Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GP Super Sportster 40 engine install help!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GP Super Sportster 40 engine install help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 PM
ChriCYWG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Super Sportster 40 engine install help!

Im going to install either a Super Tigre 45 or OS 46AX in my Super Sportster... question is has anyone succesfully fitted one of these engines in without basically hacking the whole front end of the engine compartment apart to make it fit?
The engine right now is sitting right on the forward edge of the mount, the drive hub has barely come through the required 3mm, and I will need to take lots of wood out of the front end so the carb does not sit against the fuse and on the other side I will need to dremel away a good chunk of the front just so the throttle arm will move...

I don't even know how I wuld get the super tigre to fit without literally hacking the front end of the plane apart...

Anyone else experienced this with this arf, or am I blatantly doing something wrong here....
Old 02-22-2011, 06:19 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: GP Super Sportster 40 engine install help!

I had a .46-AX in mine and I don't recall the installation being a problem.I do seem to remember removing a little bit of material to clear the carb but that's about it. It has been a while though so there could be parts that I am not remembering.
Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 PM
ChriCYWG

I think I got it sorted out.. there are 2 triangular shaped blocks that were up front that I essentially had to hack away to make it fit...
For my first build ever this thing is a real PITA!! I think anything after this is going to be a joke!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Eganwp
My Feedback: (1)

I had the OS 55ax in my SS 40 with 0 issues and 0 mods to make it fit...
Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 AM
ChriCYWG

ORIGINAL: Eganwp

Interesting since the 46 and 55 share the same dimensions.... mine is rammed far forward, and I needed to hack out the triangular pieces of balsa in the front corners of the engine compartment so the carb and throttle arm fit.. also had to sand down the interior to make room for the pushrod clevis to fit... it looks like it will all work, but this ARF has been nothng but trouble.... it will probably fly great though....
Old 02-23-2011, 01:43 PM
autoguns

Same here,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99674.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1568801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68643.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1568802  
Old 02-23-2011, 03:06 PM
el_xero
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: autoguns

Same here,
yoo how do you like that muffler? I just put that one on my thunder tiger .46. All the guys say it sounds kinda like a 4 stroke I love it!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:16 PM
el_xero
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ChriCYWG

I think I got it sorted out.. there are 2 triangular shaped blocks that were up front that I essentially had to hack away to make it fit...
For my first build ever this thing is a real PITA!! I think anything after this is going to be a joke!

Yeah you're right I've got a thunder tiger .46 pro on mine and I had to do the same as well as take a bit off the front to fit the carb and add a bunch of washers to get the engine fwd enough so that my dubro 2.5" spinner would spin clear of the cowl. It flys well though I'll give it that running an apc 10x7 now will try a master airscrew 10x8 soon.

Also watch that landing gear and pants. on my first landing which was a very good one my right landing gear gave way a bit and the pants popped a hole in my wing. (just like every one in the forums said it would) when i got into the wing to see what was up I was shocked to see how this was put together... the block the gear goes into was CA's into place rather than epoxyed on... any shock small or not would knock that thing loose I can't believe GP allowes this kind of piss poor work on their planes man very disappointed here.I went into the other wing to be safe and sure enough they did the same thing there too, so i had to take it out and do my own thing, now its rock solid. Also the grain on the share webs were the wrong way too. Be safe and good luck to you!
Old 02-23-2011, 07:03 PM
autoguns

ORIGINAL: el_xero

ORIGINAL: autoguns

Same here,
yoo how do you like that muffler? I just put that one on my thunder tiger .46. All the guys say it sounds kinda like a 4 stroke I love it!
I like it , It kinda robbed a bit from the low and mid range but picked up on the top end right where I need it...JW
Old 02-24-2011, 12:06 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The O.S. 46AX will be a very nice fit..

I had an O.S. 65LA on mine but i had to butcher the sides of the engine compartment.

-