RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Drone VS Aircraft - Mid Air Collisions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11630500-drone-vs-aircraft-mid-air-collisions.html)

Chris P. Bacon 06-29-2016 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12229338)
One so far (mid-air at the airshow), and many near misses (otherwise known in the safety trade as "leading indicators")

What's the NTSB report number on the "one" you're referring to above?

Chris P. Bacon 06-29-2016 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12229368)
You asked for an example of evidence supporting a risk to manned aircraft from drones, I provided link to Virginia Tech Engineering study.

That's a good one. Glad to see simulation being used in this area.

You then asked for a single example of a mid-air, and I provided one.

You mentioned one. You have the NTSB reference to this one?

Again, if your case is so compelling that there is no risk, put your argument into a letter to the Governor and defend the hobby.

I never said there was no risk. However, the FAA's own data on wildlife strikes shows an exponentially greater number of wildlife strikes actually occurring than from non-commercial sUAS strikes.

But, as you've said, you won't. Perhaps you can't make a compelling argument? The world wonders.

The world is in a perpetual state of wonder.

Jaybird 06-29-2016 12:40 PM

Just received this e-mail...

https://ci4.googleusercontent.com/pr...o_original.png
KEEP YOUR DRONE AWAY FROM WILDFIRES
There are lots of great places to fly your drones, but over or near a wildfire isn’t one of them. In fact, drone operators who interfere with wildfire suppression efforts are subject to civil penalties of up to $27,500 and possible criminal prosecution.
Here’s why it’s important: Aerial firefighting aircraft, such as airtankers and helicopters, fly at very low altitudes, just a couple hundred feet above the ground and in the same airspace as hobby and recreational drones. This creates the potential for a mid-air collision that could seriously injure or kill wildland firefighters in the air or on the ground.
As a result of unlawful drone operations near fires this year, fire managers have temporarily grounded all aerial firefighting aircraft on several occasions for safety reasons. Shutting down firefighting operations could cause wildfires to become larger and can threaten lives, property, and valuable natural and cultural resources.
The bottom line is “If You Fly, We Can’t."
Please fly responsibly – keep your drone away from wildfires.

Jaybird

CESSNA 421 06-29-2016 12:58 PM

I received the same email as Jaybird, in the past has any fixed wing model pilot ever received a notice like this? I guess it has to do with the drone craze!!!

Jaybird 06-29-2016 01:06 PM

I don't remember getting this kind of notification before the drone/FPV craze. As a fixed wing model and full size pilot, I never would have even considered trying to fly a plane from dirt road in the middle of the woods next to a wild fire just so I could get great YouTube material. It's just common sense to stay out of the way and let the firefighters risking their lives do their jobs without interference or threat from some idiot having "fun".

Jaybird

ira d 06-29-2016 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by franklin_m (Post 12229098)
I genuinely believe there is a risk to manned aircraft due to sUAS, and it's past time to segregate them in the airspace. I'm an advocate for operational rules:

- 400 foot AGL nationally
- No flight inside lateral limits of class B or C w/o written standard operating procedure agreement w/ cognizant ATC facility
- No flight inside lateral limits of class D w/o approval of cognizant ATC facility using method preferred by the airport / tower
- Mandatory notification of all other airports when flying within 5 miles, with airport reserved the right to deny
- No flight inside lateral limits of Military Training Routes during published hours of operation
- TFRs that apply to "all aircraft" also apply to "model aircraft" whether or not "model aircraft" are specifically mentioned
- Altitude limits may be exceeded if approved by the FAA and operating under a published NOTAM to ensure full scale aircraft are notified
- Regardless of the circumstances, the sUAS operator is responsible for ensuring the sUAS avoids manned aircraft, people on the ground, or personal property.

Airports should not have the right to deny someone the permission to fly their model just because they are within 5 miles of the airport. The only time a airport should have any say should be if the airport can
show that RC operations are conflicting with traffic in or out of the airport.

porcia83 06-29-2016 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421 (Post 12229523)
I received the same email as Jaybird, in the past has any fixed wing model pilot ever received a notice like this? I guess it has to do with the drone craze!!!

Yup, it's all about the drones. Because fixed wing aircraft with camera's weren't flying at 5 or even 10,000 feet, say 5 or even 10 years ago right?

Chris P. Bacon 06-29-2016 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by CESSNA 421 (Post 12229523)

How would the FAA have ever contacted you in past without having your email address on file?

porcia83 06-29-2016 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon (Post 12229626)
How would the FAA have ever contacted you in past without having your email address on file?

