RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   The RCU AMA presidential poll !!!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11631809-rcu-ama-presidential-poll.html)

init4fun 08-13-2016 05:11 PM

The RCU AMA presidential poll !!!!!

What do ya say we do a poll for AMA President as though we ourselves here at RCU were running the election . Everybody votes for who they want and if you want to talk up your candidate in a post , great ! let's hear all the good things you believe your guy will bring to the position . If you want to just vote and not say a word , great ! Vote for who ya like and stay as private about it as you feel comfortable choosing to be . Now please , I want this to be a fun "straw poll" just to see how our results will stack up against the real results come the actual election time and so please no attacking someone who likes a different candidate than you do , let's pretend for this one thread that we really ARE all on line friends brought together here because we belong to and believe in the AMA . Now I will provide not only the three names that will appear on the real ballot , I will provide a fourth choice for a write in candidate since it's my understanding that the real election does provide for such . If you do happen to vote the write in candidate , it will of course be your decision if you decide to let folks know who you feel that write in should be , or if you simply vote for a write in but remain silent .

init4fun 08-14-2016 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12246505)
Nice , 10 votes in a bit over half a day , 4 for the write in , 3 for R. Hanson , 1 for L. Tougas , and two for E. Williams . I really hope there is a huge participation in this poll to see if we can "predict" the outcome of the real election . RCU in my opinion is just as good of a gathering place of RCers as any to sample a cross section of the AMA population and wouldn't it be great if our final results mirrored the actual election ?

:) Twelve votes in a bit over 24 hours , not bad , not bad at all .

init4fun 10-22-2016 06:16 PM

Well as the election draws near I figured I'd give this thread a bump and see if we can get any more votes . As it stands , the write in is in the lead , could you imagine if the real election produced similar results ?

init4fun 10-23-2016 12:47 PM

:cool: Bah , forget that Clinton VS Trump stuff , we've got the Important election happening right here ! Get your votes in folks , vote early and often and don't forget to bring cousin Clem to the polls come votin day !

porcia83 10-24-2016 03:46 AM

Virtually no news from the candidates since announcing. Most just keep updating their own website with a pic or two. Tiano's public FB page petered out quickly, perhaps his private one is doing better. Tougas's is chock full of campaign stop announcements all over the country at fixed wing events (not even any love for the tradtional helis?) , most of which are outside his district. He was in TX during the MR/FPV gig where 200 pilots from 38 countries gathered. Guess the weather was better in Houston and Dallas. All the travel got me wondering, is he using AMA funds to travel to other districts to campaign for the presidency position while giant events are going on in his own district that he doesn't attend? That wouldn't seem to kosher to me. Thought it was curious too that nobody else picked up and that given all the interest here on membership dues and what the AMA does with them. At the risk of being told I was being harsh or attacking him, etc etc...I went ahead and shot him an e-mail last week asking him about that. Must be busy traveling, he hasn't responded. I'll give the thread another bump if and when he responds!

init4fun 10-24-2016 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12270337)
Virtually no news from the candidates since announcing. Most just keep updating their own website with a pic or two. Tiano's public FB page petered out quickly, perhaps his private one is doing better. Tougas's is chock full of campaign stop announcements all over the country at fixed wing events (not even any love for the tradtional helis?) , most of which are outside his district. He was in TX during the MR/FPV gig where 200 pilots from 38 countries gathered. Guess the weather was better in Houston and Dallas. All the travel got me wondering, is he using AMA funds to travel to other districts to campaign for the presidency position while giant events are going on in his own district that he doesn't attend? That wouldn't seem to kosher to me. Thought it was curious too that nobody else picked up and that given all the interest here on membership dues and what the AMA does with them. At the risk of being told I was being harsh or attacking him, etc etc...I went ahead and shot him an e-mail last week asking him about that. Must be busy traveling, he hasn't responded. I'll give the thread another bump if and when he responds!

