Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions > AMA Presidential Election 2016 (Write-in Candidate) - Frank Tiano
Reload this Page >

Questions for Presidential Write-In Candidate Frank Tiano

Community
Search
Notices
AMA Presidential Election 2016 (Write-in Candidate) - Frank Tiano This for is for you to discuss the AMA directly with Frank Tiano, an AMA Presidential Write-in Candidate. All other AMA related posts must be posted in the main forum. Foolishness, trolling and flaming will not be allowed. Keep it civil please

Questions for Presidential Write-In Candidate Frank Tiano

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 12:44 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions for Presidential Write-In Candidate Frank Tiano

Good afternoon Mr Tiano, and welcome to the AMA forums. Kudos to you for throwing your hat in the ring for the Presidency, as well as agreeing to participate in this forum. Based on your campaign statement and resume, it’s clear that you bring a depth of breadth of experience to the table. I was hoping you could answer some questions about your campaign, and your plans for the future of the AMA.

I’ve posted a few things in this thread to give some context to the questions I’ll be asking so they don’t seem out of the blue. The posts are from your FB page regarding your candidacy, as well as this site, as well as a site where e-mails purported to have come from you were posted. I’m unable to post that name of that site as it’s blocked but can provide that link directly to you if needed. If I’ve posted anything that is factually incorrect I’m happy to modify or change as needed, just let me know. I know it’s wordy, so I’ve broken each question up so it might be easier to respond. In some cases I have underlined, bolded, or italicized areas as well, but content has not been modified.

Thanks for taking some time to read through these comments and questions, hopefully you will be able to share your answers here. Best of luck in the elections, and again, thank you for getting involved in the process.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:45 PM
porcia83
Banned

ORIGINAL STATEMENT NOTING YOU WERE NOT RUNNING FOR OFFICE.
Well, here I sit, with Mini-Me, deep in thought as to what I may have done wrong in the eyes of the AMA nominating committee. I just received word that my nomination for AMA President was not approved, and will not be on the Ballot for the upcoming election. There were 4 nominees but the nominating committee, which is made up from the District VPs , can only choose three. I guess I was the least qualified or perhaps the wrong "personality" for the position. I really, really appreciate the support from all of you who would consider doing a "write-in" campaign for electing me for AMA president. I read every single one of your posts carefully. They all mean a lot to me. However, one really stood out. And that one said something like this: "Why would you wish to be part of an organization that obviously wants nothing to do with you, your talents or experience?" After thinking about that statement, I agree. So with that being said, I am Off this AMA President thing. No Sour Grapes, but truly disappointed with all of the people involved in the decision making process. For certain I will think more carefully before lending my support to those individuals in the future. If I were not the age I am, I would look into starting a NEW organization for those who just want to fly RC airplanes at either a "Club Field" or an "Event". IF I had a few, just maybe 4 guys who thought there might be a future in it, I'd even chair a committee. But, in all honesty, from what I see, from the direction it is going now and has been for the past 8 years or so, our RC hobby will be a shadow of its former self in less than 15 years. How many youngsters do you see flying model aircraft these days? One of the things I wanted to do was to bring some sort of "Challenge" to young kids to get them involved in model aviation and away from the freaking cell phones! Well, hopefully the new leader will do more than just wear baggy, wrinkled clothes to greet folks at a trade show and find ways to help, grow and preserve our sport.

SUBSEQUENT STATEMENT NOTING YOU WERE GOING TO RUN FOR OFFICE.

Wow, sometimes it's so tough to convey my thoughts. It's like I know what I am thinking but the thoughts do not transform into the proper words! The REASONS I sought to be president were MULTIPLE. For Example;

1- I'd like to streamline the Large Scale Airplane program so that pilots don't have to sign up every year for the same airplane they have been flying for the past 12 months. Just creates paper work and unreasonable expense, for everyone.

2- One person alone CANNOT father a program for youth without an audience! I'm am SO surprised you don't recognize that Jay. The Prez. has a magazine column with 100,000 viewers, a considerable presence at Trade Shows and a mile high Soap Box! To get a youth program going you need the entire AMA behind you. Right now, they have ZERO!

3- I'd like to see more insurance coverage made available, for those who run events and are WILLING to PAY for the premium.

4- I'd lilke to see Event SPONSORS names allowed to be added to the Additional Insured List. They are NOT allowed currently.

5- I'd like to see more "teeth" into how a person flying dangerously is reprimanded.

6- I'd like to see a severe separation in applicable rules" between DRONES and Model AIRCRAFT!

