RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   AMA Doesn't Allow This, Thankfully.... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/11671090-ama-doesnt-allow-thankfully.html)

Dick T. 10-22-2019 11:12 AM

AMA Doesn't Allow This, Thankfully....

AMA may have it faults but this would never be allowed in the US. You only need to watch a few minutes beyond the prop bite to be cringe worthy. Sad to see the UK allows this idiotic mess.

init4fun 10-22-2019 11:27 AM

:rolleyes: Maybe it's actually a contest , and the one with the most/worst propbite wins ?

Dick T. 10-22-2019 02:34 PM

Actually the prop bite is the most tame of the entire video. Numerous launches over the milling crowd with crashes into people. I cannot believe this is type of uncontrolled event is allowed.

Hydro Junkie 10-22-2019 07:30 PM

I see a few of things going on:
1) The crowd isn't paying attention to what's going on. It's just another day and another picnic for most
2) The people flying the planes are not paying attention to the crowd or, for that matter, other flyers and planes
3) Since the only control the flyers have of the planes is how much fuel is loaded and what direction they are launched, you would think there would be restrictions on when and how many planes could be in the air at a time. The fact that they seem to think it's okay to start and launch in any direction and over spectators that aren't even watching shows a serious lack of safety protocols

sideshow 10-22-2019 09:07 PM

That's horrific......

speedracerntrixie 10-22-2019 09:27 PM

I wonder what the Brits have to say after watching a Burning Man video?

astrohog 10-23-2019 04:55 AM

I guess we all have our own perspectives.....

What I saw:

- a group of people all gathered in one place, on their own free will, for the purpose of having fun, whether they were there to spectate or participate.
- EVERYBODY had a smile on their faces. Even the folks that were bleeding and the ones that were dodging aircraft.

What I didn't see:

- unhappy people
- people concerned about their own safety
- people being held there against their will

Why is it that someone sitting on their ass, thousands of miles away, watching a video, can cast shade and judgement on an event where every single participant and spectator seems to be having an very enjoyable time?

Let's try to be more like the people in the video!

Regards,

Astro

049flyer 10-23-2019 05:16 AM

I agree with Astrohog! I see a complete lack of the “victim mentality” that is so common on this side of the Atlantic. I would happily attend this event and have a great time doing so.

init4fun 10-23-2019 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie (Post 12558433)
I wonder what the Brits have to say after watching a Burning Man video?

;) Speed , hopefully they'd be saying ;

"Thank God it don't involve model airplanes !!!"

And Astro , while I usually agree with most of your posts , I won't dignify the threadcrapping you've posted here with a reply except to say that there were plenty of young children in that crowd , had one been hit in the head and seriously hurt that video would be all that would be needed to win a conviction on a reckless endangerment of a minor charge . Being contrary for being contrary's sake is one thing , but you blew it here dude , big time :(

PS , 049 flyer desreves the same response as Astro , When your "fun" involves the reckless endangerment of minor children , I'd say it's YOU who needs to reassess your idea of "fun" . :(

astrohog 10-23-2019 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12558485)
;) Speed , hopefully they'd be saying ;

"Thank God it don't involve model airplanes !!!"

And Astro , while I usually agree with most of your posts , I won't dignify the threadcrapping you've posted here with a reply except to say that there were plenty of young children in that crowd , had one been hit in the head and seriously hurt that video would be all that would be needed to win a conviction on a reckless endangerment of a minor charge . Being contrary for contrary's sake is one thing , but you blew it here dude , big time :(

See, that is the thing...…
I post my true feelings and beliefs, and am immediately told that, "you blew it" and am accused of being a threadcrapper! LOL Who is the close-mined, intolerant one?

As for the children that were in the crowd. How did they get there? I would assume that they are not wayward street urchins without parental supervision. As long as there are no laws against anybody bearing children, I am of the belief that we should allow those individuals to raise and be responsible for their offspring, up to the point when they are proven to be incapable of doing so. It is not up to me to legislate what level of safety risk is acceptable for my neighbor to expose his children to.

One could logically assume by all the adults (I do mean ALL) that were having fun, that they were grooming their children to grow up and be able to do so as well.

I say let's not suck all of the fun out of life by casting our own individual beliefs on our neighbors. If you wish to stay indoors and watch videos of others having fun, only to cast dispersion on them for doing so, that is your right, but please refrain from condemning those who have different beliefs than you.

