RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   AMA Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/)
-   -   Write in Jim Branaum 1428LM for D8-VP (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ama-discussions-74/996895-write-jim-branaum-1428lm-d8-vp.html)

SAPropbuster 07-27-2003 07:46 PM

Write in Jim Branaum 1428LM for D8-VP

After much deliberation and consultation, Jim Branaum has agreed to run as a write-in candidate for the District VIII AMA VP.
I know he will have a good campaign statement following.
He (as well as I) believes in having a MODELER and the hobby/sport run AMA, NOT the AMA running the modeler.

Speak up, Jim. Let's all hear your platform....

SAPropbuster 07-27-2003 07:53 PM

When you get your ballot, you need to make SURE the name is spelled correctly: Jim Branaum and his AMA # is on the ballto as well: 1428.

We cannot give the AMA ANY reason to toss your ballot!!

Remember:
Jim Branaum AMA# 1428

J_R 07-27-2003 08:13 PM

Well, get him out here. Is he going to hide too? What are his visions and why does he think he is a better alternative than the others.

JR

Jim Branaum 07-27-2003 09:10 PM

Me hide? Surely you jest!

I have owned my own company and now am a semi retired Systems Analyst in my mid 50's with growing children of school age. Previously I tried on a limited scale some free flight, rubber, and control line but was very dissatisfied with my results. I guess that is what happens when there are not enough interested hobby folks around. Changing that is one of my goals since it is clear that if we don't reach out effectively enough, we loose our impact and flying sites nationwide.

I have been in the hobby (this time) for over 20 years. I fly indoor electric, S.M.A.L.L., .40 sized stuff and giant scale birds. I tried helicopters but got bored with them as they encouraged private flying rather than the social events I frequent. Some of the folks in Texas, Louisiana, and New Mexico have seen me fly and crash airplanes at their events for over 18 years as part of my pursuit of that goal. In short, I travel to interesting events or places whenever the opportunity is presented and it matches up with my interests and sometimes with my flying skills.

When I joined my first club (I now belong to three) , the San Antonio Propbusters, the membership was running around 40 or 50. Shortly after I got involved I served a couple terms as Club Secretary and started some of the changes done to do encourage the club to survive. Today I have been treasurer for 7 years and the membership is well over 150 adults and growing. We have two temporary flying sites and an active search for a new site.

I have been watching, as others, and have concluded we need some changes. We need to change the approach used within our own organization so that it serves the hobby rather than the hobby serves it. Currently we seem to have an insurance problem because as a group we have failed to install accident prevention activities as a priority. Note that does not mean new rules because rules do not prevent accidents, the membership does. As AMA members we have seen dues go up significantly due to the increase in insurance costs but not seen any recommendations from the AMA as to moves we could take to prevent future cost increases.

The AMA was founded to foster competition and yet today, as a group, most modelers do not compete. Since the goals of the membership have changed, it is clear we need to adjust the goals and directions of the AMA. Some changes in the goals and possibly the by-laws of the organization are being discussed now and we need effective representation to help the hobby grow with the AMA. District VIII represents enough modelers that we should be part of that process and yet it seems to be behind closed doors to most of us. To my way of thinking and doing business that means we need to have improved two way communications between the membership and the elected leaders rather than strictly leader driven communications. Good ideas are not the property of a few, but grow when there is free and open communication between respected parties. As a club officer, I have learned to listen respectfully to all the members because even those I have disagreements with have good ideas from time to time. I have used the ideas of a competitor when they were good, but I generally make sure that the individual was recognized for the contribution. We need to use this method in the AMA and in District VIII.

Some have suggested to me that a 2 term limit should be place on the District Vice Presidency, and I think that should be discussed and some limit set as too many get too far away from the average membership after too much more than six years.

mongo 07-27-2003 10:17 PM

jim, my own idea is, 2 terms max in any one elected position and a maximum of 3 terms total in a lifetime. that allows for folks that might want to hold more than one office.