7- I'd lke to see the AMA cater to fixed wing pilots to the SAME Degree as they curently do to Drone operators, thousands of who, by the way, have blatently said they have no USE for the AMA's rules or procedures!

Must I go on? How about this? I wanted to be President to be instrumental in EVERYTHING that needs to be done and HAS NOT BEEN! I know the president cannot do it by himself, but the proper leader, who knows WHAT HE's DOING, can be mighty helpful in leading the way. Of course I have an Ego. Most people that are successful in what they do KNOW they are successful. I've been doing this hobby thing for more years that most of the members are old, and I paid attention along the way, made lots of mistakes, and made some really good moves as well. I thought I was QUALIFIED for the position. The board thought differently and voted in their own.

End of story. Hopefully this response may answer at least some of your question
Old 08-17-2016, 12:46 PM
porcia83
Banned

Internal links

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...embership.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ocation-2.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...rida-jets.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-scale-aircraft-169/6748884-arfs-scale-contests-5.html#post6760384
Old 08-17-2016, 12:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

Frank has confirmed that e-mails were sent to those parties, however they were revised and/or modified.

Last edited by porcia83; 08-18-2016 at 01:03 PM. Reason: additional information.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:57 PM
porcia83
Banned

Default Questions

You have noted above that you would like to see a “severe separation between Drones and model aircraft”. Further, you want to “see the AMA cater to fixed wing pilots to the SAME Degree as they curently do to Drone operators.”
My first question to you would be, could you be specific as to how you go about doing these things you note above, and what you think the benefit to the AMA and membership would be? If the Feds don’t differentiate at the hobby level, why would the AMA need to?

You were previously involved in two roles within the AMA, one as the President of the SIG known as JPO, and per your campaign statement, an Associate Vice President. At some point you were no longer an AVP. Can you explain what happened to your role as an AVP?

You have made references to AMA youth programs, seeming to indicate they either don’t have one (ZERO), and that you have a plan to attract more youth. It appears that the AMA has more than one program targeted to youths, the largest being free memberships, the STEM programs, Flight School, and also Day Camps. You have been involved with the AMA in several capacities, as well as being a Leader Member and event promoter. I have two questions regarding your plans to attract youths. Leading up to this campaign, what specific things have you done over the past 8 years, or as a Leader Member and AVP to attract youths to the AMA?Finally, what are your specific plans to attract youths to this hobby, and the AMA, beyond what is already in place. Do you have any plan on tracking the effectiveness of this plan?

Your company’s events and products are world renowned, there aren’t many folks who fly larger scale aircraft who haven’t heard of them. Giant scale aircraft, and specifically turbine aircraft represent a small segment of this hobby, and perhaps decreasing in popularity as well given costs, noise issues, and space constraints. Some of your agenda items above seem to be catering to this segment of the market, and would appear to favor and financially benefit similar companies and products. Do you see any conflict here? Why are there no plans to deal with smaller sized aircraft, foam airplanes, and helis? If elected, will you recuse yourself from any decisions that could financially benefit your companies?

Finally, and I think most importantly, is the issue of temperament and the ability to effectively lead a large team of people towards a common goal. This election might be the most important election the AMA has or will see in the near future. The role of President isn’t a dictatorship, even a benevolent one. The role will require the President to deal with many moving parts, and the staff and personnel as well. There will be times when the EC will not agree on how to move forward on something. The position involves getting out and meeting members of the public, the media, government officials of all types, and most importantly members of the AMA who might not agree with your direction. This is a large membership and emotions are running high with the Us versus Them issue regarding MR/Drones, and more “traditional” fixed wing. With that being said, the following questions:
How will you lead your EC if they are opposed to the way you want to direct the AMA? What if the overall membership is not interested in a severe separation of drones versus airplanes, and changing the “rules” for these aircraft? How do you see yourself dealing with that?

Earlier in the thread I referenced your initial post on FB after noting that you were not selected as a candidate on the ballot. You noted that were you younger, you should start a different organization catering exclusively to fixed wing aircraft. You completely eliminated helicopters, as well as multi-rotors. Further, you said you were disappointed with the members of the EC that chose to not include you on the ballot, and would. “…For certain I will think more carefully before lending my support to those individuals in the future..”. You ended your comments with a gratuitous and seemingly petty comment about the current president’s actions and appearance, clothing specifically. That didn’t appear warranted nor professional in any manner. I’ve copied two e-mails that were reported to have been sent by you to an individual who wanted to attend one of your events, and flew 3D style. I’ve also posted several threads from this site where you were an active participant in, and had firsthand accounts of dealing with you at different events and situations.

