Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

AMA memmbers, do you build or buy?

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.
View Poll Results: A poll
I mostly buy ARFs
20.17%
I mostly buy RTFs
1.29%
I mostly build from kits or scratch
39.91%
I have an even mix of builds and ARF/RTF
38.63%
Voters: 233. You may not vote on this poll

AMA memmbers, do you build or buy?

Old 08-30-2010, 07:32 PM
HIGHSTRUT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AMA memmbers, do you build or buy?

dbcisco, we're practically neighbors, what clubs do you belong to in the area?

Old 08-30-2010, 08:49 PM
kurt2022
My Feedback: (18)

I'm the arf guy that the builders love to talk quietly about while I fly, then come over and go though my plane from nose to tail to see how my plane is constructed and get ideas from it. They always mention laser cut this or that, but I DO NOT have the patience nor the time to build from scratch and like to put a plane together over the winter compared to years. If I could build, something I have never done, I wonder how long it would take to build some of my planes from scratch, like my 33% Ultimate and my 36% Katana. I would rather let World Models worry about that and I will worry about all the reinforcing like landing gear and firewall. "ARF GUY" is not a dirty word to me, I would rather spend my spare time doing other things then glueing sticks together for countless hours and days!! Just me being honest!
Old 08-30-2010, 08:53 PM
dbcisco
Banned

I don't belong to any club. I have free places to fly.
I joined the AMA for the cheap insurance and because I wanted to try and influence the educational direction and involvement of the organization.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:02 PM
mylamo
My Feedback: (1)

I design and build mostly from plans drawn on the wood. I have never
owned a plane that was not built by me in sixty years. I don't even like
my wife's dachsund because it ia a you know what. My airplanes mostly
fly but if they aren't right they get picked up Monday morning by the city.
Ralph
Old 08-31-2010, 01:00 AM
hairy46

Well looks like there is a place in this hobby for all of us! I like to build and fly some like to just build and other like to just fly! At least we all have the options that we want, Well almost, I would love to see allot more kits out!

My doctor told me I would need allot more therapy, So I bought more planes!
Old 08-31-2010, 05:26 PM
HIGHSTRUT

Scratch building and kits go back a long way, I remember when Woolworth sold (sorta) scale rubber powered models for .10 cents and a larger kit for .25 cents. In fact during World War 11 they substituted the balsa ribs and bulkheads with cardboard, the reason I think was they needed the balsa for floatation devices,(I stand corrected if wrong). Talk about a heavy rubber powered model,needless to say they didn't fly very well. I remember sorting through the kit boxes to be sure the tissue paper was colored instead of white.

Still dwelling in the past, was the first ARF Jim Walkers control line .049 powered Fire Baby??? I cut my teeth flying u-control on that ARF. Jim was quite an innovator in the hobby in those years.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:57 PM
dbcisco
Banned

Thanks everyone for posting.
I found out what I wanted to know.
The vast majority seem to be builders of one kind or another.
I am glad to see so many different activities posted.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:44 PM
hairy46

I remember my first attempt to fly, I got an cox plastic triplane ucontrol from a yard sale, it took me the better part of the summer to get it started, When it did start I got about a third of a cirlcle with it crashed it and that was it! It never started again, I hung what was left of it over my bed, But I was hooked! Its funny now but it did put a bug in me.

My girlfriend told me if I gave up RC planes I would have more time for other things, WHAT OTHER THINGS?
Old 09-05-2010, 10:08 PM
ARUP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to design my own scale airplanes and build others from plans. Today I waxed two cowl plugs, mounted them to the 'parting board' and sprayed with PVA release. Tomorrow I'll build up the mold over the plugs with epoxy and glass. One is for my 1/6 SIG Cub kit bashed to a Super Cruiser and the other is for a 1/4 Keith Rider 'Firecracker' from Vern Clements plans. Tomorrow I'll wax and etc. the plug for my 1/4 DH-5 to pull a mold from it. I need to mold the cowl before I can finish the fuse. I have nosebowl plugs for a 1/4 Goon, Miles and Atwood Special and Keith Rider Jackrabbit, 1/6 Cub Coupe, 1/6 Gee Bee 'X' and B-9 Townend rings. Nosebowl plugs being made for 1/4 Haines Firefly and Israel Redhead.
I've bought arfs in the past but was never satisfied with the quality. They are definitely better than they used to be. I understand why folks buy them, though. Just not for me.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:24 PM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

ORIGINAL: dbcisco

Like I stated a few posts back....I am very suprised at the poll results. If they are accurate I then wonder why ~90% or so of planes currently "on the market" are ARF's?? If many people are still building I would think you would see a lot more kits for sale by the distributors.....just my $.02.

Steve
Old 09-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Arbo

Steve, I think perhaps it is that most of the non arf stuff is really easy to put together scratch builds, or plan built stuff. There are loads of people messing with depron, epp and bluecor that are all scratch builders, or use free plans they find online.

