RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   4th SPAM Mail from AMA, crying about the 9 dollars or return dvd (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/3185869-4th-spam-mail-ama-crying-about-9-dollars-return-dvd.html)

DiscoWings 07-20-2005 10:29 PM

4th SPAM Mail from AMA, crying about the 9 dollars or return dvd

WOW, AMA is so desperate, I think I 'm not going to renew next year!
I have received 4 MAILINGS form them crying about how I should send 9 dollars or return the dvd.
Seriously this is so lame! I'm not giving you 9 dollars and I"m not returning the dvd!
NOW LEAVE ME ALONE AMA!!!

Stripes 07-21-2005 06:24 AM

RE: 4th SPAM Mail from AMA, crying about the 9 dollars or return dvd

I too received a fourth dunning letter and I won't return it either (mine doesn't play incidentally). The only way to discourage this sort of thing is to make it expensive for them. So far I have refrained from sending the prepaid mail back empty but if I receive a fifth I shall mail them all back empty. They seem determined to annoy me. It should at least be expensive for them to do so.

SSRCCPREZ 07-21-2005 06:47 AM

I love the fact they keep sending me these letters. The letters are not free, the postage is not free, the DVD was not free......I have a feeling my dues will be going up to cover this ltest attempt at revenue building!!!

Keep sending those letters AMA and when the phone don't ring that is me calling with my credit card number. I think I will send a bill to cover disposal and administrative fes for having to open these letters and throw them away? Sound like an idea?

LOL
my other insurance company doesn't even send me this much junk mail

MajorTomski 07-21-2005 08:24 AM

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

I have received 4 MAILINGS form them crying about how I should send 9 dollars or return the dvd.
Seriously this is so lame! I'm not giving you 9 dollars and I"m not returning the dvd!
NOW LEAVE ME ALONE AMA!!!

Disco, you need to forward your post to Tom Schwyn, the marketing director at the AMA responsible for this p!&& poorly run program

[email protected]

Tom OKC
AMA 8026

3dbob37n 07-21-2005 10:03 AM

Why don't you guys go to Muncie and show them how to run the AMA? Obviously, you are much better than they are.

3dbob

Paternguy 07-21-2005 10:10 AM

Direct marketing is a relic of the 1970's, that Ama has apparently just discovered, long after this source of marketing became ineffective due to people being conditioned to just throw it away.

Live Wire 07-21-2005 11:44 AM

Waite to see how long it takes to process our renewall net year:eek: if we [&o]

HighPlains 07-21-2005 02:59 PM

Did any of this cost the AMA any money?

No.

The DVD was done by an outside business to make money. If it did make any, then the AMA gets a cut.

So what!

Why the whining?

If you liked the disk, buy it.

Otherwise ignor it. Keep the disk and toss the letters, or mix epoxy on them or the disk. Otherwise chill out.

aviti 07-21-2005 04:48 PM

I agree with Highplains. I sent the DVD back after I watched it because it was no trouble or expense to do so. You are well within your legal rights to keep it and throw away the letters requesting payment. BIG DEAL. It has been said over and over that the outside company has all the expense and if they make money then AMA gets a cut. So there was no downside to the deal, only possible upside. Now forget about it or join some other club that provides liabilty coverage for flying model airplanes. Better yet, call your insurance carrier and get a quote on a million or 2 million dollars of liabilty for flying your airplanes.

the-plumber 07-21-2005 05:15 PM

ORIGINAL: DiscoWings

There's an even simpler way to achieve your goal . . .

Just throw out any mail you receive from AMA, especially the mail you normally get in late October or early November.

Stripes 07-21-2005 07:13 PM

ORIGINAL: HighPlains
. . . Otherwise ignor it. Keep the disk and toss the letters, or mix epoxy on them or the disk. Otherwise chill out.

No,

No,

No!

I was mistreated by AMA when they gave my name and address to a private concern. I am bombarded by the privacy policies of the companies I do business with. None of them say they will distribute my name and addresss to whom ever they wish to make any money they can.

Redneck Shaun 07-21-2005 08:07 PM

I too just got the fourth letter. In the trash it went. I hope they learn from there mistakes and don't try to use this type of marketing again!
If I didn't have to have ama to be part of my club, I would have dropped it because of the dvd!

HighPlains 07-21-2005 08:11 PM

I was mistreated by AMA when they gave my name and address to a private concern.
Perhaps you are not ready for the real world. Do you still have your blinky?

dicknadine 07-21-2005 08:16 PM

have any of you fellows contacted your district VP with your problem ie UNWANTED CD ?? please let us know their response. I too played and it made a good flying disc for the neighbors dog. I DO NOT respond to bulk mail. dick

Matt Kirsch 07-21-2005 08:59 PM

Then why are you posting here? If you don't respond to bulk mail, don't respond to it...