:cool: Thank You for the response to this thread . I too have noticed precious little news from any of the candidates in any official AMA communications to me (M.A. magazine , AMA Emails , or any other method) . I had hoped maybe the October M.A. would have had follow on statements from the candidates because I'm not into the whole FaceBook thing and would have liked to hear more from them , maybe even in good old fashioned campaign ads sent to the AMA club's websites to be published for the club members to read . But no , nothing new here , and believe it or not as it's getting down to crunch time I have still not yet decided .

:( Now , I would hope like Hell that no candidate is using AMA funds to travel specifically for the purpose of campaigning and if that is indeed happening the membership has the right to know about it . If someone was only going to events in their own district and using AMA funds I think it would be pretty hard to nail down whether the intent of the trip was campaign based or AMA official business based , but travel outside of one's own district that includes campaigning of course most certainly should be the candidate's own money spent unless we're ready to pay for the campaign travels of ALL the candidates , which I highly doubt the membership at large would be agreeable to .

I will be watching to see the results of your communication and if no answer is received from him I'd send the request again , possibly by the week's end , just to assure it wasn't zapped by a spam filter .

LJE4357 10-24-2016 02:09 PM

Can Trump run in here too!

porcia83 10-24-2016 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12270363)
:cool: Thank You for the response to this thread . I too have noticed precious little news from any of the candidates in any official AMA communications to me (M.A. magazine , AMA Emails , or any other method) . I had hoped maybe the October M.A. would have had follow on statements from the candidates because I'm not into the whole FaceBook thing and would have liked to hear more from them , maybe even in good old fashioned campaign ads sent to the AMA club's websites to be published for the club members to read . But no , nothing new here , and believe it or not as it's getting down to crunch time I have still not yet decided .

:( Now , I would hope like Hell that no candidate is using AMA funds to travel specifically for the purpose of campaigning and if that is indeed happening the membership has the right to know about it . If someone was only going to events in their own district and using AMA funds I think it would be pretty hard to nail down whether the intent of the trip was campaign based or AMA official business based , but travel outside of one's own district that includes campaigning of course most certainly should be the candidate's own money spent unless we're ready to pay for the campaign travels of ALL the candidates , which I highly doubt the membership at large would be agreeable to .

I will be watching to see the results of your communication and if no answer is received from him I'd send the request again , possibly by the week's end , just to assure it wasn't zapped by a spam filter .

I wouldn't have a problem with any of them traveling within their districts and campaigning, it would be hard to say they shouldn't do that as part of their job responsibilities (at least imo) but I don't think it's the best way to get their message out. One would hope and think they already have own district locked in. I would also expect to see a little more interest or even response from all of them the closer to the final week or so to vote.

init4fun 10-26-2016 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by LJE4357 (Post 12270541)
Can Trump run in here too!

Larry I wouldn't be at all surprised if some folks went and wrote in Trump or Clinton as a joke , especially if they don't really care who gets the position .

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12270578)
I wouldn't have a problem with any of them traveling within their districts and campaigning, it would be hard to say they shouldn't do that as part of their job responsibilities (at least imo) but I don't think it's the best way to get their message out. One would hope and think they already have own district locked in. I would also expect to see a little more interest or even response from all of them the closer to the final week or so to vote.

I will say that I don't really feel like I know any of them enough to make a truly informed decision . My hope was that the October M.A. would have had further statements but I guess maybe I will be forced to seek out whatever I can find on facebook & such , and see what comes up that way .

LJE4357 10-26-2016 01:41 PM

I remember the days before the internet, we would see several months of write up's in MA. Now it's one month. Only one I seen doing anything on the internet was Frank. Maybe these other guys can't type very fast. I wouldn't have been all that hard to have setup a real time debate here on line. All we needed to when it was going to happen. The candidates could have done it from home. They would have had a Mic and camera.

porcia83 10-26-2016 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by LJE4357 (Post 12271189)
I remember the days before the internet, we would see several months of write up's in MA. Now it's one month. Only one I seen doing anything on the internet was Frank. Maybe these other guys can't type very fast. I wouldn't have been all that hard to have setup a real time debate here on line. All we needed to when it was going to happen. The candidates could have done it from home. They would have had a Mic and camera.

