RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   How To Make AMA Perfect (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/4982839-how-make-ama-perfect.html)

Silent-AV8R 11-11-2006 12:54 PM

How To Make AMA Perfect

OK, here's what AMA needs to do:

Buy me a flying field. Build it, maintain it, and operate it for me, near my house. Do not increase my dues to do this either.

Make sure nobody bothers me while I do whatever I want to do. I am safe and have good judgement and don't need anyone looking over my shoulder.

Publish a magazine that only carries articles that interest me.

Provide me with plenty of insurance that pays in all cases, without question, regardless of the facts of a case. Any claim I file will be righteous and it is an insult to me for anyone to question the facts of my claim.

Do not make any rules that interfere with my definition of fun. Rules on the other guys are OK, just leave me alone because I know what I am doing.

Tell the FAA to buzz off and allow me to fly my planes anywhere, anytime, and however I choose to. Make sure they publish rules telling full size to yield to my models. Those big planes have no business getting near me.

Make sure the FCC leaves me alone too. Just make them give me the parts of the radio spectrum that I want, for as long as I want them, for free. Make sure that I am the sole user in that part of the spectrum as well. Also make sure nobody can cause me interference at any time.

Create and maintain a website that does what I want it to do and is suited to me.

Pay me to replace my plane when I crash for any reason.

Charge me only $10 per year for these services.

I think if AMA could do these few simple little things then it would be nearly perfect.

Sorry, edited to add my "numbers" since everyone else is.

AMA 4172
IMAC 2156
WH6QB
ASEL + Glider Aerotow
And a Partridge in a Pear Tree

Mode One 11-11-2006 01:09 PM

RE: How To Make AMA Perfect

Phaedrus, This does seem to be some folks thinking, doesn't it?!?!

bhanley 11-11-2006 01:48 PM

Phaedrus - that was beautiful. Unfortunately the well deserved
sarcasm will probably be lost on the majority of folks who usually
rag on this forum.

Jim Thomerson 11-11-2006 02:03 PM

$10 a year! Do you think we are made out of money? :)

combatpigg 11-11-2006 02:13 PM

It amazes me that there is a perceived need for this AMA gripe forum. I have, as well as thousands of others spent many years without giving the AMA any thought. This forum is more of a spectacle, a roadside wreck, than it is about anything positive to do with the sport. I am from time to time guilty of rubbernecking as I pass by this spot, mostly out of boredom or curiosity.
It has been discouraging to see the local club waste away and some local rogue fields get turned into shopping centers, but the AMA....even if it was perfect has nothing to do with these woes, nor should they be expected to be responsible for my happiness with this sport. You make your own conditions. I live where I live partly because of my love of this sport. I guess if the AMA really was perfect, they would provide a moving allowance to rural areas for disgruntled members who have "no place" to fly. They should also have guaranteed six figure minimums quoted in writing on property damage, injury and loss claims, too :D.

LarryC 11-11-2006 03:46 PM

How much would it be without the magazine?? [sm=47_47.gif]

Hossfly 11-11-2006 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Phaedrus-MMVI

OK, here's what AMA needs to do:

//SNIP //

Yes PxxM, all those things sound like what the average person here wants.

In another thread it was mentioned about our culture. For sure it's a sign of our evolving US culture where everyone should have everything, yet have no responsibility for anything, and need not produce any productive item in return. [>:]

Sometimes I think most of the last several generations are all products of Orange County College, California, south of Los Angeles.

You sum it up well, however one point in contention: Your topic is ".... to make AMA Perfect." Yet, you sum it up by saying, ".... nearly perfect." What are you not telling us that you really want? [sm=greedy.gif]

combatpigg 11-11-2006 04:24 PM

HOSS, Are you talking about the University of Spoiled Children? OJ drove a Porsche while he went to "school" there. If OJ was in charge of the AMA, then it would be perfect. Nobody would dare try to take anything away from us, close us down, no one would even be allowed to let his or her membership lapse. Once yer in, yer in for life. No one would dare take us to court over noise, 3D'n, UAV'n, speedin', etc. Maybe this has already been discussed?

STLPilot 11-11-2006 04:36 PM

The AMAs' decline in popularity has less to do with DBs' leadership and more to do with trends in our culture that are out of anyones' control. The AMA is a great value for those who see the need of their services. Some peoples' expectations for what they think the AMAs' role in this hobby is........ is pretty unrealistic.
A great leader identifies and moves with the times, not wait until the times revolve around them. The leadership has everything to do with the AMA's decline, plain and simple.

The AMA could easily take advantage of these new trends you speak of, however they are just letting them pass right by.

combatpigg 11-11-2006 04:42 PM

I'm sure you probably also have a solution about how to gain peace in the middle east.....

Desertlakesflying 11-11-2006 04:43 PM

Hoss,
Ya made a great point. That is one even I have to stand up and agree with you. And, to think the Democrats got elected......let the entitlements roll in and our taxes go sky high. Our culture is ripe for the picking for them as noted in your post. More entitlements and handouts less personal responsibility.

