RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Model Aviation Magazine (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/1015898-model-aviation-magazine.html)

EloyM 08-02-2003 06:44 AM

Model Aviation Magazine

Model Aviation has decided to cancel the bi-monthly "Electronics" column due to "lack of reader interest" . Your thoughts?

P-51B 08-02-2003 03:06 PM

Model Aviation Magazine

How was reader interest determined, I don't recall any survey?

s3nfo 08-03-2003 12:36 PM

Electronics

Eloy,

I always thought you wrote an informative and well written column with broad appeal. Is the decision final or is there anything we can do about it?

J_R 08-03-2003 01:07 PM

Re: Electronics

Originally posted by s3nfo
Eloy,

I always thought you wrote an informative and well written column with broad appeal. Is the decision final or is there anything we can do about it?

If you have good reasons for your opinion, you can try contacting the members of the Publications Committee. The members of the committee are on the AMA web site in the Member's Only section.

JR

EloyM 08-03-2003 04:35 PM

For Jerry N

It is final!
I also write on electronics in IMAA's "High Flight" magazine and will continue to submit articles to the others now and then. I also get a lot of coverage if events in Latin America in Traplet Pubs.

Red Scholefield 08-03-2003 07:08 PM

Technology is no longer pertinent

The demise of the Electronics column is another casualty in the ARF world of modeling. It is the era of instant gratification. When you can shake an airplane out of the box, get someone with the mechanical aptitude of a trained chimp to put it together for you should you not have achieved that level why do you need to waste your time learning something? :disappoin

The AMA is only following the trend. These people will support them with their dues and will give them no grief over how the organization is run. :cool:

While it is highly unlikely, technical columns in Model Aviation could stimulate some brain cells - then these few could start thinking and you all know where that leads to. :rolleyes:

Geistware 08-03-2003 10:09 PM

Model Aviation Magazine

Being an engineer, I found a few of your columns interesting from a technical viewpoint. I tend to agree with Red. I am one of the ARF guys he talks about. I work, fly, and family and I have to say in about that order. I am trying to work less and move more of that time to my family and with my new job transition, I have just about got it as family, fly, work. I do not want to spend time building planes. I don't even assemble my own ARF's because I can give a competent builder all my parts, and he can convert them to a RTF very easy. In actual dollars, it cost me 6 after tax work hours to pay for the assembly. For me and my schedule, it works!

Red Scholefield 08-03-2003 10:46 PM

au contraire

Originally posted by Geistware
Being an engineer, I found a few of your columns interesting from a technical viewpoint. I tend to agree with Red. I am one of the ARF guys he talks about.
mon ami - you are NOT a typical ARF flier - you posts indicate that you are not clueless about the subtleties of radio control. :D

abel_pranger 08-04-2003 01:55 PM

Re: Model Aviation Magazine

Originally posted by EloyM
Model Aviation has decided to cancel the bi-monthly "Electronics" column due to "lack of reader interest" . Your thoughts?
Aren't you the guy that opened his MA column about a year ago with a slam at "net surfers" and being "often appalled at the misinformation being passed around...?" And "though not one of the above mentioned," you "admit to browsing occasionally?"
Odd that you would seek opinions about reader interest in your column here.

Abel

Matt Kirsch 08-04-2003 05:00 PM

Model Aviation Magazine

Red,

It's these same checkbook modelers that are the loudest voices complaining that Model Aviation "doesn't focus on their area of interest." As you said, God forbid they actually learn anything. God forbid they broaden their horizons by reading columns about aspects of the hobby they don't necessarily participate in.

Model Aviation is simply giving the seeming majority of members exactly what they want.

*Crash*Johnson* 08-04-2003 05:30 PM

Model Aviation Magazine

Originally posted by P-51B
How was reader interest determined, I don't recall any survey?
They actually snuck in everyone's bathroom and stole the magazine back and had the pages analyzed for oils to see how many people read those articles then snuck them back in your bathroom while you slept.

Very efficient they are!

EloyM 08-04-2003 06:17 PM

FOR ABEL PRANGER

Yes, I did comment on the amount of misinformation, and opinions with no basis in fact, that we run into on the forums. It is still going on, and is bound to create problems for the less experienced.
However, I do not remember criticizing "net surfers" for doing so, and also don't remember saying that I never do it. I do remember getting a lot of mail agreeing with the opinion - but then, it is only an opinion, right!

Crashem 08-04-2003 07:03 PM

Model Aviation Magazine

Yes, I did comment on the amount of misinformation, and opinions with no basis in fact, that we run into on the forums. It is still going on, and is bound to create problems for the less experienced.
I'd agree with that statement 110%!!!!

Just read this forum. While not the most widely posted to on RCU it does seem to appeal a shall we say "interesting" crowd.

to make this even more fun all we gots to do is add religion into the mix.... Oh Boy I can see the fur flying already :D

NitroWoman 08-06-2003 11:19 AM

I'm Bummed

Eloy, I enjoyed your column every month. It was one of the first things I usually read. I enjoyed analyzing the circuits and even built a couple. I'm an electronic technician and I know your info was always accurate and informative. You will be missed by me. Thank-you for your efforts and I hope someone will pull their head out .. ..... ... and correct this atrocity.

Matt Kirsch 08-06-2003 02:55 PM

Model Aviation Magazine

No offense intended, but I'd dare say that the vast majority of those in the AMA are not electronics technicians, have no interest in building electronic circuits, and in fact have little interest in building anything. They just want to fly their ARF and they're being forced to join the AMA to do so. It's these people that the AMA is trying to accomodate.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the columns as well. However, it isn't another cookie-cutter ARF review, or a column on park fliers, so it has very little appeal to the membership at large.