J_R 07-27-2003 10:45 PM

Jim

You mention competition and then changes. What does that mean, specifically? Do you want to get rid of the national flying site? Abandon FAI? Delete Rule book events, altogether?

Are you aiming at making the AMA an insurance company only?

How would you fill offices that have no candidates? Many VP's run unopposed now. If you drive them out of office with term limits, and not one wants to run, what then? What makes you think that term limits are a good idea?

JR

mongo 07-27-2003 11:01 PM

jr:
the term limits thing, might be the catalyst needed to get things like the requirements for office holding changed, so that more members would be eligible to run for office. i for one, have never understood what importance leader member status had to do with a members desire or ability to run for or execute the dutys of office. 30-40 years ago, leader members were icons of the hobby, now, it is just a designation on yer ama card.

J_R 07-27-2003 11:25 PM

mongo

Either Branaum is spouting rhetoric or he has a reasoned approach to change. If this is just more "I'm for motherhood, apple pie and Chevrolet" he is just another wannabe. The questions I asked call for answers. Either he has them or he doesn't.

Making changes, without careful consideration, leads to unintended consequences. In the case of term limits, "might" is a totally unacceptable possibility. You "might" wind up with no leaders at all.

JR

Jim Branaum 07-27-2003 11:47 PM

Originally posted by J_R
Jim

You mention competition and then changes. What does that mean, specifically? Do you want to get rid of the national flying site? Abandon FAI? Delete Rule book events, altogether?

Are you aiming at making the AMA an insurance company only?

How would you fill offices that have no candidates? Many VP's run unopposed now. If you drive them out of office with term limits, and not one wants to run, what then? What makes you think that term limits are a good idea?

JR

Jr,
Lets take them one at a time.

Lets all agree to be clear in that competition, rulebook or FAI, and the national flying site are here to stay. We have already spent a ton of $ on improvements that are of no use to anyone else but us. The only way to recover our investment is to use it as much as possible.

However, we probably need to put further improvements into the ballpark of the various SIGS. They use the facilities and if they want specific changes, they should be willing to fund them. There was some noise many years ago about putting in RV hookups for folks at the Nats and I thought that might be a good idea then but I am not sure today.

Muncie needs to become to model aviation's what Oshkosh is to the EAA. The hard part is figuring out the best way to get there and I think discussion should be open and in public rather than short term and in committee meetings no one has time to share with the membership. Frequently even the DVP's don't have the time to deal with all the 'stuff' and they miss important things in the rush. An exciting example might be finding out how many people in District VIII have a clue as to what PADCOMM stands for.

No, I have no intention of making the AMA an insurance company. I went to a fly in yesterday (and ate a 30% Cap - darn it) and one of the things I heard was that if it were not for insurance, the club probably would not be an AMA Chartered Club. As that is a similar feeling I have heard all over, there is a clear message there. The message is that the single service most members can see that the AMA provides is insurance. We should take every possible step to make that a good thing in the future without taking away from the fun of flying.

I was talking to Dave Brown a week or two ago and we were discussing the nomination process. We agreed that what the AMA is currently using invites abuse that may well be within the rules but still stands as a taint. Fresh examples of that have driven home the need to change the process. Getting the correct change in place may take a while and will almost certainly involve lots of other changes.

I mentioned the process Bill Lee previously fielded and Dave told me it was actually someone else's. He also pointed out the flaw in it which was control by the DVP. He mentioned a Nomination committe based on that districts club presidents, which I think is a reasonable place to start. I would rather make it on ALL club officers in the district to get the nomination process closer to the membership. That very process could be use dot decide on a "replacement" DVP if it were necessary. Those types could be validated by membership vote in the next election. I also think we need to remove any indication of incumbency from the ballot.

I would hope that term limits would keep the EC membership more member oriented. However I am also aware that there may be an unintended consequence there so more research needs to be done before we set it in concrete. There may be other changes we need to make before that get to the top of the list.