Regards,

Astro

astrohog 10-23-2019 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12558485)
;)PS , 049 flyer desreves the same response as Astro , When your "fun" involves the reckless endangerment of minor children , I'd say it's YOU who needs to reassess your idea of "fun" . :(

I nominate init4fun (ironic name, isn't it?) to head up the new fun police patrol...….

…...reckless endangerment...…. I bet there are a lot of jealous, inner city kids that wish they had the opportunity to be exposed to "reckless endangerment" every Saturday afternoon! LOLOLOL

Astro

init4fun 10-23-2019 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by astrohog (Post 12558488)
I nominate init4fun (ironic name, isn't it?) to head up the new fun police patrol...….

…...reckless endangerment...…. I bet there are a lot of jealous, inner city kids that wish they had the opportunity to be exposed to "reckless endangerment" every Saturday afternoon! LOLOLOL

Astro

Sorry my friend , I call em like I see em . In fact , for situations like this I use the "My Kid" metric ; Would I want MY kid in a situation where such foolishness was taking place ? Would you want YOUR kid to be the one hit in the head by one of those planes ?

Sure , there is all kinds of fun that can be had with model airplanes , we all know that and it's why we're here . But when the fun extends to the behavior seen in that video that's when I say the fun has gone just a bit too far .

One Man's opinion only FWIW ....

init4fun 10-23-2019 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by astrohog (Post 12558477)
..Why is it that someone sitting on their ass, thousands of miles away, watching a video, can cast shade and judgement on an event where every single participant and spectator seems to be having an very enjoyable time?

And just so we're ALL on the same page here , this quote strikes of some pretty heavy intolerance itself , I guess only YOUR opinion is to be treated with kid gloves , while those of a different view are seen as "sitting on their ass casting shade"

You blew it dude , and your protestations are just as intolerant as those of our's you've called out .....

astrohog 10-23-2019 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12558491)
And just so we're ALL on the same page here , this quote strikes of some pretty heavy intolerance itself , I guess only YOUR opinion is to be treated with kid gloves , while those of a different view are seen as "sitting on their ass casting shade"

You blew it dude , and your protestations are just as intolerant as those of our's you've called out .....

please refer to your nearest dictionary for the proper definition of intolerance. You are way off base...

And, please......

you can, “call em like you see em”, but anybody else is now intolerant? Dude, you need to back off, take a deep breath and read what you are posting.

Astro

Hydro Junkie 10-23-2019 06:34 AM

Okay guys, that's enough already.
After rewatching that video, I realized that the planes are all 1/2A free flight. I knew they were FFs the first time I watched it, just missed the engine size.
I still stand by my belief that there should be some attention being paid by the spectators and flyers alike, if nothing else to keep the kids from getting hurt since even a 1/2A prop can take out an eye. Other than that, there really isn't anything that can be done to increase safety, other than limiting the number of planes that are airborne at one time. FFs are going to go where they want since there's nothing the flyer can do to control that once the plane is out of his hands. It would be interesting to find out if there are any rules, other than to have a good time, involved with that FF event.

astrohog 10-23-2019 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12558489)
Sorry my friend , I call em like I see em . In fact , for situations like this I use the "My Kid" metric ; Would I want MY kid in a situation where such foolishness was taking place ? Would you want YOUR kid to be the one hit in the head by one of those planes ?

Two completely different questions! LOL And the way you present them assumes that the answer to both has to be the same. Nice tactic, but doesn’t work with me!
YES, I would want my kid in a situation where such foolishness (your words, LOL) was taking place. As I stated before, there was not a single person in that video that showed one iota of concern for their safety, and EVERYONE seemed to be enjoying themselves (this is an absolutely accurate portrayal of the video I watched. If you can show where my portrayal is biased in ANY way, I beg you to challenge it). By projecting YOUR concerns on those people, simple by watching a video and based on your commentary here, you are essentially calling EVERYONE in that video stupid.

Question #2: (your wording is biased and leads the reader to believe that a child actually was hit in the head by one of the airplanes, do you know if that happened?) my answer is, NO, of course I wouldn’t want my child to be hit in the head with one of those planes! But I wouldn’t hesitate to take my child to that or a similar event for fear of such.