My questions; specifically with regards to the e-mails. Did you in fact write those e-mails? If so, do you feel that was an appropriate response, regardless of what was said to prompt that?

After not being nominated, you said you wouldn’t want to be part of this organization and wished to create a new one, and then indicated you would have to think about supporting those who had not nominated you. In all likelihood, those folks would still be part of the EC that you would be President of. You have made an about face and decided to run for the Presidency.

Do you feel you have any temperament issues? The position will deal with adverse situations that will inevitably come up in your role as President, do you think you are prepared to deal with this issue with your staff, as well as external entities in a reasonable and professional manner?
Old 08-17-2016, 01:09 PM
porcia83
Banned

My apologies, on the first question the quote should read “...severe separation between Drones and model aircraft rules..". I've tried to edit that but when doing so, the content part of the edit is blank.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Frank, as noted previously, I'm unable to modify my questions for some reason, so I cannot delete this one:

My questions; specifically with regards to the e-mails. Did you in fact write those e-mails? If so, do you feel that was an appropriate response, regardless of what was said to prompt that?

After posting these, it is clear those have been redacted from my comments. As suggested, I will send them directly to you for your review and comment. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

E-mail sent.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:49 AM
FTiano
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately I still have to make a living so I just cannot spend as ,much time on RCU, or any other forum for that matter, that I might like. I will give an abbreviated answer to all the questions posted by one person.
#1 In my view, the AMA membership numbers, for pre-adult and adults, are in a state of decline. You can read on most "Drone" forums that many participants of that sport are not interested in abiding by a set of "rules" put forth by our AMA. Perhaps they prefer something that is specific to that specific sport. I'd like to see the AMA pay as much attention to model "airplane" enthusiasts" as they once did. Pretty simple.
#2 I did my thing as a District VP and then moved on. I never intended to be in that position for Life.
#3 First of all, as ONE person, I have NO means of tracking anything I do, wish to do, plan to do etc. What I have done in the past and still do for Youth? I encourage them to fly at Top Gun, whether as a participant or as a Demo pilot. When there was enough interest, I hosted huge "Building Sessions" at my events, manning them with instructors and setting up dozens of work tables for interested kids to build rubber powered airplanes. Then we let them "Mass Launch" them in front of all the spectators.
#4 If one were to really analyze the modeling market place they would see, and understand, that modeling as we once knew it is about over. There are less Balsa kits available for sale any more. Most everything is ARF, including the large scale models and Jets. Plan sales are considerably down. People who used to build stuff are now older and either have no interest or have moved to a retirement environment without a workshop. Everything has changed. So, to answer your question more directly: There are NO entities to cater to. My business cannot be increased by my position in the AMA. Dave Brown, a far larger name than mine, did a great job as president while still at the helm of Dave Brown Products! Anyone selling in the Hobby industry is probably doing less than what their sales were 8 years ago. Why? Because there is less out there to buy that can be built! Yes, I would recuse myself from any decision that would impact my company, but that would be automatic since the President doesn't dictate policy, he only suggests. Voting on matters is done by the District VP s.
#5 I see myself serving the membership and fighting for what that membership would like. Not what I would like.When was the last time you saw a questionnaire published for members to fill out, stating their preferences on any subject? I imagine the expense of logging in the responses for that kind of information would be quite dear, is there a way to divert some funds from some other "project" over to one that puts the VPs in direct touch with their members, to find out what their wishes amount to?
#6 Yup, I certainly did write that! I strongly feel I am qualified for this position. If you don't think so, you are certainly entitled to that opinion. I strongly feel that there have been times when our representatives have NOT appeared presentable for meeting government officials or perhaps even the membership at large. I believe that First Impressions are paramount when meeting and dealing with any authority. I have been to trade shows and have seen our officials dressed like something less than professional. Elephant in the Room? I hope so! Was it appropriate? How does anything get accomplished, or changed for the better, if no person is brave enough to stand up and call out something that might be wrong?
#7 Yes, I think you may be correct. I sometimes DO have temperament issues. Especially when things go extremely wrong that could have been avoided. Yes, I am vocal about matters like that. However, no one should confuse getting annoyed, concerned or verbally active with disrespect or abusiveness. Because, people that know me well will tell you I have no agenda.I don't carry grudges. I work hard to get things done the right way. I speak my mind with no animosity what so ever. Business is business. Interpreting that any differently would be unfair in my view. I interface with representatives from multi-million dollar companies, probably on a weekly basis (FTE does way more than just Hobby Business) and have been, and remain, successful by anyone's standards. So, when necessary I can be most professional, and when necessary, I feel at home in the trenches as well.
#8 Hopefully this will satisfy your concerns. I don't expect anyone to be in full agreement with it all, but they are "answers" never the less.

