Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Saito Fa100t / Super Sport Senior

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Saito Fa100t / Super Sport Senior

Old 04-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Steveibrc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito Fa100t / Super Sport Senior

Got the airframe inbound from World. Older model Saito FA100T/with a (homemade) onboard glow is what I have in mind to power it. Or could go with a Saito 125 single cyl. Any advice/experience/beentheredonethat/? All the threads i am seeing are old. So just wondering if anyone has tried this particular hookup?

Old 04-30-2011, 04:07 AM
Texastbird

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saito Fa100t / Super Sport Senior

Well, a 91 OS four stroke flies my buddy's just fine. So if you aren't looking for 3d performance the little twin would be fun after you figured out how to fit the cowling. I'm sure the 125 would really give the Sportster a shot of adrenalin.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:54 AM
Waco
My Feedback: (265)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a Youtube video of one flying with a saito 125, If it were mine I would try a DLE 20. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6cb02fkbK4[youtube][/youtube]
Old 04-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Steveibrc

Thanks for the comments and video link.

I am happy with a 46 Surpass in a Toledo Special  and a slow speed/maneuvers type flying style, and hope the chose of this airframe for the 100T works as well. There just isn't that many good ARFs out there that throw back to 'golden age' that are not 'round motor' and or WWI or a inverted design. I am sure there are a lot of nice flat twins in boxes in closets that would come out and in service if someone would arf, say  a Pietenpol or maybe a Flybaby (There is the the Chez Hvp Flybaby, but it is stupidly expensive shipped here). So it was the Supersports or the Spacewalker on my list. Another civilian design that would be fun is a Breezy. Would look like a flying Erector set

This will be my first round with a twin and figure the cowl might get 'interesting'. Hope it doesn't get too radical and require splitting or something. Read that sometimes it's necessary to do that. Know soon enough,  plane will be here midweek. If the 100T won't fit, i can rob the 125 out of my P-40. Never have been that crazy about flying that airplane(and it's flimsy mechanical retracts) anyway.

The new DLEs are nice as heck. Guess i am happy with glow motors though. Collected up enough nice 2 and 4 strokes over the years though that it will take me several lifetime to wear them all out.. Cant see going to gas for me
Old 05-03-2011, 02:21 AM
bikerbc

That Guy is a good pilot How does he do that roll manover about 1.22 into the flight..That is so cool. I want to learn how to do that...Along with some of the other stuff...I like the plane too. I have a 1.20 spacewalker that might fly about the same.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:23 AM
bikerbc

That Guy is a good pilot How does he do that roll manover about 1.22 into the flight..That is so cool. I want to learn how to do that...Along with some of the other stuff...I like the plane too. I have a 1.20 spacewalker that might fly about the same.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Steveibrc

I came close to going with a Spacewalker,  Bikerman. The SS 90 is advertised a bit lighter and smaller. Probably better suited to a fa100t..Although it you put that motor in a 1.20 Walker, i wouldn't be surprised it it didn't fly it well. People tend toward overpowering airplanes. Full scale and RCs.I have been guilty of that for sure

You said your Spacewalker 'might fly'....You putting it together?

Old 05-04-2011, 04:19 AM
bikerbc

Yes Putting it together, I have it together but haven't flowen it because I overpowerd it. I put a Saito 1.80 on it and when I started it it about shook the wheel pants off it.They actually started to crack with one tank of fuel.....I have the motor inverted and the fuel tank is too high as well. so I have some changes to make before it is safe to fly . Its a beautiful plane though..I tend to over power things..I have a 124 S&S in my Harley..
Old 05-04-2011, 09:54 AM
Steveibrc

I hear you. Things done got out of hand when they start sh**ing airframe parts on initial run up  Aftermarket skywalker ?

If you plan to reengine it, i have a Saito FA125 in the aforementioned H9 P-40. Put the plane together about 5 years ago with a new motor and ran about a gallon of fuel through it. Most on the test stand run in.  Quit fooling with r/cs for a while, Got it back airworthy a few months back, busted a retract servo first outing, and haven't got back around to fooling with it. Plane is hanging on display in the airport kiosk of the local tourist ride pilot here in Gulf Shores. Was planning to do a Storch project with the motor at some point unless someone else wants it.

SS 90 came  today. Looks good so far, Have found one minor flaw. From what I am seeing, the fa100t has got to come off the firewall 42 mm (almost 1 3/4 in). New teritory for me. Never mounted a twin so research is in order.....hardwood blocks with through bolts in both directions?