If you, or anyone else, have any other questions I will try to answer them. However, please write exactly what you want answered so I don't fall into the stupid trap of trying to read your mind. I failed that course in college.

Jim Branaum 07-27-2003 11:54 PM

Originally posted by mongo
jr:
the term limits thing, might be the catalyst needed to get things like the requirements for office holding changed, so that more members would be eligible to run for office. i for one, have never understood what importance leader member status had to do with a members desire or ability to run for or execute the dutys of office. 30-40 years ago, leader members were icons of the hobby, now, it is just a designation on yer ama card.

Oddly enough that is exactly the same line of conversation many of my friends have had in the recent past. The Leader Member currently is AMA's prehensile tail.

I have been given the impression that the LM status thing was used as a marker to indicate your commitment to the AMA and the hobby rather than just your local bunch. That was the 'picture' Johnny Clemens painted when he made me a Leader Member over 15 years ago. At the same luncheon he told several of us the tale of the 'dynasty' approach to AMA politics. Oddly enough some of the areas discussed are the same. Stranger still some antics are mirrored in recent actions. Strangest of all is that some of the names are the same!

J_R 07-28-2003 01:00 AM

Jim

You must have at least one friend in D8. You do, don't you? Why didn't you have him nominate you (assuming your answer is yes, if not it's self explainatory)?

Why are you messing with the process and running a write-in campaign instead? Is this a whim... something your doing just for sport to bug Sandy Frank and/or Bill Lee? What can you do so differently than Dr. Frank, that it qualifies you to replace him? Think your better than Horrace Cain? Why? Mike Moss?

JR

ArchB 07-28-2003 01:06 AM

That's some of the most articulate, well thought, well focussed stuff I have heard. Certainly this guy isn't runnig for D-8 VP <BHFG>

I will be watching this with the utmost of interest.

So far, so good.

Good luck D-8.

-Arch

mongo 07-28-2003 02:08 AM

jr,
when yer driving down the highway, and yer tire goes flat, do you:
get out and change the tire so you can get on down the road to a safe spot, or do you examine the tie rod ends for to find the reason the tire went flat?
excessive term accumulation is the flat tire of the AMA right now. we need to get it changed and get moving again. if that shows us that there is another problem causing the "flats" then we focus on fixing that problem.

and with the quality of leaders we have now, no leaders would be a good thing.

Hossfly 07-28-2003 02:25 AM

We need a Debate at SWAC.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jim Branaum
[B]Jr,
Lets take them one at a time.

Lets all agree to be clear in that competition, rulebook or FAI, and the national flying site are here to stay. We have already spent a ton of $ on improvements that are of no use to anyone else but us. The only way to recover our investment is to use it as much as possible.

However, we probably need to put further improvements into the ballpark of the various SIGS. They use the facilities and if they want specific changes, they should be willing to fund them. There was some noise many years ago about putting in RV hookups for folks at the Nats and I thought that might be a good idea then but I am not sure today.

Muncie needs to become to model aviation's what Oshkosh is to the EAA.
//SNIP//
. Frequently even the DVP's don't have the time to deal with all the 'stuff' and they miss important things in the rush. An exciting example might be finding out how many people in District VIII have a clue as to what PADCOMM stands for.

No, I have no intention of making the AMA an insurance company.
//SNIP//

//SNIP//

//SNIP// I would rather make it on ALL club officers in the district to get the nomination process closer to the membership. That very process could be use dot decide on a "replacement" //SNIP

I would hope that term limits would keep the EC membership more member oriented.
//SNIP//

//SNIP//
~ ~ ~

Jim B., Welcome to the cess pool. Gonna' be interesting. In another post I stated that D-VIII voters have a choice of 3 distinct personalities. Now there's four.

With your connections, do you think you could arrange for Dear ol' Sandy to allow for a public debate period at the coming SWAC show? If so do you think anyone would come?

Par. 1. Agreed.

