RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Everything I enjoy about the hobby is crumbling. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11656090-everything-i-enjoy-about-hobby-crumbling.html)

RichinTx 11-01-2018 07:39 AM

Everything I enjoy about the hobby is crumbling.

First kit building....giving way to all these ARFs and foamys.

Then glow/gas engines.....giving way to electrics and LiPo's

Then freedom...giving way to overreaching regulation.

What's next?

Very depressing.

The only real positive in the recent past is the spread spectrum technology.

fliers1 11-01-2018 10:55 AM

If there is no market for airplane kits, glow/gas engines and no one to stop the deep pocket industry and government from taking over..Qui sera sera

init4fun 11-01-2018 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by RichinTx (Post 12475208)

What's next?

Very depressing.

Being more of a "glass half full" kinda guy , I haven't seen any of the new developments change what I enjoy to fly . There still are kits and glow engines , and as far as regulations goes the FAA has thought we WERE staying under 400 feet since they published Advisory Circular 91-57 on June 9 1981 . We got away with flying over 400 feet for 37 years , not a bad run ......

Appowner 11-01-2018 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by RichinTx (Post 12475208)

What's next?

Very depressing.

I agree, it is not the hobby I was first introduced to by my mother and uncle. I for one do not like where I see it going.

foodstick 11-01-2018 05:40 PM

While I agree with a lot of what your saying.. I have had so many projects of scale planes build and fly well with electric power. Using high torque motors with big props is fun, and does make a nice sound (if not loud)

I never could make a glow motor run right..and I hated getting glow fuel on planes I had poured hours into ,making them look nice.

Also if you fly scale, the power setup can be done very cheap, and you can move the same batteries plane to plane..

speedracerntrixie 11-01-2018 05:55 PM

IMO the hobby is and always been exactly what you make of it. Although we have fewer kit options, we have more power options. Traditional building materials are getting more difficult to obtain. It's just a bit more work these days if you are a builder/flyer. For me the rewards are still worth the effort however I would love to see the hobby move away from corporation produced goods and back to mostly cottage industry. I do see some of this happening now with small kit laser cutters and some small manufacturing of reproduction kits.

r ward 11-03-2018 08:06 AM

ya know, things like the friendliness of forums have something to do with the hobby's demise as well. when people are new and they come to a forum it doesn't help enthusiasm to see replies that don't answer questions, or dismissing the question as old and then seeing accusations of "having an attitude" when a complaint is made about not getting answers to the questions asked. then loo around a little and see that these posts are coming from the main contributors on the forum. there is more usefulness in simply answering a question than giving a biased opinion about a subject matter or the OP. other people may have the same question, come on this site see all the crap and leave, thinking "these guys are way too condescending for me to ask my question".

speedracerntrixie 11-03-2018 11:48 AM

Did you jus post an off topic reply to complain about off topic replies?

Desertlakesflying 11-03-2018 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by r ward (Post 12475700)
ya know, things like the friendliness of forums have something to do with the hobby's demise as well. when people are new and they come to a forum it doesn't help enthusiasm to see replies that don't answer questions, or dismissing the question as old and then seeing accusations of "having an attitude" when a complaint is made about not getting answers to the questions asked. then loo around a little and see that these posts are coming from the main contributors on the forum. there is more usefulness in simply answering a question than giving a biased opinion about a subject matter or the OP. other people may have the same question, come on this site see all the crap and leave, thinking "these guys are way too condescending for me to ask my question".

Like this comment^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Right?

Desertlakesflying 11-03-2018 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12475735)
Did you jus post an off topic reply to complain about off topic replies?

If you've read any of his other posts and replies you would know that is exactly what happened.

speedracerntrixie 11-03-2018 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying (Post 12475747)
If you've read any of his other posts and replies you would know that is exactly what happened.

Depends on your point of view I guess. I have seen a couple of times where people came forward with solid advise just to have him bite their heads off. He needs to keep more of an open mind IMO.

Appowner 11-04-2018 12:35 AM

And the two of you just made his point. Congratulations!

init4fun 11-04-2018 06:53 AM

Ok , back to the original topic ;

And here's the part of this thread that I simply don't get ......

If the ARF , Electric , and increased regulation aspects of the hobby had eliminated "Traditional" kit built glow flown RC model airplanes altogether , sure , I'd be pretty bummed out and likely be posting such threads myself .

BUT !!!

There still ARE kits , glow engines , and people are still building/flying traditional RC model airplanes , despite having to get an FAA number !

