Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Take The AMA Survey

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Take The AMA Survey

Old 04-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Muroc1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Take The AMA Survey

Now is your chance to let your opinion be heard.

Click on the link from the email that was sent to you by the AMA and provide your commentary and insight.

Time to let AMA leadership know how you feel. It certainly can't hurt.

Frank

PS The best thing is the comments' sections. You can provide opinions on all that you have relayed to us here.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:11 PM
KidEpoxy

Default RE: Take The AMA Survey

Is this another one of those surveys
asking the folks that like AMA enough to renew what they think,
rather than asking the folks that chose to NOT RENEW what caused them to LEAVE AMA?

An important part of growing the membership
is to find out what is driving members away... like mailing a Why Didnt You Renew form/letter.

Its nice to find out why folks stay,
ever wonder what makes them leave?
The recent trend is not Zero Growth, its NEGATIVE Growth... maybe we should plug that hole or even admit there is a hole
Old 04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KE, et.al. this one does ask much better direct questions rather than the usual loaded questions of before. It is very short and rather direct about what you might think is a better way to search for new folks. Definitely concerned with the young folks, however at least one question allows for age groups that you think should be considered.

>>>>>>>>
EXAMPLES:

7. What do you consider to be the greatest challenge in recruiteing and retaining youth in the hobby and AMA, and why?

My answer: Finding polsters that can spell "recruiting". Just joking. (;-))<

TIME MANAGEMENT along with getting schools to recognize that aviation interest does not fall in the tests that teachers
now require students to memorize.
Also competeing with young boys and their G & G desease (Gas and Girls)

In this day and age, schools demand far too much of student's time and energy. With that our economy demands two "bread-winners" and kids simply have neither the time, or desire to be other than "one of the group".
Aeromodeling is time consuming even with the ARFs. Flying facilities are too far from the residences. Parents don't have the time to ration to such an exclusive time-consuming activity. Parents have to use the weekends to catch up on home-chores because so many work long hard hours or travel all over just to make a living, and the "keep-up-with-the-Joneses" syndrome. It's simply the constant "competition of living".
One can play ball, throw the glove/ball/whatever in the garage, and pick it up next time it is needed. Not so a model airplane. It takes constant care and maintenance. TIME, TIME, consuming.

P.S. Teen-age boys playing with toy airplanes don't have any Cheer-Leaders pulling on their - the boys' - belts.
Cutie up close, holding on, can be very much distracting away from the smell of nitro and castor oil. BTDT
Old 04-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Posted my comments, one more time, on the AMA forum.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:38 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My survey was easy, I never got one.....
Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Muroc1

ORIGINAL: DavidAgar

My survey was easy, I never got one.....
Dave,

Click on the link Horrace posted.

Frank
Old 04-06-2010, 09:21 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

So.....what did you think was the greatest challenge of getting youth involved in modeling?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:07 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

OH, didn't notice the survey in AMA Today. Just took the survey.

Imade several comments in the survey to the fact that they confuse AMAand Aeromodeling or flying RCAirplanes. One can be actively engaged in aeromodeling and not be a member of AMA.

What Ithink they wanted to know is how do we draw more young people into AMAclubs. For most of us, the AMAclub ISthe AMA.

Old 04-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: tailskid

So.....what did you think was the greatest challenge of getting youth involved in modeling?
The greatest challenge is just getting them interested in modeling. Too many other diversions. Modeling just like scouting is not the "in" thing.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:54 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

couldn't agree more....until they actually sit along the flight line and see what fun it can be....THEN we only have to divert the diversions
Old 04-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's easier on Mom and Dad to by them an X-Box or Play Station and ignore their kids than it is to get involved and spend time with them. It's our fault. Not theirs.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:20 AM
DelRay

Big Bird, you" hit the nail" on both counts there, my same thoughts exactly. It also might have something to do with what the parents were interested in when they were youngsters.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:13 AM
littlecrankshaf
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: aeajr

I made several comments in the survey to the fact that they confuse AMA and Aeromodeling or flying RC Airplanes. One can be actively engaged in aeromodeling and not be a member of AMA.
Right on! I couldn't agree more!!