All of them have a presence online one way or another, and some even have "surrogates" championing their candidacies as well through various means, all perfectly acceptable. That you have seen none of the 3 on the ballot come here should speak volumes, even after being given a specific invitation.

init4fun 10-26-2016 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12271227)
All of them have a presence online one way or another, and some even have "surrogates" championing their candidacies as well through various means, all perfectly acceptable. That you have seen none of the 3 on the ballot come here should speak volumes, even after being given a specific invitation.

Which then follows right into the question of ; Did any of the three appear at any other hobby website (other than the AMA's of course) ?

I truly do not read at RCG anymore because the bright colors and general layout of the page make my eyes tired after looking at it for a while . That ain't a shot at RCG , I'm sure lots of folks like the more modern look of it and that's fine , it's just not for me . I do read at F.G. because I find that somewhat easier on the eyes and I also read at W.F. and haven't seen any of them appear at those sites either . I will say that I think if they had came to post here the people here would have been generally well behaved , or Ken would have corrected them if they didn't , and that I believe most would have treated them with respect if for no other reason than what I've said previously , we have 3 candidates on the ballot who all appear to be well dedicated to the hobby (and of course also the write in who is dominating in this poll so far) , and any one of them should make a fine AMA President .

porcia83 10-27-2016 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12271249)
Which then follows right into the question of ; Did any of the three appear at any other hobby website (other than the AMA's of course) ?

I truly do not read at RCG anymore because the bright colors and general layout of the page make my eyes tired after looking at it for a while . That ain't a shot at RCG , I'm sure lots of folks like the more modern look of it and that's fine , it's just not for me . I do read at F.G. because I find that somewhat easier on the eyes and I also read at W.F. and haven't seen any of them appear at those sites either . I will say that I think if they had came to post here the people here would have been generally well behaved , or Ken would have corrected them if they didn't , and that I believe most would have treated them with respect if for no other reason than what I've said previously , we have 3 candidates on the ballot who all appear to be well dedicated to the hobby (and of course also the write in who is dominating in this poll so far) , and any one of them should make a fine AMA President .

Don't know if other sites extended the invite like this one did, but I know they have been here in the past. Ample evidence to see why they wouldn't choose to come back,imo. One reason, amongst a few, is a politicians desire to control their narrative as much as possible. That's difficult for any of them to do on sites/threads they can't control, like they could on their own FB page, or website. All the elections will be over soon enough and hopefully things will get back to abnormal. :)

rcmiket 10-27-2016 03:36 AM

Funny thing is only one Frank T. actually took the time to come on here and answer questions even when it got personal. The other 3 just ignored the offer.Really a shame I would have liked to read their answers to questions put to them.
Remember to vote ,

Mike

porcia83 10-27-2016 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by rcmiket (Post 12271333)
Funny thing is only one Frank T. actually took the time to come on here and answer questions even when it got personal. The other 3 just ignored the offer.Really a shame I would have liked to read their answers to questions put to them.
Remember to vote ,

Mike

LoL..how else are questions supposed to be put to candidates, non personally? I guess only the softball easy questions are supposed to be asked of those looking for our votes. Like I said before, if they can't handle the easy questions from us, that should be a huge red flag about how fit they are to serve as the president. So far, one showed how completely unfit he is. But ya, the other three have stayed away. ;)

Still no word fro Tougas...all quite on that front. Must be busy with travel. Looks like he had a great time in TX.

astrohog 10-27-2016 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12271414)
LoL..how else are questions supposed to be put to candidates, non personally? I guess only the softball easy questions are supposed to be asked of those looking for our votes. Like I said before, if they can't handle the easy questions from us, that should be a huge red flag about how fit they are to serve as the president. So far, one showed how completely unfit he is. But ya, the other three have stayed away. ;)

Still no word fro Tougas...all quite on that front. Must be busy with travel. Looks like he had a great time in TX.

