RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   07 AMA Show worth it ? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/5266474-07-ama-show-worth.html)

TooLow 01-14-2007 10:08 PM

07 AMA Show worth it ?

Didnt go this year and wondered if the show was any good? Was kinda dissapointed in last years outing--venders out of stuff--empty booths--import swapmeet type of stuff and lack of major Mfg's

Had words with the wife last night--didnt get to use any of mine!

ira d 01-15-2007 01:48 AM

RE: 07 AMA Show worth it ?

Seems like it was a little better this year but they still had room for more vendors.

deadstickdan 01-15-2007 01:37 PM

I went Sunday and it was okay, I guess. I look forward to this every year and over the last couple of years I always leave with the same empty feeling. It's just not what it could be. Maybe because it's on the west coast or because of the time of year it's held, but this convention just doesn't seem to have the draw for many of the r/c suppliers and distributors. Also, I know Ontario is a bigger facility that's easier to get around in and to but I still miss the Pasadena center. I still continue to go because it is the one time of year in So Cal that you can be around so much r/c stuff and talk with companies' owners/employees to get more info and actually see some of the advertised products.

My personal favorite this year was at the Aeroworks booth. They've got a line of Qucik Build ARFS that look awesome. The rep I spoke with answered all of my questions and I ended up ordering a 1.20 size Yak that should be out in March.

Was it worth it? When it's the only game in town, I suppose it is. I should go to one of the other shows like WRAM or one of the larger shows to know for sure!

Dan

s3nfo 01-16-2007 08:42 PM

Thought it was time (and money) well spent. My only disappointment was that Astroflight sold out of the 1.7 software upgrades before I got there first thing Sat morning. Was told they were sold out 2 hours after opening Fri.........

Kmot 01-17-2007 12:06 AM

I've got some beef's.

Last year, we arrived 30 minutes after opening, and waited in line in the rain for another 30 minutes before we made it to the ticket booth.

This year, we got there 45 minutes after opening, expecting the line to be gone. Instead, it was all the way to the highway and didn't move for 15 minutes. Then it took a total of 45 minutes to get to the ticket booth. Then when I showed my AMA card as asked for two tickets, they charged me extra for the second ticket because my wife did not have an AMA card! [:@]

The spaces they have inside the Ontario Convention Center are too small. The major mfg's cannot hardly put much of their stuff on display. The Great Planes and Horizon booths are ridiculously small. They have a larger presence at the RCX show and that is a show for r/c cars! Mant mfg's were not even there, like SIG and KMP, for example. The biggest news to come out of OS Engines in 70 years was not on display. The aisles are very narrow and it's azzes to elbows the whole time.

The main focus of this show is not new products and what's happening in the world of model aviation. It's a swap meet atmosphere, and many booths are there just to hawk their Asian wares. There were a few new introductions, but the entire crop of new stuff could have been down one aisle or less.

Honestly, in my opinion, the best part of the AMA Convention 2007 were the models on display in the Maritime Modelers booths and the models on display in the contest area.

P-51B 01-17-2007 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

I've got some beef's.

Last year, we arrived 30 minutes after opening, and waited in line in the rain for another 30 minutes before we made it to the ticket booth.

This year, we got there 45 minutes after opening, expecting the line to be gone. Instead, it was all the way to the highway and didn't move for 15 minutes. Then it took a total of 45 minutes to get to the ticket booth. Then when I showed my AMA card as asked for two tickets, they charged me extra for the second ticket because my wife did not have an AMA card! [:@]

The spaces they have inside the Ontario Convention Center are too small. The major mfg's cannot hardly put much of their stuff on display. The Great Planes and Horizon booths are ridiculously small.

Boo Hoo. At least you can attend the show occassionally...unlike the rest of us who don't live in Caly fourneeeeeeah.

Kmot 01-17-2007 12:13 PM

Yeah, but you have in relatively close proximity the Toledo Show and the iHobby Show in Chicago. I would much rather have access to them than the AMA show.

The iHobby show made one visit to L.A. in 2005. It was what a hobby industry show should be. It was the best r/c and hobby show I have ever attended and I have attended a few. Too bad it did not think it was worth it, as the iHobby show promoters decided to not come back to L.A. It's a loss for all of us stuck out here.

P-51B 01-17-2007 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Kmot

Yeah, but you have in relatively close proximity the Toledo Show and the iHobby Show in Chicago. I would much rather have access to them than the AMA show.

The iHobby show made one visit to L.A. in 2005. It was what a hobby industry show should be. It was the best r/c and hobby show I have ever attended and I have attended a few. Too bad it did not think it was worth it, as the iHobby show promoters decided to not come back to L.A. It's a loss for all of us stuck out here.

I have never been to the Toledo Show, or the ihobby show, but really my point was that the AMA should move the show around to serve ALL members, not just those in CA.

Silent-AV8R 01-17-2007 05:22 PM

The Northwest has the Pullayup show. The Midwest has Toledo. The east cost has the WRAM show. The AMA has a HUGE membership out here in the west, so given that distribution and the geographic spread of other shows, it seems to make sense. Plus there is a LONG tradition of a January Hobby show that started with the IMS in Pasadena.

drone pilot 01-17-2007 05:31 PM

The Puyallup Show is no more...Last two years attendance declined and dealers etc. did not come as expected. This years show has been re-organized in Monroe, just north of Seattle in March...Info at www.wattflyer.com/forums. This may be the last gasp for a show up here...

Silent-AV8R 01-17-2007 05:57 PM

ORIGINAL: drone pilot

The Puyallup Show is no more...Last two years attendance declined and dealers etc. did not come as expected. This years show has been re-organized in Monroe, just north of Seattle in March...Info at www.wattflyer.com/forums. This may be the last gasp for a show up here...
Bummer. I never got a chance to get to that one. I was always there at the wrong time of year.

foodstick 01-17-2007 08:15 PM

I am not trying to be controversial or anything, but I haven't ever been to any big rc show...what is the draw? do you basically just get to see stuff in person a month before its all over the net? I don't understand the big deal...is there something more going on I don't know about? Thanks, would like to hear what I am missing..

drone pilot 01-17-2007 09:55 PM

Have you ever been to a auto show, or trade show or home improvement show? Sort of the same thing IMO. Some have good flea markets and models on exhibit. Most cases you can get special show prices and occaisonaly a pre release item. I've been to a couple and most likely wouldn't drive 200 miles to see another.

CoosBayLumber 01-17-2007 10:51 PM

Jerry N seems to have found the norm. One of the vendors was selling some toy quality helicopter and every single one of them went before noon on Friday. They brought in another load (about 100 they said) from local warehouse and they lasted until about 11 AM on Saturday.

Many vendors tell me they bring past year remnants in. They discount the items for the sale and many of the discounted items are then gone early Saturday. They only then have mounted examples of 2006 items to show, at Not-for-sale. The electric based vendors do not get 2007 stuff until about spring. Thus in order to clear the shelves, they go for too low of prices. On Sunday, many vendors who had specials up and noted earlier, then had them crossed off.

Depends if you want to see the latest or buy last year's products.

Wm.