Conversely one can be a member of AMA and not do much Aeromodeling or flying RC Airplanes... One thing is for certain it is usually about some form of control...models or people... and there seems to be a ratio of sorts...the more one excels at model aviation the less they concentrate on people control and vice versa...
Old 04-21-2010, 09:38 AM
ARUP

Reasons for demise of AMA and airplane modeling: 1) arfs- no 'skin' in the game. Buy another one with discretionary income if first breaks or buy something totally different like a new video game or 'gangsta' pants. 2) park flyers- considered a harmless toy and usually don't 'look' like a 'real' airplane. 'Go to the park by your lonesome and not interact with others' is the 'karma' I feel with those. 3) 2.4 radios 'safe' so no regulation really needed is the unwritten message here. 4) instant gratification is the rule of the day. 5) seems like the world is too dangerous anymore to let a kid fly airplanes with other kids without supervision/ protection. You can cram more kids on a soccer field than a model airplane field. 5) litigation is more absurd every day. 6) computers/video games are the 'new' modeling hobby. The hardware acqusition and its manipulation are the 'tangibles' and 'playing' on them the intangible, 'action at a distance', pychological phenomenon. 7) airplanes not as exciting as they once were since they are more or less commonplace. There are prolly others but these easily come to mind. Oh well- I have my stack of balsa and my own place to fly!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:21 PM
brianfroehling

Are you saying that in earlier years there were more children involved in flying? Why is it so important to get kids involved? I'm 50, have been flying for two years, and I fly with several other guys who are relatively new to the hobby and range in age from 25 to 55. Then there are the older guys in the club. I don't know how old they were when they started, but why does it matter? I'm in deep and plan to stay with it. I don't think I would have been interested as a kid even if somebody introduced me to it. I did rocketry, but personally I feel that a deadly spinning propeller is far too dangerous for most children. For crying out loud, even older children can't stay focussed and completely attend to the road while driving. They text, etc., and most people consider a car a potentially deadly object. I have a teenage son, and although he is very responsible, I don't think I want him out with other kids his age playing with these aircraft. The brain continues to develop to at least the age of 18, and before then, lost fingers and other accidents are far more likely to occur. It's not my fault my kid isn't interested in flying. I ask him to come along regularly, but there are other things he would rather do, and that's fine with me. Finally, let's not kid ourselves about the cost. Many of us are guilty of telling interested people that they can get into the hobby for a few hundred dollars. But you can't STAY in the hobby for that initial investment. This is an expensive hobby, and there's not a club member that I know of that won't freely admit that. Kids don't have that kind of money for the most part.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:16 PM
koastrc

Not bad. Perhaps there is some common ground.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:44 PM
dbcisco
Banned

There is way more to the model aircraft hobby than just flying.
Read the AMA's Articles of Incorporation. The AMA is an Educational NPO, not a sport club, regardless of what any club, member or Muncie thinks otherwise.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:53 PM
ThomasD59

This was an expensive hobby in the late 60's and early 70's as well, and I could only afford stick-and-tissue and a couple of control line.  Wasn't till I was married and had a house that I could afford this RC nonsense.  It remains expensive today, in spite of the advances.  Kids fly their parkflyers until they're unable to repair them cheaply, then it's decision time.  Gas for my car, or get a new plane?  We do manage to get new flyers, but very few builders.  I'm helping my son with his first Guillows kit right now.  He seems to like it so far, and he's a kid who has trouble concentrating.  I'm rambling...but kids are different nowadays.  Not saying they're better or worse than we were (though my kids are far more well-behaved than I ever was), they're just different.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:13 PM
dbcisco
Banned

And you could have never done any RC and stayed involved in model aviation.
Why is there such an emphasis on RC and flying?
The AMA has gone from being the aircraft equivalent of an automotive training center to a driver's ed class.
I find that sad and disturbing.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:28 PM
ThomasD59

lol...it was a natural progression:

Guillows kits were only the starta gateway drug, if you will.  Soon I was learning to use silkspan, and building planes with 2' wingspans.  It wasn't enough to just build these thingsI had to watch them fly.