Par. 2. Disagree: The SIGS earn their share. They run the NATS events and the FAI Team Trials. Without the SIGs AMA would either have no events/Nats or whatever, or your dues would triple to pay the administrative costs.

Sub. 2 A RV Park, with some full service facilities, should be there for those that would spend a lot of time there and help with events. You might remember that Red and I offered to fund that Park with Promissory-Notes, meaning that we assumed FULL risk and none to AMA. DB poo-pooed me in his column. They lost a chance to make some big bucks.

Par. 3 Disagree: EAA is strictly a one man show. I used to fly with a guy that was on that Board. The Board did absolutely nothing and Paul Prober?? what's-his-name (his son now??) completely ran the business.
AMA is getting there but not there yet. Hopefully never.

So you really think SF should poll the membership to determine their understanding of the Property Acquisitions and Development Comm. chaired by Bob Brown with Hanson and JH.? Just send 'em to the members-only section.

Par. 4 No need to. It's already in process.

Par. 5 //SNIP//

Par. 6 Disagree: If relegated to the District, then use the Leader Members. OTOH, any club officer or Leader can DO IT NOW. Write it up and send it in. Actually any OPEN member can. How many local-heroes would you stack on the ballot?

Par. 7 Disagree: TERM LIMITS EXIST. It is called the ballot and is in the hands of the voters. Those are the people we are now communicating to.

>>>"I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform their discretion."
— THOMAS JEFFERSON
<<<<<<
Some fun, HUH??

Jim Branaum 07-28-2003 04:43 AM

Originally posted by J_R
Jim

You must have at least one friend in D8. You do, don't you? Why didn't you have him nominate you (assuming your answer is yes, if not it's self explainatory)?

Why are you messing with the process and running a write-in campaign instead? Is this a whim... something your doing just for sport to bug Sandy Frank and/or Bill Lee? What can you do so differently than Dr. Frank, that it qualifies you to replace him? Think your better than Horrace Cain? Why? Mike Moss?

JR

LOL

JR,

Earlier this year I checked with several in different states of the District and had the nomination lined up with letters from each. Then I did some very careful reviewing and thinking and decided not to run this time. Sandy Frank eats, sleeps, and dreams about model aviation. I have been told by many that he is irritating and some have previously asked me to run. I frequently do not agree with him and have crossed swords publicly, but until this latest thing I had no grief with him personally and was willing to let him do the work.

In February I met Mike Moss down in the Valley and heard him express interest in the DVP position. I was not impressed with his knowledge of the AMA or the by-laws at the time, but that is a personal opinion. Shortly after that I offered to assist him in his effort and my offer was ignored. What a terrible way to build a team and with no team the District will suffer.

Then two of the nominees colored themselves as less than ethical and moral in their attempts at controlling who gets on the ballot. One bragged about the action and the other seems to be in hiding. One thinks it is proper for AMA politics to be a cesspool and the other just has his minions fill the pool up so he can deny there is a pool.

I firmly believe both Cain and Frank took actions that are not acceptable behavior for folks at the EC level and do not belong on the ballot. However since the rules allow it, they are there. I would have preferred to see a ballot that excluded Frank and Cain and I told Bill Oberdieck that on Thursday before the Nominations Committee met.

In my opinion, we need a much higher level of integrity on the AMA EC and that eliminates Cain and Frank. There are other personality issues that can be talked about, but there is no need to go any further of the subject as the most important thing of all is trust. We cannot trust either of these guys to do the honorable thing.

Since the Nominations Committee saw fit to put Frank and Cain on the ballot, as Horrace indicated we can withdraw them by voting for Mike Moss. The problem is that Mike's knowledge base of the AMA appears to be a bit shallow. I was not pleased when I recall parts of the conversations that included him when I was flying in the Valley. I am very concerned that he might not have the tools for the job and that means the District and the AMA suffers.

When you work it down that way, there just were not many other choices out there. When I discussed it with several others all across the district and they all indicated that this method of political activity must be stopped this time rather than wait for next time around when this type of action will probably be taken 'underground' by these kind of folks.

