Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Is Sig Manufacturing Goig Out Of Business

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Is Sig Manufacturing Goig Out Of Business

Old 06-02-2011, 11:53 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is Sig Manufacturing Goig Out Of Business

I would love to see re-invent itself and gain back its popularity.I just finished my first scale kit ; 1/4scale spacewalker.it was fun to build.I doubt tower had much to do with the demise of anyone.In fact I think that many many rc companies have done well without tower.much of what tower sells is very generic and has mass appeal.I would to see sig introduce kits new and revised kits .all I read anymore is arguments for and against arfs .sig could fill a big void for those of us enjoying building planes from balsa.

It would be helful if the new ownership released information about what they want to achieve and re-enforcethat they want ti build back the stature that hazel achieved.they were wonderful people!
Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 PM
foodstick

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can just about guarantee you the SIG guys are trying to get the place as lean as possible, line up new suppliers, and try to find the MAGIC mix of kits and arfs to offer. honestly, I don't know how anyone sleeps wondering what will be in the next arf shipment...

I was lucky enough to be in the building area a few times with a local hobby shop owner..Its just something to be in there, looking at the actual models from the boxs, and many other cool things...
Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Talked a bit w/Dave Martin at Toledo Show. He said my 4star40 arf order is still valid, on the books, and they have plans to crank up production soon. Of course I heard the same thing from Dave Patrick Models (Cermark) 2 years ago about the Super Cub. Nothing from them yet.[:@] I'm thinking it's a royal pain in the behind to get the Chinese to build this stuff, so I'm not going to worry about it any more. Time to get back to kit building. I have a KMP T-28 on order and mostly paid for, but yes, I'm STILL waiting on the Chinese to build it. Good luck on that one, eh, Andrew?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Aiden88
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy the 4*40 kit for $87 and you will be flying it long before the ARF ever gets to you. I just picked one up last Friday and hope to fly it in a couple weeks. The build is going together quick.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:57 AM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Aiden88

Buy the 4*40 kit for $87 and you will be flying it long before the ARF ever gets to you. I just picked one up last Friday and hope to fly it in a couple weeks. The build is going together quick.

I know that's the most reasonable way to go, but I've built about 5 of those and, frankly, I'm tired now. I want one all built so all I have to do is transfer the engine and radio from the old one and I'm done. Retired and lazy? Yup.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM
RCShadow

ORIGINAL: Daniel-EL

I know that's the most reasonable way to go, but I've built about 5 of those and, frankly, I'm tired now. I want one all built so all I have to do is transfer the engine and radio from the old one and I'm done. Retired and lazy? Yup.
That's not lazy Daniel...sometimes you just want to fly

Great you made it to retirement...at the rate the economy is going, I hope us guys not yet retired actually make it to retirement <sigh>
Old 06-16-2011, 07:03 PM
cjet

Great Service... I placed an order with Sig on the Internet early 6-13-11 and got my order today, 6-16-11.

This was with the regular shipping selection via UPS.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:14 AM
ameyam

Do Sig or any of their suppliers ship overseas? I am looking for a Astro Hog / Hog Bipe ever since it stopped shipping from Tower

Ameyam
Old 06-17-2011, 03:05 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

I have been in contact with SIG about the Rascal 110 and this is the email I received.

Dear Robert,

We do not have the ARF kits you asked about at this time. We have placed an order with the manufacturer in China and hope to have several of these kits available this fall. The first kits to return will be the Rascal 110, Kadet LT-40, and Kadet Senior ARFs. The other kits will be coming soon after the first group. The new Rascal 110 will have flaps, but the final pricing has not been established as yet with the manufacturer there.

When the shipment departs from China, we will place a notice to that affect on our web site to let everyone know they will be available again soon.

If you wish, we can put your name on the reserve kit list we are keeping for them. When the kits are shipped from the manufacturer, we will contact you to see whether you still want the products and will let you know the pricing at that time.

Sincerely,

David Falkenhagen

Sig Manufacturing Co., Inc.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:35 AM
RCShadow

CNN reported today that GE is bringing jobs back to the US (insourcing)! The report stated that this will be a trend because in China, wages are going up each year by 15%-20%. Check it out yourself...

http://money.cnn.com/2011/06/17/news....htm?hpt=hp_t2

...I don't know about you guys but I would rather have fewer planes knowing I paid a little more to support someone making it here in the good ole USA!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:30 PM
Thisstrangeengine

I currently have two Sig models. One of them is a Morrisey Bravo almost finished, and the other is a Kobra still NIB. One of these day I will build the Kobra but will probably not build the kit. I will make duplicate parts and build it from scratch to save the original... Only because they re getting scarce in my area. All the local hobby store sell anymore are trainers and foamie park fliers.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:32 PM
RCShadow

ORIGINAL: Thisstrangeengine

All the local hobby store sell anymore are trainers and foamie park fliers.

Sign of the LEAN times my friend, sign of the times \m/
Old 06-17-2011, 05:59 PM
Aiden88
My Feedback: (5)

I don't blame you for not wanting to build, especially if you've built five of them.

I finished my 4 Star .40 build in two weeks and three days working mostly a few hours in the evenings and some over the weekends. I did the maiden flight last night. Powered her with a OS .52 four banger w/ a 12x6 prop. She flew better than I ever expected... What an awesome airplane.

ORIGINAL: RCShadow

ORIGINAL: Daniel-EL

That's not lazy Daniel...sometimes you just want to fly

Great you made it to retirement...at the rate the economy is going, I hope us guys not yet retired actually make it to retirement <sigh>
</sigh>
Old 06-27-2011, 04:32 PM
fireman rich

I have two SIG ARFs that I love(ed) to fly. First was the SIG Something Extra. I still fly this plane on a regular basis and get lots of enjoyment from it. The second ARF that I purchased was a Kadet Senior which I used to teach mydaughters how to fly. This was such a fun plane to fly. Ihave retired this plane as I recovered the ARF with purple, hot pink and white monokote and custom graphics. The plane has a special place in my heart and will just be a show piece to remind me of the fun I had teaching my daughters how to fly.

Which brings me to my point. RecentlyI purchased a Kadet Senior kit off eBay. It was missing the build sheets. I contacted SIG and was able to purchase plans for building which will commence within the week. I was told (at the time of order) that SIG is bringing back the kit as well as the ARF. I was told that ARF/kits should be available toward the end of summer. This Kadet Senior kit is being built for my nephew, which isa very long winded way of saying that I hope SIG can get their feet back on the ground and weather the economic crisis of the times. I have such great memories from flying their kits that I wish them the best.

Old 06-29-2011, 03:16 PM
dls
My Feedback: (113)

just picked up a Senior Kadet kit from Advantage Hobby then noticed that RC Country in Sac has them in stock, good to see Sig back