RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   NOTAM for Atlanta, GA - I'm Flyin Mad! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/9901879-notam-atlanta-ga-im-flyin-mad.html)

Loopman 07-31-2010 06:37 PM

NOTAM for Atlanta, GA - I'm Flyin Mad!

Take a look at what the AMA has allowed to happen! We pay annual membership for the AMA to cower in the face of governmental stupidity. I will only renew my membership because I have to have it to fly at my club's facility. We are headed for total governmental control of our hobby and within the next 5 years we will probably have to register our planes just like we have to register our guns. You can bet 100% that I will not vote for this type of "CHANGE" like I did two years ago.

A new FDC NOTAM/TFR has been issued for the greater Atlanta, GA metro area for Monday, 8/2, from 10:15a until 3:00p EDT. The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area. Model aircraft operations are prohibited in this area during the specific times of the TFR. Please note that TFRs are subject to change with very short notice. Check back often for the most current NOTAM/TFR information.

Timely alerts are also available on the web or on you cell phone at: Twitter.com/amagov.

See the link to the TFR below for more detailed information regarding the restrictions:

Area 1 (8/2, 10:15a - 3:00p EDT)
(30nm radius from Latitude: 33º48'25"N, Longitude: 84º26'33"W)
Area 2 (8/2, 10:15a - 11:30a EDT)
(10nm radius from Latitude: 33º54'55"N, Longitude: 84º30'59"W)
Area 3 (8/2, 10:45a - 2:30p EDT)
(7nm radius from Latitude: 33º44'56"N, Longitude: 84º22'19"W)
Area 4 (8/2, 1:45p - 3:00p EDT)
(10nm radius from Latitude: 33º54'55"N, Longitude: 84º30'59"W)
TFR - 0/5041

Map View of the Affected Area

Regards
Gregory Hahn
Technical Director

Better watch out "Big Brother" is watching!

Happy Flying (I guess)!

Loopman [sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif]

ggraham500 07-31-2010 06:45 PM

RE: NOTAM for Atlanta, GA - I'm Flyin Mad!

It's only for higher altitudes than we fly unless you are flying at an active commercial airport.

Tarasdad 07-31-2010 06:58 PM

It's the FAA, TSA (and through them Homeland Security) and other Federal agencies who decide what goes in a TFR, not the AMA. Simply put the AMA has not "allowed" this to happen, it was done without any discussion with them whatsoever. They just pass on the info so affected AMA members can be made aware of the situation.

Lomcevak Duck 07-31-2010 08:10 PM

Loopman, GA does not have firearm registration. We do have a Weapons license for the carry of firearms and a mandatory background check when purchasing from a dealer, but there is no registration.

Silent-AV8R 08-01-2010 01:34 AM

Given that it is for this Monday I just have to ask, don't you have a job, or school, or something?

I would also direct your attention to page 9 of the August edition of Model Aviation where the whole situation regarding TFRs is is detailed.

But I do see your logic. Who in their right mind would vote for a guy who prevented them from flying a model airplane for 3 hours and 45 minutes on a non-holiday Monday mid-day.

BarracudaHockey 08-01-2010 06:04 AM

ORIGINAL: ggraham500

It's only for higher altitudes than we fly unless you are flying at an active commercial airport.
Where does it say that? Unless you're flying a submarine. I personally wouldn't want to test those waters, a "VIP movement" usally means a big blue 747 and the boys that keep tabs on that particular plane don't play.

Area A
Airspace Definition:
Center: On the PEACHTREE VOR/DME (PDK) 242 degree radial at 8.3 nautical miles. (Latitude: 33º48'25"N, Longitude: 84º26'33"W)
Radius: 30 nautical miles
Altitude: From the surface up to but not including 18000 feet MSL

C. The following operations are not authorized within this TFR: flight training, practice instrument approaches, aerobatic flight, glider operations, parachute operations, ultralight, hang gliding, balloon operations, agriculture/crop dusting, animal population control flight operations, banner towing operations, sightseeing operations, maintenance test flights, model aircraft operations, model rocketry, and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS).