The kit market just can not compete with all the arfs brought from overseas...
Old 09-20-2010, 01:48 PM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: loser

Like I stated a few posts back....I am very suprised at the poll results. If they are accurate I then wonder why ~90% or so of planes currently "on the market" are ARF's?? If many people are still building I would think you would see a lot more kits for sale by the distributors.....just my $.02.

Steve
The results are not accurate unless you ammend the question to be:AMA members, that post in the RCU AMAforum, do you build or buy? I think real world poll results would be very different.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:53 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

they would be just as skewed. probably in a different direction, but who knows which. the polls they put out in MA get about the same percentage of respondents as the polls here, or AMA elections for that matter.

be interesting to see the response rate for the polls that that newsletter links to. betting they have about a 10% response as well.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Ted Boz
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: HIGHSTRUT

Scratch building and kits go back a long way, I remember when Woolworth sold (sorta) scale rubber powered models for .10 cents and a larger kit for .25 cents. In fact during World War 11 they substituted the balsa ribs and bulkheads with cardboard, the reason I think was they needed the balsa for floatation devices,(I stand corrected if wrong). Talk about a heavy rubber powered model,needless to say they didn't fly very well. I remember sorting through the kit boxes to be sure the tissue paper was colored instead of white.

Still dwelling in the past, was the first ARF Jim Walkers control line .049 powered Fire Baby??? I cut my teeth flying u-control on that ARF. Jim was quite an innovator in the hobby in those years.
Somewhere I think I still have a picture from an old Air Trails magazine of Jim Walker flying 3 Fire Baby's at one time. Right hand, left hand and a control handle mounted on a helmet. Believe he did the demo in Times Square or somewhere in the middle of NY. His Fire Baby sold like hot cakes, not unlike some of todays inexpensive electic's. Huge boost for the hobby.

Attached is a couple pic's of my Buttercup 80 that I scratch built last winter. In a 1986 MA issue Fred Reese designed a 30" wingspan, 1/2 A, 3 channel plane called the Buttercup. For those of you aquainted with Fred's designs, this was one of those that stick in your mind. I had cut the article out and threw it in a file named "Someday". Well "someday" happened during Jan. of our long cold SD winter. I didn't have much to work with other than a half page plan which contained the side, top and wing views. Well, on the 27th of Jan. I got out the old butcher paper out and started drawing. I scaled it up until I had an 80 in. wing with the fuse and tail feathers in proportion. On March 29th the plane was complete and RTF. I finally did the maiden on it in May. An old four stroke Magnum 90 handled the chore quite easily. The maiden can only be described as a piece of cake. Other than a lot of side area that loves to weather vane on takeoff/landing, it is a "***** cat". It seems like my "Someday" folder never gets empty and winter is just around the corner again. BTW I wanted the Buttercup 80 to be "one of a kind", so other than a rib template the plans no longer exist. Once you get into scratch building, kit bashing or kit building, I think it becomes a little addictive.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73147.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	1504264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50775.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1504265  
Old 09-20-2010, 07:21 PM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: K-Bob
The results are not accurate unless you ammend the question to be: AMA members, that post in the RCU AMA forum, do you build or buy? I think real world poll results would be very different.
Since I posted it in the RCU forums why would I expect "real world" responses.
I just wanted to know what AMA members "here" were doing. Nothing more.
Yes, the "real world" may or may not be different.
Nothing to stop you from holding your own poll here or anywhere else.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:15 PM
K-Bob

ORIGINAL: K-Bob
The results are not accurate unless you ammend the question to be:AMA members, that post in the RCU AMAforum, do you build or buy? I think real world poll results would be very different.
Since I posted it in the RCU forums why would I expect "real world" responses.
I just wanted to know what AMA members "here" were doing. Nothing more.
Yes, the "real world" may or may not be different.
Nothing to stop you from holding your own poll here or anywhere else.
Just thought you might like touse accurate verbiage and get accurate results. No need for me to do a poll,poorly worded forum pollsare generally, and in the case of this one specifically, inaccurate.

See,
you could buy a kit and build it.
or
you could buy an ARF, not RTF or ARC
or you could buy a kit and have a probuild it for you
maybe you bought an ARF but you stripped it and rebuilt it.

so it's confusing where to place the bullet

(sorry to go all KE on you)
Old 09-25-2010, 01:59 AM
dbcisco
Banned

Thanks everyone for the input. I asked and was answered. I am pleased that there are so many people still building, I already knew everyone flys.
It isn't an accurate or comprehensive poll and I don't care, that was not the point of it.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:18 PM
ARUP

ORIGINAL: loser

Like I stated a few posts back....I am very suprised at the poll results. If they are accurate I then wonder why ~90% or so of planes currently ''on the market'' are ARF's?? If many people are still building I would think you would see a lot more kits for sale by the distributors.....just my $.02.