BillHarris 08-06-2003 04:30 PM

Model Aviation Magazine

Abel:

Correct, there was and still is a great amount of misinformation on the Disinformation Superhighway. I agree with Eloy.

Eloy:

Whew, that is bad news. I, for one, will miss your informative articles.

Pretty soon, the high point of reading AM will be my monthly District Report... :eek:

Geistware 08-06-2003 07:15 PM

Model Aviation Magazine

Now this is a subject in which I have an interest. I could care less about who attended which contest. To say you visited a contest is like saying that you went to the grocery store. Does me no good. Now, if you want to say what was done this month to entice new members, benefit the sick and elderly, or benefit kids, I am going to be one of your most avid readers. Just don't list all the places that you visited and the people you met? I don't know them and I will get around to meeting some of them in person!

Originally posted by BillHarris
Abel:

Correct, there was and still is a great amount of misinformation on the Disinformation Superhighway. I agree with Eloy.

Eloy:

Whew, that is bad news. I, for one, will miss your informative articles.

Pretty soon, the high point of reading AM will be my monthly District Report... :eek:

NitroWoman 08-07-2003 10:53 AM

Model Aviation Magazine

So, Matt just where did I say you needed to be a electronic tech. to read his column. I was commenting on the fact that because I am a electronic tech I know his info was good stuff. I also thought that MA is supposed to be an enthusiast magazine and as such should appeal to all levels of interest. I also like to work on my own engines, does this mean that there should be no info in the magazines about engines. Also, should there be no plans or construction articles. I guess that since I'm not in the majority that my interests don't matter. Maybe the entire format of the magazine should be changed and then the name could be changed to " ARF's Are US". Sorry, but I was offended by your comments. :mad:

Matt Kirsch 08-07-2003 11:33 AM

Model Aviation Magazine

NitroWoman, I am starting to believe you're easily offended.

Where did I say you "had" to be an electronics technician?

Yes, because you're a tech, you know his column is good stuff. The truth is, the most vocal people in the AMA are not techs, and HAVE NO INTEREST IN BUILDING ELECTRONIC GADGETS FROM SCRATCH, and to them, his column is NOT good stuff, regardless of the quality of the content. It does not focus on their area of interest, BARFs or parkies, therefore it is wasted paper that they paid $58 in dues for. Have you not read the complaints about MA in this forum, and the letters in MA itself?

Fact of the matter is, what you describe in your most recent post is what would appeal to the largest segment of the AMA: A magazine with little or no technical content, just a dozen cookie-cutter "I assembled it according to the instructions" BARF reviews, a beginner's column, two or three park flier columns, and lots of big glossy pictures.

Yes, MA is SUPPOSED to be a magazine that appeals to all types of model aviation enthusiasts, but tell that to a typical BARFer, and they're all, "But...But... It doesn't focus on MY area of interest!" They don't get it.

IMHO, AMA management has it in their heads right now that most of the members HATE the magazine, and they're slowly changing it to be more like Backyard Flier. Next thing you know, they'll start putting in full-page pictures of "airplane chicks" acting like they're actually flying the plane knife-edge 6" in front of their face...with the motor/engine shut off!

NitroWoman 08-07-2003 12:13 PM

Me?? Offended???

Not easily offended, but I will defend my position. Your points are good and so are mine. Actually, it looks like we agree. And, I thought every "Airplane Chick" did knife edges 6" in front of their faces with the engine off. I know I do. :D

MustangFan 08-07-2003 04:45 PM

Model Aviation Magazine

:( Wish they would keep the electronics stuff in the mag.
Guess I'll have to read it in the other mags.

Maybe they will someday make the mag an option so we can elect "Not" receive it and lower our membership dues accordingly.

However, they probably would keep dues the same and charge "more" if you want the mag.

Disappointing ... from those who are trying to 'further' the hobby. :stupid:

*Crash*Johnson* 08-07-2003 05:54 PM

Re: Me?? Offended???

Originally posted by NitroWoman
Not easily offended, but I will defend my position. Your points are good and so are mine. Actually, it looks like we agree. And, I thought every "Airplane Chick" did knife edges 6" in front of their faces with the engine off. I know I do. :D
Nitrowoman sounds hot :D

Jim Branaum 08-07-2003 07:14 PM

Re: Me?? Offended???

Originally posted by NitroWoman
ROFLOL!

Nice style! Stick around. Many folks are too mundane to take your approach.

p.s. I said MANY, not all.

pinball-RCU 08-07-2003 09:08 PM

Model Aviation Magazine

Eloy, I just read your September article (adapting a 12v power supply), which I somehow missed on first reading. It was great! It seems like your style would be a good fit for R/C Report.

It's clear the AMA realizes there is something wrong with the magazine, and I would guess they'll make some mistakes before they get it right (if they do). Personally, I think they should update the design, add color, add white-space, add call-outs, use a larger font, use catchier headlines, and basically make the layout more modern before they throw out authors. If you pick up a magazine that has kept up with the times (say Popular Science) and MA, and open to a random page, you'll see what I mean. It's hard to believe anybody can wade through MA the way it is now.

Red Scholefield 08-07-2003 11:35 PM

Model Aviation Magazine

Originally posted by pinball
It's clear the AMA realizes there is something wrong with the magazine, and I would guess they'll make some mistakes before they get it right (if they do). Personally, I think they should update the design, add color, add white-space, add call-outs, use a larger font, use catchier headlines, and basically make the layout more modern before they throw out authors. If you pick up a magazine that has kept up with the times (say Popular Science) and MA, and open to a random page, you'll see what I mean. It's hard to believe anybody can wade through MA the way it is now.
You didn't mention R/C Model World (Traplet Publications) for an example of a REAL modeling magazine. Of course our own RC Report isn't all that shabby as far as content and value for the $ goes.

Red S.