STLPilot 11-11-2006 05:46 PM

I'm sure you probably also have a solution about how to gain peace in the middle east.....
The actions are being performed by our leaders, the will results come after. But look what happened to Kuwait after we liberated that country, a perfect example.

Kuwait has grown to be a very modern country since the war and their liberation, thanks to the fact that they now have the ability to grow without repression and dominance. Their unemployment rate is 1.5% and their poverty level is less then 1% and the country as a whole is very wealthy and successful. They are chugging right along. Heck I know for the longest time each Kuwaiti family was given a free home or had their mortgages paid for.

Perhaps other countries will catch on and mold with the times, and then again perhaps not which is mostly dependent upon the leaders in the area. Great leadership is the solution to creating peace in the Middle East.

Why doesn't the EAA have the same problems of the AMA since their average age is relatively high as well. Reason why, they see things 10 years ahead and take their actions 20 years forward to make sure they not only move with the times, but to mold the times with their organization.

combatpigg 11-11-2006 06:56 PM

It is interesting that since the Kuwaitis have such a utopia, a land of surplus, that they don't step up and give the Palestinians a chunk of land. Same goes for the rest of the oil rich arab nations. The truth about Kuwait is that they struck it rich, just like the Clampitts and had relatively few to spread the wealth around to. They still live in a theocracy, is that your idea of a model society?
You are mixing apples with oranges when comparing the EAA to the AMA. The EAA has grown simply because there are more folks than ever before in a financial position to get involved. Some are ex modelers. As a matter of fact, I know 3 guys who had to make a choice between flying real planes and toying around with toys. Guess which sport won out? Had nothing to do with the AMA or DB. Give some examples of how to recruit people away from whatever hobbies and passtimes they already have and give up their free time to modeling. You must think that there are millions of people just sitting around with all kinds of time and money on their hands, waiting for a savior to come sweep them off their feet and deliver them to the wonderful world of a hobby like ours. Like you say, it could be done EASILY.

The truth is that there are more things and more ways for people to spend their free time today, than ever before and the novelty of seeing little balsa wood planes buzzing around doesn't have the same impact with the average soul like it once did.

STLPilot 11-11-2006 07:36 PM

The truth is that there are more things and more ways for people to spend their free time today, than ever before and the novelty of seeing little balsa wood planes buzzing around doesn't have the same impact with the average soul like it once did.
The only way I see it is that the AMA has convinced yet another person that everything else is the reason of their downfall, other then their leadership. Sorry but I just don't buy it. I see more and more factories pumping out these balsa planes and coming in by the boatload ... whose buying them? RC is not on a downfall, only the AMA, RC is in a transition and the AMA needs to identify this much more clearly then they do. And comparing the EAA to the AMA is like comparing an apple to an apple I can assure you. I mean they both have the exact same mission statement. They both have flying sites. They both have aeromodeling education programs, aviation museum, aviation magazine and so on and so on ... the only difference is the attitude. I've been to many RC events and I've been to many EAA events, it's all in the attitude of the members and most importantly their leadership.

STLPilot 11-11-2006 07:57 PM

Stickbuilder 11-11-2006 07:57 PM

ORIGINAL: STLPilot

The only way I see it is that the AMA has convinced yet another person that everything else is the reason of their downfall, other then their leadership. Sorry but I just don't buy it. I see more and more factories pumping out these balsa planes and coming in by the boatload ... whose buying them? RC is not on a downfall, only the AMA, RC is in a transition and the AMA needs to identify this much more clearly then they do. And comparing the EAA to the AMA is like comparing an apple to an apple I can assure you. I mean they both have the exact same mission statement. They both have flying sites. They both have aeromodeling education programs, aviation museum, aviation magazine and so on and so on ... the only difference is the attitude. I've been to many RC events and I've been to many EAA events, it's all in the attitude of the members and most importantly their leadership.
Dion,

Do us all a big favor. You have proven to all of us, beyond the shadow of a doubt that you don't have any idea what you are talking about. You talk because you enjoy listening to yourself. You are far from being the brightest bulb on the tree. In fact, I think that you are a dim bulb. plain and simple. You don't have a dog in this fight. You are not even a member of the AMA, and the AMA is what this forum is dedicated toward discussing. If the AMA became the perfect organization, it would not benefit you one iota. You are not a member. Get it??? Go away, shut your pie hole, and try to convince others that you alone will be able to get the City of New York to allow you to have a flying field in Central Park. It didn't happen, and you won't make it happen. You are a phony, and how you became the RCU pet is beyond me. You exist in these forums only to provoke and to inflame. I know that I will be called down for saying these things about you and your character (or lack thereof) I may even be expelled from RCU. If that must be, so be it. I lived over 60 years without benefit of this forum, and I can probably live the rest of my life without it. I don't understand why the moderators and the administrators allow you to remain here.