Oddly enough your question about what qualifies me to replace Sandy is one of the same ones I asked myself early this spring. The only things that might qualify me more for the job is that I would not take fists to the EC meetings as he has, nor would I bother owning land in or around Muncie. The thing that separates me from Cain or Frank is that I would be in the District for the flying season. Cain and Frank both spend lots of the summer elsewhere.

I have been told that Horrace has lots of good ideas, but is unwilling to negotiate. He foreignly looses out because he gets hung up on his way or the highway. Read his posts for a while and it is easy to see that is probably true. I fear that flaw would be disastrous for the AMA and District VIII because sometimes even a not so good idea can be polished up and become a wonderful tool to be used. Look at penicillin as an example.

I just don't think Mike Moss has the management technique and skills necessary to be effective at the DVP job. I have been told by people who know him better than I that he makes good political moves, which is probably a good thing. I guess.

Horrace, one of the guys in Oklahoma already suggested something similar. Lets write Sandy an open letter, on this forum and CC him a copy inviting him to do that. Maybe we should invite the rejected, I mean withdrawn candidates also?

Red Scholefield 07-28-2003 09:17 AM

Term limits - NO!

Enacting term limits is one more step in taking the responsibility of voting away from the membership.

When, and only when there are challengers to the present positions, we term limits be considered.

Meanwhile fix the nominating/voting process to level the playing field.

Start by providing the challengers and the incumbent with the same space to campaign in Model Aviation and on the AMA web site.

Red S. AMA 951
Leader Member
District V

Hossfly 07-28-2003 01:00 PM

>>>>>
JB: "One thinks it is proper for AMA politics to be a cesspool..."
<<<<<

JB, I haven't seen that. For certain, I hope, you have not confused my use of the two words ".... cess pool." In that vernacular, the two separate words have a totally different meaning than your combined one-word. Please check your dictionary. I must apologize if indeed I have created such a term that may not be properly understood. Sorry!

>>>
JR: "Lets write Sandy an open letter, on this forum and CC him a copy inviting him to do that."
<<<

Already done but directly. Awaiting reply. IMO, this debate/forum would be only for those announced and publicly declared as candidates either balloted or write-in. I would welcome issues, yet I don't care to haggle the past. That is not to say that some background review should not be presented, however, IMO, the *withdrawn* would only lead into a non-informative mud-sling of the past Nominating Committee's actions.
We cannot change history; that's only done by the National Education Association. We can discuss/debate the future, and answer questions from the floor.

>>>
Subj: 2 Questions;
Date: 7/28/2003
To: [email protected]

Hello Dr. Frank.

Interesting times. Hope your day is fine.

Ref. your July column, I thank you in advance for your response to these questions.

#1. //SNIP//

2. I have suggested to others that due to the special political situation within this District this year, that an open forum and or short debate between the 3 balloted candidates plus the one announced write-in candidate would be a good event for the SWAC this year. Do you think that way and if so do you think you could arrange it?

Respectfully submitted

Horrace D. Cain
AMA 539
~

Highlander 07-28-2003 01:22 PM

Jim

Let me start by saying your open minded attitude is a breath of fresh air,!!

appreciate that!!!!!!

Opposed to Horrace Cain for any office,and voiceing it at every opportunity!!!!!

Jim ,anything I can do to forward your campaign here in New Mexico let me know!!!

Highlander

J_R 07-28-2003 03:01 PM

Jim

One last question. You have shown a propensity, over several years, to get into personal squabbles with a few members of various forums across the internet. You have been tenacious in these squabbles. I will admit that the frequency and tenacity has slowed over the last year or so. What do you say to those of us that have seen you in action? How can we be assured that you will not act in the same manner with others on the EC if you are elected? Let me ask you quite bluntly: How are you and Red Scholefield co-existing, after several years of squabbling?

JR

Jim Branaum 07-28-2003 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Highlander
Jim

Let me start by saying your open minded attitude is a breath of fresh air,!!

appreciate that!!!!!!