I was off the junk for several years, until I had some free time and disposable income.  Then, I was right back at itonly worse.  I had to build, I couldn't help myself.  And I had to watch them fly again.  Next thing I knew, I was walkiing out of my LHS with a 6 channel JR.  It's not enough now to build them and watch them flyoh no...I have to be piloting them as well!  When does it end?
Old 08-30-2010, 11:30 PM
ThomasD59

it appears I may have leaked some CA onto my space bar.  My bad.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:52 PM
dbcisco
Banned

I don't think it ends, Thomas.
I wasn't bashing flying. I just feel that the AMA puts so much emphasis on the end result that the rest gets overlooked.
I love building things and when I am done I want to see that they work, then I am on to the next project. Whether that be model aircraft, cars, computers or students.
I spent the summer building computers for friends, remodeling my wife's bathroom and restoring a classic car that I will not drive that much. I love the journey and the view, but I am always looking forward to the next adventure. I didn't build a single plane this summer, that is what the winter is for.
I never piloted a real aircraft but I got a thrill seeing the ones I helped build take off.
Tuesday I get 50 projects to work on again, its first day for students, I look forward to it.
Old 08-30-2010, 11:58 PM
dbspl

As I read this thread, I can't help but picture a group of older guys sitting around a room debating why younger kids aren't interested in model aviation; but never really having the prior experience of actually going out and talking to kids. Now, I don't mean this literally, because I'm sure we've all had at least some interaction with young people and what interests them. But I doubt most of us have had the experience of talking with large groups of kids and getting their feedback. We can debate what "we" think all day long, but how does any one of us ever substantiate anything? We might as well be debating the decline of the Barbi Doll industry. With the amount of information we seem to be working with, our conclusions would be just as valid.

Kids interested in aeromodeling has always been a very small percentage of the population. That will never change. I think the AMA's responsibility is to expose all kids to model aviation, and for that small percentage that are sincerely interested, to continue to make it easy for them to persue. With respect to the 2nd half of that statement, I personally feel the AMA does a pretty good job. But getting the experience communicated to all kids is still a huge challenge. In my opinion, if you do that, the AMA membership problem would take care of itself.

dbspl
Old 08-31-2010, 12:18 AM
dbcisco
Banned

No one does anything they never heard of.
That's why I introduce aviation in my curriculum when ever I legitimately can. At least they will know its out there. I don't say anything about the AMA in my class (school policy). I do talk about building both models and real aircraft, RC and flying as well as other aeronautic related topics. I don't care whether they join the AMA, become pilots, get their A&P licenses or decide they have no interest in it. I do make sure they hear about as many aspects of aviation as I can.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:40 PM
theriddler33872

WOW !
and the AMA'ers out there wonder about the decline in membership numbers it seems some of the guys like putting age restrictions on the hobby, well with kids today it's more about video games and the want it right now way of life along with whole age thing at clubs .
I'm 100% sure if you look at some of these local clubs (every area is of coarse different) you'll find it's a older set of people and there's nothing wrong with it, don't get me wrong but for example where i'm at if you go to the club or even the clubs web site you see no one in my age range. call it what you will but i like to fly with people in my age range i have no problem with older guys but it is a generation gap no matter how you look at it. So i can see where getting younger people involved would be a plus from the dying AMA .

I'll put it out there again and i know there are the AMA club members that hate when i throw this out there but it comes down to the clubs or the club fields that are AMA charter or sanctioned but have a closed door policey, if you are a AMA member you should be able to fly at any club field for a fee not just at the AMA main field that is for most way to far away .
Until that happens the AMA will continue to decline and with all the foamys that are out there that do not require large area's to fly in the "KIDS" will take it to the parks and ball fields to fly where they can hang out with other "KIDS" .

just in case some want to know i'm 42 and have thought "KIDS" from 12 to 20 to fly .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.