Oh, and if direct marketing went out with the 1970s, someone better tell the credit card companies who send me applications on a weekly basis. Oh yeah, and David Oreck, and JCWhitney, and Harbor Freight, and Stylin' Concepts, and Tiger Direct Software all the other companies that send me stuff.

spitflier 07-22-2005 05:24 AM

I was very happy to receive my DVD I thought "How nice, finally something for my dues!" than I read the payment part. For my dues You say insurance but from what I have heard all other insurance kicks in first including my homeowners You say a magazine but that is mediocre at best compared to Flyrc You can say a beautiful facility in Muncie IN but I will never see it first hand in my lifetime in fact every time I see a picture of it I think I helped pay for that so a small number of people can show off their flying What is the percentage of members that have used that site? My club requires me to pay for that facility. What do they do in that building besides collect our dues and pay an insurance carrier So AMA please send me the rest of the series as my gift Thanks

Stripes 07-22-2005 07:19 AM

ORIGINAL: HighPlains
Perhaps you are not ready for the real world. Do you still have your blinky?
Perhaps instead of trying to mock me you should have higher standards for the organizations you do business with which is I think the basic point here. Many of us are disappointed in the AMA for this little episode.

crash99 07-22-2005 07:51 AM

3D,

It is easy to spend someone's money. So don't come off like the AMA is not trying to pull a fast one. Its ruff times out here. Everyone must make cut backs. The same for the AMA.

What the AMA has done is low by sending out this video in the mail then asking you for more money. I will keep this home video. (If your going to make a video make sure it keeps you wanting to watch it without taking a break, Take off and landings are smooth, not to have a long shots, avoid long taxi shots .................................... hum crap, That is what this video did.

Its all about skills. Now the Heli guy did look good. But that was it.

Crash99

Gordon Mc 07-22-2005 09:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Stripes

I too received a fourth dunning letter and I won't return it either (mine doesn't play incidentally). The only way to discourage this sort of thing is to make it expensive for them. So far I have refrained from sending the prepaid mail back empty but if I receive a fifth I shall mail them all back empty.
Don't send them empty - fill them up with other junk mail that you get from someone else, so that the people at the other end have to waste some of their time sorting through what you sent, and wondering "w.t.f. ?" Maybe you could wipe off a booger or two on the stuff you send back too ? [X(]

Gordon

carlosponti 07-22-2005 11:25 AM

ORIGINAL: 3dbob37n

Why don't you guys go to Muncie and show them how to run the AMA? Obviously, you are much better than they are.

3dbob
wow you added so much to the conversation :eek:

sky_dancer 07-22-2005 02:32 PM

I didn't ask for the thing. They sent it and said I was under no obligation to send it back. Now like everyone else I'm getting bombarded with request to send nine dollars or send it back. Since I'm under no obligation to do so, it's making a nice drink coaster on my computer desk. My problem is that I haven't received my last two Model Aviations. Guess maybe they are punishing me!:):) It's ok I don't read much of it anyway, I just like to check in on what kind of ludicrist safety issue or paranoid plot to destroy the hobby DB decides to write about next. What a joke his column is.

Jim Thomerson 07-22-2005 05:58 PM

I am not so sure that the DVD is not costing the AMA anything (i.e. our dues money). I marked mine refused and put it back in the mailbox. I got the first dunning letter It had a customer service number. I called said number and got the AMA library at AMA Headquarters in Muncie. The congenial person I talked with removed my name from the mailing list and I have not received any more dunning letters. My question is, "Did I help pay that person at the AMA library at the AMA Headquarters salary?" I suspect I did.

Jim

Hossfly 07-22-2005 06:04 PM

ORIGINAL: 3dbob37n

3dbob
Yep, that is just what I wish to do.

Nominee for AMA Executive Council position of Executive Vice President, (CFO). Your vote will help.

Jim Messer 07-22-2005 07:39 PM

I have been a member of AMA now for 64 consecutive years, so you know I wasn't born yesterday. Furthermore, I don't sit around all day and complain about things the AMA does or does not do, as I have better things to do, like go fly my models. However, when the opportunity arises, I always do what I can to make the AMA better - not otherwise.

When the first video arrived in my mail, I opened it, played it, and made the decision not to keep it. The letter clearly stated that if you returned the video, your name would be removed from future mailing lists. So, with just a little bit of effort, I placed the video disc in the return envelope, already self stamped, and dropped it in the mailbox. I didn't even break a sweat in the process.

That was the end of it.

Now, just why can't all you complainers do likewise. Stop hiding behind: "I don't respond to junk mailings". Well - why not? Remember - this is your AMA, and although you don't like what they did, just send the damn disc back like they asked you to. It won't cost you anything except the walk to the mailbox, and then you'll have nothing more to complain about.

It's a win/win situation; you can't lose, so just do it!

sky_dancer 07-22-2005 08:14 PM

I didn't ask for it! I object to them spending money to even produce it number one. Number two how much do you think the postage adds up to on all those things they sent out, plus the postage on the return cartons. If I send it back they will turn around and spend more money sending it out to someone else who may or may not want it. Sugarcoat it any way you want but that's your and my dues money they are spending! They are basically gambling our money. I'd be willing to bet that DVD series won't finance itself nor turn a profit. Maybe if the videos actually contained anything worth watching or any useful information it would, but judging by the first one, that's not very likely. The whole way the thing was done plus the ridiculously inane content of the video shows once again how out of touch the AMA is with what's going on in the hobby today and where the true areas for potential growth in it lie. I hear all the time about the emphasis on attracting the young to this hobby. Do you really think that video would hold a teenagers interest for more than about a minute?