Last edited by FTiano; 08-23-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:28 AM
porcia83
Banned

I appreciate you taking the time to read and respond to the questions. And thanks again for getting more involved with the AMA and running for office.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:19 AM
porcia83
Banned

Last edited by porcia83; 08-19-2016 at 01:04 PM. Reason: duplicate post
Old 08-18-2016, 12:41 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by FTiano
Unfortunately I still have to make a living so I just cannot spend as ,much time on RCU, or any other forum for that matter, that I might like. I will give an abbreviated answer to all the questions posted by one person.
#1 In my view, the AMA membership numbers, for pre-adult and adults, are in a state of decline. You can read on most "Drone" forums that many participants of that sport are not interested in abiding by a set of "rules" put forth by our AMA. Perhaps they prefer something that is specific to that specific sport. I'd like to see the AMA pay as much attention to model "airplane" enthusiasts" as they once did. Pretty simple.
#2 I did my thing as a District VP and then moved on. I never intended to be in that position for Life.
#3 First of all, as ONE person, I have NO means of tracking anything I do, wish to do, plan to do etc. What I have done in the past and still do for Youth? I encourage them to fly at Top Gun, whether as a participant or as a Demo pilot. When there was enough interest, I hosted huge "Building Sessions" at my events, manning them with instructors and setting up dozens of work tables for interested kids to build rubber powered airplanes. Then we let them "Mass Launch" them in front of all the spectators.
#4 If one were to really analyze the modeling market place they would see, and understand, that modeling as we once knew it is about over. There are very few Balsa kits available for sale any more. Most everything is ARF, including the large scale models and Jets. Plan sales are considerably down. People who used to build stuff are now older and either have no interest or have moved to a retirement environment without a workshop. Everything has changed. So, to answer your question more directly: There are NO entities to cater to. My business cannot be increased by my position in the AMA. Dave Brown, a far larger name than mine, did a great job as president while still at the helm of Dave Brown Products! Anyone selling GLUE in the Hobby industry is probably at 50% of less than what their sales were 8 years ago. Why? Because there is not much out there to buy that can be built! Yes, I would recuse myself from any decision that would impact my company, but that would be automatic since the President doesn't dictate policy, he only suggests. Voting on matters is done by the District VP s.
#5 I see myself serving the membership and fighting for what that membership would like. Not what I would like.When was the last time you saw a questionnaire published for members to fill out, stating their preferences on any subject? I imagine the expense of logging in the responses for that kind of information would be quite dear, is there a way to divert some funds from some other "project" over to one that puts the VPs in direct touch with their members, to find out what their wishes amount to?
#6 Yup, I certainly did write that! I strongly feel I am qualified for this position. If you don't think so, you are certainly entitled to that opinion. I strongly feel that there have been times when our representatives have NOT appeared presentable for meeting government officials or perhaps even the membership at large. I believe that First Impressions are paramount when meeting and dealing with any authority. I have been to trade shows and have seen our officials dressed like something less than professional. Elephant in the Room? I hope so! Was it appropriate? How does anything get accomplished, or changed for the better, if no person is brave enough to stand up and call out something that might be wrong?
#7 Yes, I think you may be correct. I sometimes DO have temperament issues. Especially when things go extremely wrong that could have been avoided. Yes, I am vocal about matters like that. However, no one should confuse getting annoyed, concerned or verbally active with disrespect or abusiveness. Because, people that know me well will tell you I have no agenda.I don't carry grudges. I work hard to get things done the right way. I speak my mind with no animosity what so ever. Business is business. Interpreting that any differently would be unfair in my view. I interface with representatives from multi-million dollar companies, probably on a weekly basis (FTE does way more than just Hobby Business) and have been, and remain, successful by anyone's standards. So, when necessary I can be most professional, and when necessary, I feel at home in the trenches as well.
#8 Hopefully this will satisfy your concerns. I don't expect anyone to be in full agreement with it all, but they are "answers" never the less.
Thanks Frank I appreciate you taking the time to post this.