Opposed to Horrace Cain for any office,and voiceing it at every opportunity!!!!!

Jim ,anything I can do to forward your campaign here in New Mexico let me know!!!

Highlander

Thank your for the nice comments! I had an emergency develop the evening before I had planned to leave for an event in New Mexico last month. I had to cancel the trip the next afternoon when I was unable to resolve all the issues.

I would appreciate it very much if you would inform your club about the 'contest' at the next meeting. Lets be nice and make sure you mention all the names. The more people aware of the choices, the better chance there is of impacting the results.

I been told by an AMA official, this morning, that my name with AMA number will work just fine. The exact spelling will not be a problem with the AMA number put on the ballot.

Highlander 07-28-2003 03:31 PM

Jim,

I would be more than glad to , our club meetings falls on the second sat. of the month, but I spend a considerable amount of time at the field between times.

In fairness,I invite all candidates to send there platforms by email,to me , I will make copies and take them to the field on the next meeting date.

Highlander

pinball-RCU 07-28-2003 03:46 PM

You have shown a propensity, over several years, to get into personal squabbles with a few members of various forums across the internet. ... What do you say to those of us that have seen you in action?

Not to mention those of us who have been unfairly at the wrong end of Jim's flame thrower. Stuff you write on the Internet lives almost forever, Jim. OK, I'm not in District 8, so who cares, but I will long remember the sting when Jim replied to one of my posts by saying I "must be on drugs". What goes around comes around.

Jim Branaum 07-28-2003 04:26 PM

Originally posted by pinball
Not to mention those of us who have been unfairly at the wrong end of Jim's flame thrower. Stuff you write on the Internet lives almost forever, Jim. OK, I'm not in District 8, so who cares, but I will long remember the sting when Jim replied to one of my posts by saying I "must be on drugs". What goes around comes around.
Pinball,
Creating a whole invalid fabrication that makes no sense to prove a point that is in error, as you did in that thread, just astounds me. It strikes me as trying to correct the definition of "is". There was no personal attack intended, but I do understand how it appeared as one. I apologize if your feelings were hurt as that was not my intention. I make mistakes, don't you?

No body is going to stop you from playing play politics in D-8. I know the some of the D-8 nominees have gone outside the district to spread their ill words about others very frequently. Just consider the level of integrity you want used in determing the future direction of the AMA.

Now to answer the question JR posed.

Lets start with the last first.

Red and I finally came to the conclusion that we were both looking at the same coin but from slightly different angles. Red invited me to moderate a group he started and I accepted with some conditions he agreed to. We still do not agree on everything, but we both respect the others opinions and rights.

In the case of others I have disagreed with, I don't think I have acted without cause or improperly. That does not say I have always been right, since I know I am as human as the next guy. I do have to admit to responding to personal attacks in a very unfriendly and fairly immediate way. Sorry, but there is a very significant difference between a personal attack and a disagreement. Oddly enough many who resort to personal attacks do not always seem to have their facts straight and frequently resort to hearsay as their standard. The same problem exists in some clubs and that has been the cause of AMA actions in the last few years.

I have met and talked with almost all on the AMA EC and even when we disagree, there is a level of conduct and graciousness that most adhere to that is well above that found on the INTERNET. I don't think it is all the face to face thing but a measure of the quality of most members of the EC. Those who do not measure up to that standard do not represent their district very well as they are pushed to the back of things and their ideas are looked at with ill will.

J_R 07-29-2003 01:35 AM

Well, pinball, it took me a while, but I found the thread. No, that is not the kind of thing that I was asking Jim about. After re-reading the thread, I see that he apologized then.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...15&forumid=211

pinball, if you are that thin skined, I personally will refrain from paying any attention to you and would suggest that Jim do the same. Stick around and enjoy yourself.

JRR

the troll 07-29-2003 02:15 AM

bologna

bologna! The mods are biased and JR and Jim are...