In short , if I couldn't practice my area of interest in the hobby sure I'd be sad , but since I CAN still build , fly glow , and fly within the new FAA rules I'm certainly NOT gonna go lamenting what the other guy is getting HIS kicks outta flying ! Sure , this isn't the 1950s anymore and not everyone is flying RC aircraft that look like mine , but just how is that fact supposed to diminish MY enjoyment of the hobby ? Maybe folks oughta be a bit more concerned about what they themselves are flying and not let the choices of others bring about the laments of "My Hobby is crumbling" ?

PS , this being the AMA subforum , I can not see where folk's choice of ARF or Electric RC flying machine is an AMA concern/problem ?

r ward 11-04-2018 06:58 AM

hook, sinker and bobber !.

speedracerntrixie 11-04-2018 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Appowner (Post 12475832)
And the two of you just made his point. Congratulations!

How do you come to that conclusion? Did you read the thread where he asked if anyone used hot melt glue to build their airplanes? No replies for two days. First guy who did reply stated it was a poor choice and promptly scolded because Rward DID NOT ask about suitability. Apparently he was just looking for guys to reply " yes " and nothing more? If not looking for complete information regarding the topic why post at all?

r ward 11-04-2018 07:35 AM

hey Speed, that's enough, now,....back to the subject matter,....or I'll report you !.

speedracerntrixie 11-04-2018 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by r ward (Post 12475896)
hey Speed, that's enough, now,....back to the subject matter,....or I'll report you !.

Be my guest, nothing I said violates RCU rules of posting. Your admission of trolling however does.

Appowner 11-04-2018 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12475881)

If the ARF , Electric , and increased regulation aspects of the hobby had eliminated "Traditional" kit built glow flown RC model airplanes altogether , sure , I'd be pretty bummed out and likely be posting such threads myself .

BUT !!!

There still ARE kits , glow engines , and people are still building/flying traditional RC model airplanes , despite having to get an FAA number !

In short , if I couldn't practice my area of interest in the hobby sure I'd be sad , but since I CAN still build , fly glow , and fly within the new FAA rules I'm certainly NOT gonna go lamenting what the other guy is getting HIS kicks outta flying ! Sure , this isn't the 1950s anymore and not everyone is flying RC aircraft that look like mine , but just how is that fact supposed to diminish MY enjoyment of the hobby ? Maybe folks oughta be a bit more concerned about what they themselves are flying and not let the choices of others bring about the laments of "My Hobby is crumbling" ?

PS , this being the AMA subforum , I can not see where folk's choice of ARF or Electric RC flying machine is an AMA concern/problem ?

Of course there are kits out there. Plenty of kits. And plans too. One only has to look and step up.

But it reminds me of a conversation I had with my daughter just today. She was complaining about her 12 year old son and how he doesn't like thinking for himself. He wants someone else to give him the answer or at least enough hints where his effort is minimal. And that's it with our society today. That's why the ARFs are now dominate. Our education system has for years now failed to teach our youth how to think. For so long now that many of our citizens can no longer think. They simply do what they are told and expect any answers to be provided. At a living wage and with free medical of course!

But then, being the AMA sub-forum, this really isn't appropriate. Or so I've been told! :)

1984 anyone?

init4fun 11-04-2018 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Appowner (Post 12475898)
Of course there are kits out there. Plenty of kits. And plans too. One only has to look and step up.

But it reminds me of a conversation I had with my daughter just today. She was complaining about her 12 year old son and how he doesn't like thinking for himself. He wants someone else to give him the answer or at least enough hints where his effort is minimal. And that's it with our society today. That's why the ARFs are now dominate. Our education system has for years now failed to teach our youth how to think. For so long now that many of our citizens can no longer think. They simply do what they are told and expect any answers to be provided. At a living wage and with free medical of course!

But then, being the AMA sub-forum, this really isn't appropriate. Or so I've been told! :)

1984 anyone?

The "Dumbing Down" of society has been a complaint for years , I remember hearing it in my youth and yet somehow we cured Polio , got to the Moon , and have gadgets now that in the 1950s were only science fiction . Every generation believes the generation after them is somehow in some way failing and yet every generation has it's accomplishments despite the dour predictions .

PS , as to the "Thread Purity" or "Thread Police" thing , we are allowed some pretty wide leeway around here and yes of course threads do drift . But when the drift is not a side conversation and is instead side squabbles of petty bickering I figure it's appropriate to attempt to steer the conversation back to the thread topic in respect for the Moderator (RC Ken) who gives us such leeway . No one wants to moderate a bunch of bickering old men on a chat forum and we owe it to Ken to settle our crap ourselves . Sound fair to you ?

RichinTx 11-05-2018 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12475881)

BUT !!!

