RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   AMA and Notams (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11611667-ama-notams.html)

warbird_1 01-07-2015 06:38 PM

AMA and Notams

I just hopped on AMA's web site " as i do from time to time" to see if there's anything i should be aware of. On the main page i noticed the most current FAA notams and i had an idea. It would be very helpful to the affected notam areas if AMA could set up a alert VIA email to those clubs. I think the email alert should be emailed to both president and safety officer that has a valid email on file with AMA. This would be great help in not only from a safety stand point but as well as a legal standpoint as well . I have to ask you to be honest and ask yourself how often do you check notams? honestly for me ,not often enough. WB_1

JohnShe 01-07-2015 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by warbird_1 (Post 11956769)
I just hopped on AMA's web site " as i do from time to time" to see if there's anything i should be aware of. On the main page i noticed the most current FAA notams and i had an idea. It would be very helpful to the affected notam areas if AMA could set up a alert VIA email to those clubs. I think the email alert should be emailed to both president and safety officer that has a valid email on file with AMA. This would be great help in not only from a safety stand point but as well as a legal standpoint as well . I have to ask you to be honest and ask yourself how often do you check notams? honestly for me ,not often enough. WB_1

I thought that they already did that. I receive e-mails from my club announcing the rare NOTAM that happens in the Northern VA area whenever they are posted.

tailskid 01-07-2015 09:35 PM

I got one yesterday so no flying tomorrow till noon :(

warbird_1 01-08-2015 04:02 AM

interesting...... you guys are the first I've ever heard of receiving anything. Well that's good news We started a new club at our local airport and i was president for the first year and will be again this year and i haven't received any notifications of any kind probably because there was nothing going on our way . thanks for letting me know ,WB_1

bolar 01-08-2015 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by warbird_1 (Post 11956921)
interesting...... you guys are the first I've ever heard of receiving anything. Well that's good news We started a new club at our local airport and i was president for the first year and will be again this year and i haven't received any notifications of any kind probably because there was nothing going on our way . thanks for letting me know ,WB_1

I'm sure you provided the Lat/Long of your field when you chartered your club. I think that's how they figure where your are in regards to NOTAM's. Give them a call to make sure your on their list.

uLTRASPORT1000 01-08-2015 08:52 AM

I am the AMA contact person for my club, PARCS, here in Brooklyn. Get NOTAM notices all the time. Contact the AMA to see if your club has a listed contact.

PLANE JIM 01-18-2015 06:39 PM

In this day of technology-why rely on a club contact to notify his membership -why not the AMA send a email to the members based on your address-There is software that will give you gps coordinates for any address and in turn the email list could be populated and sent automatically. I understand that some individuals may not have email but that would be known by the club contact that usually contacts them usually by what ever means and of course continue contacting the club contacts.

acerc 01-18-2015 07:07 PM

My club gets them also, the president issues them via email to members as well as putting a sign on the gate and in the pit areas. And I do agree AMA could send them to individuals easily.

phlpsfrnk 01-19-2015 02:49 AM

While I agree it is a good idea for the AMA to notify local clubs and club officers of NOTAMs in a clubs vicinity it is the responsibility of responsible pilots to check for NOTAMs in the area one may be flying. The more visibility NOTAMs get the better however it is still the responsibility of the pilot.

AMA NOTAM site: http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...bs/notams.aspx
FAA NOTAM site: http://notams.aim.faa.gov/notamSearch/nsapp.html#/

Frank

Silent-AV8R 01-19-2015 06:44 AM

I like to use http://www.skyvector.com

Go to your particular area and you can see any current TFRs depicted on a variety of different bas maps. It is also a very useful tool for understanding the airspace in the area where you fly.

tailskid 01-19-2015 04:31 PM

I'm concerned about our current field and the upcoming "Big Game" (can't say supppppper bowl} as we are only a couple of miles from the stadium, in fact we can see it from our field. When will they say 'No more fun for you guys".......

radfordc 01-19-2015 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM (Post 11964488)
In this day of technology-why rely on a club contact to notify his membership -why not the AMA send a email to the members based on your address.

