Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Black Horse Pitts

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Black Horse Pitts

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 03:59 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Horse Pitts

I thought this airplane would generate a lot of interest, but I have not seen much. I have a build thread going on over on RG Groups.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17035.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1620101  
Old 06-07-2011, 04:31 AM
G.Barber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Black Horse Pitts

What's RC Groups?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 AM
kerwin50

Have you flown your pitts yet?
I'm waiting to find out more about her.
I'm very dissapointed at the new pitts and GP discountinuing thiers.
So when I seen yours I started getting excited again
Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 AM
bps

No I have not flown yet, still in the assembly stages but getting closer. I still need a receiver battery and receiver to coplete things. Here is a link to the assembly thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378167
Old 06-15-2011, 02:38 AM
bps

I have not flown the Pitts yet, still in the process of finishing up details. About all that is left to do is add a receiver and balance the plane. Here is where my delimma starts. The plans state the CG is located 70-77mm (2.75591-3.0135 inches) behind the leading edge of the top wing. I just can not believe that this is correct. Took the Pitts to my club meeting Monday and talked to a few of the top pilots in the club. Actually found one with a 1/4 scale Pitts from some ARF company I have never heard of before. Point being here we talked CG. This planes CG is located 6" behind the leading edge of the top wing, or about at the leading edge of the lower wing! Pilot states it flys very well, not to sensitive and slows down to a very comfortable landing speed.

I decided to visit some full scale CG calculations and found the Pitts S1 CG is located somewhere around the leading edge of the lower wing, plus 1" to minus 4.5".

Visited the 1/4 scale Great Planes Christian Eagle information page CG 6 1/8" behind leading edge of top wing. Also spoke with many others about finding the correct CG for this plane and stumbled upon a very simple method of calculating the CG. Tried it first on my friends Pitts that is flying. Worked out to be the exact location he is using. So with all of the information I have accumulated the CG for my Pitts will be just in front of the leading edge of the lower wing. Moving this forward would result in the addition of lead to the nose but more importantly a needlessly (I think) nose heavy model. Based on my research my plane is just a touch nose heavy and if I am correct then a few of these converted to electric that have flown are very nose heavy. I am going to send a e-mail off to Global Hobbies about this before I fly. More to come!
Old 06-15-2011, 03:22 AM
kerwin50

Have you asked those guys that are flying the electric version how it feels.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:34 AM
Bill Diedrich

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

On my quarter scale Pitts S2B, the one Cermark had at one
time the CG was 1/4" in front of the rear center cabine attachment
point, flew extremely well. Looking forward to a flight review,
great looking plane, might just have to put one on the list to join
my hanger.

Bill D.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:38 AM
bps

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

Have you asked those guys that are flying the electric version how it feels.

The impression I get is that moving the CG rearward is an improvement. They say it flys fast and lands fast and weights are about 13 pounds. I am going to try mine at 5 inches (127mm) and that is about 1" farther forward than I think it should be. My plane tips the scales at 12 pounds without fuel.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:18 PM
telejojo

I put a DLE 20in mine with smoke and it flys great, takeoffs and landings are fun and an adventure but it's a pretty good plane for the money.Oh one other thing the firewall is like crepe paper,it needs some work.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:24 AM
bps

ORIGINAL: telejojo

I put a DLE 20in mine with smoke and it flys great, takeoffs and landings are fun and an adventure but it's a pretty good plane for the money.Oh one other thing the firewall is like crepe paper,it needs some work.

Can I ask just where your CG is located?

Thanks
Old 07-03-2011, 03:15 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Ordered one throught the LHS. Can't beat it for $200! Been wanting a red and white Pitts since I started flying.

Is there any video of this plane?
Old 07-03-2011, 03:38 PM
JimmyZep

I just got a new Model Airplane News Sep 11.

It has the BH Pitts on the cover and a review inside and there
website has a video.

Jimmy
Old 07-03-2011, 06:05 PM
kerwin50

so Your flying with a DLE 20
Old 07-04-2011, 03:12 AM
bps

This is on sale now for $199!

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-size-arf.html
Old 07-04-2011, 03:15 AM
bps

ORIGINAL: JimmyZep

I just got a new Model Airplane News Sep 11.

It has the BH Pitts on the cover and a review inside and there
website has a video.

Jimmy
I am not a subscriber, was it a good article? I am still undecided about the cg. Can you share their findings?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2011, 05:02 AM
JimmyZep

Here's the video:

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/bhpitts

Jimmy
Old 07-04-2011, 08:26 AM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: bps

This is on sale now for $199!

