew free flight, control line, and radio control models. I’ve spent my whole life enthralled by all aspects of aviation. It was this love of aviation that prompted me to secure a Bachelor’s of Science in Aeronautical Engineering from the University of California. I also have a Commercial Multi-Engine Pilot’s License with Instrument Privileges.

Goals

There are three primary goals that I will pursue as your District X Vice-President. First is to help clubs keep and obtain new fields. Next is to leverage the power of the Internet to cover District events and issues of interest to the membership. Last and certainly not least I would like to develop an AMA owned field in District X for the benefit of our membership.

Flying Fields
Modeling begins and ends with a place to fly. That is why my top goal will be to help keep and find new fields. Modelers are a self-reliant group who typically handle all of their needs amongst themselves without asking for others to help. We need to not be hesitant to ask for support. We need to build ties with our community

My ideas about helping clubs in this area revolve around being proactive. I believe the most important Officer in a club is not the President or Treasurer, but the Community Relations Officer. If your club doesn’t have one you should seriously consider electing one. This position would be responsible for your clubs dealings with your neighbors and if you’re on public land the entity that controls it or on private land, your landlord. This person should be a real schmoozer, someone who has the ability to charm our neighbors and the decision makers who control our field’s futures.

Having a Community Relations Officer puts one name and number in place for your neighbors to contact if they have concerns. This person could organize your Community Appreciation day. One club in District X the Livermore Flying Electrons goes around the surrounding neighborhood knocking on doors and leaving fliers inviting their neighbors to join them at their field. While there they serve a free lunch and provide demonstrations as well as opportunities to try flying on a buddy box and simulators. The LFE’s have reported to me the great success they’ve had because they got out, knocked on doors and made the first move to introduce themselves.

The Community Relations Officer would issue press releases to alert your news outlets of the positive actions your club has accomplished and events the public can attend. Recently the Trabuco RC Flyers in Orange County California had a community day and it was covered both before the event and after the event by the Orange County Register. This is a Pulitzer Prize winning newspaper that is one of the most significant in Southern California. The reason they were covered was because they made it a priority and they kept in constant contact with a reporter at the paper, their hard work paid off.

Perhaps the most important thing your Community Relations Officer would do is maintain the club’s relationship with your public officials that control your land or a landlord on private land. This is an election year. In many parts of our District the Decision makers that control your field are up for election. Clubs can do several things to take advantage of the opportunities that this presents. Many times we feel that the only thing that we can offer a candidate is money, while it is true that money talks we also have a valuable resource, manpower. Running a local campaign takes a lot of volunteer manpower and we should be aligning ourselves with candidates that are friendly to our cause and help elect them. They need people to put up signs, go door to door asking for votes and leaving literature and manning phone banks calling voters asking them to vote for the candidate. If your club can deliver that kind of help the Official will remember it and take your call when you need to talk to them and be sympathetic to you when others raise issues about your field.

Many clubs run fund raisers, why not choose a charity that is important to your public officials or landlord and involve them in the pictures and press releases detailing the money raised or help provided. If we are going to help our community we should double up by selecting a beneficiary that our field’s decision makers support.

Find out the Birthdays of these decision makers and acknowledge them with a card from the club. Another way to keep in touch is to take them out to lunch on an on-going basis as a friendly informal meeting, not necessarily to bring up issues each time but to just keep an open line of communication. If you have a Christmas banquet you should invite the decision makers and their significant others to be guests of the club.

I have a lot of ideas in this area and it is one of the reasons I want to move coverage of events from our District X column in the magazine to the Internet and use the magazine space to discuss the techniques that clubs have found successful to protect their fields.

The Internet
We can do a better job of covering District events than we currently do in the magazine column. Last year while I was campaigning I pointed out the opportunities that we were missing by having such a static website for District X, and how we could better cover events on the Internet. I discussed how the Internet gives us unlimited space. We can publish color photos, and even video of the events. Imagine a District wide mailing list that alerts members when new information is published. A club could have a weekend event, write it up Sunday night and it could be on-line Monday morning for members to read with their morning coffee.

The District X establishment did nothing of mention regarding the Internet until they came within 34 votes of losing their control over the District. Suddenly we have a newsletter. I think it’s well produced and a good read but you have to ask yourself, if it didn’t exist until the closest election in AMA history happened; what is their long-term commitment to it? I believe its primary purpose is to campaign for the election and when the election is over it will die out.