Loopman 08-01-2010 05:26 PM

You guys need to settle down. Yeah, I've got a regular job and work to pay the salaries of these idiots we elected. It's just that to issue a NOTAM to prohibit model aircraft from flying way out in the country where I'm sure BIG BLUE is not going to fly is just plain stupid. But as Forrest Gump so aptly put it; "Stupid is as Stupid does". Over regulation by any government entity will lead to prohibition if we're not careful.

Happy Flying!

Loopman ;)

littlecrankshaf 08-01-2010 10:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Tarasdad

It's the FAA, TSA (and through them Homeland Security) and other Federal agencies who decide what goes in a TFR, not the AMA. Simply put the AMA has not ''allowed'' this to happen, it was done without any discussion with them whatsoever. They just pass on the info so affected AMA members can be made aware of the situation.

At least the non-AMA modelers will enjoy flying those days instead of complying with such an idiotic regulation.

It seems the future will be more regulation by the ever larger big brother, to protect ourselves from ourselves, all the while destroying everything we have fought so hard for...a real shame.

It seems people wish to grow government to a critical mass of no return...one policy at a time...one thing leads to another...never ending...no real personal responsibility...deferred to the caretaker...

ira d 08-01-2010 11:57 PM

I think many people are making a bigger deal out of the notams than need be, Personaly I doubt theFAA cares or knows who is flying what unless you happen
to be real close totheevent where the vip is or his aircraft. OTH the notam is there in case the gov feels the need to intervein in some model activity that they
may feel could be a threat in some way. I would dare to guess if you are caught flying a model inside the notam area as long as youstop flying when asked
there wont be any problem.

That being said if my flying site was in a place likely to get attention and Iknew of the notam I would not fly.

rw Guinn 08-02-2010 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

It's the FAA, TSA (and through them Homeland Security) and other Federal agencies who decide what goes in a TFR, not the AMA. Simply put the AMA has not ''allowed'' this to happen, it was done without any discussion with them whatsoever. They just pass on the info so affected AMA members can be made aware of the situation.

At least the non-AMA modelers will enjoy flying those days instead of complying with such an idiotic regulation.

It seems the future will be more regulation by the ever larger big brother, to protect ourselves from ourselves, all the while destroying everything we have fought so hard for...a real shame.

It seems people wish to grow government to a critical mass of no return...one policy at a time...one thing leads to another...never ending...no real personal responsibility...deferred to the caretaker...
And they can enjoy the penalties the FAA and the Feds impose on those who violate TFR's...

rt3232 08-02-2010 06:46 PM

I hate posting this but YOUR VOTE MIGHT JUST HALP IN THE NEXT FEW GO ARROUNDS IF YOU DO IT RIGHT

804 08-02-2010 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: littlecrankshaf

Well, at least half the people...[&o]

dbcisco 08-02-2010 08:48 PM

If you look at the NOTAMs there are very few VIP ones and they are usually for a short period of time. The majority are militaray activities aroun AFBs and the rest are hazardous areas like the Gulf oil spill area.
There are very few NOTAMs that effect RC flying for the majority of the US.
BTW, this is nothing new. We had a no fly warning around State College, PA when Pres. Bush came to Penn State for a speech.
When I worked at Sikorsky if a Presidential ship was in the hangar you could get shot for just trying to sneak in to take a look at it. That was long before any terrorist threats. It has always been a part of protecting our elected officials.

Erich_F 08-02-2010 09:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Loopman

You can bet 100% that I will not vote for this type of ''CHANGE'' like I did two years ago.

Make your bed and sleep in it, is all I care to say.