Steve
Maybe the arf purchasers keep buying- hoping for that 'Holy Grail of arf satifaction' whereas scratch and kit builders dedicate a little more love, time and effort to obtain the value of their purchase thereby getting closer to their 'Holy Grail'! When there weren't arf's you had to build, you had to learn, skills improved by rote activity. Now that there are arf's the building process and skillset is slowly eroding with time until only a few 'jedi master' builders are left. They aren't enough to support the kit industry and so the dilemma ensues! *sigh*
Old 09-28-2010, 09:30 PM
dbcisco
Banned

I hate to say it but there are some very nice ARF's and RTF's available. Some people buy cars and others build/restore them. Guess which are in the majority? I think the build/restore folks get more enjoyment and satisfaction out of the automotive or modeling experience.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:02 PM
ARUP

'57 VW, '59 VW and '58 MGA! I do the resto work. My Holy Grail of autos would be a Series I X-type coupe, silvery blue with red leather!!! Better than sex! Back in the day you had to know how to adjust valves and change your oil, among other things, too! Modern cars are throwaway plastic jellybean-on-wheels thingies that will never become antiques because the plastic parts sitting on the shelves rot as fast as the ones on the car. The cars are reliable for true plug and play function with nary any maintenance but when they 'go down' it is usually catastrophic in nature. The car parts are not rebuildable and usually needed total replacement. Mechanics nowadays are 'technicians' and parts changers, too. If the computer doesn't tell them what is wrong they have no diagnostic skills to sort the problem. (I've even made my own diagnostic instruments to set my electric fuel sender for my MGA!) I've had to tell a 'mechanic' what to do to fix my minivan when it quit for he couldn't figure it out. It's the same in the hobby and there isn't anything we can do about it but let market forces rule! I am cognizant of that... *sigh*. It just seems the whole arf thing 'dumbs down' the hobbyist in an insidious manner.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:07 PM
dbcisco
Banned

ORIGINAL: ARUP
It just seems the whole arf thing 'dumbs down' the hobbyist in an insidious manner.
I agree.
I like the RTF Kia to get to work, but I am slowly and enjoyably restoring the Z28.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:29 AM
tinner1

I realize a lot of ARF builders are pressed for time, and don't build. I also realize a lot "can't" build, ie don't have the tools, talent, patience, space in their house/apartment, or whatever to build. And that is A-OK with me. I just feel sort of sorry for anyone who hasn't built their own plane, and I don't mean assembling an ARF or almost ready to fly. TRUE there are a lot of people who get satisfaction out of just flying, BUT, I personally think they are missing a great part of our hobby.

I started back when you actually built your RADIO, not just your plane. A successful day at the field was bring home your airplane, and I don't mean as to "in one piece". I mean as in it didn't fly away! To this day there is not a time when I fly that at one point or another I watch my plane in amazement that I am controlling it from the ground. That something heavier than air, that I built, is flying. Maybe it's just the creativity my father instilled in me, and the pride he took and taught me about "a job well done". Something that seems to be missing in todays society...

Again, I don't have anything against the ARFers out there, it's just that I love to see the creativity of the guys that build. There is a hidden bond between guys that build their planes, that if you don't build you won't understand. And that is NOT a bad thing, only something I feel everyone should experience. One day, after "running my Vette through the gears", my wife asked "You get a kick out of that don't you". I told her, "If I had to explain it to you, I couldn't. If I could, you wouldn't understand anyway. It's something that is inside you". I feel the same way about building. Try it sometime, it may change your attitude towards what this great hobby should be for.....But please don't ask me to explain it......
Old 09-29-2010, 10:59 AM
ARUP

Hi tinner1- your post is excellent and I have the same feeling. I've bought arf's before. I kinda feel sorry for folks that aren't interested in building. Also, I would like to state I'm not slamming auto mechanics out there - but the profession is evolving to a different level. I know some great mechanics and some that are, well..., not so great. You get the point.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:37 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My first ARF was either a Walker 74 glider or Hornet rubber powered FF. My first glow powered ARF was an old Wen-Mac Aeromite control liner. These were prior to 1950. Also had both the Walker firebaby and Firebaby bipe. Always preffered building my own for flying, as opposed to buying something ARF/RTF. Mostly, with ARF/RTF, except for most of the FF planes, I have been dissapointed with the ARF/RTF, partly because many of the plastic planes, CL and FF were generally too heavy to fly well compared to what I was able to build myself. The genre has improved over the years since I startred in this hobby/sport, but I still prefer to build my own, whether from kits, plans, or scratch. While I do have a number of foam and wood ARFs, I have often been disapointed with the longevity, structural strength, and material quality of many of the wood ARFs I've had.

Of course, I do enjoy flying my Park Zone micro P-51.