Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hanger 9 Ultra stick VS GP Big Stick

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hanger 9 Ultra stick VS GP Big Stick

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 01:14 PM
SMOKEFAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanger 9 Ultra stick VS GP Big Stick

I have flown many sticks and like the GP big stick. I was wonder what expierences you may have had with the Ultra stick?

Hows the quality compared?

I hear the Ultra stick has larger control surfaces?

Thanks
Shawn

Old 09-25-2010, 06:47 PM
Skyfly0311
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Hanger 9 Ultra stick VS GP Big Stick

The ultra stick is built lighter than the big stick. I had one they fly great. The ultra stick has an option for flaps as well.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:05 PM
WCB

The utrastick has been discontinued.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:07 PM
SMOKEFAN

Thank you for the replies. I did get a reply from horizon and they tell me it will be back instock at the beginning of OCT. I dont think its discontinued. Thats just days away so I may hanf tight and see what arrives.

Have the past issues with the material been fixed?
Old 09-26-2010, 09:10 PM
oldtyme

I've had both and I would not think twice about buying the GP Big Stick..........but I would not have another Ultra Stick. The Ultra Stick is not a Stick the way it flys. I have had and still do Stick's from the late 70's until present and I still have my Midwest Sweet Stik that I built in 1984. I now have it and the GP Big Stick 60 and I love them both. I finally used my Ultra Stick 40 for kindling. Oh sure it flew OK but it just did not have that Stick "feel" so I put the engine out of it to better use..........there are lots of them around though.........probably would be fine for someone who had not previously had a Stick.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 AM
ceecrb1

Having never seen one fly.... what is it about these stiks that makes people go so mad??
Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 PM
SMOKEFAN

They are just so much fun to fly but yet stable. Fly very well in wind and set properly will do just about anything you can throw at then. They are fast agile and just a blast to fly. It's a plane you can have in your hanger forever and never get tired of flying it.

Oldtyme, what did you not like about the hanger 9? Quality seems to be the major complaint. I have had a couple of GP sticks and love them. Just was thinking about another design to try.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:43 PM
oldtyme

SMOKEFAN,

It was just a little squirrelier than regular Sticks and unless you had paticularly great landings, you were constantly replacing the landing gear. Now I'm not limiting that ciritcism to H9 because several guys in our club had GP Ucan-Do's and they had the same problem with the gear. Maybe it's my age showing but there was just something "not quite right" with the H9 Ultra-Stick that I could not put my finger on but when I went to the GP Big Stick it was much like the older designs and like I say, I still have my original Midwest Sweet Stik and the GP Stick flies just like it.
Old 09-27-2010, 01:22 PM
flygilmore

Learn how to land softly like your supposed to!!! No more probs....pretty simple concept.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:43 PM
SMOKEFAN

Thank you oldtyme for the feedback.

Did GP recently raise the price of the stik 40 ARF? Tower has a price of 149.99 now. That seems way hight from what I have paid in the past. I went with Omni though and picked it up for 119.00 Shipped
Old 09-27-2010, 04:24 PM
oldtyme

flygilmore.................Ive been flying a long time and I know the concept........I'm a full-scale pilot too..........but even the best of the best at our field make a less than perfect landing. It's easy to chime in here with your kind of rhetoric but the fact remains that that is a weak spot in that plane..........however I'm sure that every landing you make is picture perfect.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:45 AM
flygilmore

It just gets old seeing the same old guys (at my club) that slam their planes down on the runway and then fault the design. You hear it here as well. Yes, my landings are quite nice I might add. Nothing like seeing my 1/4 scale DR.1 403/17 coming in at first light and gently touching down so realistically followed by an ever so graceful semi ground loop as the tail drops....quite scale!
Old 09-28-2010, 03:38 PM
SMOKEFAN

Big deal that not what the thread was about so quick keyboard racing and mucking up my thread. As expierenced as you make it out to be maybe you would have learned Forum etiquette. You chose a hobby with alot of older people that are involved....now I see why they dont like large scale pilots to......and im probably younger then everyone in this thread.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:54 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: SMOKEFAN

Did GP recently raise the price of the stik 40 ARF? Tower has a price of 149.99 now. That seems way hight from what I have paid in the past. I went with Omni though and picked it up for 119.00 Shipped
I'm not sure SMOKEFAN..........I bought my GP Big Stick 60 several years ago for $169 and I see it is now $179. LHS said that GP had raised prices accross the board. One thing I don't like about the GP ARF's is that you cannot get a direct replacement fuel tank when (notice I said when) the tank splits at the input. That happened on my Big Stick and I'm afraid it will happen on the PT17 Stearman that I'm assembling now. I called Tower and they verified that there is no direct replacement...........what's up with that??
Old 09-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Woody218
My Feedback: (24)

Here's my $.02. The Ultra Sticks have a bit more maneuverability to them than the older Stick design that GP sells. That said, I've always enjoyed the flight characteristics of the original Stik design. My first aileron airplane was a Midwest Sweet Stik way back in the mid 70's. Just good, honest flying qualities!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:37 PM
SMOKEFAN

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

ORIGINAL: SMOKEFAN

I'm not sure SMOKEFAN..........I bought my GP Big Stick 60 several years ago for $169 and I see it is now $179. LHS said that GP had raised prices accross the board. One thing I don't like about the GP ARF's is that you cannot get a direct replacement fuel tank when (notice I said when) the tank splits at the input. That happened on my Big Stick and I'm afraid it will happen on the PT17 Stearman that I'm assembling now. I called Tower and they verified that there is no direct replacement...........what's up with that??
You are correct and the GP tank sucks. I usually ditch them for a dubro or sulivan and get my dremal out for modification. When done I can get a better tank and an extra 2 ounces.

Woody thanks for your input. That seems to be standard across the board but I hear the H9 has balso splitting issues and such?
Old 09-28-2010, 04:52 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: Woody218-RCU

Here's my $.02. The Ultra Sticks have a bit more maneuverability to them than the older Stick design that GP sells. That said, I've always enjoyed the flight characteristics of the original Stik design. My first aileron airplane was a Midwest Sweet Stik way back in the mid 70's. Just good, honest flying qualities!
Woody.............As I said before...........I've still got and fly my original Midwest Sweet Stik with it's original OS 45FSR.....a good combination..........although for a larger plane I enjoy my GP BS60 even if it does have a tad of dihedral!!
Old 10-07-2010, 09:53 PM
150flyer

Here's a video of my Ultra Stick 40 with an OS .55AX in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HQF6J-s42Q
Old 10-11-2010, 08:43 AM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I've got two GP Giant Big Sticks, and I bought my first H9 Ultra Stick Lite 1.20 yesterday. It had an OS .91 fx on the nose...I replaced it with a Moki 1.80.....that should make a difference. ....Anyway, if any of you H9 Stick owners would give me the CG, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 02:51 PM
ScottMcM
My Feedback: (66)

I flew the ultra stick yesterday. Whoever said the Ultra stick was a little more aerobatic than the giant big stick was correct. The GP Big stick seems a little more of a Sunday flyer than the Ultra Stick....of course, my engine choices could be the cause of that. The 1.80 Moki makes for more of a white knuckle ride than the G38 The Ultra stick seems more like a sports car, whereas the Giant stik is more like flying a bus[X(]....although the Giant Big Stick with the Saito 300 twin would be a "hot rod" bus, for sure. In the end, I like 'em both, which one I fly will depend on what kind of mood I'm in when it's time to load up to go flying.