However, these TFRs have been going on for several years, since 9-11. It's just taken the AMA so long to discover the internet and how to use it to disseminate this info.

littlecrankshaf 08-02-2010 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: rw Guinn

And they can enjoy the penalties the FAA and the Feds impose on those who violate TFR's...
Very doubtful... especially since most modelers won't even know about the TFRs... and the Feds won't likely know about them either...Probably will be too busy chasing birds...LOL...Good try tho...

dbcisco 08-02-2010 10:29 PM

If you have been flying a large bird and/or long distance and/or high altitude and haven't been watching the same alerts as the "real" aircraft you probably won;t pay attention now. Kinda singing to the choir isn't it?

ampeater 08-03-2010 10:55 AM

If the one in Atlanta set you off, how about the one in Rhinebeck last weekend. And that was on a SATURDAY so Chelsea could get married - no big blue plane for that one.....

Silent-AV8R 08-03-2010 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: ampeater

If the one in Atlanta set you off, how about the one in Rhinebeck last weekend. And that was on a SATURDAY so Chelsea could get married - no big blue plane for that one.....
But a past President of the United States and the current Secretary of State were both there. That TFR had no affect on any full size or modeling activity. The Rhinebeck Aerodrome operated all weekend and no model fields were anywhere near it. The sole reason for it was so that there were not 100 helicopters hovering over the wedding location.

It irritates me that people see this a political issue. It just is and they apply to both parties and have since 9/11. But I forgot that we now live in a time when people will somehow use how long they sit at a red light as a reason to launch into some political rant.

Oh well.

littlecrankshaf 08-03-2010 11:27 AM

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

It irritates me that people see this a political issue. It just is and they apply to both parties and have since 9/11. But I forgot that we now live in a time when people will somehow use how long they sit at a red light as a reason to launch into some political rant.

Oh well.
It seems you are the only one making this thread a "political issue". Are you irritated at yourself? Why are you doing that?

crash99 08-04-2010 02:46 PM

Holy cow,

Go fly and have a good time.

Crash99

www.circleflyers.com
Those evil 3ders

exeter_acres 08-04-2010 02:52 PM

NOTAMS have been around for Years.. nothing new...

and yes. we all were responsible for adhering to them....

the only difference is that now the AMA is stepping up and helping get the information out to its membership.

edsland 08-05-2010 12:54 PM

I'm lucky enought to live 26 miles from Chicago in the city of Naperville. When ever Obama comes home our field gets closed till his visit is over. He was home Memorial Day weekend and he is here till tomorrow. I can understand why they don't want real planes in the area but to shut down a model field 26 miles away is a joke. What does home security think I could do with a balsa plane with a 8 ounce tank while I'm 26 miles from the VIP. Hopefully someone figures out that there is no sane reason to ground the hobbyist.

crash99 08-05-2010 12:56 PM

adhering to them? Give me a break. You bet, Every time I go out to the field I need to waste time to see if I am allowed to fly? It will be nice to get real leadership in Washington. You know a guy that works for the people.

I hope this is not against the rules due to we are talking about the goverment telling us when we can and can not fly our toys.

Crash99

dbcisco 08-05-2010 04:25 PM

Not all TFR/NOTAMS effects RC. Check the altitude restrictions.

This one effects RC:

Airspace Definition:
Center: On the VENTURA VOR/DME (VTU) 266 degree radial at 3.5 nautical miles. (Latitude: 34º07'34"N, Longitude: 119º07'06"W)
Radius: 5 nautical miles
Altitude: From the surface up to and including 15000 feet MSL

This one does not:

Airspace Definition:
Center: On the MARYSVILLE VOR/DME (MYV) 055 degree radial at 6.7 nautical miles. (Latitude: 39º08'03"N, Longitude: 121º26'15"W)
Radius: 10 nautical miles
Altitude: From and including 4100 feet MSL up to and including 18000 feet MSL

Silent-AV8R 08-05-2010 04:30 PM

I'll have to check to confirm this, but it is my understanding that in order for RC to be affected the TFR will have this in it:

C. The following operations are not authorized within this TFR: flight training, practice instrument approaches, aerobatic flight, glider operations, parachute operations, ultralight, hang gliding, balloon operations, agriculture/crop dusting, animal population control flight operations, banner towing operations, sightseeing operations, maintenance test flights, model aircraft operations, model rocketry, and unmanned aircraft systems (UAS).