LOL. There's some fuzzy logic!!
The three that chose NOT to come here and answer questions (easy or not) are smart (because they can control the dialogue, or lack thereof) but the one that did come answer the questions is completely unfit for office?

You are a hoot!

Astro

porcia83 10-27-2016 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by astrohog (Post 12271452)
LOL. There's some fuzzy logic!!
The three that chose NOT to come here and answer questions (easy or not) are smart (because they can control the dialogue, or lack thereof) but the one that did come answer the questions is completely unfit for office?

You are a hoot!

Astro

I aim to please. You might have read into my statements too much though.

From a strategic standpoint, yes the three that didn't come here were probably wise to do this ...now follow along here closely... because in doing so they don't lose the ability to control the discussion. See how that works? On their site, they have total control. On their FB page, they have total control. Here, not so much. Crafty eh? It's a political thing, something Bush used to call "strategery". :)

Now, to untwist the rest of the comment. Tiano isn't deemed unfit for office (for me) because he came here to answer questions, good golly no. ( Did anyone not see where that was going to lead though, ?) He's unit because of the nebulous non specific position he has taken on where the AMA should go regarding "traditional" whatever, but more importantly because of his completely ill mannered temperament, lack of self control, and the fact that he has repeatedly threatened the people whom he seeks to lead. Oh I know folks loved the way he stood up for himself, it's o/k for him to do that, but not for folks to dare to question him. But really.....presidential material? Not for me.

I'm gonna +1 Mike though and echo his sentiment.....remember to vote. Get the spelling of the name right too! :)

astrohog 10-27-2016 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12271465)
I aim to please. You might have read into my statements too much though.

Well, more than you will admit to anyway! LOL

Originally Posted by porcia83
From a strategic standpoint, yes the three that didn't come here were probably wise to do this ...now follow along here closely... because in doing so they don't lose the ability to control the discussion. See how that works? On their site, they have total control. On their FB page, they have total control. Here, not so much. Crafty eh? It's a political thing, something Bush used to call "strategery". :)

May be crafty, but it is certainly not good for the voters. In my book, that is enough of a reason to dismiss them as viable candidates. If they won't answer my questions now, why would I expect them to answer them if elected?

porcia83 10-27-2016 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by astrohog (Post 12271474)
Well, more than you will admit to anyway! LOL

May be crafty, but it is certainly not good for the voters. In my book, that is enough of a reason to dismiss them as viable candidates. If they won't answer my questions now, why would I expect them to answer them if elected?

Who is stopping you from asking them questions? Just because you can't do it here doesn't mean they aren't available to you right? Go to their sites, hit them up on Facebook. Just last week I did that with Tougas. Perhaps when he's finished his traveling he'll respond to my questions. I wouldn't rule him out of contention just because he doesn't answer a question or two, but it certainly wouldn't be a check mark in the "plus" column.

They could use this platform to interact with possible voters, but clearly have chosen not to.

astrohog 10-27-2016 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by porcia83 (Post 12271484)
who is stopping you from asking them questions? Just because you can't do it here doesn't mean they aren't available to you right? Go to their sites, hit them up on facebook. Just last week i did that with tougas. Perhaps when he's finished his traveling he'll respond to my questions. I wouldn't rule him out of contention just because he doesn't answer a question or two, but it certainly wouldn't be a check mark in the "plus" column.

They could use this platform to interact with possible voters, but clearly have chosen not to.

lol

porcia83 10-27-2016 02:42 PM

I think you've finally figured it out.

nitro_bill 10-28-2016 09:44 AM

just found my ballot. who should i vote for and why? is it to late to still send it in?

nitro_bill 10-28-2016 09:46 AM

any rumors on who is winning?

rcmiket 10-28-2016 02:14 PM

You see the poll what do you think? I believe your ballot needs to be mailed by 11-8

Mike

porcia83 10-28-2016 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by nitro_bill (Post 12271769)
just found my ballot. who should i vote for and why? is it to late to still send it in?

You still have time. You should vote for the best candidate.