Love them Harleys i run a 03 dyna.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 PM
bikerbc

I have been thinking about trying a DLE 20...I haven't tried any of the small gas motors yet...I am much more familiar with glow..I was thinking about a Saito 125.They dont shake as bad as the 150's or the 180's.Not as thirsty either..Should have lots of power . I have the Seagull Spacewalker ... I havent mounted a twin yet either but I cant see why hard wood standoffs with thru bolts woldn't work...Where did you get your Super Sport Senior? Is it a kit or an ARF? I am very interested in the plane..
I like the Dyna's , I am riding a 85 FXR that I bought new in 85...IIt has over 300 thousand miles on it...
Old 05-06-2011, 07:10 AM
Steveibrc

Same on the glow. We are beginning to sound like those old guys from the free flight/pulse radio generation before us, or me anyway...... Times change.
Unbelievable on the Harley and its mileage. They hadn't been building the blockheads long and yours was one of the first belt drives i think Weren't the first big blockheads chain drive?.....amazing about the miles. Short riding season up where you are. Lot's of defensive driving and more than a few war stories and occasional adrenalin rushes over that many miles.  I recently signed over to my son  a 84 Sportster XLS Roadster i bought nearly new in 86.It was built in the last six months run of the shovel days. Lot of memories associated with a bike over that many years.  My Dyna had 11k on it when i got it 6 or 7 years back, and had major top end upgrades done by the original owner. More than he could afford apparently. It sold pretty cheap just before the bankers got it back. But knock on wood...it has done beautifully over the last few years.  Just kinda jumpy and unhappy if you get caught in traffic, but a dream on the highway. At the same time, it  will give a stock V Rod a good run for the money.

Sounds like that Skywalker needs a bit of help. That 180 in it's nose gives it bad reoccurring dreams about green garbage bags   I have the box and manual for the Saito if you have a trade or figure in mind.  I haven't yet checked prices for that series motor, whatever is fair and the market will bear . Seen some threads on 1.20 Walkers and SS 90's running 125's, should be great. This one is a FA-125a if  you want to compare the footprint. Might get lucky with a straight bolt in.

My SS cam from World's online store in CA. Really nice overall. H9 fan till now. My first by World. Problem with elevator though. Apparently hinged too tight to fuselage. Will have to be hacked off for clearance. No way around it that i can see. Will see how good their support is today. From what i understand, they are good folks.

Gotta get something going on the engine mount thing.  Should be lots of off the shelf stand-offs/mount plates out there. If not i will get an broom handle and a chop saw. (If) anyone is reading this, links on mount hardware would be appreciated.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:11 AM
bikerbc

A new Saito FA 125 w muff would cost around $389.00 ... That would include shipping etc...My lhs matches Tower ...I want to keep my Saito 1.80 although I dont know what I will ever use it on at this point...I really dont care for how much it shakes and how thirsty it is... My Lhs says he can get me in either a Dle 20 or 30 in about a week...I just need to decide if I think a 20 is enough power for my spacewalker or if I should go to the 30....They are cheaper than the Saito 125...Not that that ever had much bearing on my decisions before...It would be pretty hard for you to ship your motor up here at a reasonable price making it worth both our whiles...We are too far apart...I can buy a used one up here for $150.00..It has been in a crash and has had the crank replaced ,been test run and runs fine but when you buy used there is no waranty etc.etc.. We need another site to talk about our war ponys..There are some stories there for sure...
Old 05-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Cherokee Flyer

You will really like the DLE-20, just got one and started running it in. A very nice engine. Will turn a 17-6 with ease! Still flying your T/S?

L.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:48 PM
Steveibrc

I hear you on the 125, the DLE's are nice motors. Transmitter upgrade is next on my list. On the T/S,  I am getting getting familiar with it  Cherokee,. Been pretty windy with no afternoon lays on the coast till the last few days. Gusty as heck when it does slow. Today was the first perfect afternoon in weeks. PM sent.

Got to digging into this SS project over the weekend. Got the gear pants reinforced and mounted tonight. Going to be a nice plane. Really the only thing i don't care too much for in it's looks is the canopy. Huge. Could play basketball in there. I would have chose different colors for the trim.also. Wasn't a real fan of purple for that matter, but there are zillions of red airplanes out there.

Will get the elevator clearance issue sorted out this week. WM support guy has been very helpful.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:27 PM
benjret

Super Sport Senior with DLE 20

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xegCQCsKV7o[/youtube]