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...-size-arf.html
That's why I decided to jump. My guy at the LHS said that that there was only 15 available to him (global hobby dist.). Don't know if Hobby People have more than that. I would not hesitate at that price though.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:31 AM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: JimmyZep

Here's the video:

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/bhpitts

Jimmy
Very nice. Glad I bought one!
Old 07-06-2011, 12:19 PM
ado9518

Hi everybody,
maidened mine last sunday. Set up as per instruction manual, found control throws to be too short especially on elevator. I'mplanning on moving CG aft up to the limit of lower wing t.e.. I scratch built an 1/4 Pitts S1-Syears ago. I had no idea where the CG was supposed to be. By trial and error (at least one BIG error) I found that balancing on lower wing t.e was good enough for me and flew it quite a long time (currently under repair due to radio failure). BH Pitts is actually 28% scale, mine has a CRRC GP26R up front and has unlimited vertical, normal fligth at 1/3 throttle. Used the included motor mount and that helps to reduce vibrations transmitted to airframe. Had to reinforce the firewall anyway because of poor glue joints.
With a gasser and both battery packs moved as far forward as possible, had to add about 240g of lead to get close (but not match) CG called by manual. I would recommend reinforcing wheel pants: I broke one in my shop and the other at the second flight from a rough grass field.
Ground handling looks very good to me, just a hint of rigth rudder on take off.
Hope above informations can be useful to somebody.

Have good flights!
Old 07-06-2011, 01:09 PM
mrbigg

ORIGINAL: ado9518

Hi everybody,
maidened mine last sunday. Set up as per instruction manual, found control throws to be too short especially on elevator. I'mplanning on moving CG aft up to the limit of lower wing t.e.. I scratch built an 1/4 Pitts S1-Syears ago. I had no idea where the CG was supposed to be. By trial and error (at least one BIG error) I found that balancing on lower wing t.e was good enough for me and flew it quite a long time (currently under repair due to radio failure). BH Pitts is actually 28% scale, mine has a CRRC GP26R up front and has unlimited vertical, normal fligth at 1/3 throttle. Used the included motor mount and that helps to reduce vibrations transmitted to airframe. Had to reinforce the firewall anyway because of poor glue joints.
With a gasser and both battery packs moved as far forward as possible, had to add about 240g of lead to get close (but not match) CG called by manual. I would recommend reinforcing wheel pants: I broke one in my shop and the other at the second flight from a rough grass field.

Have good flights!
[sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 07-07-2011, 03:16 AM
bps

ORIGINAL: ado9518

Hi everybody,

Have good flights!
Congrats on the maiden! I am guessing that you mean the leading edge of the lower wing for cg location. This is where the full scale balances as well as the other ARF's I have looked at. I have a Micro Indoor Pitts from plans and it balances at the lower wing leading edge as well. I think the cg for this kit is way to far forward. On my plane a pound of lead is needed to get the the factory suggested cg. I have not flown it yet, still need to buy a receiver.

Thanks for the report, keep us updated please!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:32 AM
kerwin50

what motor are you using?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:43 AM
ado9518

Yes, you are rigth, I meant Leading Edge and NOT t.e. of the lower wing. I you want to be secure balace somewere between lower l.e. and what is recommended by manual and see how it feels. Mine balances about 8mm aft of the point recommended and the plane is very stable, Iwould say too much stable for this kind of plane. Also inverted fligth requires lots of down stick.

To kerwin50
motor is CRRC GP26R, just another inexpensive chinese motor with rear carburetor. I don't know how good it will be on the long run, but for now it has lots of power and never lost a beat. I soldered an aluminum home made muffler to fit inside the cowl without cutting anything. At the moment (knock on wood) I am very satisfied with it.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:17 PM
kerwin50

I'd love to see some pic's
Old 07-07-2011, 04:00 PM
pkoury
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The impression I get is that moving the CG rearward is an improvement. They say it flys fast and lands fast and weights are about 13 pounds. I am going to try mine at 5 inches (127mm) and that is about 1'' farther forward than I think it should be. My plane tips the scales at 12 pounds without fuel.
[/quote]

What is your concern over the manufactures CG? On every biplane I have ever had, except for the Beechcraft Staggerwing, the CG was always around the leading edge of the lower wing. Moving the CG one inch forward will make for a nose heavy airplane that may run out of elevator authority on landing that could result in landing gear damage.

PS: On the Beechcraft Staggerwing the CG was at the leading edge of the top wing since this airplane had the lower wing in front of the upper wing, (negative stagger).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.