Yes, you are 100% correct. I suppose I am lamenting the trends I see and what appear at the moment to be their logical conclusion instead of continuing to enjoy what I enjoy because I can.
Also, I apologize for posting in the wrong forum....I was jumping around from forum to forum and realized after I posted the thread that I probably should have located it elsewhere.

fliers1 11-05-2018 10:25 AM

Model Aviation - April 2017

Those at AMA headquarters are pretty sure that our hobby is in trouble, but those who have a field to fly on and know how to build can still enjoy their hobby.

init4fun 11-05-2018 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by fliers1 (Post 12476211)
Model Aviation - April 2017

Those at AMA headquarters are pretty sure that our hobby is in trouble, but those who have a field to fly on and know how to build can still enjoy their hobby.

;) Here is a thread devoted to that very M.A. article .

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12322357)
:( In the April edition of Model Aviation , page 8 , Jay Smith (the man who writes "The Inside Loop") describes the state of the hobby as seen through the closing of multiple hobbyshops and the lackluster participation of both manufacturers and consumers at the various trade shows and other events related to RC model flying . Looking at his article , the future don't look all that great for the hobby .

Now , since he (Jay Smith) brought it up in an AMA publication , the natural follow on question would be ;

"What , if anything , can the AMA do to reverse the decline in the hobby ?"

Personally , and this is just me speaking and is my opinion alone , I don't believe there is anything the AMA can do differently to reinvigorate the hobby anymore than there is anything RadioShack can/could do to bring the kit built electronics hobby back to where it was in the 1950s/1960s , when enough people DID build their own electronics for there to be a nationwide chain of stores catering to those hobbyists . Our generation (read ; old farts) have been around so long that the thought of remote controlling anything seemed downright futuristic in our youth and aircraft themselves were still new enough (remember 1953 was only 50 years after Wilbur and Orville) to be seen as the most awe and imagination inspiring machines that man could produce . Fast forward to today when flight is around 114 years old and is now just a commonplace routine event and folks have been remote controlling various mechanical devices for better than 50 years , and I'd say the "shine has somewhat worn off" of both flying and remote controlling things for most folks as to be just not all that special anymore .

Bottom line to me = This recent drone fad has done a bit to prop up our sagging hobby's sales figures of late , but once that fad fades to the level of interest the rest of the hobby has (or more accurately doesn't have ?) I believe things will get ugly for even more of our hobby retailers , and that there ain't a whole heck of a lot the AMA can do about that .

Any and all opinions on this are of course most welcome , whether they align with my thoughts or not ;)

init4fun 11-05-2018 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by RichinTx (Post 12476210)
Yes, you are 100% correct. I suppose I am lamenting the trends I see and what appear at the moment to be their logical conclusion instead of continuing to enjoy what I enjoy because I can.
Also, I apologize for posting in the wrong forum....I was jumping around from forum to forum and realized after I posted the thread that I probably should have located it elsewhere.

As my above quoted thread discussed , yes indeed participation in our hobby is decreasing , but as was also discussed , just how would you (or anyone , open question here) attract new folks to a hobby that appears to have it's best days behind it ? After that conversation in 2017 I decided that I am going to enjoy my hobby till the end (my end , that is) and if I die as "the last traditional RCer" then so be it , just as the general public can't be forced to be interested in electronic kit building (Heathkits) like they used to be , neither do we have the magic wand to bring back the days of an Rc airplane centered Hobby shop (instead of a Starbucks) in every neighborhood ....

Hydro Junkie 11-05-2018 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12475916)
The "Dumbing Down" of society has been a complaint for years , I remember hearing it in my youth and yet somehow we cured Polio , got to the Moon , and have gadgets now that in the 1950s were only science fiction . Every generation believes the generation after them is somehow in some way failing and yet every generation has it's accomplishments despite the dour predictions.

And while that is true, to a point, what you also have to remember is that the accomplishments you speak of are probably made by less than 1/2 of 1% of the population. The rest of the population is just along for the ride. Back in the days of Gemini and Apollo, the US threw its industrial and scientific might into the programs, if for no other reason that to fulfill President Kennedy's promise to put a man on the moon as well as to show the Soviet Union what the US could do when it put it's mind to a task. Since the end of the 1970s, the US hasn't really put its mind to anything that can be "crowed" about. It's pretty sad that the US, the only country to put a man(let alone 12) on the moon, now has to send astronauts up to the ISS on Russian rockets since it doesn't have anything of its own to do the job after the retirement of the space shuttles

speedracerntrixie 11-05-2018 04:32 PM

We will soon be traveling back into space exploration aboard our own spacecraft.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2018...ine-rs-25-run/

aside from manned space flight we ( the US ) have actually been making some pretty large strides in space flight. SpaceX can now reliably land a first stage booster and NATO has the best missile defense systems in the world.