Jeez, what a jerk.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Safebet 11-11-2006 08:08 PM

Amen, brother.

Jim

STLPilot 11-11-2006 08:21 PM

You are not even a member of the AMA, and the AMA is what this forum is dedicated toward discussing
This is not the AMA's forum, this is discussion forum about the AMA and membership is not required no matter what you think. Don't like what I have to say, hit the block button, it's that easy.

decay 11-11-2006 08:24 PM

STLpilot, your a joke right?? So many posts in the AMA forum

and your not even a member!! Your goin on my ignore list.

Wheres the fly field in Central Park. you bored us with?

decay 11-11-2006 08:30 PM

Dion,

Do us all a big favor. You have proven to all of us, beyond the shadow of a doubt that you don't have any idea what you are talking about. You talk because you enjoy listening to yourself. You are far from being the brightest bulb on the tree. In fact, I think that you are a dim bulb. plain and simple. You don't have a dog in this fight. You are not even a member of the AMA, and the AMA is what this forum is dedicated toward discussing. If the AMA became the perfect organization, it would not benefit you one iota. You are not a member. Get it??? Go away, shut your pie hole, and try to convince others that you alone will be able to get the City of New York to allow you to have a flying field in Central Park. It didn't happen, and you won't make it happen. You are a phony, and how you became the RCU pet is beyond me. You exist in these forums only to provoke and to inflame. I know that I will be called down for saying these things about you and your character (or lack thereof) I may even be expelled from RCU. If that must be, so be it. I lived over 60 years without benefit of this forum, and I can probably live the rest of my life without it. I don't understand why the moderators and the administrators allow you to remain here.

Jeez, what a jerk.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

[/quote]
I agree with Bill 100%

Stickbuilder 11-11-2006 08:35 PM

Dion,

It does no good to block you. I had you blocked for months. You are such an irritant in this forum that so many others quote you and we all see what drivel that you spew, whether you are blocked or not. You are not appreciated here, nor are you wanted. Why don't you do the honorable thing and go away? You have the ability to be such a positive force, and yet you choose to be so negative. We are wise to you, and none of us will allow you to dupe anyone in here again. Can you say outcast? That is what you have become. Say whatever you wish, I will never ever respond to you again. If everyone ignored your invective, pretty soon you might just tire of spraying your stink against the wall, and find somewhere else to play.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

littlecrankshaf 11-11-2006 09:57 PM

littlecrankshaf 11-11-2006 10:04 PM

I see more and more factories pumping out these balsa planes and coming in by the boatload ... whose buying them? RC is not on a downfall, only the AMA, RC is in a transition and the AMA needs to identify this much more clearly then they do.
[/quote]

According to the views you hold so dear, shooting paintballs was/is or has been detrimental to the hobby yet after many such events over the years the hobby is growing so much so that factories are pumping planes out by the boatload?!

Now I am really confused but what else is new. I try to follow your lead but it just goes in circles. I am starting to get dizzy. Please stop!

EASYTIGER 11-11-2006 10:07 PM

The actions are being performed by our leaders, the will results come after. But look what happened to Kuwait after we liberated that country, a perfect example.

Their unemployment rate is 1.5% and their poverty level is less then 1% and the country as a whole is very wealthy and successful. They are chugging right along. Heck I know for the longest time each Kuwaiti family was given a free home or had their mortgages paid for.

Perhaps other countries will catch on and mold with the times, and then again perhaps not which is mostly dependent upon the leaders in the area. Great leadership is the solution to creating peace in the Middle East.

Why doesn't the EAA have the same problems of the AMA since their average age is relatively high as well. Reason why, they see things 10 years ahead and take their actions 20 years forward to make sure they not only move with the times, but to mold the times with their organization.
What the HELL are you talking about? You have NO IDEA of what you are talking about about KUWAIT. NOTHING. You are so FAR off the mark it's UNREAL.

"Kuwait has grown to be a very modern country since the war and their liberation, thanks to the fact that they now have the ability to grow without repression and dominance."

Firstup, Kuwait was INSANELY wealthy BEFORE the 1991 invasion. They were poorer AFTER the invasion. Thankfully, they are so insanely wealthy, and there is still so much money flowing out of the ground, it made no real difference.
Kuwait is NOT a modern country, and they do NOT have the ability to grow without repression and dominance. The ruling family determines all, it's not a democracy, women cannot drive, there is no freedom of religion, and only the "right" people have a really good life, all the foreign workers who actually do the work over there don't have it so great, you don't hear THEM talking about how "free" they are. Actually, more like "step out of line even slightly, and you get deported". I don't know where you get your facts and figures, except off the top of your head. You don't know a damn thing about Kuwait, their culture, their society.

You don't know a damn thing about EAA, either.

EASYTIGER 11-11-2006 10:11 PM

By the way, Phadreus, your post really made me smile. Really summed it up.
This thread was going great before a bunch of turkeys decided to smell it up with their national political views, which are really inappropriate for this forum.