I have demonstrated I am firmly committed to use of the Internet. For over a year I’ve been publishing my own site;

[link=http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/]http://ama-district-x-election.blogspot.com/[/link]

As your District Vice-President I will publish a similar website covering past District events, alerting members to upcoming events, create a District Hall of Fame to give the many deserving members of our District who go above and beyond the recognition they deserve. We can publish building and flying articles and use it as a call to arms when one of our clubs is threatened. Members will be able to subscribe to email alerts that will tell them when new articles have been published so they can read about them as soon as they are on-line. The possibilities are literally endless, and I look forward to doing much more than has been done in the past and in a more timely manner than what we are currently doing.

West Coast AMA Flying Site
I believe that the majority of our members should have access to an AMA owned and operated field like the one we have in Muncie Indiana. Past District X Vice-Presidents have championed a West Coast Flying Site, I believe it is time to take up the task and work until we have a site District X members can enjoy.

If we set a criteria that, say 75% of a District’s membership should be within a 2 day drive of an AMA owned facility, and we define a 2 day drive as 10 hours each day, certainly long but doable let’s take a look at what we have now.

Using Google maps with Muncie as our destination here are the drive times between various cities in Districts I-IX. Starting with Denver and moving around the map clockwise we have Denver at 18:46, Rapid City SD. 18:12, Bismarck ND.17:55, Minneapolis, MN. 11:19, Milwaukee, WI. 5:48, Detroit, MI. 4:09, Buffalo, NY. 7:38, Boston, MA. 14:44, Bangor, ME. 18:21, Philadelphia, PA. 10:29, Greenville, NC. 11:20, Charleston, SC. 11:57, Miami, FL.20:09, New Orleans, LA. 13:47, and Houston, TX. 18:13

Now let’s look at Districts X and XI. Starting at Tucson, AZ. driving times are 29:00, Phoenix, AZ. 29:00, San Diego, CA. 34:00, Los Angeles, CA. 34:00, Las Vegas, NV. 31:00, San Francisco, CA. 37:00, Eugene, OR. 38:00, Seattle, WA. 36:00, Billings, MT. 23:40, and Salt Lake City, UT. 25:00.

I have not decided where our AMA West flying site should be, in fact I’ve said before that a group of modelers working on the question taking into account geographic center of the district, population center of the district, a welcoming city, accommodations for visitors and more should be considered. That being said let’s compare the District X, and XI cities to the city chose last time this effort was pursued, Visalia, CA. The driving time from those same DX and XI cities to Visalia are, Tucson, AZ. 11:01, Phoenix, AZ. 9:04, San Diego, CA. 5:11, Los Angeles, CA. 3:13, Las Vegas, NV. 6:03, San Francisco, CA. 3:57, Eugene, OR. 11:02, Seattle, WA. 15:49,Billings, MT. 21:14, and Salt Lake City, UT. 12:34.

So you can see most of the Midwest, Eastern Seaboard, and South is within our definition of a 2 day drive to Muncie, while none of the cities in Districts X and XI are. With the addition of only one additional site we can serve all AMA members in a more equitable fashion.

We would have a site available to host major competitions, a portion of the Nats could rotate out to the west coast as has been done in the past, and large fun flys like the Joe Nall event would be possible. We would have a site that will be a capital asset for the AMA and since land is at a 10 plus year low we should see long term appreciation of this asset. As I meet members on my visits around the District easily 9 out of 10 people find the idea of an AMA West site exciting, and something that they would support.

My opponent has stated that he will not push for a West Coast flying site. He even went as far as to call it a, “BAD idea.” To be honest with you I just don’t understand that way of thinking. This is something that the majority of members I meet feel is a good idea. They look at how they are limited by distance from using the Muncie property and see a west coast flying site as something to point to as a tangible benefit from the AMA, for the dues they pay. As your District Vice President I think it is a worthy goal and one I will pursue. Speaking of goals, Wayne Gretzky the famous hockey player once said, “You miss 100% of the shots you never take.” As your District Vice-President this is one shot I will take for you.

Critical Issues

Small Unmaned Aircraft System NPRM

I want to touch on the Small Unmanned Aircraft System (sUAS) FAA rule making that has the potential to affect our sport. This is the most critical issue modelers have faced in over a decade; we need to marshal all of our assets to respond to the upcoming FAA Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM). As an Aeronautical Engineer a significant part of my job is responding to NPRM’s, we need to be prepared to demonstrate to the FAA that any alternate rules we proposed will provide the same or higher level of safety than the wording in the NPRM. I do not believe the FAA has any desire to harm modeling, in fact I’m sure a higher than average percentage of FAA staff have been or are modelers themselves, but we need to be ready to respond. As your District Vice-President I will bring my experience to bear on protecting your right to enjoy modeling and pass it on to the next generation.