Originally Posted by init4fun
Sure , there is all kinds of fun that can be had with model airplanes , we all know that and it's why we're here . But when the fun extends to the behavior seen in that video that's when I say the fun has gone just a bit too far .

One Man's opinion only FWIW ....

The expressions on the faces of ALL of the folks on that video would say otherwise. I guess you are in the minority!

Astro

speedracerntrixie 10-23-2019 06:51 AM

Looking at this from a perspective of danger to the kids, are they in any more danger then a Saturday in a soccer league? I have seen games with 5 and 6 year olds running around in 95 degree weather kicking the crap out of themselves. How does a 5 year old know when they are experiencing heat exhaustion? As the kids get older the sports just get more aggressive. How many of us played high school football? I did and during those couple years I suffered a broken finger, sprained ankle and a bruised kidney. Point is we can't bubble wrap our kids or rather shouldn't. Look at all these young adults these days that get offended at everything and can't figure out what gender they are. Overprotecting them and not allowing them to develop their own sense of judgement will limit them as adults.

init4fun 10-23-2019 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie (Post 12558509)
Okay guys, that's enough already.
After rewatching that video, I realized that the planes are all 1/2A free flight. I knew they were FFs the first time I watched it, just missed the engine size.
I still stand by my belief that there should be some attention being paid by the spectators and flyers alike, if nothing else to keep the kids from getting hurt since even a 1/2A prop can take out an eye. Other than that, there really isn't anything that can be done to increase safety, other than limiting the number of planes that are airborne at one time. FFs are going to go where they want since there's nothing the flyer can do to control that once the plane is out of his hands. It would be interesting to find out if there are any rules, other than to have a good time, involved with that FF event.

Agree 100% on every part of this post . 1/2A can whack someone pretty hard depending on the circumstances and why deliberately increase that risk . I've now spoken my opinion and I'm done ....

I bid happy safe fun flying to all my AMA brethren ..... :)

astrohog 10-23-2019 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12558518)
I've now spoken my opinion and I'm done ....

Par for the course...

init4fun 10-23-2019 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by astrohog (Post 12558531)
Par for the course...

What more would you like me to say ?

We've both expressed our differing views and it's time to move on . I don't do protracted internet debates of subjects that neither side is gonna see the other side of , ,

So , in the CB radio lingo of a life long ago ,

10-7 ;)

astrohog 10-23-2019 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12558541)
What more would you like me to say ?

Oh, I don't know.....I asked you a couple of questions, and to challenge what I had written, in order that we clarify some of the facts so that we may be able to better qualify each of our opinions for validity...
Yes, we are all entitled to our opinions, but if facts counter our opinions, are we really entitled to them?
This is how we keep from the back and forth you see.....

Astro

astrohog 10-23-2019 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by init4fun (Post 12558541)
10-7 ;)

You? or your opinion? :)

Astro

Stickslammer 10-23-2019 11:35 AM

Just when I clicked on the video an ad popped up for shredding and mulching machines. Owww!

Dick T. 10-25-2019 10:50 AM

I didn't intend this thread to become a pissing match over posting a video of obvious safety issues. Just because people appear to be having a good time indicates they are oblivious to the risks presented.

Modelers there should know better but obviously don't. AMA has it's warts but they do promote a culture of safety which permeates throughout the organized modeling community. Sure accidents occur but the event as depicted in the video has no place in modeling. Sad to think anybody but a kid would defend this or think it cool.

astrohog 10-25-2019 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dick T. (Post 12559074)
I didn't intend this thread to become a pissing match over posting a video of obvious safety issues. Just because people appear to be having a good time indicates they are oblivious to the risks presented.

So, it is your stance that every one of the hundreds of people in that video are oblivious to the risks? You’re kidding, right?

Originally Posted by Dick T
Modelers there should know better but obviously don't. AMA has it's warts but they do promote a culture of safety which permeates throughout the organized modeling community. Sure accidents occur but the event as depicted in the video has no place in modeling. Sad to think anybody but a kid would defend this or think it cool.

Amazing how all of those modelers should know better, but don’t! We better send some humanitarian effort over there and educate them, lest someone get a cut on their pinkie! I can only imagine how thankful they all would be to be enlightened by your astute observations from afar.

Astro