I'm just a plain old club member and I got this notice by email today:

"A FAA NOTAM/TFR has been issued for the area surrounding Topeka, KS beginning at 6:45p on Wednesday, 1/21, and continuing until 1:30p CST on Thursday, 1/22. The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area. Outdoor radio control model aircraft operations are prohibited within the 30nm circles for the specific times listed below. Control Line and Free Flight modelers should use discretion when operating within the TFR. Please note that TFRs are subject to change with very short notice. Check back often for the most current NOTAM/TFR information. Timely alerts are also available on the web at: www.modelaircraft.org/membership/clubs/notams.aspx or on your cell phone at: Twitter.com/amagov.
See the link to the TFR below for more detailed information regarding the restrictions:
Map View of the Affected Area
View the TFR in Google Earth
(Open the KML file or download and open in Google Earth)
  • Area 1 (1/21, 6:45p – 8:00p CST)
    (30nm radius from Latitude: 36º56'55"N, Longitude: 95º39'59"W)
  • Area 2 (1/21, 6:45p – 8:00p CST)
    (10nm radius from Latitude: 36º56'55"N, Longitude: 95º39'59"W)
  • Area 3 (1/21, 7:30p – 1/22, 12:45p CST)
    (30nm radius from Latitude: 38º58'18"N, Longitude: 95º15'53"W)
  • Area 4 (1/21, 7:30p – 1/22, 12:45p CST)
    (10nm radius from Latitude: 38º58'18"N, Longitude: 95º15'53"W)
  • Area 5 (1/22, 12:15p – 1:30p CST)
    (30nm radius from Latitude: 36º56'55"N, Longitude: 95º39'59"W)
  • Area 6 (1/22, 12:15p – 1:30p CST)
    (10nm radius from Latitude: 36º56'55"N, Longitude: 95º39'59"W)
TFR - 5/4882
Regards

Government Relations Support Team"

phlpsfrnk 01-20-2015 02:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tailskid (Post 11965112)
I'm concerned about our current field and the upcoming "Big Game" (can't say supppppper bowl} as we are only a couple of miles from the stadium, in fact we can see it from our field. When will they say 'No more fun for you guys".......

Is this what you're looking for?

[ATTACH]2065595[/IMG]

The actual TFR has not been issued yet but the time will probably be as stated from 1525 local to 2359 local (3:25 PM till 11:59 PM) after the game. I would advise you suspend operations at your field during that time.

Frank

BarracudaHockey 01-20-2015 04:58 AM

Yea, they didn't play when it was here, personal visits to the club fields to make sure everyone was aware of the rules.

tailskid 01-20-2015 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
But nothing is being said of the game this weekend :):):) (Pro Bowl for you non-football people).....and guess what showed up at our field this morning......right at the end of the runway!!!

Originally Posted by phlpsfrnk (Post 11965307)
Is this what you're looking for?

[ATTACH]2065595[/IMG]

The actual TFR has not been issued yet but the time will probably be as stated from 1525 local to 2359 local (3:25 PM till 11:59 PM) after the game. I would advise you suspend operations at your field during that time.

Frank

phlpsfrnk 01-21-2015 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by tailskid (Post 11965589)
But nothing is being said of the game this weekend :):):) (Pro Bowl for you non-football people).....and guess what showed up at our field this morning......right at the end of the runway!!!

Okay this is the one you're looking for;

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...m?newsId=11127

Looks like the balloon was doing tethered operations, was it preapproved? Which way is the stadium in that photo?

Frank

warbird_1 01-21-2015 03:43 AM

We live in the finger lakes of NY and don't really get much action here, maybe that's why i have never received anything. I'll check with AMA today to confirm that have the proper info needed to contact me as i've been president for over a year now.

littlecrankshaf 01-21-2015 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by warbird_1 (Post 11965901)
We live in the finger lakes of NY and don't really get much action here, maybe that's why i have never received anything. I'll check with AMA today to confirm that have the proper info needed to contact me as i've been president for over a year now.

Well, I guess things are finally looking up. Instead of us bemoaning TFRs that affect model aviation, the thrust now is to see just how many conduits we can have...