Meeting the Members
I have made it a priority to get out and meet with members all over our District. One of the advantages I have that helps me to travel the District is that I work for a major airline and enjoy employee pass travel privileges. This has allowed me to travel up and down California, as well as out to Arizona, and Utah. I’ve covered a lot of miles, including my upcoming trip to an event on Ford Island on Oahu, I’ll have clocked over 12,000 miles on the road meeting members. I will be at events in Nevada too before the election is over. Everywhere I go I hear the same thing, members simply are not meeting our District Vice-President and Associate Vice-Presidents as often as they would like. I am committing to continuing to travel the District as your Vice-President and I will meet with my Associate Vice-Presidents as soon as I am elected so that we can map out the major events in the District and build a plan so that myself or one of my Associate Vice-Presidents will be at these events to show the flag, meet the members and let you know that you do matter.

How to Stay In Touch

There are several ways for you to stay in touch with me. First you can visit my website it is at;

I send out an email discussing events I have attended or am planning to attend and items of note. It comes out about once a week to a growing number of District X members. If you would like to be added to the list please send an email to;

[email protected]

Finally I can’t do this all by myself, I need members who support me to represent me at their club. All you really need to do is bring up the subject of the election and let people know where they can find out more about me. You can share this letter with them and discuss the issues raised in it and let them know why you support me. The most important thing you can do is remind them to vote. Last year we had 15% of eligible voters return their ballots, that is high for an AMA election but we can and will do better this year. If you would like to represent me at your club send me an email and I will add you to a special email list that will allow you to receive election bulletins.

Ultimately the members of District X will choose the candidate that they feel is best qualified to be elected. If the Members choose me I would consider it an honor to serve District X as their Vice-President.

I wish you all the best, and may you have many safe, and happy landings.

Sincerely,
Lawrence Tougas
AMA 232

P.S. You will receive your ballot with your AMA renewal in September. The ballot is a post card that you simply detach, mark your choice and drop in the mail, it even has the postage on it for your convenience. Do not, I repeat do not send your ballot with your dues renewal they go to two different places and if you send your ballot with your dues your vote will be invalidated.

Please cast your vote for Lawrence Tougas today.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:38 AM
The Juice
My Feedback: (1)

I don't think we could afford to print all that in our newsletter......
Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 AM
ltougas

Juice,
If you have an email list of your members forwarding it to them via email would be great. Another option would be to have it available at your next club meeting and/or posting it at your field.

Lawrence Tougas
AMA 232
Old 09-16-2010, 08:48 PM
GIJon
My Feedback: (118)

Well...it has been quite sometime since anyone has posted anything on here. Undoubtedly, you have received some communication that the ballots ore now getting in the mail. Please take a few minutes to check a box for the candidate of your choice for the good of the members of District X.

I would like to say a few words on behalf of Mike Brown. I have known Mike for many years and he is a very stand up guy as many of you have experienced. He has not been a pest about campaigning as his qualifications and accomplishments for the members of the AMA speak much louder than any words on paper. He is by far not part of the "Establishment" as you may have heard or read. He has run a clean campaign and not engaged in any mudslinging, because has has been way too busy handling AMA business and taking care of the members. He did not go out and start campaigning the very day after Jim Giffin passed away. He tried to continue the motions at hand and complete some of the tasks that Jim wanted but was not able to do. Mike is very dedicated to the position and spends most of every day working on the job. This position in this large of a district requires more than a couple of hours in an evening or on a weekend. It also requires someone with experience of how a local club operates, the duties of the officers, how to successfully organize and run events and fly-ins over and over. It also makes a big difference in your decision making process if you have experience with a variety of aircraft and their capabilities. I could go on and on but I have said enough.

Please take the time to compare the experience of these two candidates and vote for the one you think is the most capable and the guy you want representing District X and the future of our great hobby.

Jon Wilson
AMA # N6ELO-RC
Old 09-16-2010, 09:44 PM
Tarasdad

When you fill out your ballot, DO NOT send it in with your membership renewal. If you do so it will not be counted. You must send it to the address on the front of the ballot, nowhere else!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:03 PM
GIJon
My Feedback: (118)

Excellent! Thank you for the reminder. I wonder how many have thought their vote did not count over the years and they were right...because they mailed it with the renewal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.