LoL....you and logic....stop already! :p

Chris P. Bacon 06-29-2016 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12229641)
LoL....you and logic....stop already! :p

I'll try....:)

TimJ 06-30-2016 07:52 AM

Franklin you need to be more worried about Turtles striking aircraft than you do sUAS AKA model aircraft or drones. There are absolutely NO stats that show there is a major threat from drones. NONE!

porcia83 06-30-2016 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by TimJ (Post 12229819)
Franklin you need to be more worried about Turtles striking aircraft than you do sUAS AKA model aircraft or drones. There are absolutely NO stats that show there is a major threat from drones. NONE!

You must have read the same report I did which said in part:

During 2014, 330, 18, 13, and 8 species of birds, terrestrial mammals, bats, and reptiles, respectively, were reported as struck by civil aircraft in USA.

NEVER sell the turtles short...have we learned nothing from the kids fable? :rolleyes::p

porcia83 06-30-2016 08:39 AM

Holy cow...I went back and double checked that report...this is amazing:

Reptiles
Turtles
Turtles
Florida soft shell turtle
Pond slider
Eastern mud turtle
Chicken turtle
Eastern box turtle
Common snapping turtle
Diamondback terrapin
Painted turtle
Florida red
-
bellied cooter
Gopher tortoise
Alligator snapping turtle
Coastal plain cooter

183 Turtle strikes. 0.0 drone strikes. 1 plastic bag near miss/strike.

Sport_Pilot 06-30-2016 09:04 AM

How do you have a turtle strike? Prop of fan sucking them off the ground? Or is there some strange turtle flying hobby I am not aware of?

Chris P. Bacon 06-30-2016 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot (Post 12229847)
How do you have a turtle strike? Prop of fan sucking them off the ground? Or is there some strange turtle flying hobby I am not aware of?

They're Jumping Turtles.

Sport_Pilot 06-30-2016 10:11 AM

I see snappers, sliders, and even a cooler, but no jumping turtles?

TimJ 06-30-2016 10:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a victim now!

Chris P. Bacon 06-30-2016 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by TimJ (Post 12229884)
Here is a victim now!

Funny!

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...6&d=1467312301

Chris P. Bacon 06-30-2016 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot (Post 12229871)
I see snappers, sliders, and even a cooler, but no jumping turtles?

Perhaps they were all airborne while you were looking at the ground. Don't let those little guys fool you.

porcia83 06-30-2016 11:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot (Post 12229847)

It's a new species...typically found around nuclear reactors. And this one is BELOW 400 feet too!

[ATTACH]2170508[/IMG]

Chris P. Bacon 06-30-2016 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12229894)
It's a new species...typically found around nuclear reactors. And this one is BELOW 400 feet too!

[ATTACH]2170508[/IMG]

Another one over 400', just what we need....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...8&d=1467314164

porcia83 06-30-2016 11:33 AM

pics are screwy today, can't seem to load them directly.

franklin_m 07-04-2016 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon (Post 12229482)
You then asked for a single example of a mid-air, and I provided one.

You mentioned one. You have the NTSB reference to this one?

NTSB Identification: CEN10LA487A

http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.av...10LA487&akey=1

"The AMA Safety Code stated that model aircraft pilots should yield right of way to all man carrying aircraft... [emphasis added]"

franklin_m 07-04-2016 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by TimJ (Post 12229819)

So exactly how many sUAS / full scale aircraft strikes are you - TimJ - willing to accept before you deem there to be enough to warrant action? It seems you're willing to tolerate some, so give us a number.

franklin_m 07-04-2016 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by ira d (Post 12229553)
Airports should not have the right to deny someone the permission to fly their model just because they are within 5 miles of the airport.

They've had the authority for a couple years now. Per [4910-13], DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION, Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, page 13 & 14:

"Finally, the statute sets a requirement for model aircraft operating within 5 miles of an airport to notify the airport operator and control tower, where applicable, prior to operating. If the model aircraft operator provides notice of forthcoming operations which are then not authorized by air traffic or objected to by the airport operator, the FAA expects the model aircraft operator will not conduct the proposed flights. The FAA would consider flying model aircraft over the objections of FAA air traffic or airport operators to be endangering the safety of the NAS. [emphasis added]"

https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/model_..._spec_rule.pdf