Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Academy of Model Aeronautics announces resignation of its executive director

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Academy of Model Aeronautics announces resignation of its executive director

Old 08-21-2010, 09:46 PM
K-Bob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Academy of Model Aeronautics announces resignation of its executive director

Old 08-21-2010, 11:09 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Default RE: Academy of Model Aeronautics announces resignation of its executive director

If this is true:
'' Steve Kaluf has been fired by the AMA Executive VP Jim Cherry during the IRCHA Jamboree because he climbed on a mower owned by the AMA while he was on vacation to help prepare the field for the event.''
Then Cherry's departure is long overdue.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:36 AM
Silent-AV8R

You want eggs with your (re)hash???

Old ground already well covered to no real end. The principals know what happened and everyone else is guessing to while away the hours behind the keyboard.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:38 AM
bj1235@iquest
My Feedback: (3)

I live near the AMA site, and visit regularly. I have had occasion to talk to several of the personnel from time to time, and have never had any of them utter a good word for Cherry. Frankly, I'm glad to see him go. Joyce will do her usual quiet job and will operate without the hassles we have seen of late.

I did NOT care for Kaluf and his arrogant attitude. The story I got when he was fired was this: He instructed the ground crew to cut the grass on the South runway to about 1" in height. Cherry got word of this, and told him this was not to be permitted, due to the dry conditions, and the possible damage to the grass. Kaluf then proceeded to take his son out there on the weekend, and was mowing it very short. Cherry caught him in the act, and fired him. At least this was the scuttlebut around Muncie.

Boy, can you imagine the difficulty of working for a group of 12 people like the Board?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:31 AM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Well, last I thought grass will grow anywhere, any time. Don't think so? Ever see a grass fire after it burns out? Grass regrows every time. If it is to dry I agree. Don't cut to short. Use bigger wheels and more power!
Old 08-22-2010, 09:50 AM
dbcisco
Banned

I've heard grass can make people do strange things.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:50 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

bj1235, your version of what happened sounds the most plausible. It's pretty easy for me to visualize that scenario playing out....compounded with however much bad history might have existed between them leading up to the dismissal.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:46 AM
barchiola
My Feedback: (6)

i never really bothered to learn what Cherry's job was but his articles each month were pretty boring.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:36 AM
dreadnaut
My Feedback: (5)

I once lost a job when a new manager came in and wanted to replace me with one of "his own trusted people", who I later found out was his less qualified son in law. The whole Kaluf thing pi$$ed me off 'cause I saw it for what it was.

Good riddance.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Silent-AV8R

Wow, 3 years later and you guys are STILL talking about Kaluf??

Reminds me of the joke about God wanting to go on vacation, but he could not decide where to go. Gabriel suggested Earth. God responded:
"No way. What a bunch of busy-bodies. I went there once 2, 000 years ago and had a fling with a nice Jewish girl and they are STILL talking about it".
Old 08-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to officially apply for this position. I throw in my hat ...

I have hours and hours of arm-chair experience ...
Old 08-22-2010, 08:40 PM
1320Fastback

Does this mean my dues will be less next year

Where did I put my grass [X(]
Old 08-22-2010, 09:45 PM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

No, we're talking about Cherry. I was having a recollection of how he got off on the wrong foot with me. Every one of his back of the rag editorials reinforced my dislike until I stopped reading them, about the forth or fifth one. As some one who has gotten the Kaluf treatment, I can have no respect for someone like that, and again I say, good riddance.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 AM

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut

No, we're talking about Cherry. I was having a recollection of how he got off on the wrong foot with me. Every one of his back of the rag editorials reinforced my dislike until I stopped reading them, about the forth or fifth one. As some one who has gotten the Kaluf treatment, I can have no respect for someone like that, and again I say, good riddance.
So that's it.
Jim Cherry's son-in-law wanted to mow and Kaluf wouldn't let him?
Glad we cleared that up.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:35 AM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: 804

ORIGINAL: dreadnaut

So that's it.
Jim Cherry's son-in-law wanted to mow and Kaluf wouldn't let him?
Glad we cleared that up.
Sound like you can not tell the difference between an exact comparison and a parallel situation. Could be a son in law, could be a good buddy. It still sucks.

Unsubscribing now.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:09 PM

Well shoot, dreadnaut, it was just a dumb joke.
But hey, I apologize.
How about you come back to the thread,
and I'll go away.[]
Old 08-24-2010, 05:27 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he is managing security at a local model field now I heard in another thread
Old 09-05-2010, 04:58 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't like the man at all. Based on the lawnmower incident it cemented my opinions. A man on vacation amd on his own time is not allowed to do what he wants with his time . Humm sounds like Cherry had a vendetta and used his position to his advantage. We have all had the misfortune of working for people like that.Thankfully I'm retired and can be my own A.H.
dennis
Old 09-13-2010, 09:08 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had several very good conversations with Mr. Cherry. He totally agreed with my assessment of the real cause of the lack of growth situation. He, like those in his position before him, found out that he would not be allow to change anything. Like the mother who tells her kids that they can go swimming, but not to go near the water.

I think that Jim knew what the problem was, but wasn't allowed to do what was absolutely necessary to fix the problem

Fliers1
Old 09-14-2010, 12:48 PM
JUGFLIER

I think that Jim knew what the problem was, but wasn't allowed to do what was absolutely necessary to fix the problem
I always knew AMA would grow just as soon as we cleaned out the grounds crew in Muncie.

Get the heck outta town Jim Cherry, today is not soon enough.