Mike
Old 08-18-2016, 04:42 PM
cj_rumley

Hi Frank,
For most of my fifty or so years of AMA membership, AMA was the united voice for all modelers in the nation. Over the past few years it has become increasingly parochial, noticeably beginning after the AMA call to all modelers to mail/Email their legislators to gain their support for what became the Special Rule for Model Aircraft, and subsequently the non-members were pushed to the curb. Most recently, in the Sept '16 of MA, they declared that "AMA has also made it clear that to operate within our safety program, you must join AMA and affirm your willingness to comply with the AMA Safety Code and related safety guidelines." Though FAA has said otherwise, if this were to stand the vast majority of modelers in the nation would not be authorized to fly by the Special Rule (per the "within the programming of" wording of the law, which would then only apply to dues paying AMA members. It has been suggested that modelers that don't want to join AMA can fly under the upcoming Part 107, which is unsavory as that FAA rule is intended for drones, not model aircraft. I'm not at all in accord with AMA's stated position on this, and I would very much like to hear your take on the issue.

Thanks for stepping up to the plate,
Cletus
Old 08-19-2016, 03:30 AM
FTiano

Honesty is always the best policy and I would be getting several Pinocchios if I told you I fully understand the AMA's "real" feelings or intentions about any of what you mention. I do know that I am for Model Aircraft operating as it once was and if ANY other form of modeling were to infringe upon that, I'd do what I could to keep it separated and segregated from Model Airplanes. That does not mean I'd turn my back on them, or make their life difficult so to speak, but address their concerns as THEIR concerns, not model airplane's. Perhaps, if elected, I may see an entire different viewpoint and would change my mind. I just don't know at this time.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

Honesty is always the best policy and I would be getting several Pinocchios if I told you I fully understand the AMA's "real" feelings or intentions about any of what you mention. I do know that I am for Model Aircraft operating as it once was and if ANY other form of modeling were to infringe upon that, I'd do what I could to keep it separated and segregated from Model Airplanes. That does not mean I'd turn my back on them, or make their life difficult so to speak, but address their concerns as THEIR concerns, not model airplane's. Perhaps, if elected, I may see an entire different viewpoint and would change my mind. I just don't know at this time.
You made comments previously about starting an organization that would cater specifically to fixed wing aircraft. In this quote noted you note that you are for model aircraft operating as it once was, but also talk about separating and segregating them from "model airplanes".

Would this include heli's as well? They have been part of the AMA for some time now.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:35 AM
FTiano

Yes, of course. Traditional Helicopters, as used in the Hobby of model aviation.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:02 AM
rcmiket

Frank can I get your take on using Leader Members for insight and input on AMA policy changes and direction . I know this "tool" was utilized in the past but from what I understand from other LM's their "insight" is not solicited as much as in the past.

Mike
Old 08-19-2016, 06:24 AM
franklin_m

Mr. Tiano,

AMA put revenue into Muncie and into local flying sites. Currently, the balance is about 3 to 1 in favor of Muncie. Given that Muncie is hundreds of miles from most members, do you feel that balance is correct?
Old 08-19-2016, 09:20 AM
FTiano

I believe that LM's input is paramount in making things work. However, I am unaware of exactly how much input was ever received! Yes, I'd welcome it, providing there was a streamlined way to log it all in, assuming there was a drastic influx of material, all of a sudden.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:23 AM
FTiano

Again, without having been privy to all conversations and voting sessions I find it difficult to answer. I imagine that some thoujght was given to making the AMA headquarters site as nice a possible since they host the AMA Nationals, and a few other prestigious events, at that site.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:03 PM
porcia83
Banned

Yes, of course. Traditional Helicopters, as used in the Hobby of model aviation.
Great, thanks for the clarification!
Old 08-23-2016, 04:44 AM
franklin_m

Mr. Tiano,

Looking at the AMA's financial data, from the latest IRS990 available, it appears that the magazine accounts for around $20 of the membership fee. Would you support a reduced cost "no magazine" membership option?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AMA Expense Percentages.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	2177993  

Last edited by franklin_m; 08-23-2016 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Added graphic
Old 08-23-2016, 06:05 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree, the magazine is expensive and out dated method of communication. The magazine sent by Internet is far more economical. I read the AMA magazine on my computer, that is why many of our hobby magazines went out of business. The printed magazine should stopped. This is another example of the failing leadership of AMA. I think it is time for a change, I support forward thinking people. I plan to write in Frank Tiano for AMA President.

Rich
Old 08-23-2016, 06:08 AM
FTiano

I am investigating right now, but if memory serves me, there IS an option to have a membership Without a magazine subscription.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:48 AM
porcia83
Banned

There is, a member can opt out of getting the magazine. The follow up to that however is that if a person opts out of the paper magazine, the thought is that they should get a corresponding discount on their membership.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.